The Official NBA Draft Day Thread 2014 Edition

During the offseason, I've...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't think it's Thaddeus. I think (wishful thinking?) Philly saw Charlotte at #9 taking Stauskas and they offered us a second round pick (one of 5 this year) to move up to 8 and get him. Taking Payton at #10 when they already have MCW means there's hope. They need a shooter in the worst way there right now with MCW, Noel, Embiid as their core.

I don't see many great shotblockers left in the draft. I don't see how we could fix that problem. I also don't see Stauskas as a role playing shooter. I believe he is much more than that. A role playing shooter for me is Morrow, James Jones, Steve Novak. Stauskas can provide much more than shooting. Obviously it's my personal opinion and I could be totale wrong, but I hope not.
I agree.
Stauskas was just a guy last year, and this year...he took major leaps to become a really impressive player.
If he was just a shooter I would not be happy, but he was one of the most impressive players finishing the college season.

Guess we sit back and hope for a trade. If we don't trade Ben today, his value likely goes down as if we start shopping him teams will know we need to move him. You usually aren't going to get the value you normally would when teams know you're almost forced to move a player.

If Ben is here when training camp starts, his value will go down even further.

This is more about the position it puts us in than the actual pick itself.

Problem is a) we have Ben on the roster and used last year's pick on a non-defensive SG and b) we've got more important holes to fill than adding a shooter.

Role playing shooters are not that tough to come by in free agency. We just blew back to back high picks on them.
Stauskas is much better and more polished than Ben. He's not some Kyle Korver who stands around waiting for the ball to be passed to him. He can create for himself and passes fairly well.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Guess we sit back and hope for a trade. If we don't trade Ben today, his value likely goes down as if we start shopping him teams will know we need to move him. You usually aren't going to get the value you normally would when teams know you're almost forced to move a player.

If Ben is here when training camp starts, his value will go down even further.

This is more about the position it puts us in than the actual pick itself.
Well you need more than one sg. Bmac with stauskas backing him up

Vonleh has bust written all over him for me. I'm not mas we pass ed on him. Of course this means he will be an hall of famer, but this is what I think right now.

Stauskas makes sense. He provides shooting, which we need, and he's not just a shooter. I think is a better player than many people here think. I believe many people are scadde because he's white, and it looks like we are picks g Jimmer 2.0.

Now i'd love to trade for Rondo. I'd love it.
Agree.... didn't want Vonleh. He was the only guy in the projected top 8 I was really hoping went before our pick.

According to analytics the sg spot cost us about 7 wins last year. Stuaskas can single handedly make a big difference on this team next year. And this doesn't mean we're giving up on Ben at all... both guys could get 25+mpg. Or, if Ben doesn't improve now it's not gonna completely sink us.

We needed a shooting guard anyway you slice it.... absolutely could not go into next season with Ben and Terry. Problem solved.

The Magic will take Dario Saric at 12, but are likely to trade him to the Sixers for the rights to Elfrid Payton, per league source.

lol philly looking to tank next season also!

embiid might sit out whole year. saric won't come over for 2. way to go!

Stauskas is much better and more polished than Ben. He's not some Kyle Korver who stands around waiting for the ball to be passed to him. He can create for himself and passes fairly well.
Again, he might be more ready than Ben but he has less upside and doens't address our biggest needs on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.