SVG & Kings verbal agreement, with wiggle room...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I must say that it's getting real old to watch the Kings upper management just mull around and never make any proactive decisions. Of course Orlando is forcing them to do so now. Look at the Magic, they know exactly what they want and they're going after it. They wanted Donovan first and Van Gundy second and they put 100% focus on that.

I understand you want to interview a few guys to have options but generally you know what a guy can do based on his prior experience. SVG is the most qualified for this job. A verbal agreement if it was even done is worthless, if the Kings really want SVG they need to offer a contract and make it public. They better do it today or tomorrow as well because if they don't the Magic will...count on it.
Erm, what?

We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. And you have to consider SVG's feelings in this matter. A bunch of people here are acting like he's the perfect candidate for our vacant head coaching position but are you thinking about it from HIS point of view? Just because some here are desperate to get him doesn't mean he wants to be the next head coach for the Sacramento Kings, especially if the alternate is for him to be the next head coach of the Orlando Magic. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.

Erm, what?

We have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. And you have to consider SVG's feelings in this matter. A bunch of people here are acting like he's the perfect candidate for our vacant head coaching position but are you thinking about it from HIS point of view? Just because some here are desperate to get him doesn't mean he wants to be the next head coach for the Sacramento Kings, especially if the alternate is for him to be the next head coach of the Orlando Magic. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.
We have some facts about what happend. As of last Thursday Orlando was out of the picture. We interview him Saturday and he makes the comment:

"The ball's in their court," Van Gundy said. "Now we just see what happens. It's a little nerve-wracking, but now we just wait and see."
Does that sound like a guy who didn't want to come here?

Then we screw around with Rambis Sunday and the Orlando situation blows up, and Stan has second thoughts now.

Again, impossible to anticipate that Orlando situation, but there is no question in my mind that SVG could have been locked up as the Kings coach between Thursday and Sunday.

We have some facts about what happend. As of last Thursday Orlando was out of the picture. We interview him Saturday and he makes the comment:

Does that sound like a guy who didn't want to come here?

Then we screw around with Rambis Sunday and the Orlando situation blows up, and Stan has second thoughts now.

Again, impossible to anticipate that Orlando situation, but there is no question in my mind that SVG could have been locked up as the Kings coach between Thursday and Sunday.
IF this article is true, it indicates the Kings offered the job and SVG verbally accepted the Kings coaching job on Saturday.

According to this article, how is this anything you can blame on the Kings, if they really did have an oral agreement with SVG and he decided to ditch his acceptance of the Kings coaching job and go to Orlando instead?

And did you expect Donovan to back out? Then how could the Kings either?

I'm not always happy with the Kings organiation either, but I really can't bend over backward to blame this on them, if SVG really goes to Orlando.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm not that concerned with who the next Kings coach is. The Kings haven't even started to rebuild, so they're at least 3 years from being a playoff team. I want to watch entertaining basketball and I'd like to see the young guys get better. Maybe SVG could win 30 games with a rebuilding team, while Rambis would only win 25. What's the difference, really?

Improvement and entertainment. That's what I'm looking for from the Kings over the next few years.
Agreed. But a good coach is going to help young players improve. Ergo, you'd like to have a good coach, right?

Don't we want a coach that actually WANTS the job?
I'm sure SVG wants a head coaching job. I'm sure if Orlando wasn't an option, he would be fine with coaching here and do his best. Its pretty clear the Kings were on his list of desirable options. It would be kind of a bummer, tho, if we knew we were the back-up choice.

IF this article is true, it indicates the Kings offered the job and SVG verbally accepted the Kings coaching job on Saturday.

According to this article, how is this anything you can blame on the Kings, if they really did have an oral agreement with SVG and he decided to ditch his acceptance of the Kings coaching job and go to Orlando instead?

And did you expect Donovan to back out? Then how could the Kings either?

I'm not always happy with the Kings organiation either, but I really can't bend over backward to blame this on them, if SVG really goes to Orlando.
We don't really know IF SVG "ditch" his acceptance of the Kings job. We don't know what's behind close doors. I'm going to give SVG the benefit of the doubt UNTIL its been confirmed that he did in fact, ditch his acceptance of the Kings coaching job.

Last edited:
SVG does want this job, it's not like he would take it because it's all he's got, he turned down Indiana and basically Charlotte. He's had nothing to say but good things about Sacramento and when you say "the ball's in their court", it means you're waiting for an offer. I believe we could have signed him earlier and when the Orlando job opened up he would still be happy as the Kings coach.

SVG is an experienced and successful NBA coach and works well with younger players. I'm not saying he can turn us around by himself but he's the perfect step in the right direction.

I dont want ron jermey, He was let go by Mia for a reason and he wasnt hired for a while by anyone else for a reason. The kings need some new blood and just becuse the eric musclemen experiment didnt work out doesnt mean the kings need to hire a mediocre retread. I think the best way too go is Kurt Rambis.

We don't really know IF SVG "ditch" his acceptance. We don't know what's behind close doors. I'm going to give SVG the benefit of the doubt UNTIL its been confirmed that he did ditch his acceptance of the Kings coaching job.
I was basing my comments on IF this article were true. I don't happen to think the "verbal agreement" is true.

I don't believe anything is fact, until its officially announced. Of course, Donovan just blew the idea that "official announcements" make it so, didn't he? ;)

I dont want ron jermey, He was let go by Mia for a reason and he wasnt hired for a while by anyone else for a reason. The kings need some new blood and just becuse the eric musclemen experiment didnt work out doesnt mean the kings need to hire a mediocre retread. I think the best way too go is Kurt Rambis.
I think its rude to call SVG "Ron Jeremy". I think this message board is better than that. Just my 2 cents.

He's far from a mediocre retread. He was forced out of Miami by Pat Riley after taking a bad team and helping them rebuild. He took a 25 win team and with him they won 40+ games and that's before Shaq came to town and Wade blew up into a star. He was only out of a job for a little more than a season. Of the three apparent candidates (SVG, Rambis and Porter) he has by far the most experience and most success.

I'm not so sold on SVG that I'd be totally upset, if the Kings go a different direction. SVG is a "safe" choice and has a good resume. But......

Aren't assistant coaches ever supposed to get a chance? Then what do we do when the current head coaches are all dead or retired?:p

:confused:

He was ran out of Miami... Pat Riley snaked his way in there for a ring.

He's far from a mediocre retread. He was forced out of Miami by Pat Riley after taking a bad team and helping them rebuild. He took a 25 win team and with him they won 40+ games and that's before Shaq came to town and Wade blew up into a star. He was only out of a job for a little more than a season. Of the three apparent candidates (SVG, Rambis and Porter) he has by far the most experience and most success.
he helped them rebulid but didnt do much with it so they let him go. who cares how much success he had give a new guy a shot like rambis.

I think most here want a proven coach becuse of what happend with musclemen.

I'm not so sold on SVG that I'd be totally upset, if the Kings go a different direction. SVG is a "safe" choice and has a good resume. But......

Aren't assistant coaches ever supposed to get a chance? Then what do we do when the current head coaches are all dead or retired?:p

I agree that why i like SVG too but id rather have an assitant that can build his team and have make the kings a winner and grow with them. I like rambis myself.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
:confused:

He was ran out of Miami... Pat Riley snaked his way in there for a ring.
And, IIRC, he was only recently given approval to discuss openings with other teams. I think last year the Heat wouldn't allow teams to talk with him about openings, as he is still under contract with them.

The verbal agreement thing is hard to believe considering, by all accounts they still met with Rambis the next day. They would'nt meet with Rambis if they offered Van Gundy the job already. That'd be a waste of time and a little rude to have a guy fly out to meet you when you already picked someone else.

Don't forget, though- the "reason" he wasn't immediately hired by someone else was because he had provisions imposed by the Heat and his contract that made it very complicated for him to leave last year. I'm not sure what those stipulations were, but I know they were there...

EDIT: Sorry Warhawk- saw you just mentioned this too...

Don't forget, though- the "reason" he wasn't immediately hired by someone else was because he had provisions imposed by the Heat and his contract that made it very complicated for him to leave last year. I'm not sure what those stipulations were, but I know they were there...

EDIT: Sorry Warhawk- saw you just mentioned this too...

you are correct on the SVG thing i heard it from someone who works for the heat however if he was so great he wouldnt have been fired despite the theorys on the situation.

you are correct on the SVG thing i heard it from someone who works for the heat however if he was so great he wouldnt have been fired despite the theorys on the situation.
I disagree. In any business, including sports, power mongering and marketability play key parts of decisions. There was a lot of muscling by the powers above, and it has happened to other coaches as well, no matter what their standing, record, or way of life. The point is, it's not always about "competence"- sometimes someone gets screwed by the situation.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think its rude to call SVG "Ron Jeremy". I think this message board is better than that. Just my 2 cents.

Rude? Hardly. SVG should be honored, and it has to be fun to do commuity outreach stuff in an old folks home and see all the old ladies eyes get wide as saucers when you walk in. :D

he helped them rebulid but didnt do much with it so they let him go. who cares how much success he had give a new guy a shot like rambis.

I think most here want a proven coach becuse of what happend with musclemen.

YA THINK?!!:confused:

We gave a shot to a guy like Rambis, and look where it got us. We need a coach that has not only proven to win but proven to gain the respect of NBA players. Sacramento needs a coach that has experience in being a head coach, not just another guy trying out a new job.

isn't that what the kings are looking to do?? and since he was successful at it, why ignore it?

It depends, by rebuldiung do you mean sucking for the lottery?
The kings dont need too rebulid becuse they have some good players despite there critics most teams dont have that and the kings are only one season removed from the playoffs with most of the same roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.