Bibby headed to Atlanta

Alright, I've always been confused about expirings and stuff. So, 3 of the 4 Hawks are expirings. That means that after this year they will not be on our team unless we resign them. Correct? So there is no reason to get hyped up if they do real good except for sheldon williams. I think that's right

What it means is that now, after the season we have money freed up to use for free-agency.

So in theory the trade for the future is

Bibby for Williams + whoever we use the money gained from the exp. contracts.

do You have any evidence that this was offered because I seriously doubt it ?
I would say the equivalent offer the cavs would make would be Damon Jones, Eric Snow, Ira Newble, and Cedric Simmons. Although Snow and Jones expire next year. I could easily see the cavs throwing in their first round pick though. I would love to know what they were offering, I can't imagine they weren't trying to get in on that deal. Maybe Petrie has really convinced himself he can have cap space this offseason, I don't believe that until I see it.

we can, but for this trade I hope we don't. I really don't wany any of these guys after this trade. I also wouldn't be suprised to see Lue moved again in another deal like a previous poster said. Boston and Dallas were rumored to be going after him earlier this year.

I would say the equivalent offer the cavs would make would be Damon Jones, Eric Snow, Ira Newble, and Cedric Simmons. Although Snow and Jones expire next year. I could easily see the cavs throwing in their first round pick though. I would love to know what they were offering, I can't imagine they weren't trying to get in on that deal. Maybe Petrie has really convinced himself he can have cap space this offseason, I don't believe that until I see it.
Either he thinks he can get cap room through another deal (like that Miller to Orlando trade I proposed) or he's gliding the wheels to take on more salary like Nene. He might have been hamstrung in Artest trades because he couldn't really take on more salary with Bibby still on the books if he wanted to stay under the luxury tax level. Clearing cap space this offseason might now allow us to get under the cap, but it COULD allow a trade for Nene and/or having breathing room under the tax level to re-sign Beno.

Would've preferred Marvin to Shelden.

Seems like the Kings are finally on the rebuild train; Sitting your better players for long stretches and selling players at a loss. None of it is pretty but there will be better days, I hope.

This is a GREAT trade for teh Sacramento kings for a couuple of reasons:

1. More money, more money, more money for hte future
2. Pretty much says Ron Artest will eb gone after this season so more moeny for free agency once again!
3. Sheldon Willims, a great PF that IMHO should start and will get great minutes.
4. We probably get worse and lose more games meaning better draft pcik baby!
5. More potential in the team and players.

Also, what does it mean for a buy-out?

Either he thinks he can get cap room through another deal (like that Miller to Orlando trade I proposed) or he's gliding the wheels to take on more salary like Nene. He might have been hamstrung in Artest trades because he couldn't really take on more salary with Bibby still on the books if he wanted to stay under the luxury tax level. Clearing cap space this offseason might now allow us to get under the cap, but it COULD allow a trade for Nene and/or having breathing room under the tax level to re-sign Beno.
That second reason is much more boring, I like the first reason better but that's somewhat unrealistic IMO.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This was good enough for a rebuilding move. And actually finally, FINALLY, a move that actually does look like rebuilding. But it doesn't really accomplish much in and of itself. There need to be other moves + followup moves to make it matter.

This was good enough for a rebuilding move. And actually finally, FINALLY, a move that actually does look like rebuilding. But it doesn't really accomplish much in and of itself. There need to be other moves + followup moves to make it matter.
Ditto, thunder thief.

I'm happy with this move because it's a move, but now I'm eager to see what's going to happen next.

The Real winner of this trade is both teams. Bibby's contract was equal to a talent level. And it's sad, that his value doesn't match his contact. This trade was not going to produce a marvin williams, josh smith or even josh childress because of salary and value. I think that this does more for the kings org. reputation, because it sends the message, we don't screw over our players, and for the most part they haven't. They just sent Bibby to a playoff contending team, that is classy. On the other hand, it appears that the white flag over this season is rising. "This trade was a tease"

piksi

Hall of Famer
This is a GREAT trade for teh Sacramento kings for a couuple of reasons:

1. More money, more money, more money for hte future
2. Pretty much says Ron Artest will eb gone after this season so more moeny for free agency once again!
3. Sheldon Willims, a great PF that IMHO should start and will get great minutes.
4. We probably get worse and lose more games meaning better draft pcik baby!
5. More potential in the team and players.

Also, what does it mean for a buy-out?
1. - doesn't mean that it will be spent

2. same as one

3. he is not great and he won't start

4. We won't get worse. We even might win more games because we don't lose much on offense and we get better on defense instantly

5. for right now - no differenc

6'9 is an issue.
I never buy that garbage. Shareef was 6'9 and he had a nice career for himself. Other guys? Ben Wallace, Moses Malone (listed 6'10 but really was like 6'9 and 1/4. Either way, if you have skill, an inch doesn't matter. I am not making comparisons, I am just saying with the right skill set he'll be fine.

Whether you like this trade or dislike this trade, one thing is true. We're beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Bibby has been moved. Artest will either be traded this next week, or opt out.

And someone correct me here, do Brad and Kenny come off the books at the end of teh 08-09 season, or the 09-10 season? I keep hearing it being said as the end of 08-09 season. I thought it went to 09-10. If it is after next season, then that's great.

And we'll see if Shareef has to retire. But, we're clearing out the things we've wanted to clear out to get more athletic, but we've had to wait. Well the period we have to wait is shorter now. The Kings are bringing in young talent, and their coach for the future in place.

It's happening, slowly but surely, it's happening. The pain we suffer now will make success all the more sweet when it comes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We have 17. We have to cut two to get down to the league maximum of 15. Either that, or buy someone out and cut one.

;)

We have 17. We have to cut two to get down to the league maximum of 15. Either that, or buy someone out and cut one.

;)
How can you cut a player? Isn't cutting them the same as buying out the rest of their contract? I thought you always had to pay whatever was owned on the term of their contract if you let someone go?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You can pay them the remainder of their contract - 3 of these 4 are expirings - and drop them from your roster. It's about getting down to roster size right now, not whether or not we pay them.

when I mentioned "buy out," I was referring to someone who is going to be here through 2010. ;)

You can pay them the remainder of their contract - 3 of these 4 are expirings - and drop them from your roster. It's about getting down to roster size right now, not whether or not we pay them.

when I mentioned "buy out," I was referring to someone who is going to be here through 2010. ;)
Oh Ok, I see. Yeah I understand we have to get down to 15 or below, I just didn't understand the cut being different than a buy out. So kenny and Brad are there through 09-10? Every sports show they say the end of next season, and I could have sworn it was through 09-10.