Jason Thompson

How do you grade the pick of Jason Thompson?

• Total voters

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think Thompson is gonna be getting minutes at PF. So really its him vs Sheldon for the minutes off the bench. As Miller and Hawes will probably just split the time at the 5, and Mikki (for some reason) will continue to start at the 4.

And based on his play, I dont think there's any reason why Thompson couldnt edge out Sheldon for those bench minutes

What's up Kings fans, I felt like signing up here because I go to Rider. Saw all the games, went to all the home games, etc.
Anyways, he's a project because there are still a lot of things he needs to get better with. He relied on his athleticism in college- he was out of position a good bit, but he'll learn. He is a great offensive rebounder, solid defensive rebounder.
The best part of his game is that he doesn't force things offensively. He has a good feel for the defender and is a good passer. The passing ability is where the "guard skills" come in.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
http://www.rider.edu/174_13186.htm

I had posted a couple days ago some game stats showing Jason Thompson vs Mike Beasley in a K-State / Rider tournament match-up last season. I had some of the stats off - apparently way off. Jason TOTALLY outclassed Beasley, even though his Rider team lost 82-69. This big man is FOR REAL.
As good or better than Beasley - only time will tell.
That was one of the games that I watched with Thompson, and when you posted those stats, thats not how I remembered it, but at my age, I figured what the hell. Beasley scored most of his points in the second half, and in his defense, I don't think he took the Rider team seriously.. In the second half he played much better. But there is no doubt that at least in that game Thompson outplayed him.

i was deciding if this should be a B- or C+. i really think thompson is a reach at the 12 spot and that we could have gotten him later on in the draft if we would have traded down. but i decided that since he does fill a need and has the skills to help the team, i went with a B.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I just meant I don't think he'll last in the NBA. We always pick slow big man with no athleticism. Remember Spencer Hawes. No worries, we will be back in the lottery next year with a much better chance at a high pick.
Would you please tell me why you think that Jason Thompson is a slow man with no athleticism. Why do I even bother talking to people that have absolutely no idea what their talking about. Its obvious, that you know nothing about Jason Thompson.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Dime, it sounds like you've seen this guy play. What I want to know is: Can he defend a power forward in the NBA? Can he come from the weak side to block a shot in the NBA? Can he guard the post? Can he guard anybody that takes the ball outside to score? If he can, then you have allayed my concerns.
I've seen the guy play. As far as answering your question, I don't know. Very few players come into the NBA and immediately become defensive giants. Especially if the bulk of what they were asked to do on thier team was play offense. If you ask me is he athletic enough to play defense? The answer is yes. He was the MAAC defensive player of the year. He averaged a double double 20 times last year, and had 20 pt's and 20 rebounds three times. He averaged just under 3 blks a game, and just over 3 assists a game. He handle's the ball very well and passes tha ball very well. Now having said that, he did play in a lesser conference against weaker competition. The knock on him was that sometimes against that lesser competition, he didn't rise to the occasion. However, in the 3 or 4 games he played against top teams, he excelled, and outplayed his opposite.

Take all that and do with it what you will. We'll just have to wait and see how all that translates to the NBA. I will say this though. Anyone who says that he is slow and unathletic, is simply ignorant to the point of looking ridiculous. Its obvious that they haven't seen him play. Not even on youtube.

What's up Kings fans, I felt like signing up here because I go to Rider. Saw all the games, went to all the home games, etc.
Anyways, he's a project because there are still a lot of things he needs to get better with. He relied on his athleticism in college- he was out of position a good bit, but he'll learn. He is a great offensive rebounder, solid defensive rebounder.
The best part of his game is that he doesn't force things offensively. He has a good feel for the defender and is a good passer. The passing ability is where the "guard skills" come in.
Welcome! You are the expert (on Jason Thompson and Rider B-Ball) and please keep us informed. How was his brother in tandem on the court? We might be experts out here on the Stanford/Lopez brothers, but know a LOT less about the Rider/Thompson brothers. I heard his little brother was skinny 6'7 soph, but second on the team to Jason in pts, rebounds, etc.

so what do you think his rookie stats would be? im saying hell be a Jason maxielle type of player...

8.0ppg 6.0 rpg 1.2 apg and 1.01 blocks probably :p heres to hoping

This thread contains some of the most combined idiotic comments I have seen here in one thread.

First off, for those of you who believe that Jason is not athletic or less than average athletically, please take a few moments to go over his video clips available on the web and on his own website. After viewing, if you still feel he is average to below average athletically, then you cannot judge athleticism.

Next, for those of you pining that Geoff should have traded down to get Jason, since he "obviously" would have been available at a lower rung on the ladder, well, were you looking at the mocks over the last couple weeks? I found at least two that showed him going to Golden State at #14. Therefore, that ends the whole discussion, since none of you knows what the Warriors were really thinking. As an aside, even if you discount those mocks and still say "Geoff should have known", what extra compensation do you think the Kings would have gotten for moving down 4 or 6 or 8 slots? A future first rounder? Gimme a break. We get minor extras for that kind of position swap.

Finally, for those of you disgusted with this pick, what if the Kings had chosen Arthur, starter from the NCAA Div I champion team, or Jordan, raw athletic guy with "big upside" per the mocks (and one of my "picks")? Both were very popular mock draft picks for around Kings-time, Arthur more than Jordan, but they both fell miserably to #28 and #35. I am sure that those of you disgusted with our pick would have been happier with either of these guys. The Kings had the pick of the litter of big guys after Beasley, Love, and Brook Lopez, and they decided that Jason was the best of the rest. I am way OK with this.

Now, with all that said, I was sitting front and center at the Kings Draft Party tonight, and after Indy picked Bayless, I naturally found that all the bigs on my "list" were still around. I favored the athletically-freakish Randolph, also from my alma-mama. The others on my list were Speights, Hibbert, and Jordan, and I even penned in Arthur. I had not even viewed clips of Thompson, thinking he was too much of a dark horse. But when I got back home tonight, I read the analysis of this kid and looked at the video clips, and felt immediately that he was a solid choice. We have some athleticism on our front line now to put next to Brad and Spencer and Mikki, and that will make those players better. He was a conference Defensive POY, regardless of what conference that was, and a good rebounder. I like the looks of his jumper, how he passes the ball, and the fact that he can play with his back to the basket or step outside and fire away. Jason is also amongst the most NBA-ready bigs that were out there, like Hibbert.

All in all, for me as a STH, mission accomplished. And like many others have already said, we will see in 3 years who the best GM was in the middle of the draft pack after #11 with the choosing of the several bigs that were available.

Next, for those of you pining that Geoff should have traded down to get Jason, since he "obviously" would have been available at a lower rung on the ladder, well, were you looking at the mocks over the last couple weeks? I found at least two that showed him going to Golden State at #14. Therefore, that ends the whole discussion, since none of you knows what the Warriors were really thinking. As an aside, even if you discount those mocks and still say "Geoff should have known", what extra compensation do you think the Kings would have gotten for moving down 4 or 6 or 8 slots? A future first rounder? Gimme a break. We get minor extras for that kind of position swap.
you found 2 mocks out of several that had him go to GS and that ends the discussion? yet you are complaining that we based our assessment on several mocks that have him go later in the round. :rolleyes:

no one knows what we could have gotten if we moved down. of course not a future first rounder, but maybe a second rounder who we could have used on mario chalmers, CDR, jordan, jawai or any of the foreign prospects. since no one knows, we coulda got crap...or we could have gotten a potential steal

i understand the frustration on a lot of the negative feedback. some have reasoning behind it, dont get them confused with others that are just saying crap like thompson sucks (which i dont think he does) without reasonings.

This thread contains some of the most combined idiotic comments I have seen here in one thread.
Well said - meaning your entire statement. The good news is overwhelming majority here agree with you. Just look at Jason Thompson poll. There's always the professional naysayers, generally uninformed ranters, Joe-Blow working on that last six-pack out there:p But, I'm amazed by thoughtful nature of most who posted. The ones with knee-jerk emotional outbursts look silly, but luckily even a few of them later regrouped to come back with some positive second thoughts. Good night - hope the air clears soon from all the many Nor Cal wild fires, 'cuz this is horrendous.

you found 2 mocks out of several that had him go to GS and that ends the discussion? yet you are complaining that we based our assessment on several mocks that have him go later in the round. :rolleyes:
I think, steelevt, that the point here is that the Kings wanted that best big after Bayless disappeared from the board. They may have wanted the best big anyway, even if Bayless or Augustin was still around. I know that's what I wanted (and hoping for re-signing Beno in coming weeks).

If that is the case, and you know there is some interest by the guys picking two behind you, but you do not know how much, do you trade down to get what could very well turn out to be a lesser player (per your own analysis) plus some pocket change (like a current or future second rounder)?

All I am saying is that it was nowhere near obvious that Thompson would have fallen past #14. Opinions rendered here merely followed the majority of mocks, but the underlying root of the trade down comments was really -- "WTF? Who is this guy?"

Last edited:
lol...
Kings are getting a massive F in this pick on ESPN... 50%!
Hope everyone is looking forward to another year of **** basketball only to win just enough games to get another draft pick like this. Pathetic.

It's easy to say the guy from the small school who overachieved, is a bust (especially at #12), that's why the media says it. It's the safe choice. Because each year, less than half of all players drafted actually become rotation players, around 25 out of the 60 drafted. Other than Douby our #1 picks have been starters or rotation players. And not just on our team, but on teams they were traded to as well (J-Will, Peja, Hedo, Gerald Wallace, Corliss, Abdul-Wahad all starters or key reserves on their new teams). Not to mention our own Martin, Frisco and now Hawes are all rotation players, (one a on-the-fringe all-star, one a newly discovered clutch shooter and productive bench player, and one a big man with a sweet post game at the age of 19). Meanwhile more than half of the draftees every year vanish to the D-League, Euro League or to Home Depot or whatever.

Petrie has a history of drafting productive players, who eventually have decent trade value. Whoever gave us that F, must be one of the same "geniuses" who swore LA was gonna win it all.

Petrie has a history of drafting productive players, who eventually have decent trade value. Whoever gave us that F, must be one of the same "geniuses" who swore LA was gonna win it all.
Agreed.

I think that Douby is going to turn out to be the only real bust that Geoff picked in the first round. I have not agreed with all of Geoff's picks over the years, including Douby and I was also a fan of Al Thornton (1st team All-Rookie) in last year's draft over Hawes. But Geoff does tend to pick solid players.

We can always armchair draft after the fact and find someone better that gets missed, but this is an incredibly complex, diffiicult task of finding the best player. And remember, it's not JUST Geoff...it's also Wayne Cooper, Jerry Reynolds, and the entire Kings scouting staff feeding into this process.

Tariq Abdul Wahad?
Tariq was a solid starter for our '99 playoff team averaging just under 10 ppg and relatively excelling on defense. Plus, trading him to Orlando nabbed us Nick Anderson, who in turn, packaged with J-Will, nabbed us Bibby.

If only all our "busts" were like Tariq.

After settling down for awhile after getting home from class, and watching it on tivo, i was pretty pissed we did not get Jarryd Bayless. I was actually thought he could get past number 11! After I heard the Pacers picked him up, I thought we were going to select Arthur 100%. When I heard Jason Thompson, I was shocked!
After thinking it over, yes we do need a point guard, but im glad the type of big man Geoff took. He is athletic, can rebound, and is a legit 6'11 PF. I am SO HAPPY we did not go for a 6'8 6'9 PF. Thank you for all the people registering on here to give us some in-sight on how he plays at Rider, since sacramento could'nt see him often! I would give this draft a B, just because you actually have to wait and see how he fits.

Hmm. Unless we clear some minutes for him real fast, he won't be seeing much time. There are at least three big men (Brad, Miki, Hawes) ahead of him, and possibly Sheldon. Not to talk of Reef, who if he comes back recovered, we might want to showcase a bit.
Nah.. I don't agree.. We played Artest a LOT at PF last year just because we didn't have anyone capable. Plus we gave Mikki WAY too many minutes for how talented he is. There are 96 minutes to give to four players.. 30 for Brad, 25-30 for Hawes, 25-30 for Thompson, and 15-20 for Moore. Also, I don't think Reef, or KT will be seeing any playing time this year.. not even in garbage time because of Hawes/Thompson needing to get some PT.

Tariq was a solid starter for our '99 playoff team averaging just under 10 ppg and relatively excelling on defense. Plus, trading him to Orlando nabbed us Nick Anderson, who in turn, packaged with J-Will, nabbed us Bibby.

If only all our "busts" were like Tariq.
Tariq was terrible for us, if you don't consider him a bust I question your mental state.

Tariq was terrible for us, if you don't consider him a bust I question your mental state.
OK Rorschach, care to back that up with anything more than insults?

Because I clearly and politely pointed out why calling a second-year, 10 ppg, defensive-minded starting SG on a playoff team a bust is not only narrow-minded, but inaccurate.

And now I'll add this: he was picked 11th overall in a draft that had Tim Duncan (1), Chauncy Billups (3), Tracy McGrady (9) (all already off the board by the Kings' pick) and not much else. My God, Keith Van Horn was the second pick overall that year.

And the best players picked after Tariq were Derek Anderson (13), Brevin Knight (16), Bobby Jackson (23) and the mid-second round steal Stephen Jackson (43) ... and that's it, really slim pickens.

And besides, he was with the Kings for two years, the first of which he played behind Mitch and the second he started and contributed on a playoff team before eventually being turned into Mike Bibby by proxy.

A bust is a player you get little to no value for and is made worse by the level of expectations attached. Pervis Ellison was a bust. Joe Klein was a bust. Bobby Hurley (apologies for the car accident) was a bust.

We got value both on the court and on the trading block for Abdul-Wahad.

Now, come back with some empirical evidence or is my mental capacity too deficient to decipher your complex talent calculations formula?

Tariq is an interesting case. After reviewing all of his stats I would call him a bust. However, to diminish the impact of injuries on his career is not fair either.
I think he was probably the last scoring option on a team of J-Will, Corliss, Webb, and Vlade. The key here is in his 2nd year he started all 49 games (lockout shortened season). And the following year started in 46 of 46 games for Orlando. So to be considered a starter in one's 2nd and 3rd years (for two different teams) says a lot in my book.

Even with the talent on the Kings he did average nearly 10 points, mostly on hustle and being the recipient of J-Will alley-oops and Webbs and Vlades passes to him cutting, because if I recall correctly his jumper was suspect. He once grabbed 17 rebounds against the Nets. We freaked out when Brad grabbed 20 and this guy was a tweener SG/SF. The injuries did cut his career short, so I wouldn't necessarily call him a bust.

(w/Orlando): Scored in double figures 30 times, including four games of 20+ ... Scored a season-high 23 points at Toronto on 1/12 ... Grabbed a season-high 17 rebounds at New Jersey on 12/30 ... Started all 46 games for the Magic ... Led (or tied) the Magic in scoring 10 times and led (or tied) the team in rebounding eight times - from http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tariq_abdul-wahad/bio.html

I like the pick. In fact I mad a mention of possibly picking Jason Thompson in the draft thread. He just looked like a Petrie type pick for me. A small school star, athletic with good length offensive game and on top of that he is a good rebounder and a shot blocker.

After the first 11 picks it was pretty much a crap shoot with every pick having some question marks. The only question mark on Thompson was that he was from a low ranked school.

Petrie more often than not gets a good player from his first pick. Hopefully Jason Thompson is another one in line and he complement Hawes nicely IMHO. Time will tell but I am reasonably happy with the pick for now.

OK Rorschach, care to back that up with anything more than insults?

Because I clearly and politely pointed out why calling a second-year, 10 ppg, defensive-minded starting SG on a playoff team a bust is not only narrow-minded, but inaccurate.

And now I'll add this: he was picked 11th overall in a draft that had Tim Duncan (1), Chauncy Billups (3), Tracy McGrady (9) (all already off the board by the Kings' pick) and not much else. My God, Keith Van Horn was the second pick overall that year.

And the best players picked after Tariq were Derek Anderson (13), Brevin Knight (16), Bobby Jackson (23) and the mid-second round steal Stephen Jackson (43) ... and that's it, really slim pickens.

And besides, he was with the Kings for two years, the first of which he played behind Mitch and the second he started and contributed on a playoff team before eventually being turned into Mike Bibby by proxy.

A bust is a player you get little to no value for and is made worse by the level of expectations attached. Pervis Ellison was a bust. Joe Klein was a bust. Bobby Hurley (apologies for the car accident) was a bust.

We got value both on the court and on the trading block for Abdul-Wahad.

Now, come back with some empirical evidence or is my mental capacity too deficient to decipher your complex talent calculations formula?
I don't think you understand math.

Pervis Ellison and Joe Klein both put up better career numbers then Tariq. Both Klein and Ellison had more points, rebounds, and assists then Tariq over their careers. So how are they busts and Tariq isn't? Just because Tariq had 1 so-so year for us and then got traded AS FILLER for another player that was also filler as part of a bigger trade doesn't make him not a bust.

If all it takes in your opinion to not be a bust is to be included in a good deal as filler then I seriously question your judgement.

You are honestly not worth my effort. Anyone that watches and understands the NBA knows he was a bust, just because you have a man-crush on him for some reason it doesn't mean he wasn't a bust. I won't be commenting on, nor reading anymore of this thread so save me your response.

Last edited:
Douby stinks. Hawes hasn't proved anything. I have become sick of seeing Garcia never seeing a shot he didn't like. Martin finally worked out but he was horrible for several years. Just don't see us doing anything for years to come. Average at best. And that's a long shot.
I just want to say one thing. Petrie has a good track record on draft picks. Douby has not been able to prove himself due to the log jam of guards. Hawes as a started posted 12 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast 1.5 blks, shot 49%. That is pretty good for a rookie. Garcia is a hard worker and a good role player and Martin wasn't horrible. He never played and produced immediatly after he was inserted into the starting lineup.

I won't even get into the success of Jason Williams, Turkoglu, Peja and Gerald Wallace who have all produced for there respected teams.

Petrie is a great GM who has already built 2 championship caliber teams in Sacramento and Portland. I think he knows what he's doing.

Joe Klien was definitely a bust, but in the pre-internet days the pick was viewed favorably around town. True, most Kings "fans" had never watched basketball before the Kings moved to town.

This happens every year. Give Thompson a chance, then make the call. I was there when the fans booed the Peja pick. I still think Thompson was a safe pick.