World Cup 2006 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argentina >>> Netherlands.

Dutch miss any type of creativity, other than Robben/Van Persie. They need a Bergkamp type on the midfield. Bah.

ARG-MEX and NED-POR now. Portugal are favourite.

Why oh why did I choose to watch two teams content to play for a draw over my sentimental faves Les Elephants who made the greatest comeback of the tournament and got the first win in their national history?

*bonks head*

Why oh why did I choose to watch two teams content to play for a draw over my sentimental faves Les Elephants who made the greatest comeback of the tournament and got the first win in their national history?

*bonks head*
I can hardly call something the greatest comback when they played with an extra man for 60 inutes and 2 of their 3 goals came from the penalty kicks. And it was a meaningless game. Just my opinion though :)

I can hardly call something the greatest comback when they played with an extra man for 60 inutes and 2 of their 3 goals came from the penalty kicks. And it was a meaningless game. Just my opinion though :)
Arguably, that was the best comebac of this tournament so far. But you could argue that this SMT team is so poor and lifeless that no comeback against it is great. ;)

I don't think any team besides CdI has come back to even tie after going down two in this WC. Its hard to properly rate the SMT team when they were in the toughest group in the tournament, they did only allow one goal through European qualifying. But like I said, I didn't watch the game so its hard for me to properly comment on it. But I'm quite sure it was more entertaining than the match I watched, especially since I had a favorite to root for. I prefer Holland to Argentina but I also am pulling for Germany once the US are done so better to have Argentina in the other group.

The Brazil everyone expected to see finally showed up for the second half of the match against Japan today. After watching the frustrating US-Ghana match this was quite a spectacle. Even in the first half they were putting on a skills clinic while unable to find the net early and trailing Japan. Japan may have distinguished themselves for blowing multiple leads in this tournament. This Brazilian team would have utterly humiliated our side in the next game so perhaps all is not lost.

As for the US match I won't say much. While I wasn't ready to throw Arena under the bus I will say I'm a lot more open to Klinsmann now. I'd rather go down in flames then play the tentative offensive game we played for the majority of our three contests.

piksi

Hall of Famer
The Brazil everyone expected to see finally showed up for the second half of the match against Japan today. After watching the frustrating US-Ghana match this was quite a spectacle. Even in the first half they were putting on a skills clinic while unable to find the net early and trailing Japan. Japan may have distinguished themselves for blowing multiple leads in this tournament. This Brazilian team would have utterly humiliated our side in the next game so perhaps all is not lost.

As for the US match I won't say much. While I wasn't ready to throw Arena under the bus I will say I'm a lot more open to Klinsmann now. I'd rather go down in flames then play the tentative offensive game we played for the majority of our three contests.

You can't make a cake out of crap

This doesn't have to do with what you guys are talking about, but I missed the game yesterday with Serbia & Ivory Coast... does anyone know if it's going to be repeated on any channel? Thanks alot. :)

I agree Totti's play is pivotal for Italy, but when he's clearly this badly out of form, there's really no point in putting him on the pitch. All it does is get him frustrated (and also get him booked).
Well, then I really hope that you enjoyed Totti setting up the first goal and drawing the red card today ... :)

Well, then I really hope that you enjoyed Totti setting up the first goal and drawing the red card today ... :)
I actually wasn't able to see the match. Good to hear Totti contributed.

Australia-Croatia rocked. The red cards are piling up like crazy now.

Not to mention yellow cards. How many yellow cards can one get? :D

Last edited:
I actually wasn't able to see the match. Good to hear Totti contributed.

Australia-Croatia rocked. The red cards are piling up like crazy now.

Not to mention yellow cards. How many yellow cards can one get? :D
Well....so far in the competition there have been a total of 257 yellows cards

The worst offending team has been Tunisa with 14.

As for red cards.... 18 so far.

USA, Serbs,Croatia and Czech all on 2 each.

Well....so far in the competition there have been a total of 257 yellows cards

The worst offending team has been Tunisa with 14.

As for red cards.... 18 so far.

USA, Serbs,Croatia and Czech all on 2 each.
I was referring to the AUS-CRO match -- the croatia player getting 3 yellow cards before finally being sent off, after a mistake from the referee.

^^ hee hee, yeah i know, but i couldnt resist throwing a few meaningless statistics into the thread! :D

(If we had a cricket tread that would give me even greater opportunity!:p )

Cricket sucks LK, it's the only thing more boring than baseball.
Anyway I'm watching the US-Ghana game and am I missing something? How was that a penalty?:confused:

So after a brave performance from Mexico, the Argies,with a very strong squad, win after extra time. :mad:

This doesnt bother me nearly so much as the fact that they will now play Germany in the quarter final, and in doing so deprive me of my opportunity to go dancing in the street after England would have knocked them out. :D

Oh well, I dont doubt that the Germans will be waiting for England in the final so i will just have to make the most of that victory as Beckham hoists the trophy aloft.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
So after a brave performance from Mexico, the Argies,with a very strong squad, win after extra time. :mad:

This doesnt bother me nearly so much as the fact that they will now play Germany in the quarter final, and in doing so deprive me of my opportunity to go dancing in the street after England would have knocked them out. :D

Oh well, I dont doubt that the Germans will be waiting for England in the final so i will just have to make the most of that victory as Beckam hoists the trophy aloft.

Brazil is the team to beat. Everyone else is fighting for the spot in the finals especially if Ronaldo improves as the tournament goes on.

Brazil is the team to beat. Everyone else is fighting for the spot in the finals especially if Ronaldo improves as the tournament goes on.
What?? ! ..improves his diet you mean ...ha!!

Brazil wont win the cup IMHO unless they play a centre forward who can move. Adriano would be a better proposition than Ronaldo at the moment.

If all goes to plan England will play Brazil in the Semi, so well see if we can get our revenge for their victory 4 years ago.

C'mon Kajun,

Despatch Portugal and set up a quarter final where England sorts out your ticket home! :D

'It's comin' home, it's comin' home, it's coming......' ;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
What?? ! ..improves his diet you mean ...ha!!

Brazil wont win the cup IMHO unless they play a centre forward who can move. Adriano would be a better proposition than Ronaldo at the moment.

If all goes to plan England will play Brazil in the Semi, so well see if we can get our revenge for their victory 4 years ago.
Underastimating guy who scored 14 WC goals in his career will get it done. As we could see today - England got nothing. They got lucky and there is only so much luck one can have. When Your best weapon is Backam's puking on the pitch - pretty pathetic. England wasn't able to create one single scoring chance over 90 minutes. The luck always runs out.

no you see portugal will beat the netherlands then when england play portugal sol campbell will score a winner which will be disallowed sending it to extra time which in turn show the brilliance of english penalty taking

Status
Not open for further replies.