[Game] Kings @ Rockets, 11/6/2023 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do in Monk, but for some reason Brown likes him coming off the bench with Fox out. I say start Monk and let Ellis and Colby run the second unit.
It might be worth a shot. The downside is his history isn't that and he's in a contract year so if he does break out, you're kind of just betting against yourself. The first playoff run is the only real proof of a Fox/Monk 1/2 punch and Monk was every bit the erratic boom or bust player he is. His efficiency is up and down ending up at around a Jordan Poole/JR Smith level historically.

Be honest we knew what we should have upgraded and we didn’t. We brought back Barnes. That is the big move in offseason that set us back. Was too safe of a move. Switch brooks with barns and see the difference in the team. And brooks is a culture changing guy. Not a Al star but a great 3rd who can ellevste a team intensity
no we overpaid Domas before he proved he could shoot.

if you really want to look at a move that we should have made with Barnes I would say the decision not to trade Barnes to Boston at the 2021 trade deadline for Bostons first and Aaron Nesmith.

we would have gotten Franz Wagner instead of Davion Mitchell and Sengun with Boston’s first pick

The thing is, whether people want to admit it or not, the Kings played above their weight last season; they were about a year ahead of schedule. And when you overachieve like they did last year, you need to sort of 'run it back' the next season, just to figure out who's really part of your core, who's going to put in the work to get to the next level, etc. Coming out of Game 7, the only players you could have had any confidence would still be on the roster on Opening Night 2026 were Fox and Sabonis. Before you start going 'whale hunting' you need to figure out what you've got in these other guys.
Monte did kind of go whale hunting though. Beal and OG were the apparent targets. Who knows what the FA money was about but probably somehow involved in making space for Beal.

Here's the thing, though: the most significant offseason move the Rockets made was signing a coach whom most people felt was radioactive. Udoka has coached the hell out of these guys; you'll not convince me that the roster changes they made would have worked with any other coach.
perhaps but regardless this team is 2-4

It might be worth a shot. The downside is his history isn't that and he's in a contract year so if he does break out, you're kind of just betting against yourself. The first playoff run is the only real proof of a Fox/Monk 1/2 punch and Monk was every bit the erratic boom or bust player he is. His efficiency is up and down ending up at around a Jordan Poole/JR Smith level historically.
plus Monk’s strengths are with the ball in his hand running the pick and roll. He has many similar strengths as Haliburton who also needed the ball in his hands to excel.

Wait till monk figures out he’s not starting so we can keep his value down to resign him. How will that sit? Monk has progressed to starter level talent. Either here or somewhere else. Huerter is Not better than him. I know we want a spark off the bench but I wouldn’t mind a spart starter as well. Think about this, fox is the ultimate closer, imagine having the ultimate opener?

You can’t go big whale hunting if you never shoot the harpoon! More like whale watching in Monterey Bay
Haha. True that. Although Beal had final say, he chose the Suns. Is what it is. The Raps wanted Keegan and a boatload I think. Yeah, that probably doesn't make sense given OG's contract let alone anyway IMO. I still think the one to watch is LaVine. The Kings are unfortunately going to have to look at some type of gettable player on a horrible contract. Is what it is as well. Outside of that, yeah, cementing Domas/Fox early was what it was also and honestly probably not totally necessary but Domas wasn't going anywhere so what's that difference. This was likely the only summer Monte had money to play with and he went for some cap at least. It just didn't materialize. Trey depending on role might overpaid but not an albatross. Barnes is on a fair deal. If you look at the cap structure Monte created he's basically got a ton of options to make salaries work in a deal. I really don't think that was by accident. I mean it's actually bizzare. It almost goes up by 1 million at a time player to player then two bigger middle deals in Huerter and Barnes both at 15 and 18 or so They need to start playing better for sure though.

Wait till monk figures out he’s not starting so we can keep his value down to resign him. How will that sit? Monk has progressed to starter level talent. Either here or somewhere else. Huerter is Not better than him. I know we want a spark off the bench but I wouldn’t mind a spart starter as well. Think about this, fox is the ultimate closer, imagine having the ultimate opener?
Maybe, but remember this is a guy that isn't too far removed from signing a prove it deal just to stay in the league. No question though, yeah, when you're calling card is depth get ahead of it before teams start poaching your guys. Petrie was pretty dang good at that back in the day. Hedo being the main one. If Davion and Monk start playing up to their abilities all it takes is one team to pry them.

Maybe, but remember this is a guy that isn't too far removed from signing a prove it deal just to stay in the league. No question though, yeah, when you're calling card is depth get ahead of it before teams start poaching your guys. Petrie was pretty dang good at that back in the day. Hedo being the main one. If Davion and Monk start playing up to their abilities all it takes is one team to pry them.
Davion can kick rocks.

I’m gonna withhold judgment on individual play until December, but there are issues on offense when we don’t have either Fox or Monk in the lineup. We simply do not have the foot speed or athleticism without either of them on the floor to beat guys off the dribble, so we rely on 3s for our offense. Knowing that, Rockets went over most screens and contested our 3s. They were flying guys from everywhere to put a hand in our face. This is a big reason why our starters’ 3pt % these last few games is as bad as it is. Udoka pretty much dared us to drive to the hoop and played us straight up on D (Sabonis was never double teamed). Concerning signs but we should know teams are gonna copy Warriors defensive strategy

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I watch at least two games a night on average, whether the Kings are playing or not. Mark Jones and Kayte Christensen are in my Top 5, and they ain't 5.
Then I guess you should have stated they were in your top 4 then. Unless they’re not 4 either….

Key point being made here is, they are in YOUR top 5. But I’d bet anything they aren’t in the majorities top 5. With the notable exception of those primarily appreciating her appearance.

@fansinceday1 is right. Kayte talks WAY too much. Both during broadcasts and in post game pressers where she typically rambles incessantly in a desperate attempt to appear knowledgeable before finally getting around to asking a freaking question.

Seriously, she almost never asks a straight up question. If you have listened to her for any length of time and can’t recognize or acknowledge that, you’re simply not being objective. She employs the same approach to her color commentary — which is more like color dissertation.

That all said, she is far from the worst I’ve heard and I too have NBA league pass. Outside of some newer media personalities recently added, I’ve seen and heard all of them at one time or another. There are some really, really bad ones. And Kayte isn’t that bad. But she’s not all that good either. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Here's the thing, though: the most significant offseason move the Rockets made was signing a coach whom most people felt was radioactive. Udoka has coached the hell out of these guys; you'll not convince me that the roster changes they made would have worked with any other coach.
Eh, the Rockets have won ONE game beyond beating the KINGS twice at home. And that was Charlotte who is 2-4.

Perhaps it might be more prudent to wait and see what they look like after 15-20 games before declaring that Udoka has coached the hell out of them.

I still believe that’s a lottery team and not a tremendously good one at that.

But apparently the KINGS just might be too. They certainly look like it right now. But they also have Swipa returning soon so who knows.

Last edited:
Kings better figure this out fast; Brown failed this game 2. Getting destroyed by a mediocre Rockets team does not bode well. What lousy effort, and forget the Trailblazeres if they play anything close to this 2nd Rockets game. I can see 1 loss to the Rockets, but not 2 losses - I expected alot better effort this 2nd game , and zeroes. Quite a few people are failing their jobs.

Coach-of-the-Year Brown certainly deserved the award last year for pushing the team's performance. This year seems to have started with a team tired of being pushed...almost defiant. Recall the game early this year when Brown said Keegan mouthed F-you after being threatened with being pulled from the game. Certainly an out-of-character response to what was going on his rookie year and approaching a lack of respect. It is not wise to "ride a horse hard and put him away wet" as the saying goes.

As a 30-year teacher, there is an observed reason students get a new teacher and a new start each year. A clean start allows for a remake and refresh. I'm putting this start on Brown. There is ample evidence in the last two games that the motivation is lacking in the players. Brown and his coaches need a mental reset for the team to break out of the current malaise. It starts with a reset of methodology at the top.

Last season I posted a similar concern about Brown's penchant for "punishment" of errors to be a long-term detriment to players production and it seems to have risen to a predictable problematic level over time. As an educator, I see the current results as an inevitability.

Coach-of-the-Year Brown certainly deserved the award last year for pushing the team's performance. This year seems to have started with a team tired of being pushed...almost defiant. Recall the game early this year when Brown said Keegan mouthed F-you after being threatened with being pulled from the game. Certainly an out-of-character response to what was going on his rookie year and approaching a lack of respect. It is not wise to "ride a horse hard and put him away wet" as the saying goes.
I was not aware of this. Very concerning. And when it's out of character for a guy like Keegan, you have to look to the coach for not handling that relationship well. Seems to be Trouble in Paradise.

Very concerning. If this season ends up being a disaster - who knows - do we fire Brown and promote Jordy Fernandez?

Status
Not open for further replies.