Kings Summer League Info/Questions/Discussion (merged)

That's our Cisco!
I've seen Garcia at three speeds in this game.

First he was intense and looking to make passes on the inside and score when needed - NBA ready.

Then he got a little bored and started to slack off and commited some silly fouls, etc.

Later he got totally bored and threw up shots from all over that went in!

So much for summer league if you're basically at another level than 85% of the dudes you're up against.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That reminds me of the 40 times guys run at the NFL combines. Some guys are just faster with the ball then they are in some no stress test.

Not so much -- just...summer league. Its an odd place. I think a couple of games ago China's NT scored something like 102? and barely lost to maybe the Hornets or someebody. And then there is this where legitimately they all looked horrible. Yi was passive and shooting jumpers (his game is to the rim) the guards could barely dribble let alone feed anybody. Jsut terrible.

And for China -- this was Game 2 of the back to back, so maybe they are tired or whatever. How bad is it going to be tommorow when they go for Game 3 of a back to back to BACK ?!? :eek:

pretty good game, obv liked what i saw from hawes and williams, garcia should have done what he did.. no one unexpected really shined IMO, shakur played a solid defensive and passing game, no offense to speak of and I thought watkins had a decent game as well but didnt really stand out.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Watkins can shoot. Williams still can't hit a free throw that is going to hold him back unless he fixes it.

That's a bit overrated. Not sure why so many people wring their hands so much about big man FTs, but by my count the last 12 NBA titles have ALL been won by teams anchored by crappy FT shooting big men (Shaq, Duncan, Wallace, Rodman).

As long as he can rebound and block shots, the FTs are just an amusing sidelight.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And for China -- this was Game 2 of the back to back, so maybe they are tired or whatever. How bad is it going to be tommorow when they go for Game 3 of a back to back to BACK ?!? :eek:
If our kids played them tomorrow instead of today, I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing playoff talks.

:p

What was your impression of Shakur, Brick? Anything there to build on?

What a ugly second half. The Refs decided to call everything, which really ruined the flow of the game. Great game by Hawes, Williams, and Garcia. Shakur didn't do much tonight but id still like to see him get more minutes with the first unit. A good start to the summer league for our bigs, which is what i was hoping for.

Entity

Hall of Famer
That's a bit overrated. Not sure why so many people wring their hands so much about big man FTs, but by my count the last 12 NBA titles have ALL been won by teams anchored by crappy FT shooting big men (Shaq, Duncan, Wallace, Rodman).

As long as he can rebound and block shots, the FTs are just an amusing sidelight.
well he can do that and just a side note to the YI saga that has gone on in here. He only had 4 reb in his first game when he was fresh. So whats with that.

Hawes looked pretty good offensively, but man did he look slooow. He can't really move toward rebounds and I think this is going to be more pronounced when he plays against people other than Wang Zhizhi. Still though -- have to say I was reasonbly impressed with his offensive moves (not so much with the seven turnovers).

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hawes looked pretty good offensively, but man did he look slooow. He can't really move toward rebounds and I think this is going to be more pronounced when he plays against people other than Wang Zhizhi. Still though -- have to say I was reasonbly impressed with his offensive moves.
You and I saw 2 different things from the same plays. he wasn't moving toward rebounds. he was boxing his man out leaving a wide open reboundss for Garcia and others that came flying in. He was noticably smarter than the other team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hawes looked pretty good offensively, but man did he look slooow. He can't really move toward rebounds and I think this is going to be more pronounced when he plays against people other than Wang Zhizhi. Still though -- have to say I was reasonbly impressed with his offensive moves (not so much with the seven turnovers).
Vlade Divac wasn't exactly greased lightning either, and he seemed to do okay.

;)

You and I saw 2 different things from the same plays. he wasn't moving toward rebounds. he was boxing his man out leaving a wide open reboundss for Garcia and others that came flying in. He was noticably smarter than the other team.
i'll agree with this. lots of great box outs.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hawes looked slow!? Wow I was about to say the opposite the way most had him painted out to be.

well its always like that. The ppl that didn't like the draft pick will never speak highly of them until they do it in a real game. regaurdless that Spencer Hawes just put together one of the best all around games we have seen by a rookie here in years.