Who is going to start for the Kings?

Lets be honest about ZBo. There were times last season he was the only one who could score. This was when George Hill was still with the Kings, before Bogi opened up his game and early on Fox had rookie jitters. Buddy had not found his game. As the season went on the team improved and were not so reliant on ZBo in the paint to score.

This season ZBo's minutes need to be reduced and the rest of the team has to find their game. That can be hard to watch until it happens so lets hope for early success.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of love JJ is getting when predicting starters. Despite his limitations, he's the only real SF we have on the roster. Unlike Bogi/Bjelica, and to a smaller extent, Shump, who all can play some SF, JJ is a natural SF, and (as of now) the only one on the roster (not counting Gabriel/Artis yet. Former is on a 2-way contract, and very very raw. Artis hasn't yet made it to the roster, and might never).

I do believe that Bjelica was signed with the intent of playing him mostly at 3, since playing him at 4 makes no sense, given our glut there. Plus, if we want to find more time for Buddy, and for Buddy and Bogs to play together, the latter at 3 makes sense, at least for some time. However, I still think Buddy comes off the bench, at least in the beginning, and we go with a more traditional line up to start. Know little about Bjelica, though was happy to read that he played well at 3 when he was required to, so perhaps people marking him as starter at the SF position will be proved right.

I thought JJ had a decent summer league, and he can be a productive player at 3. He does need to develop a more aggressive mentality. It's tough to do so, when you are lower down in the food chain. I think if Bjelica plays in his position, he will face similar challenges, at least on the offensive end.
JJ needs to prove he can do it against regular NBA players including shooting the 3 at a higher percentage that 30%. Otherwise Bogi and BJelly should play most of the minutes at the 3. Really it all depends on the defensive match ups. You cannot start a player who will get eaten alive on the defensive end.

Fox,Bogi,Bjelly,Bagley,WCS
Bench Yogi,Buddy,JJ,Skal,Giles

It might take a few games, but this is what I think We end up

Im sorry Frank,Ben,Shump,Zbo,KK but you are all our 3rd deep injury insurance, garbage min
But is sure nice to be that deep

JJ needs to prove he can do it against regular NBA players including shooting the 3 at a higher percentage that 30%. Otherwise Bogi and BJelly should play most of the minutes at the 3. Really it all depends on the defensive match ups. You cannot start a player who will get eaten alive on the defensive end.
I do agree that JJ needs to prove more. As a second year player, we can hope that he shows a jump in his game.

I do agree on playing your best players more minutes, but also believe that they should play the positions of their strength, as much as possible. Playing Bogi at 3 in short stretches might be good, but is likely not a long term solution (and yes, having two of our better players in Buddy and Bogi at 2 is a good problem to have, but a problem we need to solve anyway). Let's see about BJelly, but I'm hopeful about JJ.

Or maybe, it's just my over optimism talking. I have been more bullish on this group than most folks here :)

I do agree that JJ needs to prove more. As a second year player, we can hope that he shows a jump in his game.

I do agree on playing your best players more minutes, but also believe that they should play the positions of their strength, as much as possible. Playing Bogi at 3 in short stretches might be good, but is likely not a long term solution (and yes, having two of our better players in Buddy and Bogi at 2 is a good problem to have, but a problem we need to solve anyway). Let's see about BJelly, but I'm hopeful about JJ.

Or maybe, it's just my over optimism talking. I have been more bullish on this group than most folks here :)
The Kings FO thought Bogdan at the 3 was a solution in their pursuit of LaVine, or they had the notion of benching him too (LaVine being less able to play SF)

ZBo might start, but it won't be to showcase him. The only reason would be that Dave trusts him more than others, which I doubt would be the case now. Even if he does, I'm pretty sure he understands that he needs to find time for the young guys who are part of the future.

ZBo will be tough to trade, and certainly not at the beginning of the year. He may find some suitors around the trade deadline, if that team feels that he can help them make the PO, or help them there if they make it. That would be a very very small market. Coupled with his decent sized salary, our lack of roster spots (unless other moves are made) meaning we can't really take back more players, our unwillingness to take long term contracts unless it's something that meets our needs, and the certainty of a team giving up a useful piece to rent a 37 year old for half a season, his contract would be close to being untradeable (unless it's part of a larger deal, where he's more a salary filler, than a useful player, in which case his skills don't matter much).
If we are willing to take salary back ZBo will be easy to trade.

If we are willing to take salary back ZBo will be easy to trade.
I doubt the FO takes on salary, unless it's a clear no-brainer. And if it's a no-brainer, why would the other team give him up for ZBo? We'd have to give up some young asset(s) in return. In that case, he becomes more of a salary, than a player traded for his on-court performance.

WCS heading into RFA and Giles should combine well in the front court. Seeing WCS dialed in for once consistently should be big

Id like Hield to crack into the starting rotation but dont think it happens initially. Fox, Hield and Bog will be deadly and i think Buddy is having a great offseason putting in work.

What id like and what it should be by mid season:

Fox
Buddy
Bogdan
Giles
WCS

Wouldn't it be nice if the Kings found a lineup that works early on and we don't see every combination in the book throughout most of the season?
I think a lineup of Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Bjelicia and one of WCS, Giles, Bagley will be the teams most effective lineup. This lineup gives Fox extra spacing to attack with Bjelicia at the 4 plus the already excellent Buddy/Bogi combo. Bjelicia also gives the 5 man spacing in the paint to dive off of pick and rolls and put defenses in a tough spot. My worry is A) Joerger will be pressured to play multiple bigs lineups B) Joerger will continue to run archaic Horns sets instead of running a lot of pick and roll with Bogi/Fox and even Buddy.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Kings showcased him all last season and no one wants him. It's over, cut your losses and stop wasting development time on a 37 year old.
He wasn't showcased last year, he was relied upon to score because our team had a hard time doing that in stretches.

And last year he wasn't an expiring contract.

I think a lineup of Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Bjelicia and one of WCS, Giles, Bagley will be the teams most effective lineup. This lineup gives Fox extra spacing to attack with Bjelicia at the 4 plus the already excellent Buddy/Bogi combo. Bjelicia also gives the 5 man spacing in the paint to dive off of pick and rolls and put defenses in a tough spot. My worry is A) Joerger will be pressured to play multiple bigs lineups B) Joerger will continue to run archaic Horns sets instead of running a lot of pick and roll with Bogi/Fox and even Buddy.
That’s an okay small ball line up but needs a bigger counterpart. Bogi is playing out of position at the 3.

The other interesting point in that line-up your guards, Fox and Buddy, may have the worst court vision and passing ability on the court. Beli, Bogi and Giles all have better play making skills.

That’s an okay small ball line up but needs a bigger counterpart. Bogi is playing out of position at the 3.

The other interesting point in that line-up your guards, Fox and Buddy, may have the worst court vision and passing ability on the court. Beli, Bogi and Giles all have better play making skills.
Yeah Bogie/Hield playing backup minutes at the 3 will be best for them so they don't have to go head to head with some of the big skilled SFs.

I think you're a little premature with the part about play making skills. We have no clue about Giles. He showed some flashes but his passes were erratic and very hard to handle for his teammates. Bjelica averages 2.5 assists per36. He can move the ball around but his play making skills have been way over estimated by a lot of people.

Yeah Bogie/Hield playing backup minutes at the 3 will be best for them so they don't have to go head to head with some of the big skilled SFs.

I think you're a little premature with the part about play making skills. We have no clue about Giles. He showed some flashes but his passes were erratic and very hard to handle for his teammates. Bjelica averages 2.5 assists per36. He can move the ball around but his play making skills have been way over estimated by a lot of people.
re Bjelica, I think the per 36 assist stat is more of a reflection of his role on that Wolves team, rather than the lack of skill itself. his job was that of a spot up shooter and he rarely got the ball... but he is capable of passing that is more than just moving the ball vs a rotating defense. here are couple of examples of different types of passes on drives, high post, transition... (all from the same video but time linked)

His passes were hard to handle because players weren’t ready for them. Beli was a point guard before he grew and is also very unselfish. We shall see but I suspect Beli, Bogi and Giles will set a tone for this team.

dude12

Hall of Famer
His passes were hard to handle because players weren’t ready for them. Beli was a point guard before he grew and is also very unselfish. We shall see but I suspect Beli, Bogi and Giles will set a tone for this team.
I think Giles is going to be or already is the alpha dog here but that Fox is going to set the tone here...doesn’t mean I think he’s the better playmaker but I suspect in his second year and with the surrounding players able to run with Fox, this is going to be Fox’s team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
re Bjelica, I think the per 36 assist stat is more of a reflection of his role on that Wolves team, rather than the lack of skill itself. his job was that of a spot up shooter and he rarely got the ball... but he is capable of passing that is more than just moving the ball vs a rotating defense. here are couple of examples of different types of passes on drives, high post, transition... (all from the same video but time linked)

Am I the only one who thinks he sounds like he's doing an impression of Brando's Don Corleone?

I think Giles is going to be or already is the alpha dog here but that Fox is going to set the tone here...doesn’t mean I think he’s the better playmaker but I suspect in his second year and with the surrounding players able to run with Fox, this is going to be Fox’s team.
It’s possible but seems like two very different styles

1) Beli, Bogi, Giles
Hi IQ, good passers, very unselfish

2) Fox, WCS
Very athletic, score first, get up and down

With what I have seen from Buddy this summer I think he’s trending to the first group. Bagley would seem more like Fox.

I didn’t like your idea at first because I’d like to see WCS, Giles and Bagley getting most of the min at the 4 & 5. But to start the season on a strong note, I’m liking your idea more and more. It gives us 3 excellent long range shooters which we’ll never have when splitting the 4 & 5 min between those guys. And if we start getting outrebounded, we simply sub in the best of our rebounders and have a different look.

There were a couple passes where that was the case but his passes were often thrown about twice as hard as needed to be. His awesome passing that we heard about last year showed flashes but it didn't pass the eye test as much as it was hyped up to be. Many of those would have been fumbled by even the high IQ players.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Whoever is the best outside shooter of the three should get the most minutes in that lineup, as they need to spread the floor. I think half of the time Bogs is going to get killed on the boards playing against 3s, but such a lineup can be an effective lineup the other half of the time.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whoever is the best outside shooter of the three should get the most minutes in that lineup, as they need to spread the floor. I think half of the time Bogs is going to get killed on the boards playing against 3s, but such a lineup can be an effective lineup the other half of the time.
If the Kings have Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, and Bjelica on the floor then I think Cauley-Stein is actually the best fit as a rim running, P&R/lob target in a Capela-like role as the three wings (and ideally an improved shooting Fox) would spread the floor well. But for that lineup to have any success Willie would have to greatly increase his rebounding.

The team will struggle defensively regardless. Might as well put the best players on the floor, spread the floor and jack up shots.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If the Kings have Fox, Hield, Bogdanovic, and Bjelica on the floor then I think Cauley-Stein is actually the best fit as a rim running, P&R/lob target in a Capela-like role as the three wings (and ideally an improved shooting Fox) would spread the floor well. But for that lineup to have any success Willie would have to greatly increase his rebounding.
That's a big "if." I think it's improbable that WCS all of a sudden become a good rebounder.