Kings pull offer to Iguodala (split)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how offering a 4/56M contract is a good thing, shows our FO means business and that we're a destination.

And that pulling that same offer hours later also is a good thing and makes our FO look good and that we're a destination.

You can't say both are good, it's a near contradiction. And saying we don't care how Iggy takes this is besides the point. What other FA's will be jumping at the opportunity to have their contract offer pulled out from underneath them faster than what any FO has done that I'm aware of? You can't just go around insulting FA's and then saying, well, no big deal, we'll just go after the next. There's a reason national writers are shocked we pulled that offer so quickly. That's not lost on other FA's.

But we'll see, I'm happy with this outcome but worried about the message it might send.
I feel the same way, but like someone else said, maybe there's something bigger brewing.

I get that, but it could also be a risk letting everyone know right off the bat you're not confident in yourself and feel the need to make a statement like that to garner respect. It says you're unsure of yourself. Perception as always is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe some around the league end up impressed, that we're tough negotiators, but others might not have that same perception and might give potential FA's/agents reason to pause before considering doing business with us.

If it does come out Iggy was using us for leverage than it won't be nearly as questionable a move.
I really don't think they are trying to make any sort of statement here. I believe they are just following vivek's general business philosophy. It's a disciplined/methodical approach (even if it appears aggressive to others). I think they are just managing their limited time and available salary cap room and cutting ship when it was either obvious he wasn't going to sign or that he wasn't really committed to the situation (remember the recent references to wanting players that were "hungry"). I really don't think this does anything to damage our reputation. Just raises some eyebrows for a couple hours before everyone moveson to the next twitter topic.

Jason jones is so shady. Jesus

Ur the beat Writer for the Kings (unfortunately) so freakin act like it. What an ***
Probably the most disinterested professional beat writer I've ever come across. The fact that the SacBee continues to employ him despite his horrid breaking-news-to-team-proximity ratio says a lot about their long term prospects for success to me. Quality control is obviously not a strong point of this publication.

But why bother? Between Amick and the local bloggers, you get the story you need just fine.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jason Jones' latest article

Talk about a total lack of effort. There is NOTHING in there that hasn't already been written about in depth on this board. It's hard to believe Jones actually draws a paycheck for this kind of stuff.

... As Tyreke Evans mulls whether to give a verbal commitment to the New Orleans Pelicans, the Kings have to decide if he is worth the price New Orleans has set to sign him.

Evans is leaning toward giving a verbal commitment to the Pelicans, who have offered the restricted free agent a four-year, $44 million deal, said sources familiar with the negotiations. He could commit to New Orleans today.
NO direct quotes, not even any comments attributed to unnamed sources. Merely an article full of suppositions with nothing of substance. Sure glad I don't pay to read the Bee any longer...

if they offer a contract straight up without Reke signing an offer sheet, then he can accept it.
If he signs a Pelicans offer sheet, it may be structured differently to prevent matching.

That is why Reke is holding off to committing to an offer sheet from NO. He wants to come back to Sac and would rather get the same one from them that is favorably structured.

or if he signs the offer sheet the Kings can only match the 4 year deal. Reke wants the 5th year thats why he is waiting. We cant offer him that if he signs the 4 deal we can only match

K

KingMilz

I read on another forum from a long time Cavs fan that this is the same agent (Iggy's agent) that pulled/tried to pull a similar stunt with Boozer as his client on the Cavs

I'm sort of curious as to what Day 3 will bring.
Day 1: Tyreke Drama
Day 2: AI Drama
Day 3: Resolution....?

Anyway, I really, really, really like AI and think that he would have been a wonderful addition to our team and would bring a lot of the Veteran presence that this team needs. With that said...in no way do I want AI or any other SF at the expense of Tyreke. The price was a bit high for my taste...but if we made that move and kept Tyreke then I would have been very happy.

Oddly enough...I feel even more comfortable about Tyreke being retained by the Kings after this whole AI incident. To me...I think bring in AI only really helps the team if you also retain Tyreke...so my gut is now telling me that Vivek and DA feel they are truly in the driver seat when it comes to keeping Tyreke...so they are going to swing for the fences in bring in talent and then lock up Tyreke when they have to.

Also...I have to admit that the fact that they even targeted AI is wonderful news...as he is a guy who would be a great fit next to Tyreke/B-Mac/Cousins...so it gives me hope that the FO 'gets' it when it comes to building a roster that can mesh well and compete.

It would be great if AK is the next guy on the list to target...as he should probably be available if you wanted to give him around 3year/27mil contract....and that would be doable if we amnesty Salmons.

Came out awkward.

Most teams would leak out that there was a time limit from the beginning, plus give a more reasonable one, such as 24 hours. The abruptness of the contract being pulled after a few hours is understandably going to be questioned since it's unusual. Personally I'd like the Kings to avoid this negative PR...

But hey, in the end the national media gets another thing to point and laugh about the Kings, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't know about that. They gave the guy a couple of hours to decided his future when he was obviously interested in coming here. What's the rush? Give him 24 hours to think it over. I can see why he would feel insulted.
Teams have 10 day, now 7 days to make a decision on FAs. If one shows interest they have to wait for him to make up his mind before they move on. Can't have two people at once bound by an agreement. The Kings may have 20 people to interview. How long should they wait before moving on to the next one? They cannot sacrifice their own scheduling because of one player.

Last edited:
I must say I really love Iguodala. But, I think his price was too high. Of course he brings everything we need, and we have to overpay for this kind of player. It was just a 4 year deal, and he was going to be a huge expiring contract on his last year, that could have landed us another big name. But I dont want to lose Tyreke in the process. He must be our priority, and I'm glad we have better chance to retain him now.
I also like how Vivek and PDA are managing things. They took the right decision. They want people who want to be here, to be part of the family and who believe in our project. If Iguodala was only looking for the biggest check he could get, I'm glad we dodged the bullet.

I'm pretty sure we have exciting days ahead. Something is going to happen. BTW, as reported, Jimmer won't be part of the summer league team. There's a trade coming up maybe?

As to the FO's decision to pull the offer so quickly...I'm not entirely sure what to think.
If it is in fact true that the offer was for 52m and AI's camp leaked that it was 58m in order to get some leverage for a bigger payday for AI from another team...then I have no problems with them pulling the offer....especially if they gave a deadline as to when they needed their answer.
There are other SFs that we can attempt to acquire (AK/Granger) and I'd rather move on if it doesn't seem likely that AI was really planning on joining the Kings.

With that said...if AI personally was thinking about coming over at 52m, and his agent/camp decided to pull this and we decided to pull the offer with-out one last attempt...then I'll admit to being disappointed.

People have said it before...this FO is far different than what we're accustomed to. I just hope they don't make any critical mistakes as this is their first time out.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I really don't understand this. No one but the involved parties know what went on in the meeting, not Amick, nor Jason "shady" Jones, nor any "twitter reporters". All they did were reporting what they were told happened.

Maybe they specified in the meeting that the deal has a duration and Iggy agreed to make a decision before then. For whatever reasons, he didn't, we pulled the offer. (And that was just that, a speculation)

It's just funny to see some of you on the forum jumped on the "I don't like this organization's way of handling things" immediately without anything but only the events happened on the surface. Truly TDOS style.
I agree with most of this. We don't know what went on in the meeting except the agent reported a number that was not accurate. Right there our FO had to be suspicious. It is also entirely possible that we gave him a time limit and he didn't match it. When there is lying going on, I wouldn't want to be a part of it. It's not a "high character" guy who lies. It may have been shocking to Iggy that we aren't fools who can be a pawn in whatever game he was playing. I think Vivek smelled a rat and pulled the plug.

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 1h
Final thought on the Iggy shuffle: don't agree that Kings look bad here. Better to avoid mistake now if you get the sense a guy isn't all in

Phew! Saved ourselves from our inital stupidity! I would love to get Iggy but at that price, I am sceptical. In year 3 of that contract it could have looked very ugly!

I don't understand the idea of paying Iggy $(to be 30 in Jan) 14 million per season when he will only decline from now on but be reluctant to pay a 23/24 year old Evans $11 million per season and the contract runs through his prime years. It makes no sense what so ever.

I haven't read the other posts, but did it say anywhere that we were no longer interested in Iguodala? Seems to me like Iguodala just wants to wait to make a decision, and we pulled our offer to focus on Evans first? I don't think this necessarily means we're out (unless it was posted somewhere).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I haven't read the other posts, but did it say anywhere that we were no longer interested in Iguodala? Seems to me like Iguodala just wants to wait to make a decision, and we pulled our offer to focus on Evans first? I don't think this necessarily means we're out (unless it was posted somewhere).
It was pretty clear from Iggy's tweets that we are out.

Like forever. :p

BSA ‏@BS_art 5m

Kings said to be intrigued by Travis Outlaw's potential at SF. May split cap space.

BSA ‏@BS_art 3m

Said to be interested in adding ballhandling, length. Names tossed around include Chris Duhon, Mikki Moore.

BSA ‏@BS_art 33s

Decision whether to offer max to Paul Milsap pending, once Thabeet situation resolved.
if i didn't know this was bs, i'd be pissed :)

or if he signs the offer sheet the Kings can only match the 4 year deal. Reke wants the 5th year thats why he is waiting. We cant offer him that if he signs the 4 deal we can only match
That is not true. You only match the numbers. The years can be different than the offer sheet. He could still get the 7.5% raises too.

Once again, people need to read cbafaq.com before they start posting stuff they have no clue about.

I was considering Reke + Iggy option to be great for Kings.
That being said, I LOVE WHAT KINGS DID.
For every job, there is an issue of whether you want to work for the company or not. If I offer you max money you will get, and you are mulling it over for 24 hours (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/3/4489592/nba-free-agency-andre-iguodala-sacramento-kings) it is obvious that you are not into my company.
NBA was pampering so far to the whims of NBA stars and semi-stars, allowing agents to play games without consequences pumping prices up.
It was time to make those folks sweat a little bit next time when they refuse that type of money.
Hope other teams will follow (for example Pelicans should cancel offer to Reke :p )

Ehhh... I think this would eliminate Evans at PG. I don't think the FO wants Evans as the only ball handler on the team. I cannot think of any other SF distributor that can match Iggy's ball handling in the FA market. It's pretty obvious up until now though that they want more ball handling.

Ehhh... I think this would eliminate Evans at PG. I don't think the FO wants Evans as the only ball handler on the team. I cannot think of any other SF distributor that can match Iggy's ball handling in the FA market. It's pretty obvious up until now though that they want more ball handling.
Everything going on so far says they don't think of Evans at the PG otherwise there would be a contract offer. This could be a situation just like Evans rookie year. If they resign him it could come down to McLemore and how he's playing at the trade deadline. The better he plays the greater the chance Evans would be traded a la Martin. The only issue could be if Evans does sign and we match he can't be traded to NO for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.