Which Players Will Make The Final Cut?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well based on tonight's game, I would think that Barnes and Evans just have to be on the team.

The third guy is a "?". Would logically be a big man or a PG type. But the "big men" are restricted to Ford, who sucked, and Daniels and Bluthenthal who are really SFs who might just be able to play a little PF. Daniels is the only one who hasn't sucked, and he's just been mediocre. And as far as PGs go the only one who can play any is Minard, and he hasn't been impressive since the first preseason game either. Maybe with Barnes successfully bringing the ball up in this game we are toying with the idea of him being the emergency ballhandler, but you'd lose a lot of games if you had to rely on him.

Who knows about Alexander. IL to start?

So we are looking @

Mike Bibby
Doug Christie
Peja Stojakovic
Chris Webber
Brad Miller

Bobby Jackson
Kevin Martin/ Alexander
Mo Evans / Barnes
Songaila
Ostertag

Who am I missing?

Bricklayer

Put a "?" next to Courtney since he hasn't been able to play. Don't think any of the other guys (Minard, Blu, Ford, Daniels) has done enough to deserve to be kept over a proven vet, but you never know.

The other thing is that Evans is a OG, Martin is an OG (that SF experiment tonight was a predictable disaster), and Courtney is an OG. Now Barnes is a SF and might even have enough versatility to provide us with a little ballhandling help here and there, but you're still looking at youor last 4 guys being OG, OG, OG, SF if you keep Martin, Alexander, Evans and Barnes. Which is obviously not exactly balanced.

Maybe Daniels or Bluthanthal... I don't honeslty see eihter of them on the Roster in December but if Tag is on the IRor if the Kings want to be carefull one of these guys (most likely Daniels) will hang on for a while.

Bluthental is pretty much out of the picture, don't you think? Funny, in the start of this thread people... Well... Didn't praise him, but did state that he will make the team (including me). I guess he won't.

Come back to Maccabi, David !

Im not sure I see any rational for keeping Bluthanthal. He wowed em in summer leage but prety well stunk up the preseason. Asuming that both or either Barns or Evans can play the 3... forget about Bluthanthal.

I want to play GM for a minute. After watching most of the preseason, here's the 12-man roster I'd keep

PG: Bibby / Jackson
SG: Christie / Alexander / Evans / Martin
SF: Stojakovic / Barnes
PF: Webber / Songaila /
C: Miller / Ostertag

I'm going with the premise of keeping the 12 best players regardless of position. The drawback is that the roster is unbalanced; the team would keep four shooting guards.

I don't think Petrie will stand pat. He has to resolve the glut at two-guard by cutting Evans or Alexander. That's not an easy choice.

And he will also have to decide if Barnes is the answer at backup small forward for the duration of the season. Barnes is a bit undersized; he's more of a swingman.

If history is any indication, Petrie will try to add some experience coming off the bench. They need a fifth big guy, a PF/C type, and they might consider a veteran SF. A SF would be easier to find -- an Eddie Robinson type guy would be decent. In any event, league-wide cuts will be made Monday, so maybe Petrie will unearth another gem then.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think, at least for now, they'll keep both Evans and Alexander, possibly parking Courtney on IR for a bit...

I'm going to have to agree with keeping Barnes and Evans at this point, and maybe hiding Alexander on the IR.

I'd also agree with some previous comments that there really should be another big guy available off the bench too.

I noticed Gary Trent was waived by Chicago the other day - that's a guy who would come in for cheap and maybe give some good minutes.

One other name I'd be curious about - Ben Handlogten. He looked good in a game against the Kings last year and he tore an ACL and then was waived after being part of the trade with Keon to the Suns. I wonder how he's recovered from that injury - haven't seen anything about him. I'd guess Ostertag knows the guy and would have said something if he was available to play...maybe not.

jelement said:
I'm going to have to agree with keeping Barnes and Evans at this point, and maybe hiding Alexander on the IR.

I'd also agree with some previous comments that there really should be another big guy available off the bench too.

I noticed Gary Trent was waived by Chicago the other day - that's a guy who would come in for cheap and maybe give some good minutes.

One other name I'd be curious about - Ben Handlogten. He looked good in a game against the Kings last year and he tore an ACL and then was waived after being part of the trade with Keon to the Suns. I wonder how he's recovered from that injury - haven't seen anything about him. I'd guess Ostertag knows the guy and would have said something if he was available to play...maybe not.
I wouldn't mind seeing Gary Trent a 3rd option center. I think he's a decent rebounder and will be able to clog the lane.

Bricklayer

KingKong said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Gary Trent a 3rd option center. I think he's a decent rebounder and will be able to clog the lane.
He's only about 6'6/6-7, so really not a center option. But he is a skilled, if undersized PF, and like Alexander he's another guy who's shown he can score in double figures in the NBA if needed. Surprised he got released, although you never know what is going on with the Bulls and they just have bodies stacked all over the place. Thing about Trent though is a)no defense, and 2) extremely injury prone. But when you are talking about Alton Ford or Gary Trent....er, Gary, come on down!