World Cup 2006 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that I am agreeing with piksi, but the English team has shown next to nothing and they play the most uninspired football of any team that will make it through to the final 8. Enough worrying about Ronaldo too, at least Brazil can sub him. England is down to one teenage rookie sub for both of their strikers.

eta: after today's disgraceful second match I'm now rooting for England when they play Portugal. What a crap game all around - Holland, Portugal and the ref should all be embarassed.

Last edited:
Kajun I've always liked your side but this tournament made it hard to root them on. I think Heitinga making the run on the restart may have been the final straw although I still hoped they'd equalize, but in a way I'm glad its over so they can regroup and I can cheer them in the future.

This could have been a great game but instead turned into a card festival. I'm happy that my country won but i would've prefered to win in a better played game.

And the referee was just a mess, what a disgrace. How can he send 4 players off and show over 15 cards when there were barely 20 fouls called in the whole game. Specially after not showing the red card to the dutch defender for his barbaric tackle on Cristiano Ronaldo, that took him out of the game. And Deco's red card was just plain ridiculous. All in all, the better team won but the price paid was very high.

I'm a bit fearful for the quarterfinals since we will be without Deco, our best player, and probably without Cristiano also. But it will be interesting nonetheless and it should be a close match. Hopefully, Portugal will prevail in the end.

PtKing, the Portugese were diving, crying, feigning injuries, stalling the game and embarassing themselves just as much if not more than the Dutch. The ref definitely let the game get way out of hand but I don't have a problem with the cards he did give as much as the fouls and cards he didn't give. This match should have been abandoned somewhere around the 80th minute. I lost track but Deco's second yellow was for running off with the ball after the ref blew a foul, no? He deserved the card but the Dutch player should have been booked for tackling him as well. This game was a joke. Both teams deserved to go home today.

What Heitinga did was incredibly stupid. He's not the smartest player around. That incident really set things off.

I don't like the way this dutch team plays. It is probably because of a lack of quality. It is absolutely nothing like the '98 or '00 side. So I'm not nearly as disappointed as I was back then.

But I am still disappointed at the way things ended. The equalizer was perhaps deserved, but hey, the portuguese made the most of their opportunities, and we didn't.

I don't know what the hell Scolari is doing. Why is he barking at Van Basten? Van Basten shrugged it off, but I would have annoyed to no avail by that guy.

Underastimating guy who scored 14 WC goals in his career will get it done. As we could see today - England got nothing. They got lucky and there is only so much luck one can have. When Your best weapon is Backam's puking on the pitch - pretty pathetic. England wasn't able to create one single scoring chance over 90 minutes. The luck always runs out.
LOL, yeah Piksi, I can laugh it off because the little that England did was enough to get through.

Lampard blazed our best chance from open play high into the stand and in general the performance was lacklustre. I thought Beckham's free kick was well executed - at least it was too good for the Ecuador keeper and that's all that really mattters.

Regardless, my boys are hanging in there.

Portugal will be without the influential Deco, and Christiano Renaldo may not be fully recovered from his leg injury sustained in the first half. So if, (no surely i mean 'when') England win you will be able to point to these factors as contributory to the victory! ;)

Portugal should be without Figo as well, but we'll see if FIFA will sanction him for the headbutt he got away with. I suspect that judgement may very well be determined based on whether or not Ronaldo is fit enough to play.

I have a lot of respect for the Portugese team, they are quick and skillful. Im hoping England can stifle their playmakers.

I can imagine that we will revert back to a 4-4-2 system, playing Crouch and Rooney upfront and trying to hit the front men with high balls into the box. - not pretty, but if it works i wont knock it. When you play with a giraffe up front that's the way it goes.:D

England beat Portugal in 1966 and we know which team lifted the trophy that year. (Piksi, look it up on google if you're not sure ;) )

PtKing, the Portugese were diving, crying, feigning injuries, stalling the game and embarassing themselves just as much if not more than the Dutch. The ref definitely let the game get way out of hand but I don't have a problem with the cards he did give as much as the fouls and cards he didn't give. This match should have been abandoned somewhere around the 80th minute. I lost track but Deco's second yellow was for running off with the ball after the ref blew a foul, no? He deserved the card but the Dutch player should have been booked for tackling him as well. This game was a joke. Both teams deserved to go home today.
I didn't see much diving or feigning injuries by the Portuguese, in this game at least. Trust me, that wasn't the case today. The problem was that there were so many cards for tick tack fouls and the worst tackles were left unpunished. Your right about Deco's second yellow but that was no reason to show him the card. It was the slightest of game delays, such a small infraction. It's was rigorous to an extreme. The whole game was too tense, marred by some unsportsmanlike behaviour by both teams, but some of it was provoked by the refereeing.

Portugal always had the game under control until we almost gave it away (like we usually do) with Costinha's red card. But even with a men down, the team always kept its composure and if it wasn't for Deco's red card, i believe we were going to score again. As for Holland, they were kind of disappointing. They're beeing a more conservative with their line ups and that doesn't help them. They have some great offensive players (why didn't RV Nistelrooy play?) but weak as a team. Going defensive is not working for them.

Portugal always had the game under control until we almost gave it away (like we usually do) with Costinha's red card. But even with a men down, the team always kept its composure and if it wasn't for Deco's red card, i believe we were going to score again. As for Holland, they were kind of disappointing. They're beeing a more conservative with their line ups and that doesn't help them. They have some great offensive players (why didn't RV Nistelrooy play?) but weak as a team. Going defensive is not working for them.
I can't say Portugal was that impressive either. The Maniche goal was great, but it was a moment -- it came out of nowhere really. Portugal had a few nice moments, but outside of that, it looked rather bland.

In the second half Netherlands came out storming (like they did the first half btw...the first 10 minutes were for holland), with Cocu hitting the bar. While you did your best to hold down the fort, with perhaps a little bit more luck, the Dutch would have equalised.

Van Nistelrooij was benched because he's not playing well. They've failed to impress during Van Basten's stretch, and it doesn't have to do with "going defensive", it has more to do with the lack of quality (lack of creativity in midfield, no bergkamp type of player).

piksi

Hall of Famer
Dutch elimination is the best thing that happened to soccer in a long time

It is great advertisement for FIFA's campain "soccer against racism"

That team is the "foul pack" of butcher's. Taking out C Ronaldo was pathetic

no fair play whatsoever - typical

lot's of talent for the diving competition for the next olympics (Robben V, Persie etc)

all together - great day for this great game - Thanks Portugal

Kajun, when i said "going defensive" i was refering to the sort of teams i was used to see, in the past, from Holland. I was (and still am) an admirer of the schemes with 3 defenders from old Ajax and past Holland teams. For me its strange to watch a dutch team with such a conservative midfield.

As for Portugal not beeing impressive, i parcially agree. Scolari is almost anti-brazilian in his ways. The team plays just enough to win and he's fortunate to have a handful of great players to bail him out. But he's been successful and keeps winning, so i wont complain too much (despite disliking him a LOT).

I didn't see much diving or feigning injuries by the Portuguese, in this game at least.
For example, the elbow on Figo was a legitimate elbow but he sure made it look like he got shot (and glanced to make sure the referee was looking before he exagerated the fall). That was going on all day by both teams, but especially the Portugese in the second half.

Oh well, I will admit that even though I found both sides disgraceful it was quite an entertaining match to watch.

Dutch elimination is the best thing that happened to soccer in a long time

It is great advertisement for FIFA's campain "soccer against racism"

lot's of talent for the diving competition for the next olympics (Robben V, Persie etc)
What a load of rubbish. You must be really sour.

Seedorf, Davids not selected => Wow, that must be racism!!! Lovely logic.

The only diver is Robben. We don't like him for that. For some reason, he won't change. The only other who employs questionable tactics on the field is van Bommel.

If anything, the south americans and south europeans have mastered the art of diving. Figo is a pretty good diver himself. They are more cunning than the rest of the world. So I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Oh, gee, look what Grosso did. Superclear schwalbe, and that's what knocked Australia out. Yes, Holland must be the only team with divers! Whatever.

Kajun, when i said "going defensive" i was refering to the sort of teams i was used to see, in the past, from Holland. I was (and still am) an admirer of the schemes with 3 defenders from old Ajax and past Holland teams. For me its strange to watch a dutch team with such a conservative midfield.
Huh? I don't know what Holland you've seen, but they've *always* played 4-3-3, never 3-4-3. Holland lives and dies (probably latter) by 4-3-3.

I don't think they were conservative, but just a case of lack of creativity (no Bergkamp), and out of form (Vd Vaart is just back, Cocu is 36 and had a long season, also got injured, and Van Bommel for some reason doesn't play nearly as well as he does at Barca).

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
REMINDER: It doesn't matter if you're talking soccer or basketball, or anything else. The "racism" stuff is NOT appropriate for our forum.

Thanks.

if the dutch fa was racist they surely would not have selected babel

as for england yes beckham is play really bad but him and sven are too good of friends foe him to be out even tho aaron lennon would imo be better on the right

Adriano's goal was clearly offsides. 'Celo finally admitting it as the second half begins. But Ronaldo's was nice and I doubt it will matter because between Ghana's finishing and Dida's keeping I can't see the ball finding its way into the Brazilian goal.

They can claim Ronaldo's not fat, but they can't claim he's 100% match fit. The guy pulls a sprint and is completely out of breath.

Good for him breaking Gerd Muller's record though. 15 goals is impressive.

Now, let's hope Spain lives up to expectation once, and beats France..

France is so boring. I hope Spain can knock em out. Spain vs. Brazil should be fun if it happens. The US announcers were talking about Brazillian players ignoring open passes for sure goals for their own glory. For once they may have actually had a legitimate point, but when they're blowing opponents out as they are now it may not matter. I do wish they'd play more like they did when Japan gave them a partial scare though, just because its so nice to watch that kind of fluidity. I root for the underdogs 99% of the time but when they play the way they are capable its hard to root against them.

Yes, they seem to play down to their competition. But something has just seemed wrong this tournament except for the Japan game after they went down a goal.

I'm so lost without the cup today.

I'm so lost without the cup today.
You and me both...
And to think that there are only 8 games left. :mad:

What will I do for the next 4 years? :confused:
Oh well, 2010 is not that far away, hopefully my two home countries (Serbia and Slovenia) will be there. On second thought, I'm not sure if that is such a good idea, the way Serbia excelled this time.

But hell if they get there, I'm going to Africa myself.

I would just like to join in on team England's performance so far: I don't know what you guys expected, but if you can name one English squad that played pretty soccer in the last 15 years, then I can understand how you can be disappointed with how they play in this WC. They have a GREAT midfield, solid enough defense and very little up front (but their midfielders pose the most danger). Just because they didn't create that many opportunities, it doesn't mean that they didn't play well... how many opportunities or shots on goal Ecuador had ? It was very clear who the dominant team was in that game. Also, keep in mind that just like Italy, England sort of plays at the similar level to their competition, so do not be surprised if they look like a completely different team against Portugal.
They haven't played pretty or clicked yet, and they reached the final 8 nonetheless, well, if they click, that will be scary.

With all that said ... FORZA ITALIA!!! FORZA TOTTI!

Sven is playing a lone striker up front. The fact that Rooney is just coming back from Injury. ENgland will defeat Portugal. We will probably get Brazil in the the Semis.

I would just like to join in on team England's performance so far: I don't know what you guys expected, but if you can name one English squad that played pretty soccer in the last 15 years, then I can understand how you can be disappointed with how they play in this WC. They have a GREAT midfield, solid enough defense and very little up front (but their midfielders pose the most danger). Just because they didn't create that many opportunities, it doesn't mean that they didn't play well... how many opportunities or shots on goal Ecuador had ? It was very clear who the dominant team was in that game. Also, keep in mind that just like Italy, England sort of plays at the similar level to their competition, so do not be surprised if they look like a completely different team against Portugal.
They haven't played pretty or clicked yet, and they reached the final 8 nonetheless, well, if they click, that will be scary.

With all that said ... FORZA ITALIA!!! FORZA TOTTI!

Sven is playing a lone striker up front. The fact that Rooney is just coming back from Injury. ENgland will defeat Portugal. We will probably get Brazil in the the Semis.
Im not convinced, I think with Neville back in defence Sven will believe that he and Cole have enough pace to contain the Portugese front men. This gives him the flexibilty to move away from 4-1-4-1 and revert back to 4-4-2.

This view miight be further supported by the video evidence in the last game where Rooney, in his desire for possession could be found battling for the ball on the half way line or chasing midfielders towards his own goal. That isnt idea when you are playing the lone man upfront.

Im happy enough with the midfield, plenty has been written about Beckham, but i think he is an automatic choice just for his ability from free kicks and crosses. The Giraffe upfront has scored one from Beckham's accuracy already.

I am a bit disappointed with the influence (or lack of it) on the game from Lampard and Gerrard. Yes, Gerrard scored a great individual goal, but he is capable of terrorisong defences. I dont know who the impostor in Lampard's shirt is, it doesnt appear to be the Frank who plays for Chelsea. joe Cole has had a good tournament, but he can be prone to going AWOL when he wears an England shirt and im not sure that some of his more fancy ball skills are always what is wanted.

So...Sloter, i think you are right, we havent seen the best of England yet. I hope the quality of Portugal gives them the opportunity to rise to the occasion. I dont want to even think about Brazil in the semi.
One game at a time, just focus on the next one !

As for Germany vs Argentina. From an Englishman's perspective, that is like asking a Kings fan if they would like to see the (spit) Lakers or the (spit) Mavs prevail......;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.