what was the last movie you watched?

Gerald’s Game.....meh
Freaks on Netflix. Meh

The Way Back, a movie from 2010, stars Ed Harris, Colin Farrell, Sairose Ronan(sp) among others. A 7 out of 10 stars movie about prisoners who escape Siberia during wartime and go on a 4000 mile journey to India and freedom. The rating is fairly spot on but it’s one hell of a true story.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched Happy Gilmore with my family last night - my teenage son had never seen it and really liked it. He's on the golf team at school for the first time this year - of course that is over now, but it sparked his interest to watch it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just finished watching Instant Family. I guess all the emotions, stress, solitude, uncertainty and even quiet panic of the past couple of weeks finally caught up to me. It was a beautiful, heart-warming story - the kind that NEVER makes me cry - and the last scene had me sobbing. It was a cathartic cry - and if you guys tell anybody else I'll strenuously deny it. ;)

Netflix....TheGirl with All the Gifts
It has 84% on Rotten Tomatoes, a different take on a Zombie flick, includesGlenn Close. Didnt love it, didn’t hate it, after weeks of stay at home, it was ok and that’s good enough right now.

Netflix....... I Am Mother.... a sci fi, futuristic, survival movie with a robot. I enjoy this genre quite a bit and so I liked this movie.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched The Ref with my son - one of my funny little guilty pleasure movies. He liked it - his first time seeing it.

Finished up American History X as well while on the elliptical tonight. Very powerful movie. Great acting by everyone, including Edward Furlong, who I didn't think I'd really care for much as an actor after his somewhat whiny performance in an otherwise favorite of mine, T2. Don't think I've seen him in anything else before tonight.

Momentum Generation is an hbo documentary that I finally got around to watching. Was amazing. Chronicles the early life, rise and friendships of some the most influential surfers of our, or any , generation. Wonderful is how I would describe it

Watched Detroit. Tough to watch content but I knew that going in. Just didn’t have the emotional impact I expected to see although it wasn’t terrible. Felt like it could have been better

The Scheme

I never had much of an affiliation for College Sports, but I do like watching March Madness. I wasn't naive about the fact that the NCAA is a business, just like any other sports association but this was a documentary that was put together in a appealing way. Just goes to show that paying student athletes will happen one day without having to hide it behind sponsorship or under the table deals, it's only a matter of time.

Love. Wedding. Repeat. - Netflix, what are you doing? I understand and appreciate the rush to get out original content as Disney and other distributors crowd the streaming market, and dry up the IP well. Still, does that mean giving an unremarkable screenwriter and first time director free reign to crap out a half-baked rom-com farce with a Groundhog Day / Sliding Doors element lazily slapped on?

What’s especially irritating is a decently interesting premise exists, but is executed so poorly I legitimately wonder if Craig wrote himself into a corner and added the “time repeats” gimmick as an afterthought. Been out less than a month, and already this deserves a remake: Same idea, same cast even, competent writer/director.

Last edited:
Watched The Lighthouse on Prime. Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson. Black and White. Big Dafoe fan but quite the opposite with Pattinson (Twilight films stank). Prime had it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. That’s accurate. Dafoe is great and Pattinson was good. Worth a watch.

The Florida Project - This is one of the few times I have no thoughts on how a film could have been improved, because it told its story in precisely the way it needed to. The last 20 seconds were a little too nonsensical in presenting its metaphor, but it got the point across. Otherwise the art direction and cinematography are impressive: vivid, engrossing, and compelling. Dafoe puts in a strong, surprisingly restrained against-type performance. And newcomer Vinaite in her first role is impressive playing a crude, crass, and clearly unfit mother, who, against all natural impulse and logic, expertly earns the audience’s empathy by the end

I did not "enjoy" watching this film, and believe that is entirely the point. It is purposely disjointed and messy at times, telling the uncomfortable story of an American slum from the disconnected, unmonitored child’s perspective. I get the impression Baker set his child actors loose into scenes with "be yourself" as the only director's note. And it works.

Last edited:
JoJo Rabbit - Ended up not being entirely what I expected, which actually answered the nagging question I had going in: "How is Waititi going to pull off a goofy satire about the Holocaust from the perspective of a child Nazi for a full length film?" A: He doesn't. And wisely doesn't try to. Springtime for Hitler this is not. In truth and rather ironically, Waititi plus off one of the more shockingly heartbreaking reveals I've seen in film to perfection.

Waititi's patented quirky sardonic humor is certainly laced throughout, but the advertised "Wes Anderson-esque Hitler Youth at Summer Camp" schlock gets abandoned fairly quickly, and things become positively tense. Even Stephen Merchant can't make a Gestapo visit less harrowing. Quite actually, just the opposite is true as Merchant's ordinarily disarming wry wit only works to add a layer of menace. Rockwell and Johansson put in quality work. The trio of main child actors: Roman Griffin Davis, Archie Yates, and Thomasin McKenzie (I'd say the latter most prominently) really carry the weight of the film.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Watched Batman1987 today for the first time... and it really doesn’t seem to hold up.

Nicholson’s Joker is quite good, but not Ledger/Phoenix good, Keaton’s Bruce/Batman is instantly forgettable, and the love arc is really bad.

Followed up with Batman Retuns tonight. I liked it a bit more, but wouldn’t call it good. Keaton was better and I enjoyed Catwoman. Penguin was too “Tim Burton” for my tastes, and Tim Burton went more “Tim Burton” which I personally don’t like at all.

Forever is next, and ... well... I know it has Kiss From a Rose in it which is a killer track.

The less said about Forever the better. Holy hell that was awful.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched Batman1987 today for the first time... and it really doesn’t seem to hold up.

Nicholson’s Joker is quite good, but not Ledger/Phoenix good, Keaton’s Bruce/Batman is instantly forgettable, and the love arc is really bad.

Followed up with Batman Retuns tonight. I liked it a bit more, but wouldn’t call it good. Keaton was better and I enjoyed Catwoman. Penguin was too “Tim Burton” for my tastes, and Tim Burton went more “Tim Burton” which I personally don’t like at all.

Forever is next, and ... well... I know it has Kiss From a Rose in it which is a killer track.

The less said about Forever the better. Holy hell that was awful.
I see no lies. :) The last one, Batman and Robin, is truly...not good.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Batman and Robin is on my list of the 10 worst movies I've ever seen.

And I've sat through a lot of awful movies that didn't make that list:

The Room, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Manos: The Hands of Fate. At least those show effort.
The funny part is, that was the only Batman movie I owned prior to the Christian Bale trilogy as I was picking up all of Arnie's flicks at one point. Ugh, that was a bad one.

Edit - thinking about some of the worst movies I've seen -
Punch Drunk Love, Idiocracy, and Battlefield Earth
also rank right up there.

Last edited:
The funny part is, that was the only Batman movie I owned prior to the Christian Bale trilogy as I was picking up all of Arnie's flicks at one point. Ugh, that was a bad one.

Edit - thinking about some of the worst movies I've seen -
Punch Drunk Love, Idiocracy, and Battlefield Earth
also rank right up there.
Man, Punch Drunk Love does not belong on any list with Battlefield Earth. The former is a unique Paul Thomas Anderson masterpiece crackling with life and featuring Adam Sandler's single best performance, while the latter is a bad joke sponsored by the Church of Scientology.

Also, while I don't think all that highly of Idiocracy as a film, it has certainly proven to be a timely statement, given the political and cultural momentum of America across these last several years.
As far as Batman goes, I've come to admire Tim Burton's uber-gothic vision as the years have passed and superhero movies have gotten less distinct and less interesting, visually speaking. And Michael Keaton's performance as Batman really captures the billionaire eccentricity at the heart of the character.

Val Kilmer was too aloof. George Clooney was too Playboy. Christian Bale was too wooden. But Michael Keaton was so weird and off-beat and kind of menacing, at times. I buy his performance as the adult evolution of a rich kid who watched as his parents were murdered in an unspeakably violent way.

Last edited by a moderator: