Training Camp 2024

Statistically for sure, but, in terms of efficiency, i think we'll see a nice and hefty uptick
That's the thing, if he does what he does best when we need, that's all we could ask for, I think.
We were pretty much done for the night if the opposing team slowed down Fox and Monk. He will draw attention, collapsing the defense, and giving open looks to the rest, that's for sure.
Both Fox and Monk even Domas are relieved there's a vet who could take the scoring load off them, giving them some breathing room. I suppose, their efficiency will go up as well. Barnes used to make the games easy when he scored efficiently. Now we have a more consistent and elite midrange scorer, our Achilles heel.

Last edited:
My wife and I saw Coach Brown out in DPH last Friday night at the Grant Union Pacers game against Lincoln of San Diego.

I knew he attended a lot of the Oak Ridge games, but surely didn't expect him to show up at GHS that night. He was there for most, if not all, of the game, too. I think it's really cool that he supports and really enjoys going to these local high school games. The players were really juiced to see/meet him. When Boogie Cousins was playing here in SAC it wasn't uncommon to see him at some HS games too. IIRC, I've seen Swipa at a game once as well.

With Orlando Robinson out indefinitely with a knee injury, the Kings now only have 16 men who are in full training. Lyles, Huerter, McLaughlin, and Carter are all in various stages of recovery.

That does mean more opportunity for guys like Terry Taylor and Boogie Ellis, however.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I can't help but cringe a bit inside upon reading this. I'm all for him shooting more but not the three ball. Take those wide open mid-range shots defenders are giving you instead.
I was one of the "This team takes too many threes!!" people last season, but I'm hoping Mike wants this from Domas to stretch the floor and open up the midrange more for DeRozen and Fox (who said he wanted to get back to his middy game - thankfully! Because he was automatic from that range a few seasons ago).

I don't think it's a coincidence that we landed an elite midrange ISO player and now all of a sudden Mike wants Domas to hang behind the line a bit more

I was one of the "This team takes too many threes!!" people last season, but I'm hoping Mike wants this from Domas to stretch the floor and open up the midrange more for DeRozen and Fox (who said he wanted to get back to his middy game - thankfully! Because he was automatic from that range a few seasons ago).

I don't think it's a coincidence that we landed an elite midrange ISO player and now all of a sudden Mike wants Domas to hang behind the line a bit more
Last years shot chart shows even in very limited attempts, in the corners he wasn't bad (almost no attempts though) and he shot 50% from the top of the arc. Which is probably an anomaly but a good sign. The right wing is where he struggled though shooting in the low 20's. Everywhere else he wasn't actually that bad.

Makes sense, yet driving to the basket and offensive rebounding are a big part of his game. There's a lot of ground to cover in between, I wish here and there he'd stop and pop midranges to keep the defense honest.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I suppose DeRozan will be the one starter that won't chuck up too many three pointers and we've seen how Fox gets a bit in three point chucking mode last season so ideally you want him to get back to his strengths and work that mid-range/floater area and then in that scenario I suppose you can't have Domas operating in that same space so you encourage him to up his usage from deep.

The only two things I'm a bit concerned about of the things Brown has said so far are the pace and this. Maybe it works, but with the kind of half court ability they now have in Fox and DDR, pace might mean slowing it down a little and pounding teams. The Kings won't only have Fox to lean on when the system stalls.
I think pace and speed are different things and Fox explained it perfectly the other day. Not that they'll always balance it perfectly, but i think it's all about getting into their sets quicker and making smart decisions at the same time.

I think pace and speed are different things and Fox explained it perfectly the other day. Not that they'll always balance it perfectly, but i think it's all about getting into their sets quicker and making smart decisions at the same time.
I read that Monte or someone put a top 5 ranking as a to do kind of thing. I'm sure Brown won't push play style demand over need, but with coaches of previous years this would be a major concern haha. Getting into sets quicker, rebound and run, etc. that's definitely good. I just hope to see less quick shooting if and when it's not necessary. This team on paper isn't one that should have trouble getting good looks later in the clock. Last year the Mavs and C's were ranking somewhere in the middle to bottom 3rd in pace during the playoffs. Even the top team during the playoffs was 7 points below the top team during the regular season. For reference the year prior there were 5 teams come playoff time, including the Kings at the very top, who were over the 100 mark in pace. This last year not a single team was over 100. The more physical superteam era may have indeed begun. The playoffs is about who can generate shots later in the clock, always has been. I'm sure there will be flexibility once coach Brown sees how this actually looks. Shooting for number 1 in pace might end up being the way, we'll see.

I sure hope so. Caruso already is one of the most valuable players in the NBA.
But he wasn't as evolved at 24.

Keon is a little taller, a little longer, and IMO a little tougher.

Offensively, IDK whether the 3-point shooting will sustain or even improve, but if it levels out where it was at the end of the regular season -- he's going to be a very good 2-way player.

IMO Keon needs to work on finishing at the rim and developing something like a mid-range floater. Offensive creativity closer to the rim looked to me to be an area for improvement.

Beyond that, just gaining more real game experience is going to be invaluable.