Best news yet! Deal is done!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NOTE: I moved the stuff from SonicsRising and the related discussion to the "Sonics fan's point of view" thread.

This has been a phenominal last 2 days.
When Stern said that he would talk with the Maloofs about getting a deal done I had confidence that we'd see a sell to the Vivek group shortly.
The fact that it happened the next day says a lot about the support that Sacramento has received from David Stern and the NBA through-out this whole process.
I find it interesting that so many people were shocked that the NBA 'choose' Sacramento, but I truly believe that from the League's perspective this whole mess should never have happened in the first place. Had the Maloofs acted in good faith with the NBA and the City of Sacramento and not pulled out of the agreed-upon arena deal, Seattle would never had come into the picture. This is a critical item that seems to be missed by everyone in the national media.

Anyway, I had taped both play-off games and was watching the Spurs/GS game when all-of-a-sudden, late in the game, I see the ticker read that a deal had been reached. Just a wonderful moment.

My wife has been wanting to buy me some new Kings gear (as I have really worn my stuff down ragged), but ever since they pulled out of the arena deal I haven't wanted to spend a penny on their stuff, so it will be nice to get some new gear once the ownership transition has completed.

Another thing which has me really excited is the timing of everything. An agreement in principle has been established and what is fantastic is that all of the big-name coaches are still in play. You continue to see teams (with head coach vacancies) saying that they are interested, with a follow-up that the coach in question has turned them down.

Now I'm not saying that we're some sort of celebrity destination, but you don't have a chance at a coach if they are already locked up.

And the fact is, especially for everyone watching the play-offs, if you have a dominant offensive big (Cousins) and a physically dominant two-way guard (Tyreke) you have a chance to build something that can contend in the playoffs. So I do think that there will be some interest from high profile coaches to look at the roster and take a shot, especially if the new ownership group is going to open up the purse and make the proper decisions. (Potentially amnesty Salmons, go after a big-name FA, ect.)

Anyway, this is a wonderful time to be a Sacramento Kings fan. I honestly believe that fantastic times are ahead and I'm proud of everyone who stuck with the team through what has been a really, really tough last couple of years.

somewhat late to this party (damn you, sleep!), but yeah, as much as it was kind of a foregone conclusion two days ago, this still makes me happier than any other news I've had in ages. it's all uphill from here on out.

I shrieked really loud a couple of times when I saw the news. Good thing the neighbors didn't call the cops. ;)

Talking to the Mayor's assistant at the airport about getting the arena built now. He said, "Oh it'll get built." :)

By the way, there are several possible levels of environmental review. It is definitely not out of the ordinary for it to take a year. One of the reasons the legislature has been struggling over finding ways to speed up the process.

Anyway, it feels so good to be able to go back to just talking about basketball and OUR Sacramento Kings. :D

I'm in Vf21's realm. The Kings will be here till I'm 100 years old or near it. For me, though, the best part is they will be here until my grandkids are gown-ups and maybe have kids of their own. :)

beer-cheers-toasting-300x225.jpg

Last edited:
Unbelievable! Can't believe I was asleep when the news broke (although it was after 4am for me!). So elated to keep the Kings in Sacramento and thrilled you all of you in Sacramento. Now let's sell out Sleep Train until the new arena is built and show Vivek and the team our support!

Good times are coming our way. We finally have the possibility of being competitive again. It's a good day :D

i have to say... i was a doubting Thomas.

but wow! best of ALL worlds.

Kings shed the worst owners in al of sports.

AND

Kings get a new arena.

AND

Sacramento keeps the team.

talk about a homerun!
it took some real brinkmanship...but wow! well done!

I think there was a lot of shady stuff going on with these dealings, but it still makes me grin that the Maloofs didn't get what they wanted. Screw them, they don't belong in the league, and the Kings don't deserve to be dragged down along with them.

Congratulations guys.

I think there was a lot of shady stuff going on with these dealings, but it still makes me grin that the Maloofs didn't get what they wanted. Screw them, they don't belong in the league, and the Kings don't deserve to be dragged down along with them.

Congratulations guys.

I'm not too sure about that... the greedy weasels walk out with $300M -their share of $535M plus Hansen's $30M deposit (Hansen said "no thanks" to the offer to refund it).

Sure, they would have loved to stick it to Sacramento but in the end all they wanted was lots of MONEY. And they got that - way more than their asset was really worth.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm not too sure about that... the greedy weasels walk out with $300M -their share of $535M plus Hansen's $30M deposit (Hansen said "no thanks" to the offer to refund it).

Sure, they would have loved to stick it to Sacramento but in the end all they wanted was lots of MONEY. And they got that - way more than their asset was really worth.
Um, they only get about $200 million from Sacramento. See David Stern's press conference.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
wait... what? Hansen let the clowns keep money they offered to give back?

I assume the Sac group paid him back instead and that was all factored into the agreement and the jerks just wanted to look good?

I went to bed early and have no tv right now... guess I am missing a lot!

wait... what? Hansen let the clowns keep money they offered to give back?

I assume the Sac group paid him back instead and that was all factored into the agreement and the jerks just wanted to look good?

I went to bed early and have no tv right now... guess I am missing a lot!
I think it was in a tweet that the Owners (league or Sac's wasn't clear) offered to pay it back and Hansen declined.

Good things this week:

1. Kings are staying in Sacramento.
2. Kings are getting new, better owners.
3. Sacramento is getting a brand new, state of the art arena.
4. Downtown Sacramento is getting a ton of new development headed its way.

After #1 the best part is #4. Looking forward to seeing the new downtown in a few years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And new owner Mark Friedman is the first one of their group to bring up publicly what we've been saying. He says he can't wait for the day when we raise Kevin Johnson's #7 jersey to the rafters of the new arena.

Dave says there will be a statue of the mayor outside the arena, and i agree with that, too. (Carmichael Dave was selected by KJ to be the last speaker today.)

This is an incredible day for kings fans. We are witnessing history - both for the Kings and for Sacramento.

What a feeling.