Bibby headed to Atlanta

I pulled out an old video to refresh myself on Anthony Johnson. I honestly haven't seen him play since the last time he was on the Kings. Here's what I saw from a 10-year old game against Boston:

He's not particularly athletic or active. But he did take it to Ty Edney strong, and he only shot when open. He's got real long arms. He seemed to let our 2 and 3 (Mitch and Billy O) handle to ball a fair amount. I also noticed he tried to dump it inside to Yogi Stewart and Corliss a few times.

Kinda funny, but Anthony Johnson "bookends" the Kings Wunder Years. He was a solid starter on the last team (97-98) before the rebirth, and he will be playing as this team heads in the opposite direction.

Welcome back Anthony Johnson! What have you been up to the last ten years?

P

PoundForPound

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just so disappointed right now, I do not know what to say. This deal is complete and total bull****. GP is officially crazy.Mike Bibby was the only one on this team who has played with heart, passion, and desire over the years. All of the bad times have been put on his shoulders unfairly. :mad:

I am NO LONGER a fan of the Sacramento Kings.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just so disappointed right now, I do not know what to say. This deal is complete and total bull****. GP is officially crazy.Mike Bibby was the only one on this team who has played with heart, passion, and desire over the years. All of the bad times have been put on his shoulders unfairly. :mad:

dont let the door hit you on the way out

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Buh-bye.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Surprised to see Justin cut.

Why keep Wright? We let him go the last time he was here (camp fodder). Is he better than Justin? Or is his contract more beneficial in a trade?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
What it means is that now, after the season we have money freed up to use for free-agency.

So in theory the trade for the future is

Bibby for Williams + whoever we use the money gained from the exp. contracts.
I don't think it gives us any significant salary cap space to go after a free agent but it does prevent us from going over the luxury tax limit which was going to happen when Martin's new salary kicked in next year.

sorry to hear that. But when my favourite player on the Kings was traded I was/is still a Kings fan reguardless who comes and goes. It is the Kings I love most of all not the player.

Geoff Petrie should get arrested right now because he just STOLE Sheldon Williams from the Atlanta Hawks!!!:D Dude will make ALOT of people love this trade in a hurry, and forget about the fact that we cut a hustle guy in Justin to make room. He is a defensive BEAST!!(ala the GOOD Ben Wallace) Oh, AND Petrie got us 3 expirings in this trade too?!?! Ladies and gentleman, Geoff Petrie The Genius has returned!!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Oh Ok, I see. Yeah I understand we have to get down to 15 or below, I just didn't understand the cut being different than a buy out. So kenny and Brad are there through 09-10? Every sports show they say the end of next season, and I could have sworn it was through 09-10.
Here's a useful web site to book mark

http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/07-08salaries.htm

In a discussion a few weeks ago, the opinion was that we couldn't have more than 15 on our roster at any time meaning we have to unload two of our players before the trade is consummated or simply unload two of the players we traded for much as the Timberwolves did with Udrih.

Waivers, buy outs, and the like are discussed here http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Geoff Petrie should get arrested right now because he just STOLE Sheldon Williams from the Atlanta Hawks!!!:D Dude will make ALOT of people love this trade in a hurry, and forget about the fact that we cut a hustle guy in Justin to make room. He is a defensive BEAST!!(ala the GOOD Ben Wallace) Oh, AND Petrie got us 3 expirings in this trade too?!?! Ladies and gentleman, Geoff Petrie The Genius has returned!!
Woah bro! It's puff puff GIVE not puff puff puff puff puff. :p

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Okay, before we get too far afield here, "dude" is averaging 3pts and 3rebs on 35% shooting this year in his secodn year after a disappointing rookie cmapaign. We'll see, but this ain't college anymore.

Word is that Justin and Dahntay are being cut to make room for the new players from the Bibby trade.
In order to keep some 32-33 year old scrubs who expire in a few months?

For a moment, I thought this was going to be the beginning of a rebuild. Now it just looks like a way to cut the Maloofs' losses on ticket sales.

Pathetic.

Woah bro! It's puff puff GIVE not puff puff puff puff puff. :p
I know this isnt college anymore, and I know he bad a disppointing rookie season, but I think it will be Atlanta who is regretting this in a couple years when Bibby has either gone elsewhere or is on the decline in his career. Please re-visit this thread in a couple years, because this will go down as one of Petrie's 'steals', just like the trade of Richmond for Webber. I have incredible confidence that Williams will succeed here in Sacramento, and the fact he didnt succeed in Atlanta was due to the Hawks being mismanaged and his immaturity then.

Cool, we may end up trading that pick as a part of another trade anyway, though.
At first I was luke-warm on what we got for Bibby from Atlanta even though I was in favor of trading him. With confirmation a 2nd round pick was also obtained in the deal besides the four bodies I feel better. Stockpiling this pick and dangling it out there as part of a trade involving Artest, K9 - GREAT!

At first I was luke-warm on what we got for Bibby from Atlanta even though I was in favor of trading him. With confirmation a 2nd round pick was also obtained in the deal besides the four bodies I feel better. Stockpiling this pick and dangling it out there as part of a trade involving Artest, K9 - GREAT!
Yup, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. When its all said and done, next year we'll have Sheldon Williams and his only $3.5 million on our books from this deal, and even if that 'experiment' doesnt work out with him(which I think it WILL), but if it doesnt, we can release him after next season, anyway.

Yup, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. When its all said and done, next year we'll have Sheldon Williams and his only $3.5 million on our books from this deal, and even if that 'experiment' doesnt work out with him(which I think it WILL), but if it doesnt, we can release him after next season, anyway.
I'm all smiles:) Sheldon moves immediately up to PF backup behind Mikki. Yes, Hawes is in the mix too. Obviously, forget K9 and SAR. No question Sheldon has the potential to supplant Mikki as starter or nearly equal his minutes. If Artest goes this season then Sheldon will possibly see some time at SF behind John Salmons.

S

sactownfan

Can someone with the espn insider please paste the Hollinger article about the trade on this thread...

I'm all smiles:) Sheldon moves immediately up to PF backup behind Mikki. Yes, Hawes is in the mix too. Obviously, forget K9 and SAR. No question Sheldon has the potential to supplant Mikki as starter or nearly equal his minutes. If Artest goes this season then Sheldon will possibly see some time at SF behind John Salmons.
Sheldon will surprise alot of people with the way he has a knack for rebounding on the offensive end, and I think that's what I am most happy about. He loves to get offensive rebounds...just ask JJ Reddick about that.;) I dont see him playing SF at all though, he's not quick enough for that, never will be, I dont think.