Official 2009 Nba Draft Thread

Griffin and Rubio were the two top prospects in this Draft and the two BPA. Evans rose in draft camps because of 1 on 1, but was outshined by other guards in 3v3 and 5v5.

And if you want to argue with Rubio people on this, bring intelligent analysis. Not just smiles and prayers.

just thought id weigh in on our pick.

i was all for drafting rubio at number 4. as soon as i saw him play i knew that was the guy i wanted on our team. i think he is exactly what this team needs, a player who can distribute the ball and make everyone else better players. but he is also what the CITY needed. all of the disappointment and hard times we've been through over the past couple years starting with the horry shot and most recently, losing the lottery and gaining the number 4 pick. when it all shook out and there was a chance rubio might fall to 4, i was VERY excited. i haven't been to a kings game in a really long time, and the possibility of rubio coming to sac would've pushed me to buying a ticket and checking him out. now, im sure evans is going to be a great player, but rubio would have created so much buzz and enthusiasm around this team. with the attendance at arco dwindling, they needed to draft someone who would put butts in the seats, and rubio would have done exactly that.

just my opinion =)
Improving the TEAM if first thing on the priority list...when that happens, the ticket sales will follow. If Evans does to turn out to be BPA then i cant complain. I dont care if only 5 fans show up to the games as long as our team is better for it.

Evans and Martin backcourt.....Did they change the rules that we now play with 2 balls at the same time?

Seriously though, I wanted Rubio too and have a feeling we may regret this move several years from now. But Evans is not the end of the world.

Maybe we will be trading KMart to Minn for Rubio + etc? or maybe Evans will be a Wade-type player? maybe we will get another PG with our other pick (like rodriguez already)

Also, the NBA game nowadays have made the rules so that Penetration is very important, maybe he will thrive in the NBA? I just hope there will be ball movement since without it, we won't be really much better.

Only time will tell.

i was all for drafting rubio at number 4. as soon as i saw him play i knew that was the guy i wanted on our team. i think he is exactly what this team needs, a player who can distribute the ball and make everyone else better players. but he is also what the CITY needed. all of the disappointment and hard times we've been through over the past couple years starting with the horry shot and most recently, losing the lottery and gaining the number 4 pick. when it all shook out and there was a chance rubio might fall to 4, i was VERY excited. i haven't been to a kings game in a really long time, and the possibility of rubio coming to sac would've pushed me to buying a ticket and checking him out. now, im sure evans is going to be a great player, but rubio would have created so much buzz and enthusiasm around this team. with the attendance at arco dwindling, they needed to draft someone who would put butts in the seats, and rubio would have done exactly that.

just my opinion =)
Listen, I don't disagree with anything you just said. I actually feel the same way; however, like I said to Gary at the end of the day, the player who will sell the most tickets is the one who performs. If Evans is truly a star caliber player he will be fine. The analysts all had him as their #3 player. The stat guys including Hollinger and some others I read on other boards had Evans even with Rubio. He's not a reach or a sure bust. Give him a chance on the court.

just my opinion =)
Yah, I have been boycotting pretty much everything that has to do with giving money to the Kings. (except watching some games last year on tv which I don't know if they get money just for me watching). I haven't bought a Jersey, went to a game, or purchased anything to do with the Kings until they start acting like an NBA franchise. Looks like another year of boycotting is in store for me. :mad:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He will start at PG.

Mark this post...

Think about it like this:
Rubio and Martin as our backcourt would have been the softest, most pushed around backcourt in the NBA... Add those two with Hawes/Thompson/? and we would have been bulldozed off the court...

I like Evans size. I like the MISMATCH he will give us against other SMALL PGs...

This will also help KMart..
BINGO. You'd have to come up with a metaphor than would be softer than marshmallow to describe that backcourt.

08:47 PM: RUMOR: The Stephen Curry pick was possibly made for the Suns, according to the Arizona Republic. An announcement on Amare Stoudemire going to Golden State in a deal for Andris Biedrins, Stephen Curry and some other Warriors players like Marco Belinelli and/or Brandan Wright could happen next week.

Thats gotta mean the end of the line for Nash, and all of a sudden Phoenix has a nice new young core.

Griffin and Rubio were the two top prospects in this Draft and the two BPA. Evans rose in draft camps because of 1 on 1, but was outshined by other guards in 3v3 and 5v5.

And if you want to argue with Rubio people on this, bring intelligent analysis. Not just smiles and prayers.
Griffin was but i dont know about Rubio. He was definitely the most hyped available though..

Improving the TEAM if first thing on the priority list...when that happens, the ticket sales will follow. If Evans does to turn out to be BPA then i cant complain. I dont care if only 5 fans show up to the games as long as our team is better for it.
I disagree. We should have picked he hyped player. Just like we should have picked John Wallace over Peja. Morris Peterson over Hedo. Etc. No brainer in my mind :D

In other news, still on the board:

Holiday, Lawson, Maynor, Blair, James Johnson, Austin Daye, Jeff Teague, Sam Young, B.J. Mullens.

Did I miss anybody? I wouldn't mind having one of the above.
Exactly what I'm thinking.... minus Austin Daye and James Johnson....

One thing I'd like to point out. We have the 23rd pick. That excites me. We know that Petrie has gotten star/very good players with those late 1st round picks. Martin, Garcia, Wallace. I wonder who he will pick. What position he will be looking to draft.. We got our starting PG now in Evans. We're set at SG with Martin, Noc. Thompson. Hawes. Maybe a backup point guard? Backup big man?

Curry is gonna be a star been hearing this from him all morning
Sorry if this was sarcasm, but I don't think a star. With that said, he should be a perfect fit for Nellie Ball. A high IQ, good shooter who can pass and shoot off the dribble. He will fit next to Monta in the GS scheme nicely.

Although, there are rumors he is going to Phoenix along with Biedrens, Wright, Azubuike, and Bellinelli for Amare.