Would Warriors trade No. 2 pick for Kings' Marvin Bagley? Could make sense

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
It's insane to suggest we would have to send a pick to make this happen. Straight up I think we'd still end up with egg all over our faces.

Realize this draft is a bit muddy since there was no tourney this year, but Bags would probably top the class based on info we have. Probably better value for lower expectations if we draft at 12.

2 years of Bagley on a rookie deal or 4 years of the #2 on a rookie deal? I'd pull the trigger and likely take Killian Hayes. Those extra 2 years are valuable and something a lot of people here likely will overlook. Now if it's #2 for Bagley & #12...I'm hanging up the phone.

Taking this a step further, perhaps it's two trades:

GSW Gets: Harrison Barnes, Richaun Holmes, 2020 DET 2nd, & 2020 SAC 2nd
SAC Gets: Andrew Wiggins, Jordan Poole. & 2021 MIN 1st

GSW Gets: Marvin Bagley & Nemanja Bjelica
SAC Gets: 2020 GSW 1st & $17.2 mil TPE

GSW Roster
PG - Curry / Bowman
SG - Thompson / Lee / Mulder
SF - Barnes / Paschall / Toscano-Anderson
PF - Green / Bjelica / Chriss / Smailagic
C - Bagley / Holmes / Looney
Picks - #35 / #43 / #48 / #51

SAC Roster
PG - Fox / Joseph / Guy
SG - Bogdanovic / Hield / Poole
SF - Wiggins / Jeffries / James
PF - Parker
C -
2020 Picks - #2 / #12 / #52

2021 Picks - SAC 1st / MIN 1st / SAC 2nd / MEM 2nd
2022 Picks - SAC 1st / SAC 2nd

I would then look to move Bogdan & Hield for future assets and do a complete rebuild while holding onto Fox. If we offer Fox a 5 year extension, our books would be completely clean (looking at you Wiggins) after the 2022-23 season and we would still have Fox under contract for another 3 seasons to take the next step to build a contender around him.

Because it's highway robbery and they are of high moral character?
Bagley doesn't have this kind of value. The pick is also small potatoes; once you're dealing with picks that high its a tall order to even move up a few spots.

Organizations don't trade Top 3 picks for depreciated 3rd year prospects on the fast track to becoming a bust. They'd usually much rather take a chance on the mystery box. This was also just some musings from a Warriors beat writer; I doubt the organization is seriously considering this.

Especially since this is the team that exploded after they cut out a Bagley-type big. He has no use to a team trying to get back into contention and they wouldn't use him.

Bagley doesn't have this kind of value. The pick is also small potatoes; once you're dealing with picks that high its a tall order to even move up a few spots.

Organizations don't trade Top 3 picks for depreciated 3rd year prospects on the fast track to becoming a bust. They'd usually much rather take a chance on the mystery box. This was also just some musings from a Warriors beat writer; I doubt the organization is seriously considering this.

Especially since this is the team that exploded after they cut out a Bagley-type big. He has no use to a team trying to get back into contention and they wouldn't use him.
Ordinarily I’d agree with you, but the whole premise the writer is taking is that this year is different, that the draft doesn’t seem to have a whole lot of variance between #2 and #12 pick quality. So if the Warriors trade down, they’ll get a player roughly the same caliber as they would at #2, AND be able to pick up an asset essentially for free, according to the writer.

And I guess that would mean the reason the Kings would agree to this, is because they’re stupid, and don’t realize, as the writer makes explicitly clear, there isn’t much difference between #2 and #12 this year. I have no real idea if that’s his position; He never actually says much of anything about the Kings.

But in building his case for all the reasons why the Warriors should, he explains pretty clearly why the Kings shouldn’t. Why give up any asset, regardless of what you think of it, to move up in a draft you just said has no real difference in quality from #2 to #12?

The injuries this past season were a huge disappointment and setback but his only crime in year one was not being Luka.

There's no way to undo the pick. It sucked. Get over it and don't make it worse by sending him to blow up with another team.
I'm rooting for MBIII next year. I think Cap Factorial said in another thread that half the fan base is bugging cause we lost Weynen Gabriel so rooting for MBIII to leave is nuts.

How many lottery picks have the Kings had over the last dozen drafts? The answer is 12. And it'd be 13 if Vlade hadn't traded last year's first rounder in that terrible salary dump deal.

And now we think that stocking up on draft picks in maybe the weakest draft since 2000 without a GM in place is the right move?

If this is a Hinkie like tank job then sure. Dump everybody but Fox and take on other team's bad contracts to accumulate assets. But don't load up on this year's draft. Spread those picks over the next few drafts.

And dealing Bagley now is selling low, which would be a very Kangz thing to do. You want to dump Bagley? Fine, let him start next year and put up numbers and get a better deal at the deadline.

Sure, there's a risk he's hurt yet again but in this draft dealing him and #12 for #2 when there's a significant chance the player taken at #12 turns out better than the guy at #2 is a worse risk IMO.

Is there anyone at #2 in this draft (or #6 for that matter) that you believe is a franchise player? Hayes? Ball? Wiseman?

This is one year where I'd rather have a couple late lottery picks than one pick in the top 5 or 6. I think there will be some very good players when all is said and done but I don't see obvious stars at the top.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Ham really pushing these Buddy deals. If they think moving Buddy and keeping Walton is the answer we're heading into another era of some pretty disappointing results that will end up in the same place anyway.

As for a Hawks deal I like Reddish and 6. That would be great value. Adding the 12, eh, that's tough but if it's a salary dump and young talent it makes sense if a rebuild is in order. Of course rebuilding when your core is 27-28 at it's oldest spots and it's two most prominent pieces are about to be maxed spots is pretty stupid. That means somebody really F'd up and I'm not sure it was all the guy they just fired.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
How many lottery picks have the Kings had over the last dozen drafts? The answer is 12. And it'd be 13 if Vlade hadn't traded last year's first rounder in that terrible salary dump deal.

And now we think that stocking up on draft picks in maybe the weakest draft since 2000 without a GM in place is the right move?

If this is a Hinkie like tank job then sure. Dump everybody but Fox and take on other team's bad contracts to accumulate assets. But don't load up on this year's draft. Spread those picks over the next few drafts.

And dealing Bagley now is selling low, which would be a very Kangz thing to do. You want to dump Bagley? Fine, let him start next year and put up numbers and get a better deal at the deadline.

Sure, there's a risk he's hurt yet again but in this draft dealing him and #12 for #2 when there's a significant chance the player taken at #12 turns out better than the guy at #2 is a worse risk IMO.

Is there anyone at #2 in this draft (or #6 for that matter) that you believe is a franchise player? Hayes? Ball? Wiseman?

This is one year where I'd rather have a couple late lottery picks than one pick in the top 5 or 6. I think there will be some very good players when all is said and done but I don't see obvious stars at the top.
And it looks like the ensuing drafts might just be getting weaker if you're idea is to tank with the rules changes and a lot more up in the air if the age restriction goes away. Sure it's hard to find a Kobe now but you have way more intel on players with one year of college under their belts limiting your ability to totally mess up your draft. The Kings biggest problem has always been never committing to the young talent and drafting players at positions so that they have an impossible hill to climb. Coaches are always going to be in a survival mode so playing the player that gives them a better shot to win in that moment is going to happen. Drafting Stauskas with Ben in front of him and never giving them a shot to perform. Jimmer never really got a green light. TRob was in a stacked front court of non-complimentary pieces. Willie didn't fit but that was a hideous draft too. Papa G same thing. On the other end they took some low ceiling players and never gave them a real role. At some point you have to draft players and at the very least let them produce so they accumulate value. If you draft Jimmer, good, let him shoot his way either out of the league or to some value. Just pick a freaking direction for once. Don't draft lotto pick after lotto pick with the idea that in 10 years they might be really good. No, shine 'em up and if they don't work for you trade that paper clip in for a staple.

Ham really pushing these Buddy deals. If they think moving Buddy and keeping Walton is the answer we're heading into another era of some pretty disappointing results that will end up in the same place anyway.

As for a Hawks deal I like Reddish and 6. That would be great value. Adding the 12, eh, that's tough but if it's a salary dump and young talent it makes sense if a rebuild is in order. Of course rebuilding when your core is 27-28 at it's oldest spots and it's two most prominent pieces are about to be maxed spots is pretty stupid. That means somebody really F'd up and I'm not sure it was all the guy they just fired.
But if we give them our two lower 2nd rd picks #35 and #43 instead of our #12 pick , maybe that is ok?

buddy, #35, #43 for Reddish and #6

Hey #6 in a weak draft, and a disappointing Rookie for 3 Point NBA Champion and 2 young 2nd picks?

Fox,Cojo
James
Barnes, Reddish
Bagley, Bjelly,Parker
Holmes

Draft #6 PG Hayes,#12 SF Bey
FA 4 of : Bogie,Basemore,Giles,Len,Jeffries,,Guy

Last edited:
They're only keeping Walton so they don't have to hire and fire another coach before the GM/VP whatever gets hired. I'm not as down on Walton as most of the board but I don't see any way he survives the incoming FO shakeup.