[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The New York Post? Who's tagline ought to be, "We occasionally print in English"? I'm supposed to take what they have to say seriously?
Have no comment on your whack source either huh? NBA Finals was no where in sight and thats your own source not mine.
What do you mean, no comment? I already commented: my comment was, The Finals ratings are not on that list, because that specific list shows only shows the cable ratings, and the Finals are not broadcast on cable. You didn't read the whole page. Which is weird, because you would have had to actually scroll past the part where the NBA Finals ratings were, in order to get to the part that you took a screen shot of. Stop reading the internet wrong.

"yOuRe DoInG tHe InTeRnEt WrOnG"

A semantics game can always be outplayed by facts. Ratings are lower than they ever have been, less fans are watching. Who cares about marketing? Commercials are the norm and will always be a part of cable or free live streaming services

RATINGS ARE LOW AND THE NBA GOT BEAT OUT BY TLC SHOWS
Since you couldn't be bothered, I did your homework for you: in the sixty days since the restart, the NBA has only been beat in the cable ratings seven times. They were:
  • Monday, Aug. 3 (90-day) (Feature prime-time game: lakers/Jazz)
  • Tuesday, Aug. 11 (Fox News) (Feature prime-time game: Pelicans/Kings)
  • Wednesday, Aug. 12 (RHOBH) (Feature prime-time game: Clippers/Nuggets)
  • Wednesday, Aug. 19 (DNC) (Feature prime-time game: Mavericks/Clippers Game 2)
  • Sunday, Aug. 23 (90-day) (Feature prime-time game: Nuggets/Jazz)
  • Sunday, Aug. 30 (90-day) (Feature prime-time game: Nuggets/Jazz)
  • Thursday, Sept. 17 (Football double-header) (Feature prime-time game: Heat/Celtics)

So, the NBA lost in the ratings seven times (twice, ironically, to politics), and either the Nuggets or the Jazz (or both) were involved in four of them. Maybe the solution is as simple as to stop featuring the Nuggets and the Jazz?

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Fortunately for the NBA, the 2020 Finals don't have to go head-to-head against the 2019 Finals. But, what's funny is how these sites all have the nuance that your argument lacks. They all recognize the myriad factors that have contributed to the ratings, whereas your argument has consisted of pointing at the ratings, and going, "Failing NBA. Sad. Hurr durr."

EDIT - And let me repeat, once again, for the record, that I never said that the NBA ratings weren't down. If you hadn't lied and said that the Finals had lost to 90-day Fiancé, we wouldn't be here.

You have indeed consistently stated that you "don't know." You're also, in my opinion, doing the most to posit, "But, what if, though?", and I'm not sure what your endgame is?
Simple discussion. The NBA business plans appear to assume increasing revenue streams. A changing market is a threat. I know on a few shows I would rather pay a small fee than lose eight minutes in a thirty minute slot.

Sort of off topic but in the early eighties where magazines were the rage, despite the racks of selections, around twenty conglomerates controlled the great majority. Since then, how few now controls the sources? That is also a potential problem.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Simple discussion. The NBA business plans appear to assume increasing revenue streams. A changing market is a threat. I know on a few shows I would rather pay a small fee than lose eight minutes in a thirty minute slot.
I guess I simply don't see the point of the discussion, then. I think that anybody concerned about the future of the NBA, or who thinks that it's something worthy of discussion, is underestimating the NBA's ability to adapt to changes in technology. But I guess only time will tell. It's not interesting speculation to me, but your mileage obviously varies.

I guess I simply don't see the point of the discussion, then. I think that anybody concerned about the future of the NBA, or who thinks that it's something worthy of discussion, is underestimating the NBA's ability to adapt to changes in technology. But I guess only time will tell. It's not interesting speculation to me, but your mileage obviously varies.
You are right, my interest is definitely different than yours. During the relocation saga, I was more interested/entertained by what was happening off the court than on it. Business elite vs Political elite. But that is in the past and talked to death.

I am curious if I will go back watching or will other things (including entertainment) continue to take my focus. Like someone binge drinking, will sometimes enjoy binge watching. Time will tell.

Great podcast by Grant, a lot of people are tired of the politics and the ratings show the result of woke culture in sports

My original post. Your argument is based off of something I heard off the news and my use of "apparently" is not concrete. If im wrong, im wrong about that one minute detail.

Youve been trying to prove me wrong when ive constantly shown you that ratings are down, then you wanted to keep playing hopscotch with topics trying to validate your point. While my WHOLE point is that ratings are down. Im wrong about the 90 day fiance thing? Cool brah, i was wrong. But that wasnt my main point whatsoever and you want to keep playing semantics.

When I bring up that NBA finals are still at an all time low, you want to skip to some other invaliidities of my sources. Dont like NY Times, okay cool. Pick one of the other several sources I provided.

I dont know what your deal is, but whatever it is I hope your life gets easier. Seems like just because youre a staff member you have this special pedastal you have to defend. Youre human bro and you can midtakes as I do.

As for politics, there's a certain threshold. Where that threshold is, that's for each person to decide.
Im sure political issues in sports has caused some viewers to turn off their TVs but it pales in comparison to the real reason ratings are down. Attention span. Our culture has moved is such a way that we can’t sit through 10 minutes of something without browsing YouTube and ten other sites at the same time. People skip the games and just watch 2 minute clips of highlights at their leisure.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Im sure political issues in sports has caused some viewers to turn off their TVs but it pales in comparison to the real reason ratings are down. Attention span. Our culture has moved is such a way that we can’t sit through 10 minutes of something without browsing YouTube and ten other sites at the same time. People skip the games and just watch 2 minute clips of highlights at their leisure.
There certainly is something to be said about NBA basketball being the one major sport that requires active viewing rather than MLB and the NFL, where "all the good stuff" is so spaced out and infrequent that you can largely fiddle around on twitter for most of the game without missing everything. The NBA's problem is that it's so high paced (and so over-broadcast) that it becomes hard to just put on for a couple of hours in the background while doing other reallife stuff.

I know personally (and this is also largely thanks to my schedule as an ex-pat leading to sports mostly airing during my workday) I find myself having to turn off whatever random NBA game is on my TV because it's too distracting/hard to get stuff done while I can largely focus on work with an NFL game in the background and occasionally turn to watch when something exciting happens.

In it's drive to make games so exciting, high-paced, easier to watch, and high scoring, it feels like the league has somehow managed to distance itself from any of these things.

Also the bubble has been going on for like three months now and I sorta tuned out mid-September.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
My original post. Your argument is based off of something I heard off the news and my use of "apparently" is not concrete. If im wrong, im wrong about that one minute detail.
I would classify confusing a throwaway seeding game for the NBA Finals as more than a "minute" detail, especially when you kept doubling and tripling down on it. But you would probably just cry "Semantics!" again, so whatever.

Youve been trying to prove me wrong...
I did prove you wrong. You just don't care that I proved you wrong, because you consider the only part of your statement that I was actually arguing against to be a "minute detail."

... when ive constantly shown you that ratings are down...
Which I've never disputed. I never said that ratings weren't down. What EYE said was that the ratings being down isn't the big deal you think it is.

When I bring up that NBA finals are still at an all time low, you want to skip to some other invaliidities of my sources. Dont like NY Times, okay cool. Pick one of the other several sources I provided.
I'm fine with most of your sources because, again, I've never disputed the ratings being down. What I dispute is your reductive and specious claims about why the ratings are down. I don't have a problem with most of your sources, because most of your sources have approached the subject with about a hundred times more thought, perspective and nuance than you have.

Having said that, I was quasi-facetious when I said it before, but I was still being half-serious: the NBA lost to 90-day Fiancé three times, and all three times the featured prime time game involved the Utah Jazz. So... for all we know, the solution might really be as simple as for the NBA to stop featuring Jazz games?

Seems like just because youre a staff member you have this special pedastal you have to defend.
What "pedastal" do you think I'm defending?

Youre human bro and you can midtakes as I do.
This is a set-up, right? 'Cause it feels like a set-up.

Great podcast by Grant, a lot of people are tired of the politics and the ratings show the result of woke culture in sports
Speaking of admitting to mistakes, I need to apologize to @whozit, because I expended a considerable amount of energy arguing with them that tautologies didn't need to be stated, and that it didn't have to be explained that there have been multiple reasons for the ratings decline, because we're all intelligent enough to understand that, without being told. And yet, some people are determined to prove that, indeed, we are not all intelligent enough to understand that, without being told.

I’m sure the NBA owners are seeing profits shrink. Caused by empty arenas and the reduced number of games. The Bubble salvaged what revenue it could. Covid was the primary cause of the loss of NBA profits.

Any measure of the other causes of the profit loss are going to be hard to gauge. This makes it hard to argue a side in this debate.

I’m sure the NBA owners are seeing profits shrink. Caused by empty arenas and the reduced number of games. The Bubble salvaged what revenue it could. Covid was the primary cause of the loss of NBA profits.

Any measure of the other causes of the profit loss are going to be hard to gauge. This makes it hard to argue a side in this debate.
Been a strange screwed year. Until the new normal settles in, who knows even what the actual facts are?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Been a strange screwed year. Until the new normal settles in, who knows even what the actual facts are?
Yeah, considering how absolutely insane this entire year has been, it's going to really be hard to gage ratings, revenue, etc. until teams are back playing normal games in front of crowds in their home cities next season.

I’m so sick of politics in sports.
If one more person mentions Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, Muhammad Ali going to jail in protest of the illegal Vietnam War, or Magic Johnson and Arthur Ashe changing the discussion about AIDS - I will never root for an athletic event again.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If one more person mentions Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, Muhammad Ali going to jail in protest of the illegal Vietnam War, or Magic Johnson and Arthur Ashe changing the discussion about AIDS - I will never root for an athletic event again.
I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, but you probably ought to root quick and root hard before it's over, because I can guarantee your line in the sand is going to be crossed pretty soon.

I bowed out of the playoffs pretty quick myself. Didn't watch a minute of the finals.

According to the ratings, I wasn't alone.

More likely, they'll no-sell the information, entirely, like Road Warrior Hawk, taking a piledriver, or call it "fake news," or something.
^^
There will be some exploding heads from the cognitive dissonance this post will create.
Couldn't tell who was surveyed or anything else from the snap of the twitter feed. Since so far I am finding myself in the 46% group? Who knows. When all the dust has settled and the new norm is established, we will have a better idea of the validity of any of the pundits on any side.

Status
Not open for further replies.