Who wants to KEEP THE TEAM AS IS?

Should we keep our team as is for next season?

• Keep our team exactly as is, from 1-12

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Keep ALL of our core 8-9 players in tact, +/- a few pieces

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Make one or more changes to our core

Votes: 58 65.2%

• Total voters
A lot of talk has centered around this team being a very talented, but "flawed" team which needs some changes to be a true contender. However, the more I think about it, the more I think that this team is something really special that could stand on its own, given another year to develop (or maybe in this year's playoffs).

Do you think we should keep all of our core 7-8 players in tact? (most noteworthy: resigning Bonzi)

Last edited:
I would be sickened if we left this team as is... we are good, a playoff team, but will not win any rings. Not to beat a dead horse... but we neeeeeeeeed a rough and tought rebounder/tough block shot defender... nough said

R

Rome

The truth is that that this team is short of a defensive big from becoming a true contender. Ron Artest has improved this team defensively but they still lack shot blocking which is important if you want to have any impact in the playoffs.

My offseason plan would be to trade KT and get and go after a big that can rebound and block shots next to Brad Miller. That way Bibby's defense won't hurt us as much because the defensive big will contest/block shots.

Keep SAR as 6th man. I think he even has a good chance of winning it with the kind of numbers he puts.

Resign Bonzi to a new contract.

Get bigger in the frontcourt and get a pure shooter for the bench, we don't need more (this is under the assumption that Bonzi comes back).

Jason Hart has actually been playing very well lately. Did it just take him a long time to figure us out or is he just trying badly to get a spot on the playoff roster?

R

Rome

Sirius said:
Get bigger in the frontcourt and get a pure shooter for the bench, we don't need more (this is under the assumption that Bonzi comes back).

Jason Hart has actually been playing very well lately. Did it just take him a long time to figure us out or is he just trying badly to get a spot on the playoff roster?
Isn't Kevin Martin a pure shooter. Or maybe we should trade for Q Rich.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Rome said:
The truth is that that this team is short of a defensive big from becoming a true contender. Ron Artest has improved this team defensively but they still lack shot blocking which is important if you want to have any impact in the playoffs.

My offseason plan would be to trade KT and get and go after a big that can rebound and block shots next to Brad Miller. That way Bibby's defense won't hurt us as much because the defensive big will contest/block shots.

Keep SAR as 6th man. I think he even has a good chance of winning it with the kind of numbers he puts.

Resign Bonzi to a new contract.

This covers it all. Get help in the frontcourt, particularly at the C and slide Brad to the PF. Bring SAR off the bench. Re-sign Bonzi. Keep Kevin & Cisco. Trade anyone else (not named Artest or Bibby). Oh, and sign a better backup PG.

That means keep everyone. Who would want KT (no name, size), unless we trade him as a part of multi-player trade involving one or two starters.

- Keep our team exactly as is, from 1-12: no frontline, bench (depth).
- Keep ALL of our core 8-9 players in tact, +/- a few pieces: could bring depth, solid playoff team, no title.
- Make one or more changes to our core: this is the best option and the benchwarmers need to be included.

Last edited:
Trading Kenny Thomas is much easier said than done. Thomas still has 4 years and $30 mil left on his contract.
If the Kings are looking to upgrade and get a defensive big who will block/contest shots and go after a big rebound, why would any other team pull that trade?

Looking at the Kings salary, it looks like the player with the best trade value (outside Bibby, Miller, Artest, and the relative value of SAR) is Corliss. He has an expiring $6.5 mil contract.

Maybe if you pair Thomas and Corliss together, then you can do some work.

Either draft a good backup PG or shotblocking/rebounding big and sign or trade for the other, preferrly trade KT.

Sign back Bonzi.

We'll be straight

Im hoping we can draft the PG from UCONN (i temporarily forgot his name for some strange reason) if he is still there when we have our pick. He is a very good PG with good decision making and a solid jumpshot.

I'd definitely be in favor of seeing KT moved. While he's certainly played well, he's not the long-term answer for us at PF and I still feel like he's going to explode at any moment and become a real chemistry problem.

I love having Bonzi and Ron together... but I have a sneaking suspicion we might see Bonzi used as a trade piece as well although I'd really love to see him stay.

Don't agree about KT "blowing up", but do agree about trading him and getting a defensive big. Re-signing Bonzi and getting a better back-up small guard are needed also. If Bonzi's not re-signed, get a vet. swingman in the form of a hustler/scorer.

Teams I think Thomas could be traded to:

Portland/Houston/Milwaukee/Minnesota (they do want a rebounder to help KG)/Knicks/Wizards

Last edited:
M

MrBiggs

Package KT and Garcia for a serviceable big man or point guard, depending on how the draft goes. If we don't get a big in the draft (Leon Powe?), I'm hoping that Mustafa Shakur slips to our part of the draft. He's a major pg prospect that, for some reason, isn't highly scouted.

M

MrBiggs

Kings113 said:
Don't think we draft a PG because of Petrie's boy Ronnie Price. Who did show some nice things when he played (outside of garbage time).
You know Geoff personally? It all depends on what's on the board and who Geoff scouts. They scout almost a hundred kids a season. They workout close to 30. You're telling me out of that number, not a single one is a point guard? They're obviously not swingmen, because we're stocked at the 2/3. So all those kids MUST be power players because we already have Ronnie Price.

If a point guard like Shakur is available, I think we take him.

Personally, I am a bit of a Ronnie Price fan. I even told him to his face that I think that he's the future but he's several years away from being a 6th man type of pg that we need. Even then, he'll never reach the kind of potential that Shakur can reach (Think Andre Miller with more scoring skills.)

6th said:
This covers it all. Get help in the frontcourt, particularly at the C and slide Brad to the PF. Bring SAR off the bench. Re-sign Bonzi. Keep Kevin & Cisco. Trade anyone else (not named Artest or Bibby). Oh, and sign a better backup PG.
///\\\ and I do believe we have a winner!

MrBiggs said:
You know Geoff personally? It all depends on what's on the board and who Geoff scouts. They scout almost a hundred kids a season. They workout close to 30. You're telling me out of that number, not a single one is a point guard? They're obviously not swingmen, because we're stocked at the 2/3. So all those kids MUST be power players because we already have Ronnie Price.

If a point guard like Shakur is available, I think we take him.

Personally, I am a bit of a Ronnie Price fan. I even told him to his face that I think that he's the future but he's several years away from being a 6th man type of pg that we need. Even then, he'll never reach the kind of potential that Shakur can reach (Think Andre Miller with more scoring skills.)
Just went by what Petrie has said about him last summer and in the pre-season.

No, it won't be a swingman, would be surprised if we do draft one. I really think it'll be a PF/C, and just don't know about a PG/CG. Unless Randy Foye somehow is available.

M

MrBiggs

kingkung said:
Wasn't he shot and killed nearly 10 years ago? He WAS good in "Above the Rim" though. Had some skeeelz.
No, I doubt it. If that were true, Mustafa would have been 10 or 11 years old. Considering that he's tearing it up for Arizona today, I doubt that he was shot and killed 10 years ago.

I really don't think that sar will come off the bench next year. I really think he will be starting in a kings uniform or be traded to another team were he will be able to start, this is just coming from what he done in the past. And also sar came here expecting to start and win, if he wanted to come off the bench and win he would have went to S.A. Like i have said before this situation reminds me of the Jamison in Dallas.

And do to these reasons, we could be able to move him or thomas even both for a def minded/ rebounding starting Pf, and a decent backup PG and PF.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Once again, an SAR follower is presuming to know what's in Reef's mind.

Well, I can tell you what's in his mind: Right now, he's getting ready to play in his first playoff game AND it's as a Sacramento King. He doesn't care if he's coming off the bench or not. He's in the playoffs.

I admire Shareef because he has made it abundantly clear that it's team first. That's a commendable outlook. I wish some of his fans would look at it the way he does, instead of creating a situation where people start to think HIS opinions are the same as those being voiced by people on message boards.

I don't want the team this way next season. We need a defensive/rebounding/shotblocking player. I don't think you can get that with Kenny, why would the other team do it? Maybe we trade Shareef for like Chicago's NYK pick(to draft Tyrus Thomas) and Chris Duhon?

I don't know who we draft. I wanted Foye but unfortunately the east had to suck so bad we moved up to like the 20th pick instead of 17th. Maybe we could get Justin Williams or that Saer Sene guy though.

R

Rome

Whats the big deal with SAR ? Who cares if he doesn't start. He's a great 6th man off the bench. He's been averaging like 12 ppg off the bench and that will get it done in the amount of minutes he plays. Plus we already know that we can't get KT to come off the bench...

And SAR would not fix our problems at the starting PF spot. We need someone that can rebound/block shots next to Brad. So i say stick with my idea and trade KT + Corliss/Pot/Monia for a defensive big.

Then have SAR comming off the bench for instant points and energy.

Rome said:
Whats the big deal with SAR ? Who cares if he doesn't start. He's a great 6th man off the bench. He's been averaging like 12 ppg off the bench and that will get it done in the amount of minutes he plays. Plus we already know that we can't get KT to come off the bench...

And SAR would not fix our problems at the starting PF spot. We need someone that can rebound/block shots next to Brad. So i say stick with my idea and trade KT + Corliss/Pot/Monia for a defensive big.

Then have SAR comming off the bench for instant points and energy.

I like that idea but I think the best you'll be able to get for Kenny is like Erick Dampier.

R

Rome

D
BMiller52 said:
I like that idea but I think the best you'll be able to get for Kenny is like Erick Dampier.
I wouldn't mind seeing Erick Dampier in a Kings uniform.

The guy averages 8 rpg in just 24 minutes. And he's a pretty good defender too. He averages 1.30 bpg. Thats not bad in his limited minutes. Plus he's pretty big too at 6'11.