Kings sign Mikki Moore!!!

technically we are better with Moore than we are without him.
It is the fact that our gm has sqandered the MLE on crappy/so-so players the last three years. It feels like the team is being run into the ground with just a complete lack of discipline.

All I want is to be rid of Brad and Kenny. If that happens I will be happy and I will be happy to have Moore. But minus that, it is just frustrating. I keep waiting to read that something positive has happened. And waiting...

I really don't have a problem with Moore...If he can channel what he did against us into a nightly thing he instantly becomes one of our top frontcourt players.

And he is also defaultly our best power forward now.

And he's fun to watch.

It's not like we're gonna win anytime soon, so we may as well have some entertaining athletes playing whilst we lose...Right?
Um, no that's not right. A rebuilding effort is just as serious and important as a win now effort, you don't just sign guys because they're entertaining. Becoming a top frontcourt player on our team is not a hard thing to do and I question if that's even a true statement. Why is it relevant what he did against our crappy frontcourt defense? That has no bearing on what he's capable of doing against other teams.

The Jazz are interested in a PG, plus we have the Center they want, anyone care to check on some possible trades with the Jazz? Bibby and Moore for whom though?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Two categories:

Permanent problems with this move -- don't care how homer you are, how determined to defend everything, these ARE problems:

1) The biggee. There is a 3rd year. Partially guaranteed. That takes us past the 08-09 deadline and we just lost some of our caproom so we could pay a 35 yr old Mikki Moore. That's stupid. Now how stupid depends to some degree on how much is guaranteed. Is there an out? A two year deal for Moore is pointless but infintiely preferable to a 3rd, which is just nonsensical.

2) Using our MLE on a 32 yr old center of course takes us out of contention to sign any of the young guys around the league.

3) Mikki Moore just had the ultimate career/contract year. he was a nothign journeyman before this year. Tony Massenberg level. Guys get hurt, he steps up. Of course plays well against us (does Geoff actually own league pass to see guys against other teams?) And boom, we sign him.

4) Mikki Moore $5.5mil, Kenny Thomas $7.4mil, Shareef $6.4mil, Brad Miller $10.4mil -- a whole stack of incredibly middling 30-something frontcourt garbage, acquired by Geoff at the low low price of $30 million!!

5) As stands, minutes stolen from Justin and Hawes, because even in a rebuild we don't believe in letting kids play. Or is this a rebuild?

So, how could this work?

1) Justin/Hawes/Moore -- we were short and stubby, but add all three players to the frontcourt rotation and we have gained tremendously in length, if not actual talent.

2) there is a trade, and a fairly immediate one (or else we would be taking a big risk completely unnecessarily) clearing out one or more (and in order to get minutes for Williams/Hawes it has to be more) of Brad/KT/Reef. The third year is going to remain a stupid sticking point anyway, but frankly Geoff is one of the worst GMs in the league when it comes to contracts anyway. Overpays, gives guys options to screw us at all times. Never gets the lengths right. In any case, if you traded two of the three away, and just brought back Moore, he would be a placeholder and not significnatly interfere. If you don't, he is either a complete waste of salary, or a complete waste of minutes that should go to Justin/Hawes.

Last edited:
The Jazz are interested in a PG, plus we have the Center they want, anyone care to check on some possible trades with the Jazz? Bibby and Moore for whom though?
Ever heard of a game name Deron Williams? Why would they want Bibby? Also you can't sign and trade a free agent from another team. If we sign Moore we can't trade him until some time in december.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
After you sign a guy as a FA you can't trade him until December 15 I think. No, Moore at least is ours for a good long time. If there are trades in the works, it has to be some of our other guys.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
After you sign a guy as a FA you can't trade him until December 15 I think. No, Moore at least is ours for a good long time. If there are trades in the works, it has to be some of our other guys.
Didn't George Karl once say he admired Brad Miller?

This blows my mind. Did we actually just sign Mikki Moore to the MLE?

Let me repeat that:

did we actually just sign Mikki Moore to the MLE?
Full MLE, 18 million dollars bro. Completely blows my mind, I'm just completely fed up. I'm so tired of the incompetence. Hey, how about them Houston Rockets?

there has got to be something behind this, this is like signing someone just because you can, it won't help us but lets sign this guy for the sake of signing someone...well we all wanted Petrie to do something right away and he did, happy? :p

Full MLE, 18 million dollars bro. Completely blows my mind, I'm just completely fed up. I'm so tired of the incompetence. Hey, how about them Houston Rockets?
yes the rockets are looking good and they got that scola guy who is suppose to help them get over that hump in the playoff.

there has got to be something behind this, this is like signing someone just because you can, it won't help us but lets sign this guy for the sake of signing someone...well we all wanted Petrie to do something right away and he did, happy? :p
I agree, there must be another move or several in the works. Even if SAR is the most likely moved, basically Moore just replaces him as the first big off the bench. Considering SAR has bad knees at least Moore is more likely to get into the flow for the up-tempo game Coach Theus wants.

This can't be true! When I first heard this I thought they meant the veteran's exception, that is about right for a locker room presence to help out our younger guys. But the MLE! This guy wouldn't have gotten that anywhere, Matt Barnes can't even get the MLE after one of the greatest playoff performances seen in years.

He brings nothing to the table and even if the Kings can theoretically move Thomas AND Shareef (which won't happen) we would still be too loaded at PF. Is this a rebuild or what? You know that it's Justin's minutes and Hawes' minutes that will be taken.

The sad thing is if Petrie decided to not make any trades and felt compelled to make a move to satisfy the fans to give them some change and this was it. Because this year I think the fans would have been fine leaving the MLE alone.

I'm speechless, the Kings have just jeopardized their future even more FOR NOTHING! It seems like the Kings have a perfect record of making bad moves over the last three years or so, it seems fishy, like something else is going on here.

I arrived late to this party. I have to say, I really like Mikki Moore and always have. He's a really solid player, fun to watch, great attitude.

But wow. What in the world?? He's 32. I'm so confused.

yes the rockets are looking good and they got that scola guy who is suppose to help them get over that hump in the playoff.
I don't know if the scola signing is official but if they sign him they just got a HUGE steal from SA. I didn't like the Brooks pick but other than that they're looking pretty good.

well on a brighter note, Mikki's solid defensively and he plays with heart apperently...... not too bad with Cisco, Kevin, Ronnie and Justin Williams.....

well on a brighter note, Mikki's solid defensively and he plays with heart apperently...... not too bad with Cisco, Kevin, Ronnie and Justin Williams.....
I don't doubt the guy's heart or work ethic or his defensive ability which are all things the Kings need, but NOT AT AGE 32! He would be a great guy to have off the bench on a contending team, but we are a rebuilding team and even if we were contending, the entire MLE is too much.

We already have a guy who plays with heart, with a great work ethic, and has solid defensive and rebounding ability and guess what...he's only 23! Now watch Justin Williams' minutes disappear and sign on with a team next year like the Bobcats and become a star...I'm sure I've seen this movie before.

I think this might just be a way of making the next two years while we're bad more bearable. Bringing in someone who plays with passion is going to go a long way toward making games watchable. And he's not going to make us that much better. I wouldn't be surprsied if he had team option for the third season so we could still make that 2009 splash.

Yes. I'm talking myself into this one.

Let's take a look at some stats, Mikki Moore averaged 26.4 minutes per game which are pretty significant...let's see how he did.

9.8 Points, 5.1 Rebounds, and 0.8 Blocks

I could swear I've seen stats like these before.

Shareef: 25.2 minutes, 9.9 Points, 5.0 Rebounds, 0.5 Blocks

Coincidence...you tell me...

Moore is solid player.

So we have Miller, Moore, Thomas, SAR, Hawes, Williams for 3 maybe 4 spots in the rotation. Nice planing. And we are about to have zero PGs on the roster.
and its november right now...right?
The season is starting tomorrow? Right?

Or...maybe he signed this guy for a REASON. Meaning one of our other bigs are about to get taped up and shipped out.

You guys are naming all the bigs on our team with the thought that the offseason is over and we arent trading ANYBODY.

Petrie probably has something in the works already. Maybe a couple big men are gonna get shipped out in which this signing would actually look good.

Patience.