Will Barnes be here next year?

If the Kings sign him to 3/60 he’s not worth it.
In Addition, Kings will not longer be able to Max out any free agent without going over the luxury tax. I agree, he’s worth 12-15 and no more. Essentially, he’s Rudy Gay Part 2.

In Addition, Kings will not longer be able to Max out any free agent without going over the luxury tax. I agree, he’s worth 12-15 and no more. Essentially, he’s Rudy Gay Part 2.
Agree, he's worth in the low teens. He's not consistent enough on offense to be paid higher, just like Stein (at this point). Hield might be worth a 4/75 extension of any of the Kings. He was the most consistent player on the floor running his rear-off. This is what happens when your core players begin to come up for paydays. Unfortunately no playoffs this year to help aid judging who would've stepped up to the plate more against the Warriors.

Rudy gays defense is and was terrible and was a big black hole on offense. The only real comparison I can point to is that they can create their own shots.
Is Barnes worth 25 million I would think not and I believe that was the main reason we were able to acquire him for what we did. Is he worth 18 or 20? In this nba today and his age well yeah I think so.

When was the last time a good free agent signed here, well it’s been a few years. We need to trade for our starters and unfortunately for the good ones we will over pay for.

SLAB is right. How can people not see it? The guy plays defense. He is long at 6'8" and can stop a lot of people. He moves without the ball, he can shoot and is unselfish. He is a great interview. He classes up the joint. He is the kind of player we want.
I hate to say it but if came down to choosing between bogie and barnes I'd have to go barnes. I want both but just showing the pecking order imo.

dude12

Hall of Famer
He’s nothing like Rudy Gay but really, is that supposed to be a knock against Barnes? Gay seems to be do8ng ok with a Spurs team.

You should educate yourself on salaries. $12-15 does not get you a starter in free agency....or at least a starter on a contending team. Barnes is very good and he’s a lockdown defender, which I didn’t realize until watching him every game with us.

He’s nothing like Rudy Gay but really, is that supposed to be a knock against Barnes? Gay seems to be do8ng ok with a Spurs team.

You should educate yourself on salaries. $12-15 does not get you a starter in free agency....or at least a starter on a contending team. Barnes is very good and he’s a lockdown defender, which I didn’t realize until watching him every game with us.
You should educate yourself. Yes it does. That’s about the range of a solid starter (as the link by King Baller shows). Paying more for a player who hasn’t moved the ledger on wins/losses when Fox/Buddy/Bogs/Bags and another choice FA or two isn’t economically feasible to me

Vlade's got his work cut out for him with balancing our roster under the cap. Or is that why Brandon Williams remains?
I like Barnes a lot. Always have. IMO, he's exactly the type of SF we need. He a good teammate and a good citizen who can guard 1-4. In the Kings offense, he probably won't be a 20-pt per game scorer, but he's got the skills to score when he wants, or when needed (unless he's facing PJ Tucker, who seems to have his number).
Frankly I don't know how much he's worth, given what comparable players are making, given the fact that he's got one more year on an all-star level contract, and given the fact that we seem to have to overpay somewhat for free agents.

dude12

Hall of Famer
You should educate yourself. Yes it does. That’s about the range of a solid starter (as the link by King Baller shows). Paying more for a player who hasn’t moved the ledger on wins/losses when Fox/Buddy/Bogs/Bags and another choice FA or two isn’t economically feasible to me
Look at post 34

I don’t think the Kings acquired Barnes to be a short term rental. Folks are putting the cart before the horse with luxury tax concerns. Any cap crunch is still a ways off.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I am. You think he’s more than the Ingles/Covington/Iguodala/Warren/Chandler (in his prime) grouping? I think that’s him right now
I think he’s more than Covington, Iggy at this point, Warren and Chandler. I think Ingles and he are comparable level but different players. I also think that if these guys are to be FA’s, Ingles will command more than 12, Iggy I think is older and in that range if we look at Ariza’s deal at 15, I don’t think Chandler is the answer, Warren is interesting but I think he goes for more also.

Maybe we have a difference in where Barnes’ value stands. I think he’s very good and we can maybe extend him in the 18-20 mill range

I think he’s more than Covington, Iggy at this point, Warren and Chandler. I think Ingles and he are comparable level but different players. I also think that if these guys are to be FA’s, Ingles will command more than 12, Iggy I think is older and in that range if we look at Ariza’s deal at 15, I don’t think Chandler is the answer, Warren is interesting but I think he goes for more also.

Maybe we have a difference in where Barnes’ value stands. I think he’s very good and we can maybe extend him in the 18-20 mill range
18-20million is such an overpay for a team's future 3rd or 4th best player on a non-contending team. Enormously hard pill to swallow for a semi 3&D SF. He can do more, but he also plays the 3&D role only ok.

18-20million is such an overpay for a team's future 3rd or 4th best player on a non-contending team. Enormously hard pill to swallow for a semi 3&D SF. He can do more, but he also plays the 3&D role only ok.
4th or 5th. Your paying that might as well splurge for Butler/Middleton who I don’t think Bucks/Sixers can afford at big salary

I don’t think it’s an overpay if the 2 of teams top 3 players are on their rookie deals. It actually makes make sense to spend money now, before the extensions kick in, because you can go over the cap later on to keep your own guys.

Butler is a cancer, DNW. Middleton will require the max, and may not even take it to come here. Who’s next?
Spitballing, Nikola/Tobias/Randle/Klay or whoever else you can spend big money on that would impact winning/losing (even if it meant players out of their preferred positions). Then I’d split it up into two solid players rather than paying Harrison 18-20.

Again, Harrison is a solid player, but I hardly notice him on the floor. That may be good or bad. If your paying someone that, you should notice their affect on the tally

Of course, he can still be adjusting and much better next year, but I’m not comfortable with that number myself

Last edited:
We had a gapping hole at small forward and with Barnes and Brewer it’s one of our strengths now.
With Bagley, Beli and even Barnes in stretches that is a fairly strong position at pf.
We have what I see as our problem is how much to pay WCS? Do we give most of the 20 mil. We have with the expiring contracts of Burks and KK? Or try to land a big name player.

I think Barnes stays with the team and gets around 4 year/$70 million

'19/'20-$22 mill
'20/'21-$20 mill
'21/'22-$14 mill
'22/'23-$14 mill
4y/58M is reasonable. He's a good player, but he does not deserve upper tier pay imo The average NBA salary is $6.7M/yr this season. The Mavs wanted to splash FAs and overpaid. Kings hopefully learned from Hill not to overpay. They will overpay him next season as part of the trade, and surely re-evaluate. Let's look at Barnes Statistics for SFs this season (Mavs/Kings combo keeping in mind 30 teams in the league):

Scoring 11th (above average) B+
Rebounding Tied for 20th (average) C
FG% 22nd (below average) C-
FT% 9th (Very Good) A-
3pt% 14th (above average) B
Assists 30th (poor) D+
Steals 34th (poor) D
Blocks 50th/58!! (Very poor/ bottom 15%) F
Turnovers 13th (below average) C-
Fouls 45/49 (Very Good) B+

Out of the top 30 (likely mostly starters) interestingly enough although he's a competent man-on-man defender, his defensive stats compared to his peers may betray this perception a bit. In general he could do better in several areas. His blocking is atrocious, and his steals are not good. Only in FT% could he be considered elite at 9th in the league at his position. His overall scoring is good, and that is what the Kings were missing from Shumpert with any kind of consistency and why Barnes was brought in....

Last edited:

Lock down who? Who has he locked down? That is an All Star? Barnes is not a lockdown defender. Has he ever been a defensive first team? Second team? Ever? Why do fanboys haphazardly abuse and exaggerate players.

He’s an average defender who is slow laterally and that’s not speculation. It’s what I’ve seen.

He’s an ok player. He will not win, not lose you games typically. He will rarely if ever take over a game and he is decent. I can name at least 15 SF’a that are better than him.

Lock down who? Who has he locked down? That is an All Star? Barnes is not a lockdown defender. Has he ever been a defensive first team? Second team? Ever? Why do fanboys haphazardly abuse and exaggerate players.

He’s an average defender who is slow laterally and that’s not speculation. It’s what I’ve seen.

He’s an ok player. He will not win, not lose you games typically. He will rarely if ever take over a game and he is decent. I can name at least 15 SF’a that are better than him.
Notably Paul George on the back to back after playing 50 minutes and Luka on a back to back? But yes, IMO he hasn’t been known as a standout defender and has the mobility of a tweener 3/4 (hence why Dave tried to put him there). You wouldn’t offer him a large check on his defense. if the Kings need a lock down 3/D type, instead of an all around solid (or average, however you view) role player 4/5 option type like Barnes, there might be other options.