Kmart Injured!!

K

Kingsguy881

Now I am rarely first in line to argue for Kevin's toughness, but I'm not sure what the point would really be given our situation. If we were a 60 win team witha shot at the title and this was March or something...yeah, I want him to try to suck it up and hold out unitl the offseason is possible. But 5 games into a season which everybody kows is going to be a lottery season anyway? Might as well do it right + get it healthy. Not much on the line and 6 straight months of basketball ahead is a long time.

P.S. As an aside why do they always do surgery for broken bones in the NBA? Shouldn't a hairline fracture especially already be set and in place to heal by itself as long as its immobilized?
My dad's a general practitioner, and he said they just want to clean it up and make sure that it is a clean fracture, with no jagged or splintered pieces of bone floating around. He said there really is nothing to be set but when you have the best doctors money can buy you are basically paying them to make sure that the same injury doesn't happen again, in a perfect world.

K

Kingsguy881

Whoa...Nice name change, Kingsguy881. When did this happen?
I emailed jgar a week or so ago, felt that it was probably better than being called 'kingsgurl881's husband' lol. This way the change is so imperceptible as to no one not knowing who they are talking (arguing j/k) with. :D

Thanks 6th;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kevs our leader.. He takes pressure off of every player.. This is going to make it so much harder for everyone else out there without him.
:eek:

Apparently you weren't watching last year. :p

Different year, and we don't have the adequate replacement (Salmons) anymore. But leadership...please, that ship has sailed. As has winning. The big key will be whether the highly highly Kevin-centric offense we have been running was by design, or by lack of other talent. I am guessing it was by design -- Reke, Hawes, JT and Noc are all capable fo 3-5 pts more fairly easily, and Casspi could be a double figure type guy himself (likely open up things for him). Look at it as good development time for the rookies and Hawes as offensive options. We just don't have much of anything to lose.

Last edited:
This just in:

Kevin Martin is very injury prone. It is the reason I still consider him serious trade bait. Love him. Will cheer for him every game. However, he misses far to many games for my comfort level.

Different year, and we don't have the adequate replacement (Salmons) anymore. But leadership...please, that ship has sailed. As has winning. The big key will be whether the highly highly Kevin-centric offense we have been running was by design, or by lack of other talent. I am guessing it was by design -- Reke, Hawes, JT and Noc are all capable fo 3-5 pts more fairly easily, and Casspi could be a double figure type guy himself (likely open up things for him). Look at it as good development time for the rookies and Hawes as offensive options. We just don't have much of anything to lose.
He`s the leader in the sense that our teamates look up to him when we need something to happen out there. Especially offensively.

So now what we are going to play Tyreke at SG for 2 months.É. Then when kev comes back move Ty back to PG É. This is definitely going to confuse the kid if we are trying to make him our PG. (sry my question mark dosent work my laptop is messed everytime i try and put it this comes up instead É)

those kings are certainly capable of scoring more points, but without kevin martin, i see this team having a very difficult time scoring the ball consistently. thompson was fortunate enough to stay out of foul trouble long enough to have an impact against atlanta, but i doubt that means his foul troubles are over. hawes occasionally shows flashes of brilliance in the post, but he's still too prone to wandering around in the high post to very little effect. nocioni can be a potent scorer, but he's always been very streaky, as well...

as for 'reke, i think he is going to be a pretty stellar guard in the nba, but its going to take him some time to adapt to the pros. we've got front-row seats to his growing pains right now, and they're only gonna get worse without kevin martin there to alleviate some of the pressure on the offensive side of the ball. so where are the points gonna come from, especially when beno udrih is the closest thing to a natural playmaker that this team has?

if kevin martin is, indeed, out for 6-8 weeks, you're staring down either a) an opportunity for the continued development of young talent or b) a confidence-shattering, soul-sucking string of games in which the kings step backward in their development as a team more than they step forward. there's not much to lose, certainly, but its always nice to pair rookie talent with veteran talent so that the rookie talent doesn't feel too pressured to learn everything all at once and right away. i'm hopeful that the rookies will take some knocks to the chin that they can learn from while martin is out, but that any blows to their confidence aren't too destructive (think kevin martin in his first couple of seasons, when it didn't look like he'd amount to anything)...

those kings are certainly capable of scoring more points, but without kevin martin, i see this team having a very difficult time scoring the ball consistently. thompson was fortunate enough to stay out of foul trouble long enough to have an impact against atlanta, but i doubt that means his foul troubles are over. hawes occasionally shows flashes of brilliance in the post, but he's still too prone to wandering around in the high post to very little effect. nocioni can be a potent scorer, but he's always been very streaky, as well...

as for 'reke, i think he is going to be a pretty stellar guard in the nba, but its going to take him some time to adapt to the pros. we've got front-row seats to his growing pains right now, and they're only gonna get worse without kevin martin there to alleviate some of the pressure on the offensive side of the ball. so where are the points gonna come from, especially when beno udrih is the closest thing to a natural playmaker that this team has?

if kevin martin is, indeed, out for 6-8 weeks, you're staring down either a) an opportunity for the continued development of young talent or b) a confidence-shattering, soul-sucking string of games in which the kings step backward in their development as a team more than they step forward. there's not much to lose, certainly, but its always nice to pair rookie talent with veteran talent so that the rookie talent doesn't feel too pressured to learn everything all at once and right away. i'm hopeful that the rookies will take some knocks to the chin that they can learn from while martin is out, but that any blows to their confidence aren't too destructive (think kevin martin in his first couple of seasons, when it didn't look like he'd amount to anything)...
this is what im scared of. and it could certainly be the case....

piksi

Hall of Famer
stop with the John Wall nonsense.

First - we won't get lucky in the lottery

Second, if we do he will have a microfracture surgery.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm thinking this could turn out to be a good thing for Reke. Let him learn the new offense without the added pressure of having to run it every game. When Kevin comes back in two months he should be a lot more comfortable with all the sets and that's when you can move him back to the starting PG spot. At least that's what I would do. We knew from the beginning he wasn't going to be a "start from day one" PG in the league even if the Kings organization wanted to think so. Starting guard, yes. Pg, no. If his future is at the PG spot it's going to take some work to get him there.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Well, we'll probably have even more games to lose. Like instead of losing 65-75% of our games, maybe 85-95%.:D I have to laugh. We've been playing a lot of "what if" games on this board. Well, now we're going to know the answer to: What if Kevin Martin was out for 6-8 weeks with injury; where would the points come from? From a long term perspective, it doesn't mean a hill of beens except insuring us of a 25% chance of getting the #1 pick. From a short term perspective, I'm bummed. The kid has been a scoring machine and has been very fun to watch. And I've actually seen him playing some D so far this year...

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
For every adversity for someone there is an opportunity for someone else.

Cisco is out giving more time for Noce and Omri and now Udoka. Kevin out of the 2 spot, Tyreke slides over to the 2 and Beno to the PG spot with Sergio backup. The 2 backup becomes Udoka maybe or Beno with Sergio as PG. Lots of possibilities. Situation will demand more focus and effort from everyone. The new bunch, new coach and new system was going to take 2-3 months anyway to settle down and find a rotation that works.

But with so many different matchup situations, all 12 guys will start to see time depending on the opposition. All of which means the biggest ? is still Donte as to what he can do to help, if anything. We need to give it at least a couple of weeks to see what the possibilities are. Gotta have patience. ;)

Kmart injured unfortunately isn't really a surprise anymore. I'm afraid he is a bit brittle. Same goes for Garcia, although this time his injury was not basketball related. Martin needs to bulk up for the sake of preventing injury. The way he throws his body around the court, he in going to take a lot of punishment. He needs to beef up a bit to absorb the punishment of a full season. I know you cant plan for injuries, but you can get your body in the best possible shape to try and prevent the ankle type injuries that Martin has gotten far too often. This wrist injury seems like a freak accident, but if he had a little more meat on those bones, he might have just gotten badly bruised. Who knows? I just dont see how the Kings can compete without Martin's scoring. The rest of the team will have to pick up their offense just to make up for part of what they will lose with Martin on the sideline. I dont know if he will be sidelined for a long period of time, but if he is, the Kings offense will suffer. Time for other players to step up their game and show the coach what they got.

stop with the John Wall nonsense.

First - we won't get lucky in the lottery

Second, if we do he will have a microfracture surgery.
I'm going to be honest, I don't believe in this Sacramento voodoo BS. The lottery IS luck, so who are you to say whether or not we will or won't be lucky? I personally like the John Wall "nonsense".

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Now I am rarely first in line to argue for Kevin's toughness, but I'm not sure what the point would really be given our situation. If we were a 60 win team witha shot at the title and this was March or something...yeah, I want him to try to suck it up and hold out unitl the offseason is possible. But 5 games into a season which everybody kows is going to be a lottery season anyway? Might as well do it right + get it healthy. Not much on the line and 6 straight months of basketball ahead is a long time.

P.S. As an aside why do they always do surgery for broken bones in the NBA? Shouldn't a hairline fracture especially already be set and in place to heal by itself as long as its immobilized?
Good question.. I was wondering the same thing myself. It would seem that a hairline fracture would just heal itself with time. I agree on keeping Kevin out. Whats the point of his playing. Thats what he tried to do last year and all we got was a 70% Kevin. Besides, as fragile as he appears to be, he would probably end up hurting it worse.

This is what I was worried about before the season began. This will be year number three with Kevin getting injured. Some people bend, and some people break. Imagine for a moment Martin taking the fall that Thompson took in that game. Its impossible to put a price tag on durablilty, but it certainly has value.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He`s the leader in the sense that our teamates look up to him when we need something to happen out there. Especially offensively.

So now what we are going to play Tyreke at SG for 2 months.É. Then when kev comes back move Ty back to PG É. This is definitely going to confuse the kid if we are trying to make him our PG. (sry my question mark dosent work my laptop is messed everytime i try and put it this comes up instead É)
I don't think it will confuse him. He seems bright enough to know what the situation is and understand that changes need to be made. It may slow his matuation process some. But in reality, Beno can play the shooting guard on offense and guard the point guard on defense. It may not be the perfect world, but it can work.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kmart injured unfortunately isn't really a surprise anymore. I'm afraid he is a bit brittle. Same goes for Garcia, although this time his injury was not basketball related. Martin needs to bulk up for the sake of preventing injury. The way he throws his body around the court, he in going to take a lot of punishment. He needs to beef up a bit to absorb the punishment of a full season. I know you cant plan for injuries, but you can get your body in the best possible shape to try and prevent the ankle type injuries that Martin has gotten far too often. This wrist injury seems like a freak accident, but if he had a little more meat on those bones, he might have just gotten badly bruised. Who knows? I just dont see how the Kings can compete without Martin's scoring. The rest of the team will have to pick up their offense just to make up for part of what they will lose with Martin on the sideline. I dont know if he will be sidelined for a long period of time, but if he is, the Kings offense will suffer. Time for other players to step up their game and show the coach what they got.

Don't know if you noticed, but Martin has been bulking up. Probably as much as he's capable. He's blessed with great quickness and speed, but not with big bones and a frame that will hold a lot of muscle. Not everyone can become Hurcules. Kevin is who he is. When I played, I couldn't sprain my ankle if I tried. I can't tell you how many times I rolled it and nada a bit of swelling. My son and daughter, especially my daughter, are both victims of very bad sprained ankles.

Everyone is different and sometimes there's just nothing you can do about it. And believe me it has nothing to do with muscle. It has to do with elasticity and flexabiltiy. As I stated earlier. Some people bend and some people break. Its no one's fault, but it is frustrating.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Called it ages ago....K-Mart goes down with injury. Reke BEASTS as a SG. K-Mart (and possibly an expiring) nets us something grand.

Part one has happened.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Let's see, Kmart has injured his groin, ankle, hand, ankle again, and wrist, so he's earned the Mr. Glass award. I think he should just sit out and maybe experiment with Evans/Udoka at SG.

I don't think it will confuse him. He seems bright enough to know what the situation is and understand that changes need to be made. It may slow his matuation process some. But in reality, Beno can play the shooting guard on offense and guard the point guard on defense. It may not be the perfect world, but it can work.
I geuss that is true.. never really thought of it that way.
Beno is a great off ball player too. It just might work effectively.