I am disappointed.

I doubt we will be players in the market next year. Man this has Maloofs trying to save money all over it. Why else would we not take on Jeffries contract and gain two draft picks instead of keeping KT. I am disappointed that we did not get the two picks and Lee. This again shows how Maloof dictated what return we got. I think Petrie did the best he could have given the parameters had to work with.

Last edited:
I doubt we will be players in the market next year. Man this has Maloofs trying to save money all over it. Why else would we take on Jeffries contract and gain two draft picks instead of trading KT. I am disappointed that we did not get the two picks and Lee. This again shows how Maloof dictated what return we got. I think Petrie did the best he could have given what he had to work with.

I think you're confused. We did not get Jeffries back, and we also didn't get any draft picks. We traded Martin, Rodriguez and Armstrong and got back Landry, Dorsey, and Hughes. Hughes is an expiring contract which, paired with KT, should give us enough to make at least one big signing in the summer. Now, whether we will be able to make that big signing is another debate, but the pieces are in place.

It was a good move. It will make us better in both the short and long term. It's not the best possible outcome as far as trades go, but it's most definitely a net positive.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Lee wasn't an option. Been discussed elsewhere but he took a 1 year contract and had a trade veto.

Do you have any proof that the Maloofs wont sign anyone or just taking a guess, this move looks likes they are aiming to get someon in Free agency, money wise they only save about 1.2 or so million this season and actually sent cash Washingtons way...

I think you're confused. We did not get Jeffries back, and we also didn't get any draft picks. We traded Martin, Rodriguez and Armstrong and got back Landry, Dorsey, and Hughes. Hughes is an expiring contract which, paired with KT, should give us enough to make at least one big signing in the summer. Now, whether we will be able to make that big signing is another debate, but the pieces are in place.

It was a good move. It will make us better in both the short and long term. It's not the best possible outcome as far as trades go, but it's most definitely a net positive.
I know we didn't. What I was saying we could have. If we were willing to trade KT to NY. We would be the ones getting the picks. That was the piont of my post. Its looks like we did not want Jeffries contract which was only another year on his contract.

S

sactownfan

I doubt we will be players in the market next year. Man this has Maloofs trying to save money all over it. Why else would we not take on Jeffries contract and gain two draft picks instead of keeping KT. I am disappointed that we did not get the two picks and Lee. This again shows how Maloof dictated what return we got. I think Petrie did the best he could have given the parameters had to work with.
Lee had to ok the trade... He didn't....which means he didn't want to be here.... Petrie did good here... I'd say B+ grade

Lee had to ok the trade... He didn't....which means he didn't want to be here.... Petrie did good here... I'd say B+ grade
I was not talking about Lee. I was talking about what the Rockets got from the Knicks because they are willing to take on Jeffries contract, which BTW was only another year left. We could have got Hill and two draft picks for taking on Jeffries contract but instead we decided to keep KT's ender. That is what I am getting at.

I was not talking about Lee. I was talking about what the Rockets got from the Knicks because they are willing to take on Jeffries contract, which BTW was only another year left. We could have got Hill and two draft picks for taking on Jeffries contract but instead we decided to keep KT's ender. That is what I am getting at.
KT wasn't apart of the deal, because we didn't take Jeffries. The extra pieces were dealt between Houston and NY. I would MUCH rather keep K-9's expiring to get someone we actually want in free agency, than trade for Jeffires who is a bag of crap, and has a bad contract.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you really don't understand what's happening, or the bigger picture. You seem confused.

KT wasn't apart of the deal, because we didn't take Jeffries. The extra pieces were dealt between Houston and NY. I would MUCH rather keep K-9's expiring to get someone we actually want in free agency, than trade for Jeffires who is a bag of crap, and has a bad contract.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you really don't understand what's happening, or the bigger picture. You seem confused.

What kind of bad contract is Jeffries what an EXTRA year. So in reality we get 2 drafts pick and Hill for another year of Jeffires how is that a bad deal?

I too am disappointed. After watching Kevin Martin blossom into a potential Olympian and sign at the time a very good deal, it seems like a further talent bleed. This just shows how damaging last season was to all involved in that debacle.

I don't mean to knock Carl Landry, but he isn't exactly all star caliber, and I always believed that Kevin had that upside given the right situation. This feels a lot like Bibby for Sheldon Williams all over again...

On the bright side, now instead of getting under the luxury tax, this team is getting well under the salary cap for the summer, and hopefully can make a splash :).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
the one thing that disappoints me is that somehow with all the bodies flying around we STILL did not manage to get ourselves anything resembling a defensive big (no, 6'7" Joey Dorsey ain't it). I'm not sure Geoff would know what one looked like if it bit him, and I think its been driving poor Westphal to distraction. He's talked about it incessantly, shuffled lineups searching for it, probably pleaded his case to Geoff...and just not happening. So onto this summer wheren we'll have both a high pick and cap space and we'll see what's up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And how, pray tell, do you know what we "could have got"? I think you're jumping right off assumption cliff and into conclusion pond with no basis in fact.

And how, pray tell, do you know what we "could have got"? I think you're jumping right off assumption cliff and into conclusion pond with no basis in fact.
Because that was the price of getting rid of Jeffries contract. That what Rockets got in the deal with NY. Why would we not get the same deal if we took on Jeffries contract instead the Rockets?

What kind of bad contract is Jeffries what an EXTRA year. So in reality we get 2 drafts pick and Hill for another year of Jeffires how is that a bad deal?
I agree man. This only make sense if Maloofs/Petrie have a plan to be major players this offseason and go hard after Lee or Amare. Maybe Hill is Godawful as much as Sheldon Williams or Ike Diokgu was and Petrie doesnt see much upside to him.

Kings got used. NY played hard ball and Morey used Geoff to put the pressure on. In the process he also swiped Martin from Geoff.

Martin needed to go, but we should've gotten the draft pick from NY or swapped Noci or Beno for Jefferies. Landry is good, but he's not the answer upfront.

The Knicks were offering a hughes, jeffries, hill + picks package to Houston. The fight between them was over the protection on the picks. Houston decides to go to Sacramento because KMart is better than anything the Knicks were offering, and Kmart is the biggest piece available at deadline. Somehow, by Sacramento giving in to TMac's(and Tyreke's) agent, the Rockets got KMart AND the picks, plus Hill. Sacramento was playing pressure ball with NY like Houston was, but decided to just get the deal put through and opt for cap space instead of picks.
It was reported that NY had offered the same deal to Sacramento, maybe minus a pick or with greater protection, but that is still better than cap space*.

Now, given the history here, would you rather Petrie being drafting players or signing players?

*Unless you're just trying to save money instead of win.

Just to clarify, the Knicks aren't giving up two picks, they're giving up a net of one pick. The 2011 pick is a right to swap picks, which only helps if the Knicks are worse than you next year. They are already out their 2010 pick, so they can't trade their 2011 pick oughtright without acquiring another first in return, since you can't have two future years in a row without a pick, let alone three consecutive years. Unless NY totally strikes out in their plans this summer, we will have a higher pick than them next year anyway, and the 2012 pick isn't going to be high either.

Kings got used. NY played hard ball and Morey used Geoff to put the pressure on. In the process he also swiped Martin from Geoff.

Martin needed to go, but we should've gotten the draft pick from NY or swapped Noci or Beno for Jefferies. Landry is good, but he's not the answer upfront.

No way we would of got Jefferies and the draft pick from NY for Noci or Beno. We would have had to trade KT which I guess we did not want to do.

I'm sorry to say Geoff proves that you have NO idea what's going on. A lot of people always look at a trade with tunnel vision and say what did we get NOW. What we got now is a decent, hard nosed, PF.

THE BIG thing we got is a whole bunch of camp space to go out and get EXACTLY whatever it is that the team wants and needs. The trade isn't just about the players we got.

We actually made Houston take the bad stuff like Jeffries contract and pulled K-9 out of the deal so between K-9 and Hughes we have just as much money coming off the cap as if we held on to T Mac.

Take the toilet paper rolls away from your eyes when looking at this trade.

Last edited:

You don't get what's going on here. What you propose is the direct opposite of what the Knicks wanted.

Just to clarify, the Knicks aren't giving up two picks, they're giving up a net of one pick. The 2011 pick is a right to swap picks, which only helps if the Knicks are worse than you next year. They are already out their 2010 pick, so they can't trade their 2011 pick oughtright without acquiring another first in return, since you can't have two future years in a row without a pick, let alone three consecutive years. Unless NY totally strikes out in their plans this summer, we will have a higher pick than them next year anyway, and the 2012 pick isn't going to be high either.
I do not believe we would have been worse then the Knicks in 2011. Also having a pick and another prospect in Hill would be worth having an extra year of Jefferies.

Also having a pick and another prospect in Hill would be worth having an extra year of Jefferies.
I do agree with that. I'm not particularly high on Hill, but I'm doubtful that we're going to do anything so big with our capspace this summer that we couldn't have still done it with Jefferies on board.

I have not been a fan of Petrie in free agency in a long time. He has a tendency to overpay and not get the types of players that we need. That said, he has not been a complete failure i.e. Vlade, Salmons(kind of). Also, it has been 10 years since we have had money under the cap and the player base where paying for decent players has a reasonable chance of paying off. We now have the money, pieces, and player base to either sign a 2nd tier star outright or S&T for a big name. Worst case, we draft an interior stud with our decent draft pick this year and we are right there. Then we have enough cap space to dish out bigger contracts in a few years/wait for the new CBA.

The Knicks were offering a hughes, jeffries, hill + picks package to Houston. The fight between them was over the protection on the picks. Houston decides to go to Sacramento because KMart is better than anything the Knicks were offering, and Kmart is the biggest piece available at deadline. Somehow, by Sacramento giving in to TMac's(and Tyreke's) agent, the Rockets got KMart AND the picks, plus Hill. Sacramento was playing pressure ball with NY like Houston was, but decided to just get the deal put through and opt for cap space instead of picks.
It was reported that NY had offered the same deal to Sacramento, maybe minus a pick or with greater protection, but that is still better than cap space*.

Now, given the history here, would you rather Petrie being drafting players or signing players?

*Unless you're just trying to save money instead of win.
Petrie is better at drafting players. Look at his recent history for signing/trading players:

1/11/10 - Acquires Hilton Armstrong from NO for a 2016 2nd-round pick + cash
6/25/09 - Trades the 31st pick in the 2009 draft for Sergio + 38th pick
2/19/09 - Trades Shelden Williams to MN for a 2014 2nd-round pick
2/18/09 - Trades John Salmons & Brad Miller for Ike Diogu, Andres Nocioni, Cedric Simmons, Drew Gooden
2/17/09 - Acquires Sam Cassell from Boston for a 2015 2nd-round pick
8/14/08 - Trades Ron Artest & Sean Singletary for Donte Green, Bobby Jackson, 2009 1st-round pick
2/16/08 - Trades Mike Bibby for Shelden Williams, Lorenzen Wright, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue, 2008 2nd-round pick

I do agree with that. I'm not particularly high on Hill, but I'm doubtful that we're going to do anything so big with our capspace this summer that we couldn't have still done it with Jefferies on board.

Also we could have been a player in 2011 FA. There will be no real competion for FA in 2011 compared to this offseason. I can see now that we will have a problem trying to sign someone this off season.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I do not believe we would have been worse then the Knicks in 2011. Also having a pick and another prospect in Hill would be worth having an extra year of Jefferies.
Why do you want Hill so much? We just got Landry, in addition to JT, Spencer, and Brockman, plus our top 10 pick. We will most likely draft a big in the draft who is better and will make a bigger impact than Hill.

You basically wanted to add KT to the deal for a Hill, Jeffries, and a protected 2011 pick, right? In the draft we will get a better big than Hill, or we should. I want nothing to do with Jeffries. I would MUCH rather have the cap space the offseason to go along with our top 10 pick.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
the one thing that disappoints me is that somehow with all the bodies flying around we STILL did not manage to get ourselves anything resembling a defensive big (no, 6'7" Joey Dorsey ain't it). I'm not sure Geoff would know what one looked like if it bit him, and I think its been driving poor Westphal to distraction. He's talked about it incessantly, shuffled lineups searching for it, probably pleaded his case to Geoff...and just not happening. So onto this summer wheren we'll have both a high pick and cap space and we'll see what's up.
I share this concern and I wonder if this deal had gone down a few hours earlier if we'd have made another move. I also think in Geoff's defense he hasn't had the kind of money to spend that he will this summer in a long time and I think we may have thought we were getting a tougher Brad Miller than the one we actually got (thinking about the fisticuffs with Shaq).

I would have been cool with Jeffries and Hill but I think the potential reward here is higher.

Here's a question: What prompted this?

The word out of Petrie's office was that they would not trade KMart unless they got an all star level big man in return. You would have to be making quite a stretch to include Landry in that realm.

So something changed. Was it Kevin's odd behavior lately? Getting pounded by the Warriors? Panic?

Why do you want Hill so much? We just got Landry, in addition to JT, Spencer, and Brockman, plus our top 10 pick. We will most likely draft a big in the draft who is better and will make a bigger impact than Hill.

You basically wanted to add KT to the deal for a Hill, Jeffries, and a protected 2011 pick, right? In the draft we will get a better big than Hill, or we should. I want nothing to do with Jeffries. I would MUCH rather have the cap space the offseason to go along with our top 10 pick.
Also 2012 pick aswell. So we get an option in 2011 and 2012 pick with having a prospect in Hill. On top of that we become players in FA market in 2011. How is that not worth a extra year of Jeffries (which we could of bought out or released)?