what was the last movie you watched?

Watched OLD with family. The only thing you can count on with M Night is you can’t count on his movies being generic. Not his best, not his worst. My wife did not like it. I enjoyed it but I’m a big fan.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Watched OLD with family. The only thing you can count on with M Night is you can’t count on his movies being generic. Not his best, not his worst. My wife did not like it. I enjoyed it but I’m a big fan.
I can’t get over how bad the trailer/commercial for it is. When it debuted in the Super Bowl I thought it was a parody of bad scary movies.

I’m not generally a movie guy, but I’m counting down the days until Suicide Squad hits theatres. So that’s my next!

Watched the Woodstock 99 doc on HBO. What a literal s-show. I was 25 when the show took place and had zero interest, but most of the concert goers were within a few years of me, yet I can't relate at all. Weird.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched The Suicide Squad last night and had an absolute blast. Already planning on going back and seeing it again before school starts back up.
I've been out of town on vacation since the 28th but I think I will catch this one over the weekend.

Saw Gunpowder Milkshake (Netflix) on the plane over to Oahu and while visually appealing, the dialogue, excessive suspension of disbelief requirement, and mediocre plot drag it down. While I like Karen Gillan, this movie just doesn't seem to be the best "fit" for her. Hard to explain. It also rips off chunks from John Wick (a bit too blatantly for me) but is even more absurd.

Also saw Cosmic Sin (Netflix) with Bruce Willis during that flight and please, just....don't. Avoid it like the plague. It wasn't good at all.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched The Suicide Squad last night and had an absolute blast. Already planning on going back and seeing it again before school starts back up.
Really? I watched it today and didn't really care for it. I actually think I liked the old one better, and I didn't think that one was good. I don't know how the Guardians of the Galaxy movie could be so good and this is what Gunn comes up with on the DC side? Meh. I'm very glad I caught this on HBO and didn't pay for tickets.

On the other hand, I also watched The Highwaymen (Netflix) and dad and I really enjoyed it. Good acting all around and I like both Costner and Harrelson.

Watched Val on Prime. Actually a solid movie/documentary about Val Kilmer. Much of the footage was from his hand held camera to document his entire life…….includes some tidbits on movie sets including the crap show Island of Dr Moreau. He addresses everything….his son narrates as Kilmer’s voice is shot due to cancer treatment

I watched it with TJ the other night, it was fun. I absolutely hated the first one, but really liked Birds of Prey and I would put this just beneath that, I think. I will watch again for sure. I guess he saw it with his mom in the theater on opening day so I don't even have to feel bad about the violence. She hated it, I am told.

Went and saw "the green knight" the other night. Really liked it, but it was slower paced than some might enjoy. Excellent cinemetography, and it was decently true to the arthurian poem.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Dad wanted to get out of his house and do something so we caught The Protégé. Pretty middle of the road action flick. Not outstanding or terrible, usually fairly entertaining, and a small plot twist or two to keep you interested in what happens next. It's funny to see supposed "professional" hit men do stuff like open a door into a dark room with an opponent anticipated and stand in the doorway illuminated from behind, or have an opponent disarmed and then turn your back on them to pour yourself a drink or whatever. Silly stuff like that pops up here and there that should be easily remedied before it gets to film.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Continuing to work through some of the movies from the last movie draft I haven't seen before (I will be doing so for years, most likely, catching some whenever I can), I saw 12 Angry Men tonight. Very good movie - a bit overly dramatic at times but that is how movies in the late '50's often were. Having served on an attempted murder jury before myself, it was interesting to see how a jury room is depicted in a film like this. The discussion of various bits of evidence and how they could be a bit off reminded me somewhat of My Cousin Vinny (although obviously it should be the other way around chronologically). Recommended.

So for the peeps who like some sci-fi , I watched Monsters of Man on Prime. You got some developers trying to beat the race to make and sell functional robots to the military……and of course, they want to test them. I’ll stop there but you can guess where it goes.

It was good, I recognized one actor in it but it really was about the story and robots. A little graphic

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
So for the peeps who like some sci-fi , I watched Monsters of Man on Prime. You got some developers trying to beat the race to make and sell functional robots to the military……and of course, they want to test them. I’ll stop there but you can guess where it goes.

It was good, I recognized one actor in it but it really was about the story and robots. A little graphic
Thanks. I added it to my watchlist. Don't know when I'll actually get to it, but it's there!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I finished off another Hitchcock flick last night, North by Northwest. Not a bad movie, especially for the time, but the plot just seemed pretty....silly and contrived. I think I was never really "hooked" into the movie because it seemed so out there. I think a couple of the roles might have been a bit overplayed, but again, that's the '50's for you.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Dug Shang-Chi. It was a bit uneven between the first and second half (one of which I strongly preferred over the other) but it was always fun and often thrilling. I look forward to seeing the characters in future flicks.
We're going tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it!

Dug Shang-Chi. It was a bit uneven between the first and second half (one of which I strongly preferred over the other) but it was always fun and often thrilling. I look forward to seeing the characters in future flicks.
Agreed. Really enjoyed Liu as Shang-Chi, Awkafina was meh. Thought the martial arts choreography was really good.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
With the new Dune coming out, I wanted to watch the previous versions just to see how they all compare. I watched the 20± year old Sci-Fi Channel Dune miniseries last night and realized that while I had seen it, I basically remembered none of it.

Other than William Hurt, I don't think I recognized anyone. They tried, but the acting was definitely on the B-side of things (some "overacting", acting like they were on stage instead of a movie/TV series, etc.), with some pretty bad fight choreography at times as well. It told the story fine though. Special effects were definitely not up to par for a 20-year old movie, either.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

That was actually pretty good. There are always points in the movie where you watch what someone does and think, REALLY? But the robot animation and actions were really well done, pretty good acting all the way through, lots of action, and pretty realistic. I enjoyed that. Thanks for mentioning it.

I think they could have done with fewer/none of the "Doctors W/O Borders" folks, though. That was one of the biggest missteps in the film if you ask me.

It almost had a Terminator and Predator mashup vibe going on (at times) with the robots in the jungle. This was not as good a film as those, mind you, but just the feel.

Oh, and stay through the credit videos to the last little clip. It pays off a question in the film.

Last edited:
That was actually pretty good. There are always points in the movie where you watch what someone does and think, REALLY? But the robot animation and actions were really well done, pretty good acting all the way through, lots of action, and pretty realistic. I enjoyed that. Thanks for mentioning it.

I think they could have done with fewer/none of the "Doctors W/O Borders" folks, though. That was one of the biggest missteps in the film if you ask me. It almost had a Terminator and Predator mashup vibe going on (at times) with the robots in the jungle. This was not as good a film as those, mind you, but just the feel.

Oh, and stay through the credit videos to the last little clip. It pays off a question in the film.
Man…..can’t remember if I watched the credits all the way through….will FF to that and check it…….just watched, I think you were talking about the warehouse scene right?

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Finished up Pale Rider this evening - decent western, but I'm don't think it's quite as good as a lot of people seemed to make it out to be. If there is anything I'm running into in some of these films I'm watching recently it is a bit of over-acting, and the woman and her daughter in particular seemed to do a fair bit of that in this film.

Finished up Pale Rider this evening - decent western, but I'm don't think it's quite as good as a lot of people seemed to make it out to be. If there is anything I'm running into in some of these films I'm watching recently it is a bit of over-acting, and the woman and her daughter in particular seemed to do a fair bit of that in this film.
I loved the concept of Pale Rider more than the actual execution. It’s essentially a cynical Shane, sprinkled with biblical mysticism, and a gender-swapped Joey so that Megan’s overt admiration of Preacher has intentionally cringe-worthy overtones.

My absolute favorite part of Pale Rider though is the stunning sparseness of the final confrontation in town. It’s like a zen-tactic High Noon devoid of the latter’s superb tension. Which, you know, shouldn’t be a good thing, but for some reason I found the vast expanse of the serene mountainous scenery and whispering silence of the deserted town mesmerizingly beautiful. Far more compelling than the gunfight for which I already knew the outcome.

And I kinda think that was the point.

Oh, also, as for the overacting. I think it plays well off Preacher’s pronounced stoicism. Is it any wonder Megan (Sydney Penny) went on to star in almost exclusively soap operas and Sarah (Carrie Snodgress) was best known for her role in Diary of a Mad Housewife?

Last edited: