Who are your picks if the Kings win a top 3 pick in the Draft Lottery?

Who would you draft if the Kings won the #1 pick?

• DeAndre Ayton

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Marvin Bagley III

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Mohamed Bamba

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luka Doncic

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Jaren Jackson Jr

• Michael Porter Jr

• Someone else, who?......

• Trade down for?.......

• Trade for a Vet, who?......

• Total voters
Well, the Kings luck has to change at some point, right?!?!?!? :eek:

I'm going to call it and predict that the Kings will win the NBA lottery this year and get a top 3 pick! ;)

So, who do you guys want #1 to #3 (list in order) on your draft board, if the Kings get a top 3 pick? :)

Also, who would you take with the #1 overall pick (vote on the poll)?

Here is my top 3 (in order):
1) Ayton
2) Doncic
3) Bagley

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I'd have to go with Doncic, Ayton, and JJJ. Although, if God decides to come to me in the middle of the night, and guarantee me that Porter Jr. is going to be healthy for many years to come, then I would go with him at the 3rd spot. However, at my current age, I suspect that God might appear for different reasons.

I'm still really surprised that everyone has Ayton in their top 3.

Look at what the 76ers have done without Embiid. Undefeated for the last 12 or so games without him. Look at how fast the TWolves dropped down in the pecking order when Butler got hurt while KAT led the team. How many teams currently in the playoffs are led by big men at the moment? Spurs and Pelicans are the only two I can think of unless you count Utah but Gobert is as polar opposite of Ayton as a big man can be. Spurs are not very good without Kawhi. The Pelicans are the only successful team that have a big man as their obvious best player.

Take into account that Ayton is half the player Embiid and Anthony Davis are because he is not a good defender. He's more like KAT but I think KAT offensively was a much more polished prospect and he actually blocked shots. I just don't see Ayton having a big impact on a team winning as the #1 guy. If the Kings got the 2nd pick and Doncic went #1 and some team came calling for that #2 pick because they wanted Ayton. I'd gladly fleece them so they can have a guy that I don't think is going to have a real big impact on wins in the NBA.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm still really surprised that everyone has Ayton in their top 3.

Look at what the 76ers have done without Embiid. Undefeated for the last 12 or so games without him. Look at how fast the TWolves dropped down in the pecking order when Butler got hurt while KAT led the team. How many teams currently in the playoffs are led by big men at the moment? Spurs and Pelicans are the only two I can think of unless you count Utah but Gobert is as polar opposite of Ayton as a big man can be. Spurs are not very good without Kawhi. The Pelicans are the only successful team that have a big man as their obvious best player.

Take into account that Ayton is half the player Embiid and Anthony Davis are because he is not a good defender. He's more like KAT but I think KAT offensively was a much more polished prospect and he actually blocked shots. I just don't see Ayton having a big impact on a team winning as the #1 guy. If the Kings got the 2nd pick and Doncic went #1 and some team came calling for that #2 pick because they wanted Ayton. I'd gladly fleece them so they can have a guy that I don't think is going to have a real big impact on wins in the NBA.
Ok.....who is your top 3?

If I was looking to land a #1 franchise type player:

Doncic
Porter Jr
Young

If I was looking to play it a little safer to make sure I at least get a good player:

Doncic
Bagley
Carter
Porter would and will never be a franchise 1 even if he never had surgery

If we move into the top three my preferred choices are:

1. Bagley, he can slot into the starting power forward spot and make an impact. He's got a decent offensive game and a developing three point shot, when that lands consistently he's got the potential to be a beast. He should fit next to WCS as well since we seem committed to him.

2. Porter Jr, he has the potential to be a number one option. He would fill our small forward role without too much trouble, though he could end up playing power forward depending on how he develops and what the best fit for him is. Some seem to think he's a Tatum or Joe Johnson like player, if we get that kind of player we should be very happy.

3. Doncic, he'd be higher if I was convinced his best position is small forward but at the minute I think PG or SG. Positional flexibility is great and makes him appealing, however the downside is if he doesn't find a true role that could hurt his development. Still a fine prospect.

I would like to change my vote—I’m just not enamored with Ayton. We need ballers that can keep up with Bogi, Buddy, Fox, Giles and Skal. These dudes are putting in work. Ayton can enjoy the basketball life somewhere else. Give me:

1. Doncic
2. Bagley
3. Mikal

Yep, Mikal Bridges third. He’s a baller. JJJ is up there too, but these three cats all win a starting job by the end of training camp and have huge upsides too.

I would like to change my vote—I’m just not enamored with Ayton. We need ballers that can keep up with Bogi, Buddy, Fox, Giles and Skal. These dudes are putting in work. Ayton can enjoy the basketball life somewhere else. Give me:

1. Doncic
2. Bagley
3. Mikal

Yep, Mikal Bridges third. He’s a baller. JJJ is up there too, but these three cats all win a starting job by the end of training camp and have huge upsides too.
Yeah, I am really worried about Ayton (also about Bagley but for different reasons). I just did a experimental draft list excluding guys I am worried about for different reasons and I ended up exluding nearly half the lottery (Ayton, Bamba, Bagley, MPJ, maybe even Young). I'm left with Doncic, JJJ, the Bridges, Carter and Jontay

1. Doncic
2. Bagley
3. Mikal

that was going to be my list (Doncic 1, Mikal 3) was only deciding who to put at #2. it is scary up there with all these players with high ceilings that could turn out meh... granted, it is the opposite of the swing for the fences type of draft that many beleive is needed to land that game changing player..

I've seen a small group of internet posters on other sites express concerns about Doncic's body mechanics (i.e., appears to have a bit of a hunch back) which might pose injury concerns down the line. Any one have any opinions in that regard, as it appears that Doncic seems to be the favorite around here currently.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm excluding Doncic and Porter because I just haven't seen them.

So, I'm going with

Bagley
Ayton
Jackson Jr

Of those three guys, Bagley seems to me to be the lowest risk, but still of All Star potential. Jackson Jr. just intrigues the hell out of me, but is definitely a project. I'd really look very carefully at the psychological makeup of Ayton and Jackson to choose between them. In particular, I'd want to really figure out whether they LOVE basketball or like basketball (especially to earn a pay check) and how competitive they are. For some reason I can't totally articulate, Ayton scares me not only when it comes to his competitive fire, but also because he's more of the throwback center who is more robotic than Jackson. Also, Ayton, maybe because of his build and the way he moves, looks more prone to injury. Jackson seems to glide out there. I may convince myself to take Jackson over Ayton by the time the draft rolls around.

Look at what the 76ers have done without Embiid. Undefeated for the last 12 or so games without him. Look at how fast the TWolves dropped down in the pecking order when Butler got hurt while KAT led the team. How many teams currently in the playoffs are led by big men at the moment?
How well do you think the Pels would fare w/o Davis? How much more potent might they be with Cousins also in the mix??

The 6ers are a bit of an outlier. Besides, the player leading their undefeated until last night surge was a 6'10" player so don't forget that. But make no mistake, the 6ers can only go so far w/o Embiid. They need him.

The point is, a good big is just as valuable if not more than the wing players you mentioned. The reason there's more examples of wing players leading teams is because there is a dearth of big men in the league --- for various reasons.

To ignore potentially drafting one based upon the premise that there are currently more non-bigs leading teams is flawed.

I like Dončić, JJJ, Porter Jr. and Mikal Bridges as the best players and fits for the Kings.

Ayton, Bagley, and Trae Young are all supremely talented in one way or another, but I don't believe to be as good of a fit as the others. Plus, I tend to favor players that have shown to be capable-to-good 2-way players. JJJ and Bridges are just that. Dončić's all around offensive game and potential has me less worried about whatever defensive deficiencies he may have. Same goes for Porter Jr, as his size, length and scoring ability from the SF position intrigues me --- if he's medically cleared and healthy.

How well do you think the Pels would fare w/o Davis? How much more potent might they be with Cousins also in the mix??

The 6ers are a bit of an outlier. Besides, the player leading their undefeated until last night surge was a 6'10" player so don't forget that. But make no mistake, the 6ers can only go so far w/o Embiid. They need him.

The point is, a good big is just as valuable if not more than the wing players you mentioned. The reason there's more examples of wing players leading teams is because there is a dearth of big men in the league --- for various reasons.

To ignore potentially drafting one based upon the premise that there are currently more non-bigs leading teams is flawed.
I don't think it's flawed at all. The league is changing and unless the NBA moves the 3 point line back or makes other rule changes, the effectiveness of big men is going to continue to fade because of the 3 point shot. Players are making it at too high of a clip these days. Why do you think the Rockets have the #1 offense? All they do is shoot 3's.

To answer your questions, the Pels obviously wouldn't be a playoff team without AD and I don't know how much more potent they would be with Cousins because they were just getting their footing together when Cousins went down. If I had to guess, I'd say they wouldn't be much better than they currently are right now.

I don't consider Ben Simmons a big. He plays point for them and moves like a guard. He's a unicorn in the Lebron mold where there's almost no one like him. I'm talking bigs that play like bigs. Embiid does a lot of great things on the court but I would bet a lot of money that he won't wind up being as effective as Ben Simmons when all is said and done. I think Embiid as your team leader means you'll be a perennial playoff team but Simmons as your team leader means you'll be contending for championships.

KAT is one of the best big men in the league. Why can't the TWolves win with him as their leader? Why can't the Spurs win with Aldridge? Why is the triple double machine Jokic missing out on the playoffs? Many of the more offensive minded bigs that average 15+ points per game are on the weaker playoff teams or missed the playoffs all together. The only ones that can carry their teams are the ones that can do everything and it was pretty obvious in college which current big men were going to be able to do everything. Ayton is not one of those players because he can't defend.

I don't think Ayton is a bad player or anything. I'd still take him fairly high. I just wouldn't take him in the top 3 if I was looking for a team leader.

I don't think it's flawed at all. The league is changing and unless the NBA moves the 3 point line back or makes other rule changes, the effectiveness of big men is going to continue to fade because of the 3 point shot. Players are making it at too high of a clip these days. Why do you think the Rockets have the #1 offense? All they do is shoot 3's.
It is flawed. You're asserting that a dominate big man can't still lead a team to a title simply because the teams on top right now don't happen to have one. But it's simply not true.

Until the Warriors did it several years back, many claimed that a jump shooting team couldn't win a title. But it happened.

Like it's always been, winning a title is about having loads of talent but also the right mix of players. If a player such as Anthony Davis has enough talent and the right mix of players around him, he's going to win a title and it doesn't matter that he's not primarily a 3 pt shooter.

I fully agree with you that the game has developed and changed. But it's not like the 3 pt line was just implemented a few years back. It's been around since 1979. Furthermore, the recent emphasis on 3 pt shooting actually benefits a dominant big because it creates more spacing in the post.

If Shaq in his prime was in the league today, he'd still win titles despite not shooting threes himself. He'd need the right supporting cast around him as he did in LA and Miami, but he'd win titles and still dominate as he did 15 years ago.

Actually, he'd be likely to dominate even more than he did then if today's teams refused to adapt and stayed with their small lineups. Shaq's FG% was high 50's and low 60's back when legit 7 footers were defending him. If today's teams used undersized 4's on him, he'd be somewhere around 65% and probably even closer to 70%.

For the past 5 seasons, the very best 3 pt shooting team shot 39.1, 39.1, 41.6, 39.8 and 40.9 respectively. This season, the Rockets led the league in attempts with 42.3 attempt per (converted at 36.2%). The league average is around 29 per and the average conversion rate matches the Rockets 36.2%.

It doesn't take a nuclear physicist to recognize that 58% of 2 pointers >>>>> 36.2 of three's. All Shaq would need do in today's game guarded by undersized 4's to best the Warriors 41.6% from 2015 is average 62.5% -- which he could easily do. And that's not even counting his free throw production (even at 58% conversion) which means a team would have to shoot far better than 42% for the math to workout for them.

Shaq only took around 18-20 shot per back in the day, compared to the 29 threes teams are averaging today ... but Shaq's attempts would be higher today to take advantage of the mismatches. Then add in his FT attempts and HIS teammates shooting somewhere around the league average of 36.2% on whatever 3 pt attempts they ended up taking.

Similar logic applies to Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon or whatever other elite big you want top name.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It is flawed. You're asserting that a dominate big man can't still lead a team to a title simply because the teams on top right now don't happen to have one. But it's simply not true.

Until the Warriors did it several years back, many claimed that a jump shooting team couldn't win a title. But it happened.

Like it's always been, winning a title is about having loads of talent but also the right mix of players. If a player such as Anthony Davis has enough talent and the right mix of players around him, he's going to win a title and it doesn't matter that he's not primarily a 3 pt shooter.

I fully agree with you that the game has developed and changed. But it's not like the 3 pt line was just implemented a few years back. It's been around since 1979. Furthermore, the recent emphasis on 3 pt shooting actually benefits a dominant big because it creates more spacing in the post.

If Shaq in his prime was in the league today, he'd still win titles despite not shooting threes himself. He'd need the right supporting cast around him as he did in LA and Miami, but he'd win titles and still dominate as he did 15 years ago.

Actually, he'd be likely to dominate even more than he did then if today's teams refused to adapt and stayed with their small lineups. Shaq's FG% was high 50's and low 60's back when legit 7 footers were defending him. If today's teams used undersized 4's on him, he'd be somewhere around 65% and probably even closer to 70%.

For the past 5 seasons, the very best 3 pt shooting team shot 39.1, 39.1, 41.6, 39.8 and 40.9 respectively. This season, the Rockets led the league in attempts with 42.3 attempt per (converted at 36.2%). The league average is around 29 per and the average conversion rate matches the Rockets 36.2%.

It doesn't take a nuclear physicist to recognize that 58% of 2 pointers >>>>> 36.2 of three's. All Shaq would need do in today's game guarded by undersized 4's to best the Warriors 41.6% from 2015 is average 62.5% -- which he could easily do. And that's not even counting his free throw production (even at 58% conversion) which means a team would have to shoot far better than 42% for the math to workout for them.

Shaq only took around 18-20 shot per back in the day, compared to the 29 threes teams are averaging today ... but those attempts would be higher today to take advantage of the mismatches. Then add in his FT attempts and HIS teammates shooting somewhere around the league average of 36.2% on whatever 3 pt attempts they ended up taking.

Same logic applies to Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon or whatever other elite big you want top name.
Before the Warriors, who was the jumpshooting team that won the title in 2011?