2018 draft fits with this team

I wouldn’t! Fox will be an all star. People are quick to jump on or off the bandwagon and the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Fox is the type of player that will give you all-star level production for 10+ years. He would be the last player Kings would want to trade.

The way I see it, SF is a big need for this team as is a quality big man who you could go to on the low block and that player also needs to be a hell of a rebounder. Now if all the hype around Giles is true (C-Webb 2.0) then the need for a big guy is not as huge.

Dončić is a SF primarily but more of a point forward. The same way Dejan Bodiroga was a SF but he initiated the offence and was the guy on his teams in Europe.

WCS shows flashes but his inconsistency infuriates me and I can’t trust him enough to be a consistent double double big that anchors the defense and protects the paint.

I still like Dončić and Ayton the most for this team. I like Porter but the back surgery petrifies me. Back surgeries at that age never end well. Players are never the same after back surgeries.

The question I have is, if Kings draft Ayton, would people be willing to trade WCS for a pick that gives them a change at a SF like Bridges or Porter if his stocks slides that much? I think I would even if it means losing something/someone else with WCS.
If the Kings took Ayton, and WCS continues to improve, then I think we would trade Willie. I don't think he fetches anything in the top 10 because he's about to become a RFA. By then, I don't think Porter Jr would be available. Miles or Mikal, maybe.

Fox
Bogdanovic
Miles
?
Ayton

Kings would just need to find a stretch 4 somewhere. You hold Fox to a high praise, so something to think about would be fit. I think Fox and Ayton can play together, but Ayton is a 1/2 court player, while Fox isn't. Fox's game is speed, speed, speed, and more speed. Meanwhile, Ayton is more like LaMarcus Aldride in terms of tempo. If you're pegging Fox as some type of 10+year All-Star, then the fit would be concerning. For me, Ayton would be the star, while Fox would be in the role of your 3rd best player. I'd have no problem pairing the two together, just as long as Ayton is the center piece. If you make Fox the center piece, Ayton wouldn't be the best fit.

If the Kings truly see Fox as our franchise player, then Marvin Bagley would make a lot more sense. In that case, I don't think you would need to trade Willie.

Yes. It's not that I think Fox will end up as a bad player (he won't), but if we get the chance to draft Doncic, I'm not convinced that both could reach their potential in the same backcourt. I think that Doncic is a POINT-GUARD not a Point-Forward. He's a better playmaker than anyone the Kings have, so there's no reason to play him off-ball. I would be drafting Doncic to be our franchise player. Put players around him that fit him best. Don't think that's Fox.

Here's what I would do with the Kings:
PG: Doncic
SG: Bogdanovic
SF: Bridges
PF: ?
C: WCS

If Doncic is your franchise player, you have to put a roster around him that suits his playing style. Both Bridges will do that.
Even if this were true you still keep Fox too many minutes nobody outside the top 5 in this draft will be better.

You start
Doncic-Buddy-Bogdan-WCS and than have Fox lead the bench

If the Kings took Ayton, and WCS continues to improve, then I think we would trade Willie. I don't think he fetches anything in the top 10 because he's about to become a RFA. By then, I don't think Porter Jr would be available. Miles or Mikal, maybe.

Fox
Bogdanovic
Miles
?
Ayton

Kings would just need to find a stretch 4 somewhere. You hold Fox to a high praise, so something to think about would be fit. I think Fox and Ayton can play together, but Ayton is a 1/2 court player, while Fox isn't. Fox's game is speed, speed, speed, and more speed. Meanwhile, Ayton is more like LaMarcus Aldride in terms of tempo. If you're pegging Fox as some type of 10+year All-Star, then the fit would be concerning. For me, Ayton would be the star, while Fox would be in the role of your 3rd best player. I'd have no problem pairing the two together, just as long as Ayton is the center piece. If you make Fox the center piece, Ayton wouldn't be the best fit.

If the Kings truly see Fox as our franchise player, then Marvin Bagley would make a lot more sense. In that case, I don't think you would need to trade Willie.
If the Kings are at 2-3 and the Celtics are at 4-5 it could be a very interesting development. The Celtics I think would want Ayton and might make an interesting offer to the Kings to get him. The question is would we take it to move down a couple slots?

Man, I want Ayton! The man is a Tim Duncan and Olajuwan wrapped into a Beast! Get rid of whoever you have to. He is going to be in line as the next great Big! Shoots 3s, Rebounds, has a mid range, passes great, and the total package.
I haven't gotten to watch Ayton. How well does he run in transition? If our faster players ( Fox, Mason, WCS, etc) have to slow the pace down do you think he is still worth it?

To wit: I don't believe the style of BB we play now is what Vlade and even Joerger envision 2-3+ years from now after the current training wheels ( Z-Bo, Hill) are removed. I think as early as next season we will see a much quicker style of offense and I am wondering if we would be going from one lumbering big in Zach to another in Ayton. Slower bigs won't cut it anymore unless maybe paired with AD, and the jury is still out on that one.

I haven't gotten to watch Ayton. How well does he run in transition? If our faster players ( Fox, Mason, WCS, etc) have to slow the pace down do you think he is still worth it?

To wit: I don't believe the style of BB we play now is what Vlade and even Joerger envision 2-3+ years from now after the current training wheels ( Z-Bo, Hill) are removed. I think as early as next season we will see a much quicker style of offense and I am wondering if we would be going from one lumbering big in Zach to another in Ayton. Slower bigs won't cut it anymore unless maybe paired with AD, and the jury is still out on that one.
He’s fast and gets up and down the floor quick his weakness is his defense he’s mediocre

It's hard to forecast anything with this team. If Joerger is going to be here for awhile, then Ayton perfectly fits his system. In fact, Joerger is probably salivating at the thought. Then again, I would be really shocked if Joerger is here 3 years from now. Really shocked. The same with Vlade. For a team that has zero and I mean zero track record for stability. Maybe, it's in the process of changing. But, as long at Vivek is at the helm, I have a suspicion, it won't anytime soon.

Regardless, Team needs to draft for talent, not need. From what I see, Kings have some nice pieces.But, no real Stars. Whoever is there when they pick: Porter, Bagley, Doncic, Ayton. They just have to take the one with most All Star potential. Worry about the rest later.

If Porter’s back wasn’t messed up he was a great fit with us. But disk problems are scary as they can reoccur. I wonder about Jaren Jackson at Michigan State.

If Porter’s back wasn’t messed up he was a great fit with us. But disk problems are scary as they can reoccur. I wonder about Jaren Jackson at Michigan State.
Agree on both counts. He looked very promising. Hopefully ( for him and whoever drafts him) he will make a full recovery. As someone with chronic spinal issues for 20+ years, I can relate to how devastating it can be. Ruined my life. edit: up to now.

It's hard to forecast anything with this team. If Joerger is going to be here for awhile, then Ayton perfectly
fits his system. In fact, Joerger is probably salivating at the thought. Then again, I would be really shocked if Joerger is here 3 years from now. Really shocked. The same with Vlade. For a team that has zero and I mean zero track record for stability. Maybe, it's in the process of changing. But, as long at Vivek is at the helm, I have a suspicion, it won't anytime soon.

Regardless, Team needs to draft for talent, not need. From what I see, Kings have some nice pieces.But, no real Stars. Whoever is there when they pick: Porter, Bagley, Doncic, Ayton. They just have to take the one with most All Star potential. Worry about the rest later.
I have been intrigued by Bagley but he struggles to shoot. A .602 free throw percentage is horrendous.

Jackson by contrast shoots .440 from 3 and .818 from the line.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I have been intrigued by Bagley but he struggles to shoot. A .602 free throw percentage is horrendous.

Jackson by contrast shoots .440 from 3 and .818 from the line.
.602 isn't fantastic by any means but it certainly isn't an abomination for a big man. C-Webb was a career .649 free throw shooter and Tim Duncan a .696 and it didn't really cause them too many problems.

Bagley's not even going to be 19 until March. He's got plenty of time to work on his shot before he calls it a career and you simply can't teach his combination of length and agility.

.602 isn't fantastic by any means but it certainly isn't an abomination for a big man. C-Webb was a career .649 free throw shooter and Tim Duncan a .696 and it didn't really cause them too many problems.

Bagley's not even going to be 19 until March. He's got plenty of time to work on his shot before he calls it a career and you simply can't teach his combination of length and agility.
Yes but in a game where big men are asked to stretch the floor it indicates a problem. Poor free throw shooting is a significant indicator of shooting problems in the pros

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yes but in a game where big men are asked to stretch the floor it indicates a problem. Poor free throw shooting is a significant indicator of shooting problems in the pros
Only if you're anticipating your draft pick never developing. In the modern NBA, stretch forwards are more important than they used to be but (a) Bagley's big enough to see some time at the 5, (b) the fact that he's been annihilating opponents based on his sheer latent talent alone should be more encouraging than the lack of skill should be discouraging, (c) it's not like he's been T-Rob out there.

Players develop and it's not like Bagley's stroke is Lonzo-level broken or anything. With player development being as important as it is in the modern league, you don't draft a guy based on what his numbers tell you this season, you draft him based on what you think you can mould him into in five seasons and aside from maybe Ayton, Bagley's got the highest ceiling in the draft.

Agree on both counts. He looked very promising. Hopefully ( for him and whoever drafts him) he will make a full recovery. As someone with chronic spinal issues for 20+ years, I can relate to how devastating it can be. Ruined my life. edit: up to now.

Isn't stem cell therapy completely changing the narrative on issues like this?

I wouldn't be surprised if the big man that leads to the most wins turns out t be Jackson. His skills compliment a wide variety of other player types. His instincts for blocks indicate a natural defensive feel. His touch at the 3pt line is fantastic. With the size and strength to be a solid rebounder. Id be temtoed to take him over Ayton at this point. Id certainly look to do a D Ainge move and trade back a spot if I was looking at Ayton draft night and snag Jackson plus future 1st or 2 in the process.

I wouldn’t! Fox will be an all star. People are quick to jump on or off the bandwagon and the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Fox is the type of player that will give you all-star level production for 10+ years. He would be the last player Kings would want to trade.

The way I see it, SF is a big need for this team as is a quality big man who you could go to on the low block and that player also needs to be a hell of a rebounder. Now if all the hype around Giles is true (C-Webb 2.0) then the need for a big guy is not as huge.

Dončić is a SF primarily but more of a point forward. The same way Dejan Bodiroga was a SF but he initiated the offence and was the guy on his teams in Europe.

WCS shows flashes but his inconsistency infuriates me and I can’t trust him enough to be a consistent double double big that anchors the defense and protects the paint.

I still like Dončić and Ayton the most for this team. I like Porter but the back surgery petrifies me. Back surgeries at that age never end well. Players are never the same after back surgeries.

The question I have is, if Kings draft Ayton, would people be willing to trade WCS for a pick that gives them a change at a SF like Bridges or Porter if his stocks slides that much? I think I would even if it means losing something/someone else with WCS.
Ayton and Bagley scare me a bit, not because I don't think they're talented, but I just don't see big men having the same impact that they used to. Most of the best teams are ran by the guards with big men that play defense and catch lobs. Ayton would have to turn out like Embiid to have the same sort of impact that Doncic and Porter might possibly have. I don't think Ayton will ever be as good as Embiid because Embiid is a much better defender and was 3x the defender as Ayton at the same age. I'll be curious to see what happens.

You'd have to give up another piece with WCS to get a pick that high and I'm not talking Malachi or someone like that. It would have to be one of our better prospects. I'm not sure we have the depth or trade pieces to do it.

Yes. It's not that I think Fox will end up as a bad player (he won't), but if we get the chance to draft Doncic, I'm not convinced that both could reach their potential in the same backcourt. I think that Doncic is a POINT-GUARD not a Point-Forward. He's a better playmaker than anyone the Kings have, so there's no reason to play him off-ball. I would be drafting Doncic to be our franchise player. Put players around him that fit him best. Don't think that's Fox.

Here's what I would do with the Kings:
PG: Doncic
SG: Bogdanovic
SF: Bridges
PF: ?
C: WCS

If Doncic is your franchise player, you have to put a roster around him that suits his playing style. Both Bridges will do that.
It's all going to depend on Fox's shot from here going forward. I agree that the Bridges would 9/10 be a better fit with Doncic than Fox but Fox is a much more talented prospect than they are so you'd kind of be losing value by trading him for one of them. Which is why I proposed the trade, to see if people would be willing to lose talent for fit when you now have an even better talent running the show.

Suppose we get the 3rd pick and Ayton and Bagley are both off of the board, do you go Trae Young knowing that it most likely pushes Fox to the bench or out of Sac altogether, or do you go Doncic or maybe even Porter?

Bagley, Doncic, Ayton, and Young will all be stars and I’m more sure on Doncic and Bagley. We need to be in the top 4 either on of those guys fit with Young being the worst fit but since he’s a perfect fit with Orlando I can see a draft trade with us to get one of the other guys.

Also I stand by it Jarren Jackson is the best defender in the draft and it’s not close 6 blocked shots again.

My draft board right now would be

1. Doncic- he’ll be a 20-6-5 guy
2. Bagley- 20-10 guy he has that “it” factor
3. Ayton-
4. Young- Has nba game great passer/shooter
5. Porter
6. Jackson- Elite defender with a great shot

Suppose we get the 3rd pick and Ayton and Bagley are both off of the board, do you go Trae Young knowing that it most likely pushes Fox to the bench or out of Sac altogether, or do you go Doncic or maybe even Porter?

I like Fox's potential as much or more than Young. Young could be a really good player, but he looks like a AI type who is going to need a lot of shots to pay off. I get the Curry comps but he's not Steph Curry, he's different. He's also smaller. If you are a small PG and you aren't elite defensively the results are mixed on how far you can take a team.

I personally have Doncic and Porter Jr ahead of Young. I think we'd take them over Young since we already have Fox who the Kings see as our franchise PG.

Ayton and Bagley scare me a bit, not because I don't think they're talented, but I just don't see big men having the same impact that they used to. Most of the best teams are ran by the guards with big men that play defense and catch lobs. Ayton would have to turn out like Embiid to have the same sort of impact that Doncic and Porter might possibly have. I don't think Ayton will ever be as good as Embiid because Embiid is a much better defender and was 3x the defender as Ayton at the same age. I'll be curious to see what happens.

You'd have to give up another piece with WCS to get a pick that high and I'm not talking Malachi or someone like that. It would have to be one of our better prospects. I'm not sure we have the depth or trade pieces to do it.

It's all going to depend on Fox's shot from here going forward. I agree that the Bridges would 9/10 be a better fit with Doncic than Fox but Fox is a much more talented prospect than they are so you'd kind of be losing value by trading him for one of them. Which is why I proposed the trade, to see if people would be willing to lose talent for fit when you now have an even better talent running the show.
I think the game is cyclical. Big men don’t have the impact because there is lack of quality big men around. Take a look back at the 90s and the amount of quality big men that were around.

Good team play to their strengths. No one is going to overlook a young Shaq because he is not a modern game stretch big. With the lack of quality big men around, league has gone smaller but those that have quality big men is the lack of talent that they surrounded the bif man with. If Embiid stays healthy, he will cause that many headaches that teams will look for a big men that can go with him in play off series.

If I can get a franchise level big men, I am getting him and changing the league. Ayton could be a franchise big. Cousins was a crap defender coming into the league but he turned into a good defender. Ayton won’t be a Mutambo like defender but he can be good enough and if you pair him with a good defender at PF you have done well. Offensively, he will be more than fine. The shot will improve and stretch out to 3 just like Cousins has stretched it out to the point where he shoots it TOO much.

It’s way to early to look at the fit for this team. Get the best talent first and foremost, then look at the position of need and then you work out the fit later. These guys are developing and by the time they are finished products, they will be different players to what they are now. Fox in year 1 and Fox in year 4 will be two very different players.

I personally have Doncic and Porter Jr ahead of Young. I think we'd take them over Young since we already have Fox who the Kings see as our franchise PG.
I definitely have doncic over young, but do you take a guy who now has some medical red flags over a guy who can pull up off the dribble from anywhere within half court?

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Fox
Bogdanovic
Miles
?
Ayton

You can't go five minutes without trying to trade Willie, can you? Ridiculous!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The question isn't should we draft Young because we already have Fox, it's, is Young better than Doncic and/or Porter? If not, then you draft either Doncic or Porter, but if you think Young is the best player, then you take him regardless. You should always take the best player on the board regardless of position.

NBA TV had the replay of the Real Madrid game against Moscow from 1/12/18 on today. I only caught the last 10 mins of the game but Doncic's athleticism concerns me.
Same was said about Bogdan and his athleticism is fine and Doncic I believe is a little better of an athlete.

The question isn't should we draft Young because we already have Fox, it's, is Young better than Doncic and/or Porter? If not, then you draft either Doncic or Porter, but if you think Young is the best player, then you take him regardless. You should always take the best player on the board regardless of position.

Agreed,if we are at 5 and Young is there I’m rushing to the stage he has star potential. Take him start Young/Bogdan have Fox/Buddy lead the bench

You can't go five minutes without trying to trade Willie, can you? Ridiculous!
I am not really sold on WCS. Can he can start playing a consistent 18/10 the rest of the year? If not, the Kings need to be looking at the draft, trade, or free agency for a big.

People claim Kings have all these Bigs. None, are dominant or game changers. From what I see currently.