Jason Thompson

How do you grade the pick of Jason Thompson?

• Total voters

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You guys act like we were going to be able to select a future HOF with the 12th pick! Please, tell me who YOU would have picked at the 12 that is better than Thompson? The guy put up incredible numbers , albiet in a weak conference...but I somehow remember how a particular SG of ours had the same criticism.

I hear some people wanting Jordan, or Lopez or ( insert any other stiff here). Are you kidding me? Some of you are too much in love with guys that can only dunk. Have you not been watching the NBA? You also needs skills, to become a good NBA player. And I think this kid has skills...and still more room to grow - he's still young!
My dissapointment is less with the pick, more with that fact that the Kings picked at #12, something that they had a great deal to do with by not blowing up this sucker. Second, Petrie has an allergy to making a deal on draft day to move up or get a second #1. He's a plodder.

the patrick ewing jr pick was all strategy. His dad is gonna start coming to the games now and eventually hes gonna teach hawes and thompson how to play. i like the pick.
Ewing SR. is going to start coming to Kings games instead of being an assistant coach with the Knicks (rumor)? I doubt it.

I know nothing about Jason Thompson nor have I seen any of his games. But from what I have read, he sounds like the ideal Kings player and a darkhorse, as some have said here. A big guy with post moves and can pass? Couldn't ask for anything better.

Don't crucify me for this, but when I watch the JThompson videos, his mannerisms, moves, body type, and way he shoots the ball remind me of someone quite a bit:

C-Webb

Well, at least we will have something interesting to watch this season.

Thompson may be just what the Kings need.

I can't believe that some people are bashing Spencer. He is just a baby. IMO, he will be one of the best centers in the League within three years. I don't think he is inherently "soft". In fact, he has an attitude and hates to lose. He will mature, put on muscle, and become a real factor.

Plus, compared to Brad, he seems to be smarter and more articulate, and doesn't pout as often. At least the post-game interviews will be better.

Well, at least we will have something interesting to watch this season.

Thompson may be just what the Kings need.

I can't believe that some people are bashing Spencer. He is just a baby. IMO, he will be one of the best centers in the League within three years. I don't think he is inherently "soft". In fact, he has an attitude and hates to lose. He will mature, put on muscle, and become a real factor.

Plus, compared to Brad, he seems to be smarter and more articulate, and doesn't pout as often. At least the post-game interviews will be better.
the fact that spencer is only 19 and had a growth spurt when he was playing guard in HS and stuff.. the fact that he already has a more polished post move than brad and he has that shooting and passing already i think we are demeaning his talents with comparing him to brad.. i have NEVER seen brad move the way hawes does.. his post moves are one of the best ive seen so far for a rookie :p if he can learn that dream shake hakeem used to do id say he will be great :p he has ways ahead of him though

for thompson show em why your number 12 :D sure hope he can turn into an al jefferson type of player

And Rock, don't give me that "How do you know Petrie's not trying" crap. That's a cop-out. He needs to try harder. We had our point guard of the future in Daniel Gibson when the Cavs offered him and Gooden for Bibby. Instead, Petrie got scared and waited until we got basically nothing for him. Thats just one example. I'm just saying It would be nice to see him rebuild this team before I die.
smoking some hoo hoo with that daniel gibson PG of the future crap. i haven't seen him do ANYTHING except perch on the 3 pt line waiting for freebies from lebron. if we were serious about landing a PG of the future we would've moved alot of our vets last summer and try to land the 1st pick which turned out to be rose.

the fact that spencer is only 19 and had a growth spurt when he was playing guard in HS and stuff.. the fact that he already has a more polished post move than brad and he has that shooting and passing already i think we are demeaning his talents with comparing him to brad.. i have NEVER seen brad move the way hawes does.. his post moves are one of the best ive seen so far for a rookie :p if he can learn that dream shake hakeem used to do id say he will be great :p he has ways ahead of him though

for thompson show em why your number 12 :D sure hope he can turn into an al jefferson type of player
At the end of last season, Spencer told an interviewer that he would learn how to do Kareem's famous "sky hook" this summer. I tend to believe him. He is a focused kid. No dummy. I'll bet he doesn't ride around on little ORVs.

Wow... but then agian Petrie's picks have been pretty good last couple of years, K-Martin, Garcia and Hawes... not going to doubt him now... hell we cant doubt him now lol.

S

sactownfan

here a funny quote from nba.com's draft blog....

"The Kings are on the clock: Jason Thompson from Rider. Wow! There goes Geoff Petrie, exploding our expectations once again."

"Geoff Petrie is smarter than all of us. He has to be."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...26/firstround.observations/index.html?eref=T1

THE KINGS REACHED...

NEW YORK -- Some observations from a first round that had few big trades and one player on site who kept waiting and waiting and waiting:

Geoff Petrie is smarter than all of us. He has to be. Why else would the Kings' president select a player with the 12th overall pick (Rider power forward Jason Thompson) who was rated in most mock drafts in the mid-20s? A quick glance at Thompson's collegiate career is telling. He averaged 20.4 points and 12.4 rebounds, but was never really dominant against the weaker MAAC competition. This was the biggest surprise of the first round.

Attachments

Entity

Hall of Famer
amick reporting that when Jason came to Sacto that he and C-webb spent time together and he even ate and C-webbs restaurant with him. Is C-webb a coach for us now or what?

I don't know why people (the guys on ESPN) keep saying he's a project. He's about as NBA ready as anyone in the draft. 22 years old, and a 3 year starter at Rider. He actually didn't do that bad against the good competition Rider played this year.

I think we will be seeing Thompson getting decent minutes real fast. I wouldn't be surprised is at the end of the year he's listed as one of the best rookies.

well if he develops that shot blocking and rebounding im happy :p so who starts now? shelden? mikki? KT? or SAR? either way 2 of those guys got to go.... who is it?

well if he develops that shot blocking and rebounding im happy :p so who starts now? shelden? mikki? KT? or SAR? either way 2 of those guys got to go.... who is it?

Probably still Mikki with Thompson getting bench minutes with Hawes.

I am seriously loving this combo...

Hawes/Thompson/Garcia/Martin/Beno (if he re-signs)

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think Petrie passed on Randolph to make the safe pick with Thompson...Who in the very least should pan out to be a good bench big, and considering our current crop of PFs might be starting in a season or two.

Randolph could be an amazing player...But he has a huge chance to bust.
I kinda wanted Speights myself, but he could bust too just because of his attitude/effort.

To be honest I think I'd be more excited with a swing for the fences type of pick. But still...I cant be mad about us getting a guy who averaged 20/12/2.7 weak conference or no

I don't know why people (the guys on ESPN) keep saying he's a project. He's about as NBA ready as anyone in the draft. 22 years old, and a 3 year starter at Rider. He actually didn't do that bad against the good competition Rider played this year.

I think we will be seeing Thompson getting decent minutes real fast. I wouldn't be surprised is at the end of the year he's listed as one of the best rookies.
Hmm. Unless we clear some minutes for him real fast, he won't be seeing much time. There are at least three big men (Brad, Miki, Hawes) ahead of him, and possibly Sheldon. Not to talk of Reef, who if he comes back recovered, we might want to showcase a bit.

Theus Speaks!

Sacramento pulled a surprise at No. 12 with Rider forward Jason Thompson, the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference player of the year and the first senior taken.
"He was the best big guy we worked out,'' Sacramento Kings coach Reggie Theus told ESPN.com Thursday night. Theus said the Kings worked out Thompson three times, twice in Sacramento and once at a group workout at the Golden State workout facility and said the Kings felt safe Thompson would be available at No. 12.
"His ability to be versatile, and help us around the basket was important and this guy can score around the basket and step out with his size,"' Theus said. "In our opinion for what we need, he was the best big on the floor."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3462594