2018 draft fits with this team

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great post! Kings are totally lost at the moment. They had perfectly good vets to mentor but they decided to break the bank with couple of new ones letting the others go with cheap contracts. They play a system that is the opposite what the analytics would suggest, system that is compleately opposite that our franchise player needs to play in. We have our future front court with skal and wcs but we start Zbo who looks awful. Our priorities should be getting as good draft pick as possible and develope our young players but we play ton of vets in a system that has no place in todays nba. Just seems like there is no vision.
Way premature IMHO to decide we've actually got a "franchise player".

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
none of us can say with certainty that we know what players are going to fit here, it's too early. They have only played two games so far, some players will come out and surprise us and some might flop. Who's to say?
That, and we have no idea what our roster will be like at the end of the year. Not just due to development of the players we have but the inevitable upcoming trades.

I think this premise:

1) is somewhat pervasive around here;
2) and the odds are somewhere between unlikely and unclear

Sounds grim. I would not be surprised if both are gone next year. Giles taking one spot. Kings drafting a center(Bagley, Jaren Jackson, or Bamba), trading for one, or looking at free agency.

I think WCS is a solid role player. Probably won't develop his mental game. Skal has potential to be a role player. Right now, he's not even that.

If we land out of top 4 i hope we come away with Jackson. Think he is perfect big for todays NBA being a tenacious rebounder, exceptional shot blocker, and in offense a dangerous 3 pt threat which soaces the floor.

Earlier in year i would have went with Bamba, but Bamba hasnt shown a 3pt shot defenses would be worried about and has terrible instincts.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If we land out of top 4 i hope we come away with Jackson. Think he is perfect big for todays NBA being a tenacious rebounder, exceptional shot blocker, and in offense a dangerous 3 pt threat which soaces the floor.

Earlier in year i would have went with Bamba, but Bamba hasnt shown a 3pt shot defenses would be worried about and has terrible instincts.
Actually that's an understatement. Bamba is shooting around 17% from the three. The more I watch Bamba, the lower he goes on my board...

I like Jackson too. I'm seriously considering Trae Young now too if we miss out on Ayton/Doncic/Bagley/Porter Jr.

I hope it won't come down to it though.

Yeah, Trae Young is gaining momentum. He is quick, can shoot the lights out, and seems to have a good handle and very good passing skills. Defense???
nbadraft.net has now moved him top 5 on their board with a comparison to Mike Bibby.

I'm worried about our chances at landing a franchise player if we fall out of the top 4. There are a lot of good prospects on the board but the possible franchise players have big bust potential.

Trae Young's impressive skills are obvious but he is as small as it gets. His shoulders are as narrow as mine are. He's going to get torched on defense. He does get a good amount of steals, which helps combat the fact that he's going to get over powered and blown by a lot. He can shoot it from anywhere, gets to the line, can handle the ball and passes at a pretty high level. Jimmer could shoot from anywhere as well but he never had the ball handling and passing/driving skills that Young has. I think he has big bust potential but the Steph Curry potential is there as well. Risky pick, especially when we have Fox.

Jaron Jackson has a lot of impressive skills but he also looks like he has high bust potential to me. Looks very unpolished at times, which leads to his less than impressive shooting efficiency. Has the potential to be a great defender but can he turn into more than that? If Giles can come back, this makes him a redundant pick but we can't count on Giles.

Kevin Knox is interesting. Could be our full sized SF going forward. Could also develop into the best player on the team in the same vain as some of the other star SFs in the league but he's so inconsistent, it's difficult to gauge him. I expected more. It'll be interesting to see if he can become more consistent and play at a higher level by the end of the season. If so, I'd be fairly comfortable with him going forward.

I like both Bridges but I don't see franchise potential from either one of them. Nice pieces but not franchise changers.

Wendell Carter is another nice piece and has received a lot of Horford comparisons. If we came away with a Horford clone, I'd be more than happy with that if we aren't picking top 4.

I see us in the Top 8-10. Right Now, we're 8. If the vets are here for the season, then I could see the Kings winning around the same as last year. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Trae Young is gaining momentum. He is quick, can shoot the lights out, and seems to have a good handle and very good passing skills. Defense???
nbadraft.net has now moved him top 5 on their board with a comparison to Mike Bibby.
Boy, I'm not sure where they get the Mike Bibby comparison. I mean the Curry comparison is far closer than Bibby. Especially when your compare their size, stats and style of play. As for as handles, Young looks like he has the ball on a string at times. Actually, right now the only criticism I would have, other than some of the crazy shots he takes, would be his lack of strength, and whether he'll be a decent defender. He does have a low release on his jumpshot, but he gets it off so quickly that so far it's not a problem. If the defender turns his head even for a second, he's either past you, or he's shot the ball. He has his head up all the time.

Call me old fashioned but I like my team to have a star big man who can control the boards, lock down the paint and protected the basket. It’s even better if that big man can be manace in the post offensively.

With that in mind I would love the Kings to get Ayton. My reasoning for this is that I simply don’t trust WCS to control the boards and protect the paint consistently. I like WCS but more as my other “role playing” big. Skal is not much of a vacuum on the boards either.

Now Giles is a big unknown. He reportedly is a great rebounder but a lot of hope is getting pinned to his knees and him catching up on two years of missed development. While the league is getting smaller, quality big man will always have a role, especially if they affect the game on boths ends of the court.

Ayton will develop his long range jumper out to behind the 3pt line but his presence both offensively and defensively would make life easier for the rest of the young players on the team especially perimeter players. All of a sudden with one player that is a nucleus there for some serious long term potential.

SF would still be a bit troublesome but I feel that it would be a easier to get a good SF in free agency or trade than it would be to get a franchise level big man.

Now trick will be getting a pick early enough to get Ayton.

Call me old fashioned but I like my team to have a star big man who can control the boards, lock down the paint and protected the basket. It’s even better if that big man can be manace in the post offensively.

With that in mind I would love the Kings to get Ayton. My reasoning for this is that I simply don’t trust WCS to control the boards and protect the paint consistently. I like WCS but more as my other “role playing” big. Skal is not much of a vacuum on the boards either.

Now Giles is a big unknown. He reportedly is a great rebounder but a lot of hope is getting pinned to his knees and him catching up on two years of missed development. While the league is getting smaller, quality big man will always have a role, especially if they affect the game on boths ends of the court.

Ayton will develop his long range jumper out to behind the 3pt line but his presence both offensively and defensively would make life easier for the rest of the young players on the team especially perimeter players. All of a sudden with one player that is a nucleus there for some serious long term potential.

SF would still be a bit troublesome but I feel that it would be a easier to get a good SF in free agency or trade than it would be to get a franchise level big man.

Now trick will be getting a pick early enough to get Ayton.
I think Ayton has yet to show that he can lock down the paint and protect the basket thus far. He has all the tools to do it but his per40 block numbers are half or less than half of what WCS, Skal and a comparable guy like Embiid showed when they were in college. Offensively he's been better than all those guys up until this point (comparing his to their college careers) but defensively he has yet to show that he can be an above average rim protector for a guy with his physical makeup. That's really my only knock on him and Marvin Bagley so far. Both great prospects but they're lacking in the 2 way department.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm curious as to what the people here who watch the college game quite a bit think about big man Robert Williams. Is he a guy that moves the needle for people?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here's a dark horse guy....Malik Pope from SAn Diego State. 2 years ago was a possible high pick but stayed in school. Now he doesn't appear to be on any mock draft lists but I like his size as a SF and skill set. Possible 2 nd round pick or FA signing if he doesn't get drafted. Local kid.

I'm curious as to what the people here who watch the college game quite a bit think about big man Robert Williams. Is he a guy that moves the needle for people?
I haven't watched too much of Williams this year, but he's missed a few games because of very minor injuries. Gathering from what I saw last season(plus a game this year vs. Arizona), I don't think he's in the same prospect tier as Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, and Porter Jr. I see him as a guy with great role player potential who can lock down the defensive floor like DeAndre. I'm not saying they are the same type of player, but their roles would be very similar. In all honesty, I don't see a scenario where we draft him. His offensive ceiling just isn't as high as the others. I think the Kings will be in the hunt for franchise players. I would take Bamba over him right now.

I think Ayton has yet to show that he can lock down the paint and protect the basket thus far. He has all the tools to do it but his per40 block numbers are half or less than half of what WCS, Skal and a comparable guy like Embiid showed when they were in college. Offensively he's been better than all those guys up until this point (comparing his to their college careers) but defensively he has yet to show that he can be an above average rim protector for a guy with his physical makeup. That's really my only knock on him and Marvin Bagley so far. Both great prospects but they're lacking in the 2 way department.
Ayton defense is a bigger weakness than Doncic he’s poor at that end

He is an elite athlete who rebounds well and has shown some ability to defend. Offensively, he can dunk. He has shown almost no improvement from last year which is a red flag for me.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Williams is 6'9" PF with a big wingspan that protects the rim and defends the pick and roll fairly well. He's also an excellent rebounder. So if your looking for a defensive rebounding big man, he's your guy. If your looking for a stretch four, look elsewhere. At least at this point in time. My problem with Williams this year, and I'm sure this isn't how he planned his year to go, is that I've seen zero improvement from last season. He's also missed, I think four games due to suspension for violating school regulations (not explained) and injury. Most of his scoring, if not all, is at the basket. He has little to no game away from the basket. Personally I think he made a mistake by going back to A&M for another year. Last year he would have been a mid-lottery pick. This year, who knows? There are a lot more big men in this draft that will be taken before him.

Agree with pretty much everything you guys have said. I would trade the pick before picking Williams. Has backup role player written all over him. Plus he's semi redundant with WCS on the team.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Their mock has Williams going 10th but I don't see how any team would pick him over the Bridges or Wendell Carter unless they really have a specific need for what he brings to the table. Too many other intriguing prospects who can potentially do way more things that are on the board after him in that mock.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Since I just revised my top 20, I'll go ahead and post it. It will in all likelyhood change again.

1. Luka Doncic
2. DeAndre Ayton
3. Marvin Bagley
4. Trae Young
5. Michael Porter
6. Jaren Jackson
7. Mikal Bridges
8. Miles Bridges
9. Collin Sexton
10. Mohamed Bamba
11. Wendal Carter
12. Kevin Knox
13. Robert Williams
14. Trevon Duval
15. Brandon McCoy
16. Gary Trent Jr.
17. Lonnie Walker
18. Hamidou Diallo
19. Mitchell Robinson
20. Dzanan Musa

You could probably switch 7 and 8 depending on what your looking for. I think Gary Trent might end up being a much better player than the expectations of where he's drafted. Ditto Diallo! If Duval could just shoot a little bit he'd be top ten prospect.

Since I just revised my top 20, I'll go ahead and post it. It will in all likelyhood change again.

1. Luka Doncic
2. DeAndre Ayton
3. Marvin Bagley
4. Trae Young
5. Michael Porter
6. Jaren Jackson
7. Mikal Bridges
8. Miles Bridges
9. Collin Sexton
10. Mohamed Bamba
11. Wendal Carter
12. Kevin Knox
13. Robert Williams
14. Trevon Duval
15. Brandon McCoy
16. Gary Trent Jr.
17. Lonnie Walker
18. Hamidou Diallo
19. Mitchell Robinson
20. Dzanan Musa

You could probably switch 7 and 8 depending on what your looking for. I think Gary Trent might end up being a much better player than the expectations of where he's drafted. Ditto Diallo! If Duval could just shoot a little bit he'd be top ten prospect.
If Trae Young is the 4th best prospect in this draft, there is little to get excited about and the Kings should just try to make the playoffs instead of "tank".

Trae Young would get destroyed by DeAaron and Mason. Young does not have an NBA body. His shooting may allow him to be a nice backup PG.

Young is a smooth player but I don't see elite quickness there which is kind of important when you have a frail physique and average length.

Ayton is far and away the superior prospect to Doncic. It is not even close. Ayton may be the best prospect to come into our league in 10 years. He's an unbelievable prospect.

One of the few things our former GM did right (who set back the franchise 5-10 years with Ben, Nik and Isaiah) was try to move up in the draft to get Embiid. He wasn't successful but he had the right idea.

Ayton is a better prospect than Embiid without the foot issues. Embiid is more talented than Boogie Cousins.

So you have a guy who projects as the most dominant big man into the NBA. You don't think the Kings could take the league by storm with Buddy, Boggy, Fox Mason and Ayton. This team would awesome!

Our rebounding issues and interior defense issues would be immediately solved. We would easily be able to run offense through him and unlike Z-Bo he would not give back all the points he creates on one end by allowing equal or more on the other.

Ayton is going to be force defensively AND offensively!

The irony of Ayton is that our mostly clueless GM has stockpiled at least 4 centers on this roster none of them displaying capability as a starter:
  • Willie
  • Papa G
  • Koufos
  • Randolph
It is debatable if Skal and Giles best position is center or PF.

In spite of this, I think the Kings would absolutely jump at the opportunity to get Ayton #1 (like all other 29 teams I suspect) and balance their roster (via likely fire sale) thereafter.

Doncic may not be quick enough to play PG. And he certainly cannot guard PGs. This is not even a debate. I cannot comment on the other players yet but I see some glaring issues with your list.

As of now I would put Ayton at the top of the list, however its unlikely we pick that high so a few things to watch. So assuming we pick out of the top five.

Who will be the better PG prospect, Sexton or Young? Although not the lights out shooter of Young, Sexton has better size, strength and defence. If one stands out when we pick, I dont pass on the best player just because we have PGs.

I'm also curious who will be the better SF, Knox or Miles Bridges. Both may be better suited as smallish PFs but I'm not interested in them at that position.
With Porter likely a top five pick regardless of injury, Knox and Bridges are worth watching. I was not happy we traded down from 10 and picked JJ at 15. Giles hopefully will erase my dislike of Vlades trading down.

Its early, but there is always a player that ends up outside the top five who can change a teams fortune. We just rarely get them.

If Trae Young is the 4th best prospect in this draft, there is little to get excited about and the Kings should just try to make the playoffs instead of "tank".

Trae Young would get destroyed by DeAaron and Mason. Young does not have an NBA body. His shooting may allow him to be a nice backup PG.

Young is a smooth player but I don't see elite quickness there which is kind of important when you have a frail physique and average length.

Ayton is far and away the superior prospect to Doncic. It is not even close. Ayton may be the best prospect to come into our league in 10 years. He's an unbelievable prospect.

One of the few things our former GM did right (who set back the franchise 5-10 years with Ben, Nik and Isaiah) was try to move up in the draft to get Embiid. He wasn't successful but he had the right idea.

Ayton is a better prospect than Embiid without the foot issues. Embiid is more talented than Boogie Cousins.

So you have a guy who projects as the most dominant big man into the NBA. You don't think the Kings could take the league by storm with Buddy, Boggy, Fox Mason and Ayton. This team would awesome!

Our rebounding issues and interior defense issues would be immediately solved. We would easily be able to run offense through him and unlike Z-Bo he would not give back all the points he creates on one end by allowing equal or more on the other.

The irony of Ayton is that our mostly clueless GM has stockpiled at least 4 centers on this roster none of them displaying capability as a starter:
  • Willie
  • Papa G
  • Koufos
  • Randolph

In spite of this, I think the Kings would absolutely jump at the opportunity to get Ayton #1 (like all other 29 teams I suspect) and balance their roster (via likely fire sale) thereafter.

Doncic may not be quick enough to play PG. And he certainly cannot guard PGs. This is not even a debate. I cannot comment on the other players yet but I see some glaring issues with your list.
Haha no he’s not he does nothing better than Embiid did at Kansas add in Ayton being a bad defender.

Both absurd statements ridiculous man there’s not one draft he goes number 1 in the last 5 years

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

• Willie
  • Papa G
  • Koufos
  • Randolph

Ayton a better prospect than Embiid? Good one. Embiid was all ready making NBA post moves at Kansas. He was a star in the making and that was a given so long as health issues didn't hold him back. He is fluid and smooth for a seven footer and very agile too.

I agree with you on Young though, not a fan of him at this moment. Maybe if I watch him more as the season goes along I'll change my mind but I'm not impressed.

Lastly, people are sleeping on Kevin Knox. It's a shame, he has a lot of tools you can develop him into a quality NBA player IMO.