2008 NBA Most Valuable Player

2008 NBA Most Valuable Player

• Total voters
This is the toughest MVP vote in a long time. You can make a case for five guys that could and should win

Kobe Bryant 28.6ppg - 6.3rpg -5.4apg - .494fg
Kevin Garnett 18.9ppg - 9.4rpg - 3.5apg - .537fg
Dwight Howard 2.2ppg - 14.4rpg - 2.3bpg - .595fg
LeBron James 30.4ppg - 8.1rpg - 7.3apg - .484fg
Chris Paul 21.5ppg - 11.4apg - 2.7spg - .494fg

But the stats do not tell the story. The two things I am basing my opinion on is:

Plus/Minus while on the floor (www.82games.com)
Kobe Bryant +10.1
Kevin Garnett +10.9
Dwight Howard +12.0
LeBron James +13.7
Chris Paul +11.2

Plus/Minus Wins from '07 to '08 (as of April 3)
Kobe Bryant +9
Kevin Garnett +36!!!!!
Dwight Howard +7
LeBron James -8
Chris Paul +13

Intangibles
Kobe - addition of Gasol contributes to LA improvement. Lakers 3rd in offense and 6th in defense

Garnett - Boston's Opp FG% has gone from .468 in 07 to .418 (1st-NBA).

Howard - Hedo 13.3ppg in '07 to 19.6ppg in '08 (MIP winner), plus the addition of Lewis probably contributed just as much to Orlando's improvement. Leads league in rebounds

James - Leads team in all major statistical categories

Paul - Candidate for Defensive Player of the Year. Leads the league in steals and assist.

2008 MVP - ????????

Chris Paul....especially if Hornets end up #1 in the West. What CP is doing is just plain sick. I can't consider anyone in the East to win becuse it's NBA Division II right now.

Kobe is a close second.

My MVP ballot would look like this:

1. Chris Paul
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Kevin Garnett
4. Lebron James
5. Baron Davis

Ryan

I like turtles
Chris Paul....especially if Hornets end up #1 in the West. What CP is doing is just plain sick. I can't consider anyone in the East to win becuse it's NBA Division II right now.
My problem is that Chris Paul still has very talented players on his team. If you take away Kobe before Gasol arrived, I don't think anyone could name a player on the Lakers.

With that said, I voted for KG. I don't care what people say about the other players on that team, he has completely restored the most cherished basketball franchise. He's unselfish, he makes his teammates better...and oh yeah, the Celtics now hold the record for biggest change in games won from a previous season.

Who knows. You can make arguments for each player.

My problem is that Chris Paul still has very talented players on his team. If you take away Kobe before Gasol arrived, I don't think anyone could name a player on the Lakers.

With that said, I voted for KG. I don't care what people say about the other players on that team, he has completely restored the most cherished basketball franchise. He's unselfish, he makes his teammates better...and oh yeah, the Celtics now hold the record for biggest change in games won from a previous season.

The reason they are very talented is because they play with Chris Paul. I can't argue with the MVP going to KG, he is an MVP type player. However, you say your problem with Paul is that he has talented players around him. Paul Pierce? Ray Allen? I think the record for biggest change in games won from a previous season is kind of bogus in the sense that it was very evident the Celtics were tanking it last year to try and get Oden/Durant. Fortunately for them Kevin McHale is the GM of the TWolves and the Celtics didnt get a top 3 pick. The Celtics team this year is comletely different this year in personel from the previous year. The Hornets are virtually the same yet they are 13 wins better than last. Like I said, KG is definately worthy, Im just trying to sway you a bit to CP.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
1 has got to be Lebron James. It's not just a matter of statistical dominance, he is everything to that team. He draws double teams so he can get the ball to his teammates, and nobody in the NBA can get an easier shot with the game on the line. Take him away and Cleveland's record plunges into Miami territory.

Chris Paul is something like 1b. I would have no problem with Paul winning MVP because he's almost as important to the Hornets as Lebron is to the Cavs. And his assist numbers and shooting percentages have been ridiculous all season.

KG and Kobe are 3 and 4, but I think they're way behind Lebron and CP in terms of actual importance. Kobe hasn't noticeably stepped up his game this season, his teammates just got better. He also takes a bazillion shots and handles the ball practically the whole game. And while I appreciate everything KG does for Boston, it's debatable whether he's more important than Paul Pierce. Boston's defense didn't get that much better solely because of KG either. That's a whole team effort.

I don't know about your Chris Paul argument; I don't think having "talented" players on your team is much of an excuse, because it's pretty much inevitable that as a championship-contending team, you're going to have talented guys on your team. What I think Chris Paul does, and man has he been consistently great, not just good, but great, this season--is that he amplifies his team's strengths and makes life easier for everyone around him. His assists are the real deal--gets up there in the teens every 3-4 games or so and as a result guys like David West, Chandler and Stojakovic are thriving off of it. And not only that, but he shoots well--crazy decision maker, almost can do no wrong. Has no real flaws. Very cerebral. I can go on a four-page rant on how good Chris Paul is this year, but my point is, CP3 is probably MVP. Best team in the league (currently), always amplifies his teammates, quick hands, catalyst of a good defensive team. He has it all.

KG--I don't know, I mean...I'm under the impression he's just blended in with his teammates. Yeah,he's typical KG in that he acts as the glue-guy for the team, but he's only averaging 18 and 9 this year, although a lot of it has to do with the fact that he has so many talented teammates around him and that they're constantly blowing out the other team so he doesn't have to play much. As much as I like KG, I think the unsung hero on that team is Rajon Rondo--without that guy's ultra defense and his contributions, I don't think Boston would nearly be as successful as it is. I think KG's just waiting to turn it on in the playoffs; I'd hate to say he's in cruise control, because he brings it every game, but this year just seems...eh, dormant. If he does win MVP, it's probably because he's the most significant guy on the team with the most wins in the league, and because his on-court charisma and competitiveness is just so great. I just don't get a good vibe on voting for him.

hrdboild said:
Kobe hasn't noticeably stepped up his game this season, his teammates just got better. He also takes a bazillion shots and handles the ball practically the whole game.
Some things to ponder.

Gooder teammates didn't hurt Steve Nash none. Can't win 50 games without them, 50 wins = MVP threshold.

They all handle the ball the whole game, most of them take a bazillion shots. Kobe takes more shots than CP, but CP is a point guard, Kobe is a shooting guard. The primary function of a 2 guard is to score and that's done by taking shots.

NO's record probably helps Paul a great deal, but they've been healthier than LA by far. Kobe's teammates have gotten better (say Bynum, Ariza, Gasol), but they've all been injured and Gasol only arrived in Feb. LA would easily own the top seed if Bynum alone didn't dislocate his knee. Some mediots probably will consider this, but maybe not. Iffy.

Last edited:
The MVP is Lebron James. Statistical numbers are staggering. You take him off that team and they win 20 games, tops. Cavs are 2-4 without Lebron and 40-29 with. He has the best +/- of all the candidates and he is the best clutch performer according to 82games. See: http://www.82games.com/CSORT11.HTM for the details. The defensive statistics in crunch time are just incredible. Best +/-, Best clutch performer, biggest portion of teams scoring, ridiculous statistical lines, especially since the all-star break. He is the MVP.

Kobe/Paul are 2a and 2b. Garnett is 3. Howard is a distant 4th or 5th along with everyone else.

The MVP is Lebron James. Statistical numbers are staggering. You take him off that team and they win 20 games, tops. Cavs are 2-4 without Lebron and 40-29 with. He has the best +/- of all the candidates and he is the best clutch performer according to 82games. See: http://www.82games.com/CSORT11.HTM for the details. The defensive statistics in crunch time are just incredible. Best +/-, Best clutch performer, biggest portion of teams scoring, ridiculous statistical lines, especially since the all-star break. He is the MVP.

Kobe/Paul are 2a and 2b. Garnett is 3. Howard is a distant 4th or 5th along with everyone else.
You can talk about stats all you want with LeBron and you will have valid points but please don't bring up the Cavs record as any reasons for the MVP. The Cavs play in the EAST. It is terrible. They would be sub .500 with a Western Conference schedule and miss the playoffs. I love LeBron and if I was looking at stats alone I would probably give it to him but the MVP award is not usually just about stats.

You can talk about stats all you want with LeBron and you will have valid points but please don't bring up the Cavs record as any reasons for the MVP. The Cavs play in the EAST. It is terrible. They would be sub .500 with a Western Conference schedule and miss the playoffs. I love LeBron and if I was looking at stats alone I would probably give it to him but the MVP award is not usually just about stats.
Percentage wise, the Cavs record against the West is virtually the same as that against the East.

Also, the stats aren't everything, but leading in +/- and clutch performance statistics shows you just how valuable he is.

Also, find me a guy in the last 20 years that averaged 30/7/7 and didnt win the MVP award. If you do happen to find one or two, tell me who won that year.

Over 30/7/7 while shooting near 50% is incredible.

If stats were the major factor in the MVP race Kobe would have had won two years ago.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Some things to ponder.

Gooder teammates didn't hurt Steve Nash none. Can't win 50 games without them, 50 wins = MVP threshold.

They all handle the ball the whole game, most of them take a bazillion shots. Kobe takes more shots than CP, but CP is a point guard, Kobe is a shooting guard. The primary function of a 2 guard is to score and that's done by taking shots.

NO's record probably helps Paul a great deal, but they've been healthier than LA by far. Kobe's teammates have gotten better (say Bynum, Ariza, Gasol), but they've all been injured and Gasol only arrived in Feb. LA would easily own the top seed if Bynum alone didn't dislocate his knee. Some mediots probably will consider this, but maybe not. Iffy.
Kobe isolating with the ball and then taking on three or four defenders with a fade away jump shot or 360 reverse layup is not efficient offense. You can't convince me he's the best player in the game so long as he continues to act like he's playing a game of 1-on-1 regardless of who his teammates are. Lebron may take just as many shots as Kobe, but he at least has the good sense to make the majority of them high percentage shots and pass the ball when his teammates are open.

Kobe isolating with the ball and then taking on three or four defenders with a fade away jump shot or 360 reverse layup is not efficient offense. You can't convince me he's the best player in the game so long as he continues to act like he's playing a game of 1-on-1 regardless of who his teammates are. Lebron may take just as many shots as Kobe, but he at least has the good sense to make the majority of them high percentage shots and pass the ball when his teammates are open.
In fairness, that assessment is a bit exaggerated or at best an interpretation of his game that was more accurate the last couple years when he had Smush/Kwame. I'm not a fan of certain ultra-hard shots he sometimes takes or when he strays from the offense in either direction, but he doesn't have 3/4 guys on him on the perimeter. Four is not even possible.

To say that Kobe won't pass the ball to open teammates, now that is an exaggeration and a long standing one. Bynum, Odom, and Gasol wouldn't have found a niche in the system if he were ballhogging to that extreme.

Bryant has got record and stats on his side (and other intangibles). Paul also has both, but KG is missing the stats and Bron is missing the record.

KG--I don't know, I mean...I'm under the impression he's just blended in with his teammates. Yeah,he's typical KG in that he acts as the glue-guy for the team, but he's only averaging 18 and 9 this year, although a lot of it has to do with the fact that he has so many talented teammates around him and that they're constantly blowing out the other team so he doesn't have to play much. As much as I like KG, I think the unsung hero on that team is Rajon Rondo--without that guy's ultra defense and his contributions, I don't think Boston would nearly be as successful as it is. I think KG's just waiting to turn it on in the playoffs; I'd hate to say he's in cruise control, because he brings it every game, but this year just seems...eh, dormant. If he does win MVP, it's probably because he's the most significant guy on the team with the most wins in the league, and because his on-court charisma and competitiveness is just so great. I just don't get a good vibe on voting for him.
I disagree. The MVP should be about who affects the most wins. KG has brought a defensive mindset to the Celtics in that IMO has affected the most wins in the NBA. KG does not have to put up points to get his team to the finals, the intangibles that do not show up on the stat sheet are what makes KG a great player.

Last edited:
The MVP is so close I need to wait until the final games of this season are played to cast my vote. Interesting that the Lakers play the Kings in their season finale. Maybe following that possibly very important game for LA I'll then know who deserves the award.

Ryan

I like turtles
I don't know about your Chris Paul argument; I don't think having "talented" players on your team is much of an excuse, because it's pretty much inevitable that as a championship-contending team, you're going to have talented guys on your team.
Really? Let's look at the Lakers star players (before Gasol) and without Kobe. Fisher, Lamar, Walton, Mihm, Kwame (before he was traded). You're telling me that's a championship-contending team?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
My choice would be Chris Paul. It is not necessarily who I think will win it, but he is the one I would choose.

I had to begrudgingly vote for Bean, especially after the Lakers last two wins over the other two of the top three in the West. Completely demolished the Spurs in the second half yesterday, and outclassed the Hornets in the first half Friday night, even though they blew a 30 point lead in the second half. Still, they won, grabbed first place, and have a chance to clinch the West (against us, no less), this week.

Kobe has arguably been deserving the past two seasons, and he didn't receive it because his team struggled to finish .500. This season, in a deep and dangerous Western conference, they win 55+ games and finish first in the West, and there's no reason he shouldn't get it.

That having been said, I would love to see Chris Paul get it, and I think if he had come out and set the record straight on Friday night by out playing Kobe and beating the Lakers to grab the top seed, he might actually get it. But I think this is the year Kobe finally gets it.

Kobe, every day of the week. There can be cases made for alot of players, particularly Kobe and CP3, but I think it has to go to Kobe. He's carried them the last few seasons and probably should already have an MVP. Regardless, I'm still basing it on this year. Kobe should be MVP. Just my unbiased opinion.
But with the way the L looks on Kobe, I'm betting Paul will get it.

I stand by my opinion that we made a huge contribution to Kobe Bryant's chances this weekend.
wow you just can't stop can you?? Did you not know that the hornets lost to the lakers the night before when it was a first of a back to back?? They put the lakers in first not us. I hate Kobe more than anybody and ishes cp3 would get the MVP bit all that was lost on Friday night not on Saturday night!

In all conscience I had to go with Kevin Garnett. Somehow I think that the MVP has to be chosen for the current year, and not past years. Bryant was more worthy in other years, not this. Tough to not want to vote Chris Paul. I think he has fallen down on the job a bit the last few games.

In all conscience I had to go with Kevin Garnett. Somehow I think that the MVP has to be chosen for the current year, and not past years. Bryant was more worthy in other years, not this. Tough to not want to vote Chris Paul. I think he has fallen down on the job a bit the last few games.
Statistically Garnett has not had as good a year this season as he did last year with Minnesota. Even best case it's virtually the same since he played an average of about 5 mins fewer per game with Boston.

Before voting I said earlier I'd wait until all 82 games were played and up until a week ago I was leaning to Paul, but now I guess I'm leaning to Bryant. I guess I'll cast my vote tomorrow night.

Yes, it is certainly a tough choice. I have given more weight to total impact on the team records - last year -vs- this year.

If we can trip LA up tonight maybe Kobe won't get it - seems the press has anointed him by now.