Tyreke Evans ROTY & 20/5/5 Watch

last night he was having some noticeable issues playing, for sure. but didn't he come in the game at the 8:30 mark in the 4th with 4 points...and end up with 17?

i think he's going to get the points he needs, if he wants them. i wouldn't worry.

how about 20 13 7 and 3 stls on only 1 TO for our phenom? that to go along with some very good play down the stretch of this one as a facilitator/scorer/defender.. i really dont see him not winning this award.. id imagine itll be the second most lopsided award voting after mvp

Only thing im worried about Reke facing some tough defensive teams that will focus on him the last couple of games.

I think he will have the boards, just needs a big 30 point game to help his chances.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The ranking's from the web:

ESPN: #1 :)

http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/page/Awards-100330/nba-awards-watch

NBA.com : # 2 :(

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/03/31/rookie.rankings/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Also on the NBA.com page are the top 10 plays from their top 3 rook's Tyreke, Curry and Jennings. I tried to take off my king's hat and look at the play's objectively, so for whatever its worth Tyreke's top 10 plays blew the other's out of the water. I have some other comments but don't want to be accused of tearing down the competition just to build up Tyreke. I'll just let his body of work speak for itsself ;)

I like how they build up Curry's passing ability yet Reke is almost averaging more assists than he is.

L

LWP777

if reke can get 50 more assists in the last 6 games (average of 8.3) he'll average 20 6 5 this year.. its possible...
With the way he's been passing lately, that's entirely possible. I can't wait until he gets some help around him (like a pure shooter) who can actually make some shots. He's been averaging almost 10 assists lately playing with guys who can't make open shots.

when I read this intro to the rookie rankings on nba.com the only thing i could think was "is this a joke?"

And down the stretch they come.
With just two weeks left in the season, the push for Rookie of the Year has boiled down to a three-horse race.
Brandon Jennings jumped out to an early lead, capturing everyone's attention with his memorable 55-point outburst. Then Tyreke Evans retook the lead and steadily pulled away from the field. Stephen Curry, meanwhile, got out of the gates a little slowly, then inched his way back to pull even with Evans, at least in some observers' eyes.
All that sets up what could be a wild sprint to the finish.

What once appeared to be a runaway victory for Evans has turned into quite the intriguing finish. Will voters go with the beyond-his-years dominance of Evans? Will Curry's court presence and jaw-dropping passes win over voters? Or will they be wooed by Jennings' playing for a winner?
Don't look away, because this race is going down to the wire.

to sum up: brandon jennings had a great first month with one particularly special game, then fell way off the map.. but he plays for a winning team. curry played average in the beginning then started playing almost as well as tyreke did all season. meanwhile tyreke "steadily pulled away from the field" consistently. as in all season long... so since he continued one of the most dominant rookie seasons in memory for the entirety of the season, ITS GONNA BE A SPRINT TO THE FINISH!! WATCH OUT.

Jennings and Curry were named rookies of the month.
Well Jennings is in the East, but phhhbbblllttt! on the Curry pick.

Problem is, Jennings is on a team going to the playoffs and the Warriors have had a lot more nationally broadcast games. The Kings are sitting in obscurity with a lot less people seeing Tyreke play.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The injury is surely as good an excuse as any to skip over Evans for this month's recognitions and to provide the illusion that this is anything but a one man race.

I refuse to believe that Evans has any chance of being slighted here.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The injury is surely as good an excuse as any to skip over Evans for this month's recognitions and to provide the illusion that this is anything but a one man race.

I refuse to believe that Evans has any chance of being slighted here.
Same here. How can anyone argue against Reke's numbers and sheer impact (the Warriors have gotten worse than before for god's sake and the Bucks (a) were playing without most of their team last season and (b) have a former high lottery pick finally starting to play to his potential (Andrew Bogut))

We get screwed ALL the time. Remember when they screwed Kevin Martin out off the most improved player award? Ya...might happen again. Screw the Warriors!

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Controversy sells. This shouldn't be close, but a tighter race, albeit manufactured, will create more interest in viewing said paper/magazine/tv show/blog/etc.

Tonight: 17 / 7 / 10

+16 pts (-3) = +13 Pts
+11 reb (+2) = + 13 Reb
+39 ast (+5) = +44 Asst
+13 (+0) = +13 pts
+13 (+2) = +15 reb
+44 (+8) = +52 ast

Again, the above is a much more efficient way to keep track of 20-5-5 rather than saying he has 107 points and 15 rebounds left to go because Reke doesn't have all the remaining games. As long as he plays at least 70, which is the official minimum amount of games required to play for stats to count, he's in the clear.

+13 (+0) = +13 pts
+13 (+2) = +15 reb
+44 (+8) = +52 ast

Again, the above is a much more efficient way to keep track of 20-5-5 rather than saying he has 107 points and 15 rebounds left to go because Reke doesn't have all the remaining games. As long as he plays at least 70, which is the official minimum amount of games required to play for stats to count, he's in the clear.
Huh? Why doesn't he have the remaining games? The other way is much better.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Huh? Why doesn't he have the remaining games? The other way is much better.
The other way doesn't work if he misses any games. If he plays all of them, then fine. But he misses 1 then the numbers are no longer valid and you have to recompute. The +/- method eliminates that. He;s alreayd at 20-5-5. As long as he keeps all the numbers in the positive, he will finish the season at 20-5-5, and it doesn't matter if he plays 6 more games or only 1.

This late in the season you would hope he can finish it out though that makes either way valid. But the +/- mehtod already proved its worth when this whole needs xx approach got blown up when Reke got the concussion.

The other way doesn't work if he misses any games. If he plays all of them, then fine. But he misses 1 then the numbers are no longer valid and you have to recompute. The +/- method eliminates that. He;s alreayd at 20-5-5. As long as he keeps all the numbers in the positive, he will finish the season at 20-5-5, and it doesn't mater if he plays 6 more games or only 1.
Right. So deal with a missed game and adjust the number if it happens. Assume he's going to play the rest of the games. Unless people are expecting him to miss more games?

He's played in 66 games so he needs 4 more out of the 6 to qualify anyways so he better not miss any.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Right. So deal with a missed game and adjust the number if it happens. Assume he's going to play the rest of the games. Unless people are expecting him to miss more games?

He's played in 66 games so he needs 4 more out of the 6 to qualify anyways so he better not miss any.

Why exactly deal when the +/- numbers are right there?

The needs xx numbers are essenitally inaccurate. They make assumptions that may not be true. And if you say he needs 107ppg more today, you might in fact be completely wrong.

The +/- numbers are never wrong. He plays all 6 games they have to remain positive. He plays 1 more game they have to remain positive. If the season ends tommorow the +13, +15, +52 is valid, the needs 107, needs 15 stuff is not.

The +/- numbers are never wrong. He plays all 6 games they have to remain positive. He plays 1 more game they have to remain positive. If the season ends tommorow the +13, +15, +52 is valid, the needs 107, needs 15 stuff is not.

It's easier for me to grasp something that has relatively little to do with numbers. I understand all of that mumbo jumbo, but it gave me a headache.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We get screwed ALL the time. Remember when they screwed Kevin Martin out off the most improved player award? Ya...might happen again. Screw the Warriors!
There were legitimate arguments in Monta's favor that year for an award that can be interpreted 20 different ways because it is measuring "improvement"... over what exactly? Scrub to starter? Role player to top scorer? It's a total toss up. On the other hand I don't think there is a legitimate argument in favor of either Jennings or Curry. If you read between the lines of what's being written it seems pretty clear that they are just stirring the pot. It generates hype and spares them from 20million hate mails when they are able to make 3 groups of fans think their guy is in it.