2009 NBA Playoffs Thread

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't know about anyone else but I really liked the format from last year as far as the playoffs go. It gets a little too confusing wading through all the different comments to find the series you're interested in. So, once round 2 begins, let's start separate threads for each series. Makes it easier to follow and discuss...

:)

gunks

Hall of Famer
Detroit getting swept bums me out...But I saw it coming. When they were legit Lebron gave em fits...But now that they've traded Billups for Allen Scruberson? Ugh.

Hopefully Dumars will build a new beast from the rubble.

Props to the Bulls....They're 2 wins away from getting us Thibodeau as our new head coach :p

Blazers/Rockets is a slugfest. I want Portland to win the series but it's looking grim. I guess we get to see Phil outcoach Rick in round 2. Yay. Hopefully the Magic get past the Sixers so Howard can beast all over Kobe and friends in the finals...Oh wait, that's going to be LeBron's job.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Iverson, $22 million
Wallace, $14 million
Hermann, $2 million
Maxiell, $2 million
McDyess, $1 million

$41 million total off the books
Yeah, they'll have like $17M worth of cap space next year, and a hole at the post. I would not be at all surprised to see Boozer in a Pistons uni next year.

They have to solve the PG situation though. Stuckey is good... but he is not showing the distributor skills they need. Their offense shut down when Chauncy left. It was really painful watching them play. Rasheed just does not care, and Rip doesn't either.

Bulls series...

As good as Gordon is offensively... he is twice as bad defensivelly. The breakdowns that happened where the best shooter is left wide open are mind boggling. This has happened throughout the series, and one wonders what the hell the coaches are doing.

Salmons - Great bailouts at the end. Maybe we wouldn't need them if he actually played within the system. This is the kind of player coaches and fans hate... until he hits a fadeaway three with a defender in his face when the team needs it and hes been missing the whole day.

Miller - No. Just no. Never, ever, ever again. Ever. The only rebounds he gets are ones that go STRAIGHT to him, and the only positive play involved him not moving, Rose creating a wide open 3 for him. That's what Miller should do. Not move. Except move a couple of feet closer to the bench. It's almost as painful as watching the Pistons lose love for the game. I don't know if he's so out of shape or has just given up, but he's a shell of what he was.

Thomas/Noah - Good energy hustle players. If Rose/Hinrich don't set them up, they're worthless...

Hinrich - MVP (Gordon doesn't count - missed FT down the strech and played horrible D) of the game. Played great defense, hit clutch shots and was a sparkplug when it seemed the Bulls were flat. Did miss an important FT but he's not a lights out FT shooter like Gordon.

Vinny - A++++

Brick - playoff grades!!!! Please?

Hinrich - MVP (Gordon doesn't count - missed FT down the strech and played horrible D) of the game. Played great defense, hit clutch shots and was a sparkplug when it seemed the Bulls were flat. Did miss an important FT but he's not a lights out FT shooter like Gordon.
Sounds like you don't like Ben Gordon. If I remember correctly, Hinrich missed free throws down the stretch, too.

Umm, Gordon was the one to hit clutch shots. Hinrich missed 2 fts, Gordon missed one, and that was after he took a nasty fall. I agree about the defense part, but Gordon isn't known for his defense anyway.

Salmons is really playing a good D on Pierce although his bonehead decisions on offense just spoil it all

I think the most shocking thing about the Pistons series was not the result -- the Pistons have been dead all season. It was the way LeBron treated Tayshaun Prince like an utter chew toy and just destroyed him on both ends. Going forwards you would say that Prince is one of the pieces maybe Detroit would hold onto, but if he can't even remotely compete with LeBron then they might as well just move him too and hunker down and wait out the next 10 o 15 years or so until LeBron gets old.
well he's been injured... but anyways Tayshawn Prince has been always like that against Lebron. Not to say he regularly choked in conf finals against the nets and celtics before.

Sounds like you don't like Ben Gordon. If I remember correctly, Hinrich missed free throws down the stretch, too.

ah but if you keep reading I say hinrich is not as good of a shooter as Gordon. If all you are known for is shooting, you better deliver in the clutch. Gordon did eventually, but this knocked him down a peg. Gordon also hit the clutch shot, but he never would have been in this position if Hinrich had not bailed them out time and time again.

I don't like Gordon. He's a prima dona that's a great but streaky scorer. He can go 14-24 just as much as he can go 2-11. A great clutch scorer but gives a team NOTHING else. This series has been fun, but ask any true die hard Bulls fan whether they want him on their team and the answer will be a resounding no. He's the guy in the gym that gets hot, scores a ton of points and is annointed the hero when in fact he has hurt his team just as much as he has helped. Again, this is nitpicking, but I've seen this guy win countless games over the years. I've also seen him give up on many more, and cost the Bulls time and time again. You absolutely cannot win a championship with this guy playing extended minutes unless you are a really good team that can make up for his deficiencies. Who has torched the Bulls this series? Besides Rondo of course... who's supposed to be guarding him? When the Bulls have to have Hinrich play out of positions and play with 4 guards on the floor, it is directly due to the mismatch that is created by Gordon's D.. Awesome scorer, but if you want him on the floor you will have to shuffle your team around him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Egad...

I'd criticize Karl for running it up, but what the hell can he do at this point? They're running plays with the ***-end of the bench, and the thirteenth man is wrecking shop.

this is just sick... new orleans getting a 50 point beat down... did george karl rest his starters or did he just let them play and further humiliate the other team?

cause... come one save that for the lakers!!

you think byron scotts done after this? or are the hornies just unlucky they got the injury bug this year...

david west's game no longer impresses me... that was such a short term lol

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The Nuggets have just tied the Minneapolis Lakers for the biggest-blowout in playoff history. Kamla and Smith were rooting for it for the last five minutes or so, saying that if they had to sit there and watch the whole game, they should get to be able to tell their grandchildren that they were present for history.

Go you, fellas!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
this is just sick... new orleans getting a 50 point beat down... did george karl rest his starters or did he just let them play and further humiliate the other team?
Fifty-eight, son, watch your mouth... :D

And no, Karl played the ***-end of the bench the whole fourth quarter.

gunks

Hall of Famer
whoa...58 point loss? For real?

....I feel bad for Paul, he has absolutely no help on his team. West was always a tad overrated. Then again its not like CP3 had anything even remotely close to a Beno level game tonight.

Nuggets are 10000000x better without Iverson.. That's why I would never want that crappy player near the Kings.

thats cause AI isnt a team player...

"we talking about practice! practice"

lol a guy who would rather stuff his face with turkey than sacrifice an hour of practice for guys who sacrificed time JUST to get acquainted with you doesnt deserve to play the game

How will the Hornets look like next year? Or the Jazz? Can you immagine 2 of the (if not THE) best PG both being on terrible teams? Weird...

Having said that, it was a pitiful game... how you can have the self respect to lose by 58 is beyond me.

Having said that, it was a pitiful game... how you can have the self respect to lose by 58 is beyond me.
Right, and since this is professional sports, and it's the highest level of professional basketball, I have no problem with the Nuggets running the score up on the Hornets. And I understand that they didn't run the score up, but if George Karl had kept the starters in, I'd have no problem with it at this point. You don't lose by 60 points ... at home ... in the playoffs.

The Hornets have quit on Byron Scott. Crazy how you go from #2 in the West and a possible MVP for Chris Paul to this.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Seriously...WTF happened with that squad? Shameless. I'm surprised that even Paul played like **** though.

Love that Chauncy though! I'm totally rooting for the Nugs over whatever Texas team faces them.

The Utah/LA game had an interesting 4th. Jazz made a run until the officials decided not to call any fouls on the Lakers. Seems like LA is weak though, letting teams back in it. I think they'll make it to the finals still...But then its going to be the Lebron show as they get destroyed in 6..

S

sactownfan

Also...maybe trading Wallace or Rip in some sorta package for AI would have been a better trade... Billups was obviously not the problem in detroit.... but they wanted to commit to youth and Stucky is the man????

Last edited by a moderator: