Why Brad Miller is a top 3 center in the league

Actually Brad played pretty well for us last year. He is probably our most efficient player. We are all just really down on him because he had a terrible series against the Spurs. People are talking about trading him for all kinds of scrubs, which I think it a big overreaction.

I'd take Z, Yao, Camby or Chandler for him. Other than them no center's defense really makes up for how much worse at offense they would be than Brad. Having a 7 footer who can hit out to the three point line and is an expert passer is a great advantage for a coach who wants to use it. I'd only give him up for a good well rounded center or a lock-down defender in the post.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

Since you seem to have ignored that part the first time... At some point in a basketball game, most teams want their center to be able to create offense underneath the basket; Ilgauskas is much, much better at that than Miller.
I didn't ignore it at all. Teams usually want their center to shoot close to the basket because those are generally higher percentage shots. If Miller and Ilgauskas are scoring the same amount per game at the same percentage what is the difference? Are those 10 foot turnarounds that Ilgauskas shoots that much better for the team than Miller's straightaway 18 footers?

DocHolliday said:
Brad wasn't this slow before. He was never fast, but he has become a turtle, and the leg break made it worse. He is NOT a top 3 center. The reason he gets some offense off on guys like yao or ben, is because he was rotating out. Most of those points did not come from inside, they came from jump shots. I'd rather see a center play down low, and stay down low for the most part except for certain rotations.

Oh and not to mention he has sucked in both playoffs that he has been the starting center in.

Yeah, lets get a center that plays only low post and stays down there all the time, that wouldn't clog the lane up for Bonzi and Ron or anything...:confused:

I don't have an issue with Brad's O. His D is terrible. Yes 15 foot jumpers from your center aren't ideal but he does shoot very well from the field so I don't think you can really knock him for that. Our Swing Guys who played during the playoffs are more for the paint as well as SAR.

My biggest issue with Brad is defensively he is like a matador to the basket. I think the reason for this has also been brought up. We don't have anyone really backing him up. Even when we did have Skinner, we didn't play him much (I personally think we should have). Therefore Brad can't take many petty fouls since according to 82games, he is our most important player on the court (although I know it's Artest).

The thing is, who exactly is dominant on both sides of the court that is really a center in the league?

Shaq and Yao are really only centers dominant on both sides of the court.

Camby, Ben Wallace, Chandler and Joel are very good defensively. Camby is better offensively then both but like Brad he like's to shoot it rather than be in the paint. Dampier has also looked good in the playoffs versus Shaq

Offensively you have Brad, Z as the only really good offensive centers not named Yao.

Other players who could be considered "pretty good offensively" are Nenad, and Okur but both like Brad are undersized.

Kaman, Bogut and Perkins? are looking to be some of the better centers who are young but I don't think any will be on the level of Yao or Shaq. I know you can include names like Dwight Howard, Amare on this list but they are truly 4s. They are both extremely athletic in comparison to almost anyone on this list. But if they were included I can see why you wouldn't put Brad on a Top 10 list.

Personally this is how I feel about the players:

Offensively:

1. Shaq
2. Yao
3. Brad
4. Z
5. Okur

Defensively

1. Ben
2. Shaq
3. Yao
4. Camby
5. Chandler/Joel

Overall

1. Shaq
2. (very close now) Yao
3. Camby (if he could stay healthy)
4. Ben
5. Z
6. Brad

If you include Howard and Amare, I put them right up there with Shaq and Yao.

I definitley see some of your guys points, ya camby is pretty beastly, but the bottom line is he doesn't stay healthy. Also someone mentioned jj going for 18 against brad in last years playoffs.. well he just returned from a broken leg and his first game back was in that series, not only that but jj went on to play resonably well in the 6 games aganst S.A.U guys are talking about trading brad for a low post center, then whose going to spread the floor? I love bonzi and ron ron, but their strengths are intensity, defense, and low post play, their decent shooters but defenses will sag on bonzi and they'll always dare ron to hit the three. So assuming sar starts next season, when/if kenny comes off the bench the kings will have almost no long range threats except for mike and kevin, and hopefully cisco, sar is good from maybe 18 feet in but his shot is very flat and not extremley consistent. Lastly if brad goes then Mikes going to have to make more plays for teammates, which will likely take a toll on his scoring and shooting, and if mikes tired and cant shoot, then wel have almost no shooters, and a bunch of guys clogging the lanes. Hopefully brad can revert back to being an enforcer in the paint, as well as continuing to play good offense.

Why? Miller has a rare abilty. Hes a 7 foot center who can shoot 3s. he is a solid rebounder. I dont think Miller is da problem. but like i said in anotha post..a trade fo KG would just be stupid of minnesota.

Brad Miller is a bottom of top 8/10 centers in the league.

Shaq/Yao/Ben/Camby/Kaman/Kurt Thomas/Mourning/Brad...
alright, you really can't put Kaman and Kurt above Brad, because, honestly, they only have their decent games against him.

my list

Shaq/Yao/Wallace/Gasol/Camby/Miller/Zydrunas/Kaman/ and Tie between Curry, Mohammed and Kurt thomas
ha. did you guys know that Cisco had like three blocks less than Curry did thsi year?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
alright, you really can't put Kaman and Kurt above Brad, because, honestly, they only have their decent games against him.

my list

Shaq/Yao/Wallace/Gasol/Camby/Miller/Zydrunas/Kaman/ and Tie between Curry, Mohammed and Kurt thomas
ha. did you guys know that Cisco had like three blocks less than Curry did thsi year?

Er...Kurt's been a 10 and 10 guy in this league with defense with or without Brad. He's just happens to be a PF.

And Kaman took the huge step this year and MAY have been better than Brad. Nearly 12 10 1.5blks on 54% shooting. In two years there will be no doubt.

And Kaman took the huge step this year and MAY have been better than Brad. Nearly 12 10 1.5blks on 54% shooting. In two years there will be no doubt.
indeed. i would not have put kaman ahead of brad prior to this season, but kaman really stepped it up. he was, what, a top 5 rebounder this last season? top 3, maybe? he's nothing special, and comes from the same slow-footed can't jump white guy mold as brad miller, but he's stronger and has more of a desire to bang inside.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
indeed. i would not have put kaman ahead of brad prior to this season, but kaman really stepped it up. he was, what, a top 5 rebounder this last season? top 3, maybe? he's nothing special, and comes from the same slow-footed can't jump white guy mold as brad miller, but he's stronger and has more of a desire to bang inside.

Actually that's the one thing I think is impressive about Kaman. Huge caveman looking guy, but he's got really quick feet for a guy that size. Almost too quick, he's kind of hyper + needs to be a little more deliberate at times. Still, he really gets around for a guy that size. Brad...is more skilled obviously, but always looks like he's running in mud. Moving always looks difficult for him.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
My impression of Kaman is always going to be hampered by his appearance. But he is still coming into his own while Brad's skills are clearly fading. Anyone who thinks he only has good games against us doesn't watch the Clippers against anyone but us. I also fail to see how that can be constituted as an argument FOR Brad, but whatever.

Back to his looks, that hair isn't doing him any favors. Why does he deem it necessary?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Actually that's the one thing I think is impressive about Kaman. Huge caveman looking guy, but he's got really quick feet for a guy that size. Almost too quick, he's kind of hyper + needs to be a little more deliberate at times. Still, he really gets around for a guy that size. Brad...is more skilled obviously, but always looks like he's running in mud. Moving always looks difficult for him.
That made me laugh for some reason. Probably because there is so much truth to it, unfortunately.

R

Rome

my list

Whether you like it or not, Kaman is better than Brad Miller at this point of his career. Kaman can do a lot of things. He can take it to the basket and score, rebound, block shots, or step away from the paint and shoot the jumper.

R

Rome

if you count Diaw as a center than I think he's better than Brad Miller too. Sure you can say "well he's not a real center" but why can Brad Miller be labeled as a center if he can't do what a center does.

While starting as a center for the Suns. Diaw displayed some amazing stats including 15 ppg, 8 rpg, 7 apg and 50% fg pt.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Brad isnt the best defensive center. I agree, but I'll argue that it isnt all his fault. Bibby is the true matador who cant stay in front of his man. If Brad is always rotating to the penetrating guard then he leaves his man open for the easy dish, he fails to box out, and he doesnt grab boards. The job of 'guardian of the key' has fallen into Brads lap, a job that he is not suited for. If the Kings had a defensive minded PG to pair with Bonzi and Artest, then Brad wouldnt always be rotating out of position playing help defense. Pair Brad Miller up with a lock down defensive point guard, or pair him up with a shot blocking 4, but dont pare down his abilities...Brad Miller is a top 5 center in the NBA. Bonzi and Artest spend too much time on the block for the Kings to have a back to the basket type center. Brad Miller is a good fit for the Kings personnel. Id still trade him if the right deal came along, but Id prefer to keep him. Id rather trade Mike Bibby for someone like Dalembert, and then concentrate on signing someone like Cassell or Banks, or trading for Brevin Knight.

Brad was a solid rebounder before he broke his leg trying to make a lay up(I think)...
brad miller's career avg of 7.8 rbs/game is mediocre at best.

chris webber, a power forward who has been hobbled by a bum knee the last 3 seasons has a career avg of 10.1 rbs/game. that's solid, for perspective.

in no particular order: shaq, ben wallace, yao ming, dwight howard, okafor, stoudemire...

just some of the guys i'd rather have over brad miller right now. brad in the top 3 is pretty ridiculous.

your hella smart jerryaki, except i said center, and dwight is not a center nor is he better than brad, he just had one good year, wait and see what else he does, what were his averages like 15 and 12, well brads had 17, 10+, and 3+, making the WESTERN confrence all star team, and assisting the team in going past the first round, dwights helped his team do nothing, and did it on a team with nothing, brads done it on a team with peja having an mvp year,. Emekas not a center, and he had one okay season, but cant stay healthy, and if hes so good why does his team suck, good pkayers make there tema better, brad does that, if emeka were that great he'd be like chris paul, and itleast have his team competing. Man i cant believe your a senior member on a kings site, i laugh at your stupidity, you know little to nothing. You and the guy who said kurt thomas is good, are not very educated nba fans, clearly being a senior member means nothing as far as nba knowledge goes.

Last edited:
bringing up brad's past credentials isn't relevant; you bring up his stat line, and that's what, career (keyword you used: "had")? we're talking about the ranking of players today. so that all-star stuff is great, but he's obviously a former shade of what he used to be.

you got me there, dwight's not a center...by virtue of...how his team uses him...even though stoudemire and wallace are undersized centers...even though phoenix used BORIS DIAW as a center...i didn't know we were sticking to strict espn classifications of positions here. maybe you should have restricted it as "centers who are above 7 feet and are white." then yes, brad miller is top 3.

good players make their teams better? did you watch the first half of the kings' season this year when brad's awesomeness carried this team to a stellar record? or the latter half when brad miller again carried the team with his herculean effort? or the playoffs when he completely shutdown the lane against those rascally spurs? did ya? </sarcasm>

way to go on the attack on my senior status. clearly you are an intelligent, rational, completely mature individual who knows boatloads of nba knowledge. i bow to your vast wisdom and how you have emasculated me with your mastery of nba factoids, and i shall forever proclaim the wonders of he who is named brad miller: second coming of wilt chamberlain. :)

i really wish i had that icon of the poking of the troll. :D

dwight is not a center nor is he better than brad, he just had one good year, wait and see what else he does, what were his averages like 15 and 12, well brads had 17, 10+, and 3+, making the WESTERN confrence all star team, and assisting the team in going past the first round, dwights helped his team do nothing, and did it on a team with nothing, brads done it on a team with peja having an mvp year,.
that's awesome! brad miller totally willed this team to second round even though he was on a team that consisted of vlade, peja, webber, christie, and bibby.

no way howard could've done that with those guys! he ain't no brad miller!!!!! no wonder the magic are going nowhere. put miller on the magic and it's finals, here we come!!!! :D

Last edited:
R

Rome

OMG I just starting reading moradi420's post about how Dwight is not better than Miller and I got shocked!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Do you watch basketball? Im sorry but you're not worthy of speculating any nba player for saying something like that. Just in case you were too busy looking at big brad's stats here's a little news flash for you, DWIGHT IS 2nD in the NBA in REBOUNDS!! #1 in total rebounds!!! also he scores more points a game than the precious Brad Miller you made a topic about. You also want to know another secret? Brad Miller is not a top 3 center.... Heck its hard to even call him a center when he's 18 ft ooops im mean 22 ft away from the hoop.