"SNEEK PEEK" of Brandon Jennings and Johnny Flynn

<sigh> I understand he was getting kind of egged on by the reporters, but jeez, that was a gross misrepresentation of the truth on his game vs. Rubio. Considering very few of those minutes were actually squaring up against Rubio himself (Jennings got burned a couple times trying to guard him too) and that was right when Rubio was coming back and had just a left hand to work with.

Honestly everything was put out of proportion....as soon as Amick said that Jennings said Rubio was all hype, people started hating on the kid calling him a punk and a jerk. When the reporters are the ones who asked him if Rubio was all hype, he said yes I bet you Flynn would have said yes too. The fact is the time he played Rubio, Rubio only had 2 assist and 2 turnovers along with 0 points. When Jennings had 16 points and a couple of assists. Through his eyes and the time he played against him he didn't see anything special. And he should know, because he played against the guy.

S

sactownfan

alright Jennings was acting cocky... no doubt... but for a long time now its been Rubio vs Jennings and they both know it... its a nice rivalry... anyway Jennings was part serious and part being funny... he was being egged on by the media... to be honest Rubio along wit all these players are surrounded with question marks...

also Kobe talks all kind of trash and disrespects players all the time. same with KG, whatever... nothing Jennings said was "over the line to me"

<sigh> I understand he was getting kind of egged on by the reporters, but jeez, that was a gross misrepresentation of the truth on his game vs. Rubio. Considering very few of those minutes were actually squaring up against Rubio himself (Jennings got burned a couple times trying to guard him too) and that was right when Rubio was coming back and had just a left hand to work with.

Did you watch the game?

Honestly everything was put out of proportion....as soon as Amick said that Jennings said Rubio was all hype, people started hating on the kid calling him a punk and a jerk. When the reporters are the ones who asked him if Rubio was all hype, he said yes I bet you Flynn would have said yes too. The fact is the time he played Rubio, Rubio only had 2 assist and 2 turnovers along with 0 points. When Jennings had 16 points and a couple of assists. Through his eyes and the time he played against him he didn't see anything special. And he should know, because he played against the guy.
Yeah, I'm sure Jennings is right and all the NBA scouts are wrong. :rolleyes:

He played against Rubio in a game where Rubio was pretty much restricted to just using his off-hand.

And I doubt Flynn would have said he's all hype for two reasons;

A) Because unless you have a screw loose, you know Rubio is not all hype.

And

B) He's not dumb enough to blatantly disrespect another guy.

Yeah, I'm sure Jennings is right and all the NBA scouts are wrong. :rolleyes:

He played against Rubio in a game where Rubio was pretty much restricted to just using his off-hand.

And I doubt Flynn would have said he's all hype for two reasons;

A) Because unless you have a screw loose, you know Rubio is not all hype.

And

B) He's not dumb enough to blatantly disrespect another guy.
Now hang on there. First of all, NBA scouts are wrong all the time. That doesn't make Jennings right, but it doesn't make him wrong either.

Second, both Jennings and Rubio show signs of immaturity. Maybe because they're 18 and 19?

Actually I bet Flynn wouldn't. He didn't just say yes (that he was all hype) and moved on, he gave bogus reasons why he thought so. Here's what Jennings said on facing Rubio, “It was cool. He was only playing with one hand. He’s pretty good. Not bad." so he knew Rubio was playing with a messed up wrist and basically only with his off hand (which means he couldn't really shoot.) He can compliment him and say he thinks he should be picked higher than Rubio at the same time. I actually watched that game and he did not play that many minutes against him, on two occasions Rubio got by Jennings without much difficulty.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Jennings seems to have a case of Arenas-itis with him smack talking Evans, Holiday, and now Rubio.

I'm more worried about him Twittering about playing a good three years and then "getting PAID"....Jennings seems like a kid who will bolt on us if he is good. Lose lose.

I'm hoping for Flynn

Now hang on there. First of all, NBA scouts are wrong all the time. That doesn't make Jennings right, but it doesn't make him wrong either.

Second, both Jennings and Rubio show signs of immaturity. Maybe because they're 18 and 19?

Actually, Jennings is wrong. Rubio isn't all hype. I'd imagine anyone with any ounce of basketball knowledge can see that, regardless of how biased they are. Now that doesn't mean he's going to be a great player, or that he'll definitely be better than Jennings, but that's a whole other issue.

The topic at hand is whether he's all hype. If you've got a brain, you can see that that's simply not true.

Lack of class by Jennings.

Rubio has shown immaturity but not on a personal level, nor anything that would suggest he is going to be dumb/or a cancer. Jennings, meanwhile, has shown that he openly disrespects players who he clearly knows nothing about.

One of these can be attributed to youth, and one really cannot. Spot which one is which?

Actually, Jennings is wrong. Rubio isn't all hype. I'd imagine anyone with any ounce of basketball knowledge can see that, regardless of how biased they are. Now that doesn't mean he's going to be a great player, or that he'll definitely be better than Jennings, but that's a whole other issue.

The topic at hand is whether he's all hype. If you've got a brain, you can see that that's simply not true.

Lack of class by Jennings.

Rubio has shown immaturity but not on a personal level, nor anything that would suggest he is going to be dumb/or a cancer. Jennings, meanwhile, has shown that he openly disrespects players who he clearly knows nothing about.

One of these can be attributed to youth, and one really cannot. Spot which one is which?
I don't think it was the most artful thing to say about another player, nor was it cool to misrepresent a game. But it's also not THAT big a deal.

"All hype" just means that he thinks that the hype around Rubio isn't proportional to what Rubio has accomplished or how good he is. And Jennings isn't the only person in the universe to feel that way. Maybe Jennings is jealous, maybe that's just how he honestly feels. Who knows. He didn't seem like he was burning with jealousy, but I guess only he knows for sure.

And yeah, maybe it is a red flag for Jennings. Same with Rubio's T in the Olympics. These guys aren't perfect, and they both seem a bit immature.

I don't think Jennings HAS to respect Rubio's accomplishments, because frankly, making the Olympics and being good in the Euro Leagues really doesn't mean much when it comes to translating to NBA success.

The reason I'm particularly hard on Jennings in these cases is because he simply has a lot more to prove on this aspect of himself than other players do, and besides no one else is really putting others down like this. We all know the raw ability is there, but is the character to improve himself there? Whether he ends up being a good player depends so much on his attitude and personality, which from what little information we've got on it, it shades towards not being very mature.

Last edited:
J

jdbraver

If my memory isn't tricking me didn't someone inside the organization say they wanted a big PG. I think flynn is a good player but he would be a liability on the def end and we don't have any one who could make up for it. Our D is already bad enough.

If my memory isn't tricking me didn't someone inside the organization say they wanted a big PG. I think flynn is a good player but he would be a liability on the def end and we don't have any one who could make up for it. Our D is already bad enough.
That was Theus.

Petrie is fine with smaller PG's. He was/is high on Aaron Brooks.

I don't think it was the most artful thing to say about another player, nor was it cool to misrepresent a game. But it's also not THAT big a deal.
There's a pattern there with Jennings. Bad grades, can't or doesn't try hard enough to get into schools, goes to Europe to earn $$ to avoid school, chooses the wrong team and can't get playing time, skips out of that Eurocamp at the last minute even though many NBA GMs were going just to see him leaving a bad taste, and now with the trash talk of other players. I'm not even following this guy and I've seen all this. I'm probably missing more.

May end up an elite talent, but any team drafting him has to be prepared for the attitude.

There's a pattern there with Jennings. Bad grades, can't or doesn't try hard enough to get into schools, goes to Europe to earn $$ to avoid school, chooses the wrong team and can't get playing time, skips out of that Eurocamp at the last minute even though many NBA GMs were going just to see him leaving a bad taste, and now with the trash talk of other players. I'm not even following this guy and I've seen all this. I'm probably missing more.

May end up an elite talent, but any team drafting him has to be prepared for the attitude.
Definitely. I'm not even much of a fan of Jennings, just reacting to this one thing. He probably should have known better than to say it and it may be part of a larger pattern of behavior, he just struck me as being too honest rather than being delusional or petty or anything like that.

Definitely. I'm not even much of a fan of Jennings, just reacting to this one thing. He probably should have known better than to say it and it may be part of a larger pattern of behavior, he just struck me as being too honest rather than being delusional or petty or anything like that.
Well, we know for sure that he tried to play that game off as a matchup victory for him when a.) Rubio was still injured and b.) they didn't play that many minutes directly against each other. So, honest? I don't know if I'd say that exactly.

I don't think Jennings is the way to go either. We need someone who isn't just known for their athleticism... we need a point guard. How many times has a player hailed for his athletic ability come into the league and just turn out to be a complete bust? Its inumerable... How often to you see a player with good court vision and intelligence enter the league and bust? Its a very exclusive club... Who knows? Jennings could be the next Chris Paul... I just think their is a much greater chance he turns out to be Ronnie Price with more of an ego...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Am I the only one who has to wonder why Amick would even ask a loaded question like that? Maybe I'm off-base but to me it seemed as though he was well aware what the possible answer would be and was looking to shake things up.

:rolleyes:

This is my biggest concern with Jennings. Him skipping off to Europe just leaps out at me. I just see him saying to himself "College? But that means I'd have to keep my grades up which I don't think I can do". That may be far from the truth, but if it isn't then it's a huge red flag. At least for me.