IT = Rumor of 3/24 offer from Pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So all these playoff/ big market teams after IT, yet some on here are willing to just let him walk. Yes they want him as a 6th man type, but theres no reason he cant transition to that role for us if and when we are a playoff caliber squad.
Or we could use his value as a 6th man to bring in something for our team instead. I hardly think anyone's advocating that we just let IT walk

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So all these playoff/ big market teams after IT, yet some on here are willing to just let him walk. Yes they want him as a 6th man type, but theres no reason he cant transition to that role for us if and when we are a playoff caliber squad.
I don't think anyone is advocating that we let him walk. If the price gets too steep, we negotiate a S & T.

Or we could use his value as a 6th man to bring in something for our team instead. I hardly think anyone's advocating that we just let IT walk
Rondo would be ideal, I want no part of Smith, overpaid and another iso scorer at heart to go along with Cousins and Gay? No thanks.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 20m
And doing bystander math, the fact that both DET and BOS have interest in IT may bode well for a Rondo or Smith play.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 19m
I continue to hear that this situation will most likely play out like the Evans deal last year, either IT leaving outright or a minor deal.
I'm getting the feeling of IT and Ben McClemore for Rajon Rondo here.

No way Celts move Rondo for anything less than IT and Ben McClemore (or future 1st rounder). Now it makes sense why the Kings drafted Nik Stauskas.

A Josh Smith trade may come shortly after, if we can somehow get Rajon Rondo.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
@BrettNBA: Dallas planning strong push for Isaiah Thomas, source said. They don't want Harris or Felton as starting PG.”
The thing about Dallas is that they have to wait for Carmelo to make his choice first. Boston can make a move now and might be pressured into doing so to beat out the secondary rush on IT.

On a bad team yes his ego will come into play, but if we start winning that cures ego's. Do you think Manu would accept a 6th man role on a 20 win team? I like players with the mentality of IT, why should he smile and say nothing playing behind inferior talent, its not like playing behind Vasquez provides wins or better play. People praise Stauskas for having the same cocky attitude, yet IT is critized for it.

Absolutely no one.

I'm giddy. IT seems to have value which means there might actually be decent sign and trade possibilities that might actually help us. I was worried no one would want him.

Jerry Reynolds you magnificent bastard, you might be right (see quote below).

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The risk is whether or not he signs after one year
Even if Rondo walked, we'd have a helluva lot more cap space than we do now. Sign IT and that limits our backcourt flexibility for years. It's IT and little backcourt flexibility for years, or a year of Rondo and he re-signs, or a year of Rondo and immediate backcourt flexibility and more cap space.

The risk is overblown.

On a bad team yes his ego will come into play, but if we start winning that cures ego's. Do you think Manu would accept a 6th man role on a 20 win team? I like players with the mentality of IT, why should he smile and say nothing playing behind inferior talent, its not like playing behind Vasquez provides wins or better play. People praise Stauskas for having the same cocky attitude, yet IT is critized for it.
hes gonna be gone soon. it's just a matter of time bro.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I haven't seen this much "eve of free agency" activity since July 1, 2001. Sure wish we hadn't lost those threads. :)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Going after Rondo with draft picks and Ben McLemore was risky. In a sign and trade for IT, it's a no brainer without other assets involved. With Ben included it's still a risk but considering how badly this team needs a player like Rondo, I could probably be talked into it.

okay, if we flip IT & ben or others for rondo then turn around and flip JT + garbage for smith..

we'll have

cousins
smith
gay
stauskas
rondo

as a starting line up

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Going after Rondo with draft picks and Ben McLemore was risky. In a sign and trade for IT, it's a no brainer without other assets involved. With Ben included it's still a risk but considering how badly this team needs a player like Rondo, I could probably be talked into it.
Might not have to include Ben. Could possibly offer them Terry's expiring instead. Their frontcourt is also largely poopoo as well so you miiiiight be able to drop them JT

could we even include additional players. Thought S&T of a restricted FA cant be bundled with another player, or in other words cant sign and trade IT along with another one of our players. Anyone know for certain?

I'm giddy. IT seems to have value which means there might actually be decent sign and trade possibilities that might actually help us. I was worried no one would want him.
The only reason to negotiate a sign and trade is to keep the original team from matching.

If reports are true that the Kings have no interest in IT over $7m per year, competing interest from other teams would actually mean there is less of a chance of a S&T since the resulting offer is likely something far over what the Kings would be willing to match.

Even if Rondo walked, we'd have a helluva lot more cap space than we do now. Sign IT and that limits our backcourt flexibility for years. It's IT and little backcourt flexibility for years, or a year of Rondo and he re-signs, or a year of Rondo and immediate backcourt flexibility and more cap space.

The risk is overblown.
Agreed. Lets make a deal. Besides, just about anything that means anything, involves at least some 'risk'

Is this the Bruski thing? Not sure I'd count on that as an official offer just yet.
That is just living in denial mate. For all his flaws, IT is a good player and one of the top free agents in the league. Teams will look at him and see a good player. Is he a great fit for this team? I don't think so but he will get paid no doubt about it. I think a number of people here thought that he will get offers around $8 million per season. That is what the market is for that player.

I am by no means IT hommie but I am not going to trash him and make him seem like he is lesser player than he really is. He has his flaws but he is no worse than the likes of Hill, Jennings et al who all got a deal in the similar price range that IT will get.

We made a blow not trading him at the deadline or not bringing in a starting PG to keep IT on the bench which would not give him the freedom or chance to put up the numbers he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.