There is no topic

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Weather rocket kills man and blows up his body at cremation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...s-man-and-blows-up-his-body-at-cremation.html

The body of Wang Diange, from the Chinese province of Inner Mongolia, was found in the wreckage of a house where he had been overseeing the wake of a previous family funeral, after mourners felt a loud explosion which took off half the roof.
As it was raining and thundery, they decided that the house, and Mr Wang in particular, had been struck by lightning. The police came to the same conclusion.
Further inquiries were made a few days later after Mr Wang's own funeral. As his body was being put into the cremation chamber, it blew up spectacularly, bursting the doors off the oven.
When the fire had been put out, the only clue as to what had happened was a small twisted piece of metal, which seemed to be the glowing remnants of a screw.
At first, local metallurgists were unable to determine what it was, though they noted it bore a military serial number. After a lengthy investigation, however, it was suggested it might be part of a shell casing.
Inquiries revealed that the rainfall on the day of the original disaster was triggered by the local weather bureau, which had been firing shells into the atmosphere to break up hail in order to protect the local tobacco crop.
Inside the shells were silver iodide, a chemical that helps to break up hail into rain.
Their own investigators concluded that one shell must have failed to explode, hit the house, and lodged in Mr Wang's body. There it passed unnoticed because of his extensive injuries, according to local newspaper reports.
As a result, and three years after Mr Wang died, his family have now received 80,000 yuan (£8,000) in compensation from the weather bureau.

I've been getting paid in video-games for small graphic design services... (Secret of Mana -SNES via Wii, and Call of Duty World at War - PS3)

It's for now but someday I'll be starving :D.

Warhawk

Staff member
Apparently this guy has a relative!

http://www.cbs46.com/news/17919628/detail.html

SARGENT, Ga. -- A Coweta County man who set his house on fire while cleaning out cobwebs with a blowtorch won't be charged, Fire Chief Bill Haynes told CBS 46 Thursday afternoon.

Authorities said Galen Winchell set fire to his home on Smith Road in Sargent around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday as he cleaned cobwebs from exterior eaves with a blowtorch. Winchell noticed the blaze when he saw smoke pouring from the attic.

Haynes said the fire was contained to one part of the house, because the home had several layers of roofing. But haynes said the entire home suffered at least some smoke and water damage.

No one was hurt.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28366005/

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. - Fire officials in New Bedford, Mass., say a man using a blowtorch to melt ice on his back porch ended up setting his house on fire, causing up to $30,000 in damage.
Fire Capt. Scott Kruger tells The Standard-Times of New Bedford that no on was injured during Monday's incident at the three-story home.
Kruger says the man was using a torch hooked up to a 20-pound propane cylinder. He got too close to the building's wood frame and ignited the vinyl siding. The fire quickly spread into the building's second- and third-floor apartments.
It took 25 firefighters to subdue the blaze that damaged bedrooms in the upstairs units, and caused damage to the structure and wiring.
The homeowner will not be charged.

Every now and then, I'm reminded of just how OCD I can be at times.

For instance, I bought a cheap little weekly planner for 2009 a couple of days ago and discovered today that it actually starts with the last week of June 2008. Since the idea of having this planner start with six months of emptiness annoys me more than I can possibly express, I'm currently filling in all of my appointments from the 2008 planner.

Sigh.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, that's an easy question to answer, hoopsie. If she took the pages out, there'd be the conflict between the cover and the contents AND those unsightly stubs from where the pages were torn out...

:p

Well, that's an easy question to answer, hoopsie. If she took the pages out, there'd be the conflict between the cover and the contents AND those unsightly stubs from where the pages were torn out...

:p
The cover just says 2009, so that wouldn't be an issue. And I never tear pages out when I can use scissors to avoid the stubs. The main reason that I couldn't remove the 2008 pages is that the spiral binding would then be disproportionately large for the number of pages contained within the binder.

Really... this would be amusing if any part of it were untrue. :eek:

Warhawk

Staff member
Skier Caught Dangling Bare-Bottomed on Lift

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,477385,00.html

VAIL, Colo. — The guy who ended up dangling upside down from a ski lift with his bare bottom whistling in the wind probably doesn't want to hear any "ski bum" jokes. Vail Resorts said the 48-year-old man wasn't injured and was rescued after about seven minutes. His name hasn't been released.

Resort officials have said only that the man was trying to get on the Blue Ski Basin lift on New Year's Day. They haven't said what went wrong.
Resort workers stopped the lift, backed it up about 10 or 12 feet and rescued the man.
Bystanders snapped photos and posted them the Internet, showing a man who looks to be hanging by one ski boot, his ski pants and underwear apparently snagged in the chair and reaching no farther than his knees.
Vail spokeswoman Liz Biebl confirmed the photos on one site were in fact the victim.

Follow the link for a photo of the guy hanging from the lift....

The cover just says 2009, so that wouldn't be an issue. And I never tear pages out when I can use scissors to avoid the stubs. The main reason that I couldn't remove the 2008 pages is that the spiral binding would then be disproportionately large for the number of pages contained within the binder.

Really... this would be amusing if any part of it were untrue. :eek:

That's why it's good to work where I do. I can just re-bind to whatever size you need. :p

Warhawk

Staff member
Just finished mowing the yard on a riding mower (we have a big yard). In the middle of January. In a sweatshirt. And I was warm.

This is crazy.

Student murders mom after Halo 3 gets taken away

ELYRIA, Ohio (AP) - Although a teenager's obsession with a violent video game may have warped his sense of reality, the boy is guilty of murdering his mother and wounding his father after they took "Halo 3" away from him, a judge ruled Monday.
Rest here..

Wow, I personally love the Halo franchise, but seriously.. :eek: