Jason Thompson

How do you grade the pick of Jason Thompson?

• Total voters
Nah.. I don't agree.. We played Artest a LOT at PF last year just because we didn't have anyone capable. Plus we gave Mikki WAY too many minutes for how talented he is. There are 96 minutes to give to four players.. 30 for Brad, 25-30 for Hawes, 25-30 for Thompson, and 15-20 for Moore. Also, I don't think Reef, or KT will be seeing any playing time this year.. not even in garbage time because of Hawes/Thompson needing to get some PT.
Guess I disagree on this. Brad played about 35 minutes per game last season, while Miki was closer to 30. Given that we would like to see Hawes getting around 30 minutes too, that doesn't leave out a lot for Thompson.

Also, if any of these guys lose any minutes, some of them at least shall likely go to Sheldon (don't we have to make a decision about him by the end of this year? If so, we need to play him to see what we have).

And, while the fans don't want it, I wouldn't be surprised if we play Reef some minutes, assuming he comes back recovered. He is not in our plans, but if Geoff feels there is a market for him, it shall make sense to showcase him a bit.

I don't think you understand math.

Pervis Ellison and Joe Klein both put up better career numbers then Tariq. Both Klein and Ellison had more points, rebounds, and assists then Tariq over their careers. So how are they busts and Tariq isn't? Just because Tariq had 1 so-so year for us and then got traded AS FILLER for another player that was also filler as part of a bigger trade doesn't make him not a bust.

If all it takes in your opinion to not be a bust is to be included in a good deal as filler then I seriously question your judgement.

You are honestly not worth my effort. Anyone that watches and understands the NBA knows he was a bust, just because you have a man-crush on him for some reason it doesn't mean he wasn't a bust. I won't be commenting on, nor reading anymore of this thread so save me your response.
All right, I mishandled that. What I should have done was simply said "Hey man, lay off the insults" and then tied the discussion back to this thread.

Because there are some similarities between the Abdul-Wahad and Thompson picks. Both late lottery (11th and 12th pick respectively) surprise picks from smaller schools.

Let's say Thompson's career with the Kings mirrors that of Abdul-Wahad's: Back-up to Miller and Moore for his first season, steps into a starting role his second (let's give him Joe Klein's best season numbers at 9.8 points, 7.1 rebounds and 1.1 assists) in which the Kings make the playoffs, then is traded in a deal that is a precursor to one that eventually lands us a borderline all-star big man.

Given that option now, would you all take that, or are you expecting a lot more from him?

Hey, if Thompson can give us the same energy that Brian Grant gave us before he left, that's fine with me...we dont need a FRANCHISE PF like a Webber(not to say that it wouldnt be good)but we dont NEED one, IMO we will be just fine with consistency...like a young Grant or Antonio Davis. Hawes, Miller, Artest, Martin, and whoever at PG...with Cisco, Thompson, Sheldon, Salmons, and whoever else off the bench...eh, not flashy, but hopefully lots of hustle and continual positive growth as a team. BUT, we need a PG for sure, I know that much...even IF Beno stays, we still need someone.

Hey, if Thompson can give us the same energy that Brian Grant gave us before he left, that's fine with me...we dont need a FRANCHISE PF like a Webber(not to say that it wouldnt be good)but we dont NEED one, IMO we will be just fine with consistency...like a young Grant or Antonio Davis.
I can get behind that. At 12 I don't really think "Franchise" player was an option anyway. If Thompson can be another Grant, I think it'll justify the pick.

Douby has not been able to prove himself due to the log jam of guards.
what? If i remember right douby was even starting a few games when Bibby was hurt and displayed his glaring weaknesses. The guy cant distribute the ball, he takes bad shots, over dribbles and is not even a good defender. Its not that he is not getting the Min's because we have to many guards. Why do you think we acquired beno, Anthony Johnson and even drafted two points this draft?

And the argument that Douby is not a point guard is mute because he is not a shooting guard either. He is a D leaguer.

But back on topic about Thompson let him go to work first but i still think another pick would have been a better choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, now that I am done shouting profanities...I am so frustrated with Petrie. He shows "guts" in grabbing a guy he could have had 10 picks later. Even if GS takes him at 14, this mid-major player doesnt deserve the reach.

As I see it, this last year was a year of sucking, so we could pick a guy we could have had as a playoff team.

I guess I would rather go back to cussing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow, deja vu all over again. I recall a lot of chest-pounding and angst about another guy who came from a small school a few years ago and how unwilling most of you were to even think about giving him a chance.

The name Kevin Martin ring any bells with any of you?

Give Jason a chance. Let him show you what he can do. We wanted an inside presence and we got it. It wasn't that much of a reach when you look at what went afterwards.

Petrie DID show guts in grabbing Thompson at the 12. He also showed that he's really interested in him and thinks he'll fit our needs. Isn't that what we wanted? Had Bayless been there, of course we would have grabbed him but he wasn't. Our next pick was #42 so to act as though we could have gotten Thompson later is just silly.

Trading down is always dangerous because if you guess wrong you've lost your trade bait AND the guy you wanted to grab.

Again, all I ask is that some of you give Thompson a chance.

Wow, deja vu all over again. I recall a lot of chest-pounding and angst about another guy who came from a small school a few years ago and how unwilling most of you were to even think about giving him a chance.

The name Kevin Martin ring any bells with any of you?

Give Jason a chance. Let him show you what he can do. We wanted an inside presence and we got it. It wasn't that much of a reach when you look at what went afterwards.

Petrie DID show guts in grabbing Thompson at the 12. He also showed that he's really interested in him and thinks he'll fit our needs. Isn't that what we wanted? Had Bayless been there, of course we would have grabbed him but he wasn't. Our next pick was #42 so to act as though we could have gotten Thompson later is just silly.

Trading down is always dangerous because if you guess wrong you've lost your trade bait AND the guy you wanted to grab.

Again, all I ask is that some of you give Thompson a chance.
Huge difference of 12 picks between Kevin and Thompson. This is like comparing apples and oranges.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Only if you choose to look at it that way, which you clearly do.

He addresses our needs probably better than anyone else left on the board at the time, IMHO. I like the pick. You don't. No problem.

Peace.

Theus Speaks!
Sacramento pulled a surprise at No. 12 with Rider forward Jason Thompson, the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference player of the year and the first senior taken.
"He was the best big guy we worked out,'' Sacramento Kings coach Reggie Theus told ESPN.com Thursday night. Theus said the Kings worked out Thompson three times, twice in Sacramento and once at a group workout at the Golden State workout facility and said the Kings felt safe Thompson would be available at No. 12.
"His ability to be versatile, and help us around the basket was important and this guy can score around the basket and step out with his size,"' Theus said. "In our opinion for what we need, he was the best big on the floor."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3462594
that means had Bayless been available @12th pick they would have still picked Jason?
BTW, I like the pick.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
that means had Bayless been available @12th pick they would have still picked Jason?
BTW, I like the pick.
I think they would have grabbed Bayless but figured he wouldn't be available. Had he still been on the board, Bayless would undoubtedly be heading to Sacramento.

Theus said the Kings worked out Thompson three times, twice in Sacramento and once at a group workout at the Golden State workout facility and said the Kings felt safe Thompson would be available at No. 12.
Look at that again. The Kings actually had scouts in Golden State at Thompson's workout. I think the Kings may have snagged Thompson out from under the Warriors, who were reportedly high on him regardless of their post-draft comments about Randolph.

Huge difference of 12 picks between Kevin and Thompson. This is like comparing apples and oranges.
Not in this draft. Most analysis had only two potential star NBA players at the top, with maybe Mayo the third. Next cut below rated talent was around 4-9, with 10-20 or so looking like the next tier. Thompson was not that big of a reach at #12, in fact, maybe not a reach at all. Ewing Jr was a reach, but buried at #43 means nothing since so few of those second round picks ever make an NBA roster anyway.

Only if you choose to look at it that way, which you clearly do.

He addresses our needs probably better than anyone else left on the board at the time, IMHO. I like the pick. You don't. No problem.

Peace.
Peace? Funny, I wasn't fighting, but ok...peace, yo.

Only, here, with the purple tinted glasses have I found anyone who has liked the pick. Anyone. There were folks that thought Martin was a nifty coo by Petrie. At the time of that pick I was indifferent, because when you get to the plus 20 picks it gets infinitely harder to find good solid picks. At 12, there is more at stake. Does it not bug you even a little, that we could have had a playoff team and made this same pick?

I think people should feel free to criticize the choice of the want, but honestly I think the question of "where" a player is picked and the value you get by trading down is overblown. If Kevin Martin had been picked at #12 in 2004, whatever GM picked him that high would have been KILLED by everyone. Just killed. On the other hand, in that draft Kevin Martin would have still been a steal at 2004 and that GM would have looked like a genius.

Ok, so, maybe a team can get another second round pick for moving down or a marginal talent upgrade like Indiana tried for (and failed, in my opinion) when they gave up Bayless and Diogu, got Jack, and moved down for Rush.

But in the end, all people really remember is how good the guy you drafted ended up being.

I mean, in 2006 Portland moved down to #4 to take the better player, LaMarcus Aldridge, who they wanted over Tyrus Thomas at #2. It's what you're "supposed" to do when your guy is slated to go lower. What did they get? They got a 2nd Rounder and gave up Victor Khryapa for the privilege of moving down. Yay.

Last edited:
I'd like to know what some of y'all would rather GP picked instead of Jason Thompson. If there's a better selection out there I sure would like to know who that is.

Arthur? Ajinca? Randolph? Lopez? Rush? Speights?

Are any of the guys left on board who is for sure a better player than Jason Thompson?

S

sactownfan

Eric - NYC: TO DAMAN - I would rather be a Kings fan stuck in NEUTRAL than a Knicks fan stuck in REVERSE!! from the JA chat on ESPN

Peace? Funny, I wasn't fighting, but ok...peace, yo.

Only, here, with the purple tinted glasses have I found anyone who has liked the pick. Anyone. There were folks that thought Martin was a nifty coo by Petrie. At the time of that pick I was indifferent, because when you get to the plus 20 picks it gets infinitely harder to find good solid picks. At 12, there is more at stake. Does it not bug you even a little, that we could have had a playoff team and made this same pick?
Anything labeled "surprising" is usually given a poor mark. If it goes against what the "experts" had predicted they can't sit there and be positive about it because it flies in the face of their analysis. So its about whether or not you think Chad Ford, NBADraft.Net, and DX are better talent evaluators then Geoff Petrie.

Anything labeled "surprising" is usually given a poor mark. If it goes against what the "experts" had predicted they can't sit there and be positive about it because it flies in the face of their analysis. So its about whether or not you think Chad Ford, NBADraft.Net, and DX are better talent evaluators then Geoff Petrie.
Bingo.

It's also still laughable how some are still clinging to the viability of the "trade down" theory to get Jason, when now it is has been widely publicized that Golden State was interested in him at #14 and 2 or 3 pre-draft mocks had them selecting Jason.

Selective memory, I guess...

Moreover, we would not have gotten anything extra worth a squat by moving down several slots from a #12.

Last edited:
And Rock, don't give me that "How do you know Petrie's not trying" crap. That's a cop-out. He needs to try harder. We had our point guard of the future in Daniel Gibson when the Cavs offered him and Gooden for Bibby. Instead, Petrie got scared and waited until we got basically nothing for him. Thats just one example. I'm just saying It would be nice to see him rebuild this team before I die.
Don't give me "that's a cop-out". How do you know he wasn't trying that hard? Oh, I forgot....you were that fly in the wall in his office. Sorry, my bad.