What's the greatest surprise thus far this season...

It's kind of early, and the end of December should provide a clearer view of who's contending and who's pretending...

but there is still a lot that has surprised many (or not much) this season, I think.

Could it be the succesful return of Grant Hill, and the surprising turn-around for the Magic?

The rise of Lebron-DWade, as compared to Lebron-'Melo?

The success of the Sonics and Suns? I made a huge mistake by putting "Spurs" instead of "Suns" in my original post :D my bad...

GP not blowing up in Boston?

Me, I think the greatest surprise this year has been the L.A. Clippers. I'm almost ready to start rooting for them, and the game they have this weekend against the Lakers will say a whole lot about their rising. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Geoff said:
Me, I think the greatest surprise this year has been the L.A. Clippers. I'm almost ready to start rooting for them, and the game they have this weekend against the Lakers will say a whole lot about their rising. What do you guys think?
I don't think a Kings fan should root for a team in their own division.

;)

KP

Starter
Root for the Clippers??

VF21 said:

;)
--Good point but it's tough not to root for the lakers to be the 2nd best team in LA!

While I am definitely not rooting for this team, I think the Supersonics have been the biggest surprise so far this season. 15-3 through today, they are looking awfully impressive. It might have something to do with a certain Oregon Duck being healthy :D , or it could just be the Ray Allen is shooting the lights out.

sloter said:
Supersonics, by far.
This is the only possible answer to the question. Almost noone even picked the Sonics as a playoff team and here they are with the best record and they've put whoopins on some of the best teams in the league while doing it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What's the greatest surprise? Just how much Dr. Buss has been willing to give away to keep Kobe happy...

supers

could it be a contract drive from allen??? i don't get it, when did that brute fortsent become tim duncan?????

i still think they will come back to earth..... one of these weeks.....

the clippers also have surprised me. i would like nothing more then them finsihing 3rd in the division. i would LOVE to rag on my friend for eternity if the clippers finsihed ahead of the lakers. oh i would just go NUTS!!!! ( i'm still giving yankees fan crap and i will for a goooooood looooooooooooooooong time :D)

the wizards have kinda been a surprise. i think they have the 2nd best record in the east right now. whodathunk!

the pistons have surprised me, how BAD thye have been. geez, they have looked like CRAP so far. i don't expect that to last much longer though.

what hasn't been surprising??? kobe being selfish. thats quiet a list so far once he took over this summer. lets see, phil jakcson, shaq, now the mailman ( who was the only guy to stand up for you... how nice of you kobe... eh.........)

Sonics are a definite surprise, as well as the Suns.

CWebb's effectiveness has made a believer out of me.

After hearing soo much about how good Memphis and Utah are supposed to be, the fact that they both suck is surprising.

Dirk being the current league MVP is blowing my mind.

Lebron putting up Jordan-esque numbers.

D-Wade has been a breath of fresh air.

That's all i can think of for now...

KingKong said:
Sonics by a landslide.
i would have to agree with all who have mentioned the sonics. the suns i knew would be much better. a team can't possibly acquire a guy like steve nash and not get better. the sonics, tho, made few major off-season acquisitions, if any. in fact, they lost one of the better 3-point shooters in the league in brent barry, yet they, along with the impressive suns, still top the league in 3-pt %, etc. i would also have to agree with everybody who says they will come back to earth, eventually, but i wouldn't expect the sonics to go away completely. they are a definite contender at the moment. its scary...

Sonics putting a hurting on the Mavs right now, although the Mavs have made a run to close within 7 or 8 at the end of the third quarter.

A

AriesMar27

VF21 said:

;)
well, i'm from los angeles and the clippers are serious under dogs... as long as they are not playing the kings, i see no problem with rooting for them. i've been doing for much longer than i have for the kings.... i started cheering for them because they were under dogs like the clippers.

Well, I think we (Sonics) are the biggest surprise. Being a fan of a team, you always hope the best but even we were not expecting this.

Orlando, Washington and Suns were also nice surprises. And also, it may not be considered as a surprise ;), but I love the fact that Clippers are doing better than Lakers.