Which Players Will Make The Final Cut?

Which of the rookies and transfers will make the team?

Mike Bibby
Doug Christie
Peja Stojakovic
Chris Webber
Brad Miller
Bobby Jackson
Kevin Martin ( I assume that Kevin will make it)
X
Darius Songaila
Greg Ostertag
Y
Z

The Kings will be a pretty good team if they can survive all the injuries. I am somewhat bothered that there was virtually no smiling or joking-around last night, other than following Bobby's lucky buzzer-beater. Depressing.

Martin, Minard, Bluthenthal,Alexander possibly Barnes, and I don't think Parada or Ferguson are good enough to make the cut, I betcha we'll find a 3rd string centre somewhere else we should of never got rid of Jabari!

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Don't rule out Bluthenthal. Although I was not impressed with him in the GS and game 1 in China, I really like his paly in game 2. If Iwere making cut decisions today I'd KEEP Bluthentahl, Minard, Barnes, Ford and I would give Erick Daniels another look. I might even keep Lie Wie arround a little longer. As far as I know both Alexander and Martin have gaurenteed contracts, so we are realy only talking about 2 roster slots unless the Maloofs break with tradition and stash someone on the ir. Persoanly I am not sure it would NOT be a bad iea to do so IF Adelaman and Petrie agree that they have 3 or more guys with enough tallent to be worh holding on to. At this stage however I would just want to see more of the guys that have something out there and get rid of the guys that are just running up the laundry bills.

X=Bluth
Y=Alexander
Z=Ford

Unfortunately I don't see Barnes or Minard making it... Too bad... Because I like those guys... Also Liu Wei won't make it either... Another sad sight... But we just have 2 PG's and there is nowhere for him to play...

quick dog said:
The Kings will be a pretty good team if they can survive all the injuries. I am somewhat bothered that there was virtually no smiling or joking-around last night, other than following Bobby's lucky buzzer-beater. Depressing.
They were probably dead tired from all the travelling that was done and was yet to be done...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
quick dog said:
qd, just a thought...they may have been coached to not do a lot of "cutting up" in deference to their polite audience. To laugh and carry on could have been taken as a dig at the Rockets...something that would not be polite to do, not only culturally, but in respect to their hero, Yao.

Bluthental, Maurice Evans, Minard.

I really like Evans's game. Liu Wei, on the other hand isn't NBA material. Gets way more credit then he deserves.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bluthental, Ford and Alexander - Those aren't necessarily the choices I would make. They're the choices I THINK the Kings will make.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Alexander (on stature/proven ability), Minard and....?

Blumenthal sucked games 1 and 2, showed something last night, has a contract
Ford hardly saw the floor games 1 and 2, showed something last night (including his limitations)
Parada hustled gms 1 and 2, had his worst game last night, is likely not NBA material
Evans hustles, but is it enough?
Barnes looks smooth, but is it enough?
Daniels is versatile, but proabbly not good enough at any one thing
Liu actually knows how to run a team, but no shooting, small and weak, much more likely Minard gets the nod
Ferguson is gone
Bland is gone

Its possible that 2 or even three of these guys might make it deep into camp and/or even into the regular season depending on how fast Tag/Doug heal. None of them look like dependable options in the NBA. Doubt any of them will see minutes except in emergency, which means no real backup for Peja again.

Actually kind of interesting -- pretty rare for us to have an actual competition for one of our roster spots.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm curious as to why so many people are convinced Minard will make the team...

And, for the record, the guy's name is Bluthenthal... ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, because he's a real point guard, and if there's an injury to either Bibby or Jackson this season, we need a real PG coming off the bench.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Fair enough. I haven't seen anything to show me that he's worth taking up a slot on the team, however.

Bricklayer

Minard also showed athletic hustle in that first game (now that I have finally seen it) and was tenacious defensively. Loved that comparison to Randy Brown -- one of my favorite old school Kings. And I think we will need to carry a third player who can play some point, and think it makes more sense to have a combo guy than an undertalented pure PG like Liu (although I do like Liu's mentality, its just he reminds me of a poor poor man's Bobby Hurley).

VF21 said:
Fair enough. I haven't seen anything to show me that he's worth taking up a slot on the team, however.
Hard to tell that from the bench;) He only played in the GS game, which you didn't get to see. He ain't afraid to shoot the ball, that's for sure.

Martin is, of course, in. He's a first round draft pick, therefore a guarunteed contract.

They are non-guarunteed until Dec. 10 (or is it 12th, I always forget) If they are still on the roster after that, it becomes guarunteed. In fact, Minards is a two year deal, if I remember correctly. I'm not totally positive Blu's deal is structured that way too, but I seem to remember that, for some reason. Where's NME when you need him? He never forgets a contract.

Kingsgurl said:
They are non-guarunteed until Dec. 10 (or is it 12th, I always forget) If they are still on the roster after that, it becomes guarunteed. In fact, Minards is a two year deal, if I remember correctly. I'm not totally positive Blu's deal is structured that way too, but I seem to remember that, for some reason. Where's NME when you need him? He never forgets a contract.
I'm not sure NME forgets much of anything. I would be sure, but I forgot how much NME remembers.

I think Bluthenthal will make the team because of a desperate need to back Peja. So, in summary, I think it will be Martin, Menard, Bluthenthal, and Ford.

Someone pretty good player may pop up after other teams set their line-ups. I have a feeling that Petrie will drop another shoe. These new guys are pretty weak.

Bricklayer

quick dog said:
I think Bluthenthal will make the team because of a desperate need to back Peja. So, in summary, I think it will be Martin, Menard, Bluthenthal, and Ford.
Blumenthal may get retained just because of the contract -- we must have seen something to make us believe before inviting him on over. But if its him vs. Alexander....well, think that's a toughie given that Courtney is a proven NBA'er.

Ford is a guy who I think may very well be kept for the start of the season until Tag is ready, and then either dropped, or maybe, just maybe, stashed on the IL. But we haven't used the IL much and really did some extreme penny-pinching last year, so maybe not. He's really nothing special, so its not like we couldn't get him or another guy like him at any point in the season if we really had a need.

I agree that none of these guys is exactly blowing me away. They all have something to recommend them, but watching them out there vs. Houston's bench, which is composed almost entirely of NBA vets, really gave you an idea of the gap between the borderline NBA player, and the borderline non-NBA player. How bad is it when I was feeling jealous that Houston nabbed Ryan Bowen inst4ead of us? :eek:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
No reason to feel bad about it, Bowen's a pro. He won't do anything for your fantasy team, but he's one of those "smart" type of players that coaches love, not unlike Michael Doleac. He's the kind of guy who'll be around the league for a long time, despite a relative lack of talent, because he does all the little things.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kingsgurl said:
Hard to tell that from the bench;) He only played in the GS game, which you didn't get to see. He ain't afraid to shoot the ball, that's for sure...
Hmmmmm. Good point. ;)

And that reminds me - I haven't send my daily email to DishNet yet today.

If the Kings keep Alexander(and his contract) it really doesn't make sense that they would keep another shooting guard. So, Minard would be cut.

I like Barnes but he is a tweener. Bluthenthal seems to be getting minutes over Barnes so he seems like the choice to back up Peja. Parada hustles but his offensive skills are "limited."

So, I think it will be Alexander, Bluthenthal and Ford. Ford won't play unless there's an injury.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
OptimusRhyme said:
Do you get any Kings games with Dishnet, isn't it like 32 for the year?
I get League Pass. I'm only hoping DishNet will pick up the Comcast station for economic reasons.

;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
Does it really matter ?

Obviously there are no minutes for slots 10-12 except garbage times.

If anyone of them gets any significant playing time = we are in deep trouble.