Would Warriors trade No. 2 pick for Kings' Marvin Bagley? Could make sense

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date
Restrict his minutes? Restrict his minutes? We’re way past that. Either this bird flies or it doesn’t.
The Kings are not going to be in any Playoff contention so why should it matter?

Im just suggesting MB3 be handled carefully as the Sixers handled Embiid or how the Kings handled the darling of KF Giles.

IMO it is absurd to play MB3 big minutes until he gets a considerable amount of run.

I don't get it? Why run an often injured young player heavy minutes when it is not necessary?
There is no specific injury to protect Bagley from. So limiting his minutes is not achieving anything. Giles was recovering from multiple surgeries due to severe injuries that have compromised his joints. No such issue with Bagley. Just some bad luck and possibly poor performance from the training staff in diagnosing his first foot injury this season. If you don't diagnose it correctly, how can you effectively treat the injury?

So how can we talk about Bagley without also talking about the Kngs medical and training staff?
Sure seems like we took a step back after they moved on from Pete Youngman. But, in all fairness, it may not have been about anyone's incompetence, but rather about the policies that were adopted in which all they gave was vague high-level summaries of injuries. It made them look incompetent and without accountability. And all that just served to breed suspicion on our part. Maybe one or two of those new hires were incompetent. Or maybe not. I might be willing to give the staff the benefit of the doubt if we didn't have policies that set them up to fail with the fans.

There is no specific injury to protect Bagley from. So limiting his minutes is not achieving anything. Giles was recovering from multiple surgeries due to severe injuries that have compromised his joints. No such issue with Bagley. Just some bad luck and possibly poor performance from the training staff in diagnosing his first foot injury this season. If you don't diagnose it correctly, how can you effectively treat the injury?
OK, I read and understood what you wrote. I think we just disagree.

The Kings are not going to be in any Playoff contention so why should it matter?

Im just suggesting MB3 be handled carefully as the Sixers handled Embiid or how the Kings handled the darling of KF Giles.

IMO it is absurd to play MB3 big minutes until he gets a considerable amount of run.
We just disagree. I don’t think Bagley has any chronic injury or physical issue for which playing him limited minutes would allow him to escape further injury or health decline. If he’s over his past injuries, then he’s healthy. Period. If an injury is still present, then he’s not healthy. In that case, he either doesn’t play or he plays limited minutes. But you’re not arguing that he’s not healthy and, therefore, should get limited minutes. You’re just saying he is prone to injury and if we limit his minutes, he’s less likely to be injured again. Right? But to take that logic to its conclusion, we shouldn’t play him at all to avoid further injury. Where does it end?

I'm not saying to limit his minutes forever. Limit them for 10 games. If no injury then increase them a few. Then so on and so on. I just think an incremental approach is worth a shot to build him up in a progressive way.

What has happened so far has not worked. And I am OK with a new medical staff.

I agree with you from a talent perspective. Bagley had himself some great games when healthy and looked like the kind of player who could turn into a 25ppg double double machine (although whether or not these gaudy numbers would actually lead to wins with his skill/set lack of defense is another conversation).

But will he ever STAY healthy? Every time he hits the court he ends up stubbing his toe or something and that leads to him being out for 4 months.

Tricky gamble. Without the health issues I'd laugh at the idea of trading Bagley for the #2 in a weak draft. But who knows if we'll ever get more than 20 games a year out of him. The health problems are a MAJOR concern.
Sure, but i say we at least give the guy another season with an actual training camp so we can see what we have.

i really don’t understand the rush (not you) from some of the fans here. We are NOT making the playoffs next season without a few miracles and luck on our side anyhow. Might as well see what he can actually do

I’m not ready to deem Bagley ‘injury prone’ after two seasons

Sure, but i say we at least give the guy another season with an actual training camp so we can see what we have.

i really don’t understand the rush (not you) from some of the fans here. We are NOT making the playoffs next season without a few miracles and luck on our side anyhow. Might as well see what he can actually do

I’m not ready to deem Bagley ‘injury prone’ after two seasons
I don’t think Bagley is injury prone. Injuries happen to every player throughout a season. I question whether Bagley will ever play through an injury. My beliefs are rooted in his grandpa’s experiences with the NBA/ABA.

I don’t think Bagley is injury prone. Injuries happen to every player throughout a season. I question whether Bagley will ever play through an injury. My beliefs are rooted in his grandpa’s experiences with the NBA/ABA.
I’m sorry, I have to step in here because my brain is melting. I’m asking this honestly and in good faith:

Are you saying you think Bagley won’t play through pain because a slanderous accusation and suspension ended his grandfather’s career in the ABA?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We just disagree. I don’t think Bagley has any chronic injury or physical issue for which playing him limited minutes would allow him to escape further injury or health decline. If he’s over his past injuries, then he’s healthy. Period. If an injury is still present, then he’s not healthy. In that case, he either doesn’t play or he plays limited minutes. But you’re not arguing that he’s not healthy and, therefore, should get limited minutes. You’re just saying he is prone to injury and if we limit his minutes, he’s less likely to be injured again. Right? But to take that logic to its conclusion, we shouldn’t play him at all to avoid further injury. Where does it end?
I think one thing that would help, is Bagley expanding his game away from the basket. Right now, or at least when last seen, most of his game was at the basket, where your more likely to come down on someone's foot, or have your feet taken out from under you. Being able to hit a 16 to 18 foot jump shot would help a great deal, and hopefully hit the three as well. I agree that none of his injuries are of the chronic variety, which is a good thing. I'd be more worried if his ACL was torn.

Bagley is an elite athlete and his game should be built around that athleticism. He shouldn't be trying to post up the Gobert's and Steven Adams of the world. He should be out-quicking them from the top of the key.

I think one thing that would help, is Bagley expanding his game away from the basket. Right now, or at least when last seen, most of his game was at the basket, where your more likely to come down on someone's foot, or have your feet taken out from under you. Being able to hit a 16 to 18 foot jump shot would help a great deal, and hopefully hit the three as well. I agree that none of his injuries are of the chronic variety, which is a good thing. I'd be more worried if his ACL was torn.

Bagley is an elite athlete and his game should be built around that athleticism. He shouldn't be trying to post up the Gobert's and Steven Adams of the world. He should be out-quicking them from the top of the key.
This is what I want him to focus on but isn’t he shooting more 3’s than mid range shots?! No need to be a 30% three point shooter he’ll impact the game and be a better player with a good mid range

I’m sorry, I have to step in here because my brain is melting. I’m asking this honestly and in good faith:

Are you saying you think Bagley won’t play through pain because a slanderous accusation and suspension ended his grandfather’s career in the ABA?
I’m saying he won’t play through pain, because his grandfather got blackballed, which, IMO, has impressed upon him the need to take a long term perspective on everything. Protect yourself, your career before the team’s interest. Any chance of an injury becoming worse, if he were to play, and he’s gong to sit. Until proven otherwise.

I agree with this. Would add the ability to face up, pass from, and attack the hole from 16 to 18. There were two easy linear developments that he didn’t exhibit from season 1 to season 2—absolutely no physical development (while Ayton and JJJ became monsters) and a failure to shake his black hole tendencies (rarely giving the ball up, never assisting or creating for others).

I’m saying he won’t play through pain, because his grandfather got blackballed, which, IMO, has impressed upon him the need to take a long term perspective on everything. Protect yourself, your career before the team’s interest. Any chance of an injury becoming worse, if he were to play, and he’s gong to sit. Until proven otherwise.
Big difference in pain and an injury. It almost appears that you are claiming to read the young mans mind?

Big difference in pain and an injury. It almost appears that you are claiming to read the young mans mind?
There was a time in my life when I’d go nonstop until I literally couldn’t walk anymore. Whether it be plantar fasciitis, a knee or an ankle sprain. Now, the slightest twinge and I decelerate. Age, a desire to stay healthy for the long term...

Ja Morant, a PG, played the final four games in the bubble with a fractured thumb. Bags missed like 6 weeks with a fractured thumb. Just saying...until proven otherwise.