Youngman speaks out/Organizational handling of injuries (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He's really dialing it up. Whomever advised bringing in Vlade, Brandon Williams and the current training staff should be removed from any basketball ops conversations going forward. In regards to the cheerleader discussion, the decision remains relevant because it illustrates a decision-matrix based on something other than customer/fan experience, it demonstrated a lack of loyalty to hard working employees, and the manner in which it was communicated to those employees was ham-handed at best. The latter two points stick with me the most, as they show a severe lack in what I believe are ingrained Sacramento values.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it much better.

He's really dialing it up. Whomever advised bringing in Vlade, Brandon Williams and the current training staff should be removed from any basketball ops conversations going forward. In regards to the cheerleader discussion, the decision remains relevant because it illustrates a decision-matrix based on something other than customer/fan experience, it demonstrated a lack of loyalty to hard working employees, and the manner in which it was communicated to those employees was ham-handed at best. The latter two points stick with me the most, as they show a severe lack in what I believe are ingrained Sacramento values.
I can't tell yet if my reaction is bundled up with my general mood created by the news of Kobe's passing... but hearing about this put a big dent in my respect for the org. This type of "diversity" hiring is a phenomenally disloyal action, under the guise of moral righteousness. It's a plague on our society. Saddened but can't say I'm surprised to hear it's made it's way to the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: We hear what you all are saying, but tread softly. We do not want to end up arguing "moral righteousness" or "diversity" or any other political buzzwords. Thanks...

It does if those decisions are coming from a faction of ownership that has the clout to impact the decisions made about what goes on the court.
No, it doesn't. All your doing is trying to find commonality in decision making. That's distorting the original point.

Whether or not the KINGS organization has a dance team or not in no way impacts their ability to field a winning basketball team. One thing literally has nothing to do with the other.

I mean, since the basketball team has sucked for 14 years, does that mean the dance team wasn't any good all that time either? Since, you know, those making the decisions with the losing basketball program were also involved in decisions regarding the dance team???

It's clear we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, it doesn't. All your doing is trying to find commonality in decision making. That's distorting the original point.

Whether or not the KINGS organization has a dance team or not in no way impacts their ability to field a winning basketball team. One thing literally has nothing to do with the other.

I mean, since the basketball team has sucked for 14 years, does that mean the dance team wasn't any good all that time either? Since, you know, those making the decisions with the losing basketball program were also involved in decisions regarding the dance team???

It's clear we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Its not about just fielding a winning basketball team. It's about the fan experience in total. Why do you think teams have mascots, dancers, etc? The philosophy of parts of the organization can be legitimately questioned. But I'll also agree to disagree.

There is commonality at issue here. Your inability to see it doesn't negate it.

Recently, I listened to Carmichael Dave discuss how the organization handles injured players. More specifically, how they report or don't report on those injuries. Marvin Bagley was the person at the center of the discussion.

What exactly is wrong with him? Is he day to day, one week two weeks? Holmes as well, day to day, a week, 4 weeks, what's the deal? Why not be as specific as conditions allow? There does see to be a weird veil of secrecy regarding injuries and the status of players this season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There are no easy answers. There is some discussion touching on this in the Pete Youngman thread in the Off the Court forum.

Seems like both my favorite teams do this. 49ers under Shanahan and Lynch are very tight lipped on injuries, but at least the Niners are awesome lol. Youngmans comments do not instill a lot of confidence. Still irritated with how he was essentially forced out
There’s more of a strategic reason to be coy about injuries in football, though, right? Only one game a week, so keep your opponent guessing to hamper their preparation as much as possible? Maybe that’s what the Kings think they’re doing...?

There’s more of a strategic reason to be coy about injuries in football, though, right? Only one game a week, so keep your opponent guessing to hamper their preparation as much as possible? Maybe that’s what the Kings think they’re doing...?
Oh absolutely. Shanahan does it as a ploy to gain an advantage over his opponent. As long as they have them listed on the injury report, he’s not obligated to go into detail. I totally get it, just frustrating when you want to know how someone like dee ford is looking for next weeks game and beyond lol
Now with the kings that could be the case, but I am not getting that sense..especially on the heels of Youngman’s tweets of late .

There's a difference between hurting and being injured. You shouldn't play if you"re injured. Hurting and discomfort is part of every sport. Some athletes can play through pain and some can't.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Foot sprain sounds like plantar fasciitis. I had it when I played. Should’ve rested it more, but played thru it nevertheless.

Just speculating.
Peja also suffered from it. I still cannot see a Good Feet commercial without thinking about him.

If this isn't throwing down the gauntlet, I don't know what is:

Pete Youngman is a class act and his love for the players, the team and the fans is pretty obvious. He's a powerful voice for the rest of us.
Happy that he put out this clarification, before speculation would run rampant.
Still, he makes a valid point. Why can't the team be less vague about their updates? It's not as if it is crucial info for our play-off seeding...

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Wonder what Grant will say if/when this is brought up to him. During one of his Bagley rants he also called out every single “idiot and moron” who had something negative to say about the current training staff.

I’m pretty sure Youngman with all his experience and expertise is neither of those things.