Official 2009 Nba Draft Thread

This is worse than losing the lottery. The Kings got a gift when Rubio fell to 4, but GP stuck to his script. Look I know nothing about any of these players so I look at the obvious and try not to get caught in the hype. The consensus was that this was a weak draft, and that there was a huge drop-off after the first three picks, assuming that the three picks were a combination of Griffin, Thabeet and Rubio. So if we have a chance of getting one of those guys and don't -- you gotta say why? Evans might be a very good player but right now it just seems like reaching. Petrie is infuriating.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
We don't know that Thabeet is a bad NBA PG too because he will never be asked to play that position either. So what's your point? Evans was a SG that handled the ball in college and everyone is thinking he's a PG. He wasn't a distributor, he didn't look for open teammates when he thought he had a shot of his own. Seen many many games of his, and he didn't strike me as anything but a SG that handled the ball. Absolutely minimal PG skills in college.
Can he:

Handle the basketball? Check.
Bring the ball up the court? Check.
Create his own shot? Check.
Create shots for his teammates? Check. Certainly needs work, but he can do it.

And he can't play PG because...?

This is worse than losing the lottery. The Kings got a gift when Rubio fell to 4, but GP stuck to his script. Look I know nothing about any of these players so I look at the obvious and try not to get caught in the hype. The consensus was that this was a weak draft, and that there was a huge drop-off after the first three picks, assuming that the three picks were a combination of Griffin, Thabeet and Rubio. So if we have a chance of getting one of those guys and don't -- you gotta say why? Evans might be a very good player but right now it just seems like reaching. Petrie is infuriating.

Yah.. The lottery was bad, and then we had a chance to get the player the fans want to go and see and they do this..

The Kings are definitely going to move now.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
We don't know that Thabeet is a bad NBA PG too because he will never be asked to play that position either. So what's your point? Evans was a SG that handled the ball in college and everyone is thinking he's a PG. He wasn't a distributor, he didn't look for open teammates when he thought he had a shot of his own. Seen many many games of his, and he didn't strike me as anything but a SG that handled the ball. Absolutely minimal PG skills in college.
Everyone here was screaming for GP to get the BPA, and according to most sources Evans may not be the best PG, but behind Griffin was probably the BPA. Why the griping? We picked up another PG earlier today and still have two picks left.

To quote a famous tank driver:

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Have a little faith!

Everyone here was screaming for GP to get the BPA, and according to most sources Evans may not be the best PG, but behind Griffin was probably the BPA. Why the griping? We picked up another PG earlier today and still have two picks left.

To quote a famous tank driver:

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Have a little faith!
amen brother haha

Whether or not Petrie made the right choice... the guy sure is a MASTER at pissing off the majority of the fan base...lol. He almost NEVER makes the pick the fans want him to. This is only my observation of the last few years of course.

Yah.. The lottery was bad, and then we had a chance to get the player the fans want to go and see and they do this..

The Kings are definitely going to move now.

Dude, calm down. He's a good player and a great prospect. He's 8 years younger than Martin. Plus, we're getting John Wall next year. ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Why do people have so much faith in Petrie? Does nobody remember the Webber trade? Re-signing Beno? Drafting Douby over Farmar?
Well, anybody who's been on this message board more than a minute and a half knows that I have no faith in Petrie. I just happen to agree with the sentiment that Evans was the BPA.

Can he:

Handle the basketball? Check.
Bring the ball up the court? Check.
Create his own shot? Check.
Create shots for his teammates? Check. Certainly needs work, but he can do it.

And he can't play PG because...?
Yes he can handle the ball
Yes he can bring the ball up court (but I suspect he will have problems with this in the NBA when defense cracks down on him)
He can create his own shot.. Just like John Salmons can.
And NOPE he cannot create for other teammates.. Can he learn it? That's not something I want to go through as a fan. Douby2.0.

Tell me something... How many times watching him did you see him drive to the lane and kick out? I saw him do this maybe once or twice in the 12-15 games I saw him in this year. How many times did you see him split defenses with a bounce pass to a big in the lane through defenders? I don't remember him doing that once this year.

I am pissed that we didn't get Rubio but I am not going to doubt Geoff Petrie. His draft record is very good so I am sure he has picked a good one in Evans.

Still bummed that we passed on Rubio :(

Yes he can handle the ball
Yes he can bring the ball up court (but I suspect he will have problems with this in the NBA when defense cracks down on him)
He can create his own shot.. Just like John Salmons can.
And NOPE he cannot create for other teammates.. Can he learn it? That's not something I want to go through as a fan. Douby2.0.

Tell me something... How many times watching him did you see him drive to the lane and kick out? I saw him do this maybe once or twice in the 12-15 games I saw him in this year. How many times did you see him split defenses with a bounce pass to a big in the lane through defenders? I don't remember him doing that once this year.

Whether or not he is a pg, he is still going to be better than Douby and I can guarantee that. After his workouts Evans was praised as being an absolute STUD and probably the best player behind Griffin. And I think thats exactly what he will be, a stud...unfortunately there is a possibility his studliness is not in the place we need it exactly.

So, let me get this straight. The Kings were the one team that had Rubio doing a workout for them. They have done truckloads of interviews with him and scouted him possibly more thoroughly than any other team. Isn't it just possible that the workout actually convinced the front office that the drawbacks on Rubio, of which there are several real ones, made him too great a risk, a conclusion that was drawn whilst having the most data anyone had on him.