World Cup 2006 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I really hope Ghana hold on and win.

It is a big ask for USA to win, or even draw against Italy, but if they can get a result it blows the whole Group E wide open.
The usa needs to figure out how to play their A game during the world cup. Hopefully playing in Kaiserslautern will bring out a lot of the USA fans. Considering it's a big time military hub and there are 50000+ Americans in the area. Our team couldnt have asked for a better location in Germany. Go K-Town. Down with the I-Tai's.

piksi

Hall of Famer
The usa needs to figure out how to play their A game during the world cup. Hopefully playing in Kaiserslautern will bring out a lot of the USA fans. Considering it's a big time military hub and there are 50000+ Americans in the area. Our team couldnt have asked for a better location in Germany. Go K-Town. Down with the I-Tai's.

The Arena in Kaiserslautern doesn't fit 50000 and there will probably be more Italians in the stands

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It is a big ask for USA to win, or even draw against Italy, but if they can get a result it blows the whole Group E wide open.
Its already wide open, US doesn't even need to win or tie to advance anymore. They could lose and still have a shot depending on the Italy-Czech result. Italy can't clinch either so they have to come to play the Czechs as well. Of course if we can win or draw today and stay out of the referee's book we'll have a great shot against Ghana who will be missing a few of key players.

What a DISGUSTING elbow from De Rossi. He probably won't play again this world cup.

I have no idea why Italy is defending like crap. Their strength has always been their defense, but so far in this world cup they've looked like a bunch of amateurs at times.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Boneheaded tackle by Mastroeni, yes it could have been a yellow in another game but when you're a man up there's no sense jeopardizing the advantage for a silly late tackle on that side of the field. US had been dominating midfield all match and the man advantage was crippling to Italy's efforts to play the long ball. Dumb dumb dumb, no matter what the biased US announcers say about it.

Plus we're now out a key player for the Ghana game.

eta: Marcello Balboa needs to shut up already.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, as a novice to really watching soccer, are the officials as bad as the announcers are making them out to be?

Mastroeni made a stupid tackle. They had the match in their hands, this effectively gave the match back to the Italians.

Crazy match.

Err, how were the officials "absolute pits"?

They gave out the correct cards.

Is it because they disallowed the US goal? That was a correct decision as well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mastroeni made a stupid tackle. They had the match in their hands, this effectively gave the match back to the Italians.

Crazy match.

IMHO - and as a relative amateur viewer to soccer - I think the officials were overzealous and a little too quick to toss people out. And apparently there are a lot of others who think the same way.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The announcers are overreacting. The first red was definitely a straight red. It would be in most games let alone a game where somebody had already been sent off.

Pope's ejection was unfortunate but that tackle was a yellow card tackle. No problem if he hadn't already been booked earlier in the match. He knew he was booked and so he knows he can't make that kind of tackle.

This is a lot like what's going on with the NBA this post-season with suspensions. Old-timers are rightfully upset but they are being consistent. All games this tournament have had 5 or 6 bookings.

Anyway, enough about that. This was a great game by the USA. They dominated play for the first half and more than held their own while a man down for nearly the entirety of the second. I am a little confused as to why Arena didn't sub Eddie Johnson rather than Beasley especially since Beasley barely made any runs despite being the freshest player in the game. He still had Johnson available at the end of the game when McBride was sucking wind and getting very sloppy defensively as well. It will be an interesting lineup against Ghana missing two mainstays, but they will be without their top two strikers.

Crazy match.

MAstroeni did make a stupid tackle, but the red card there was probably a make up call. Second yellow on Pope was "by the book" where ref should have excercised some common sense. I don't think he realised he already booked Pope. That just says it all about how quickly he was reaching for the pocket.

I don't think he should have dissalowed Beasley's goal: McBride was probably inactive and that collision before the goal was 50-50.

The last yellow for Italian player was also a nonsense and there was at least two off-sides that were blown against Italy that were dead even or not off side at all.

American commentators were (justly) berating refs for mistakes against BOTH sides.

It was an exciting and spirited game though. The draw is probably fair to both sides.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
IMHO - and as a relative amateur viewer to soccer - I think the officials were overzealous and a little too quick to toss people out. And apparently there are a lot of others who think the same way.
I understand your concern but as both an American and a novice viewer you are highly susceptible to the homer announcing we are getting. International announce crews had no issues with the red cards nor do most non-America-centric soccer forums (and remember our second ejection came on succesive yellows and not a straight red, major difference there).

If you watched the whole game you may have noticed early on Marcelo had no issues with the way the ref was letting Onyewu get on with a lot of physical play but afraid he might draw a yellow which would put him out of the next match. Onyewu kept up that play the entire game but Marcelo shut up after the reds came out.

eta: Bozz - you don't get a free pass because you're on a yellow already. Pope needed to realize he was on a yellow and play accordingly. Onyewu made adjustments after picking up his yellow against the Czechs and while he made some costly mistakes in that game he played solidly today.

Last edited:

Crazy match.

I agree actually. You know that the ref isn't going to let the Italians play a man down from the 28th minute and is looking for the equalizer. Then Mastroeni makes a dangerous tackle. Probably should have been a yellow, but it was dangerous enough that the ref could justify a red to the media after the game, so out comes the red.

I don't know why Pope wasn't subbed at the half. He was slow, tackling from behind all game, and already had a yellow. In fact, the ref should have equalized the field on a Pope tackle that went uncalled at the 39th or 40th minute. Instead he nailed Mastroeni. Arena did not perform well in this match. Failing to sub Johnson in for McBride was also highly questionable, especially after the 75th minute when all players were dead tired.

We can be upset that the Italians get preferential calls, but the Americans knew they would and should have adjusted. I am very happy with the draw, but we very easily could have seen a victory today.

I understand your concern but as both an American and a novice viewer you are highly susceptible to the homer announcing we are getting. International announce crews had no issues with the red cards nor do most non-America-centric soccer forums (and remember our second ejection came on succesive yellows and not a straight red, major difference there).

If you watched the whole game you may have noticed early on Marcelo had no issues with the way the ref was letting Onyewu get on with a lot of physical play but afraid he might draw a yellow which would put him out of the next match. Onyewu kept up that play the entire game but Marcelo shut up after the reds came out.

eta: Bozz - you don't get a free pass because you're on a yellow already. Pope needed to realize he was on a yellow and play accordingly. Onyewu made adjustments after picking up his yellow against the Czechs and while he made some costly mistakes in that game he played solidly today.
the announcer were talkin about the mastroeni red card which was a horrible call

one thing that confused me was why didnt bruce arena use his last sub i thought for sure he'd put on EJ

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
the announcer were talkin about the mastroeni red card which was a horrible call
Not according to just about anyone outside of the US. I agree that it sucked but that was an agressive, late tackle with the cleats in a dangerous position.

You know what sucks though, this was a great day for US soccer and everyone is crying about the refs. Sure we beat Portugal and Colombia for monster wins in 2002 an 1994 but this was Italy a true world power with actual Cup wins. We dominated them when it was even strength. We very nearly won it despite being a man down. We're still alive in this tournament and appear to have shaken off whatever ailed us against the Czechs.

Not according to just about anyone outside of the US. I agree that it sucked but that was an agressive, late tackle with the cleats in a dangerous position.

You know what sucks though, this was a great day for US soccer and everyone is crying about the refs. Sure we beat Portugal and Colombia for monster wins in 2002 an 1994 but this was Italy a true world power with actual Cup wins. We dominated them when it was even strength. We very nearly won it despite being a man down. We're still alive in this tournament and appear to have shaken off whatever ailed us against the Czechs.
You're right. No mattaer what anyone thinks about the refs (and we agree to disagree there), that was a gutsy performance by US and an exciting game.

Actually, this is about the only wide open group that will go down to the wire. That's what World Cup is all about.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Group G is wide open and groups D, F and H should have good battles for the second spot. Of course some of the teams in those groups are barely worth watching, but that's another story.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Erm... well... Okay, I'll be honest. I didn't realize the distinction.

I don't understand the whole foul, yellow card, red card thing. And if you get kicked out of a game you're automatically out of the next one? And color cards carry over? Are there other colors besides yellow and red? This stuff is confusing...

EDIT: Forgive me if these questions are dumb. I really did enjoy watching today, but some of the stuff was really hard to follow. I would like to see announcers at least make some kinds of explanations for things in World Cup OR Olympic competitions when relative newcomers to the sport might be watching and trying to learn. They don't have to make it too basic, but a little bit of information could be helpful...

;)

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
VF, your questions are not stupid - the cards break down this way:
Yellows are for cautionary offenses - unsportsmanlike behavior, dissent to refs, persistent fouling, delaying play, refusing to keep distance on free kicks, etc.

Reds are for serious offenses - hard fouls, violent conduct, spitting at a player or ref, hand balls to stop goals (obviously this does not apply to the keeper), deliberate foul to prevent a likely goal (think clear path to the basket foul), offensive language or gestures, etc.

Additionally a player receiving two yellows results in an automatic red card.

Yellow cards are cumulative in each round of tournament play (also during certain stages in qualifying) so a player who receives two yellows in separate matches during group play sits a game. The card count is reset when they go to the knockout stage but the same rules apply.

Hopefully that helps you out.

They ought to consider using the secondary audio channel to broadcast a more "informative" commentary since most non-english viewers will tune into the more informed commentary on other networks.

MAstroeni did make a stupid tackle, but the red card there was probably a make up call. Second yellow on Pope was "by the book" where ref should have excercised some common sense. I don't think he realised he already booked Pope. That just says it all about how quickly he was reaching for the pocket.

I don't think he should have dissalowed Beasley's goal: McBride was probably inactive and that collision before the goal was 50-50.

The last yellow for Italian player was also a nonsense and there was at least two off-sides that were blown against Italy that were dead even or not off side at all.

American commentators were (justly) berating refs for mistakes against BOTH sides.

It was an exciting and spirited game though. The draw is probably fair to both sides.
The Mastroeni yellow card was absolutely justified. I don't see how you can see otherwise. The tackle was indeed way too late, and was aimed at the ankles.

McBride was *not* inactive. He pulled his leg up so the ball could pass him. You could say that he didn't touch the ball, and therefore was "inactive", but that's not the way it works. He was in the trajectory of the ball, was in position to change the trajectory...that alone makes him active. So the decision was correct, he was offside.

I don't understand the whole foul, yellow card, red card thing. And if you get kicked out of a game you're automatically out of the next one? And color cards carry over? Are there other colors besides yellow and red? This stuff is confusing...
You only have yellow and red cards. A immediate red card means an immediate send-off, while it takes two yellow cards for a send off (which was the case for Mastroeni).

A red card, or two yellow cards means a suspension for the next coming game. In some cases, when it concerns an extreme foul, the player can be suspended for several games. For instance, don't expect to see De Rossi back in action for this world cup.

A red card means automatic suspension for the next game, so nothing to carry over there. Yellow cards carry over. For instance, a striker from Ghana got one yellow card in each of his two matches. Since the yellow cards carry over, he's being suspended for the third and final group match of Ghana.

However, yellow cards do not carry over to the knockout phase of the tournament. So any players that have one yellow card after the group phase, will start with a clean sheet again. Players getting a red card, 2x yellow, or 2nd yellow, in the third match, still get suspended though.

EDIT: too late.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks to both pdxKingsfan and Kajun for their clear and concise explanations. I've learned more from the two of you than I was able to get from anything the announcers had to say...

:)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
McBride was *not* inactive. He pulled his leg up so the ball could pass him. You could say that he didn't touch the ball, and therefore was "inactive", but that's not the way it works. He was in the trajectory of the ball, was in position to change the trajectory...that alone makes him active. So the decision was correct, he was offside.
I don't understand what McBride was doing on this play, he was offsides by a mile and completely jeopardized any opportunity we had in what was already shaping up to be one of our best chances. Completely ineligible to play the ball straight from <edit: I said Donovan but it was Beasley wasn't it?> and if the ball rebounds he can't play it for a sure goal. And of course the worst case scenario - ball goes straight into the net and gets disallowed because of his stupidity.

I don't understand what McBride was doing on this play, he was offsides by a mile and completely jeopardized any opportunity we had in what was already shaping up to be one of our best chances. Completely ineligible to play the ball straight from <edit: I said Donovan but it was Beasley wasn't it?> and if the ball rebounds he can't play it for a sure goal. And of course the worst case scenario - ball goes straight into the net and gets disallowed because of his stupidity.
It was stupidity. A goal would have been deserving (it was Beasley, yes). The US were better, and the Italians just underestimated their opponents (typically Italian - against a smaller opponent they'll come into the match unmotivated).

The US had the match in their hands. They controlled the match. Italy couldn't keep the ball in play, and their praised defense has looked incredibly shaky. The US ultimately gave the match away with a couple of mistakes, with the biggest one being the first red card. The momentum completely changed after that.

The final matches will be incredibly interesting. I have no idea how ITA-CZE and USA-GHA will end up.

london king what club do ya support
Im a Liverpool FC fan.

Even though Ive always lived just outside London, its always been Liverpool for me from when i was just a kid. Growing up in the 70s and 80s they were the dominant team of that era.

My heroes were players such as Keegan and Dalglish. Souness, Clemence, Toshack.

Unfortunately, they have been overtaken in terms of being the 'best' team in the land. Chelsea, Man Utd and up 'til recently Arsenal would all have viable claims at being strong teams.

Still, I get the feeling that the tide could be turning in Liverpool's favour once again, we had a good season and with a couple of decent signings i have high hopes to knock Chelsea off their perch. ;)

Im enjoying this world cup, not sure who will win, but i havent seen anything that has lead me to believe England couldnt do it.

Its coming home, Its coming home, its coming...football's coming home!! :D

piksi

Hall of Famer
Refs sucked big time.

First mistake was giving Pope yellow in the first half. He was the last defender and should have been gone right there.

Red card for DaRossi was clear. I hope they suspend him for at least 3 games.

Red card on Mastroeni - also clear. You just don't tackle with both legs. Very dumb play.

2nd yellow on Pope - also clear.

After that ref did not call one single foul on USA. He allowed pulling, pushing etc. Looked like he liked the 1:1 score. The linesman denied Italy at least 3 scoring chances bt calling offside which only he saw. US had 0 shots on target, wouldn't have scored if the game lasted 3 months. and still won a point. While the effort was there - the result was extremely lucky. Italy played very arrogant and didn't deserve to win either. As for the players - only player on the field that actually knows how the play this great game was Andrea Pirlo

I was wandering wheathe Zaccardo knew what the odds were:D

I hope we don't see that ref again the rest of the way.

First, he called everything (only) he saw. After that..well...he was happy. He seemed to let ANYTHING go. I actually can only recall one foul call he made. Just really random.

Screwed up what was otherwise a well played game by USA.

Ref was bad, but every red card was warranted. Mastroeni's foul was maybe not intentional, but it was a slide tackle with both feet and he caught the guy on the ankle (nver touched the ball). Anyway you look at it that's a red card. Kezman had a similar tackle for Serbia yesterday (and he actually got all ball), but he still got the red card.

I don't get it how all these ESPN "experts" and ex-pros can let their homerism prevail. If somebody on Italian team commited a same foul they would be screaming bloody murder.

Last edited:
Im a Liverpool FC fan.

Even though Ive always lived just outside London, its always been Liverpool for me from when i was just a kid. Growing up in the 70s and 80s they were the dominant team of that era.

My heroes were players such as Keegan and Dalglish. Souness, Clemence, Toshack.

Unfortunately, they have been overtaken in terms of being the 'best' team in the land. Chelsea, Man Utd and up 'til recently Arsenal would all have viable claims at being strong teams.

Still, I get the feeling that the tide could be turning in Liverpool's favour once again, we had a good season and with a couple of decent signings i have high hopes to knock Chelsea off their perch. ;)

Im enjoying this world cup, not sure who will win, but i havent seen anything that has lead me to believe England couldnt do it.

Its coming home, Its coming home, its coming...football's coming home!! :D
have ya seen mark gonzalez he is a mint player on the left wing just hope he gets a work permit

Status
Not open for further replies.