what was the last movie you watched?

Oh, I really enjoyed it and intend to see it in the theater again. My quibbles (mostly just personal preferences and not technical) have more to do with things like:

Turning Thor into a bit of a putz - I thought that was a bit much. Really, a fat slob playing video games???

Killing off Black Widow - I know why they did what they did in that scene, but I really liked her character and the role she played in the team - that was a bummer for me. I'm really looking forward to her solo movie. I knew Iron Man and Captain America were basically going to be out after a decade of films, and that's fine.

I was hoping Captain Marvel would get a little more screen time, but given her late introduction into an already somewhat overstuffed franchise, I can see why they are "pacing" her a bit right now in the Avengers team-ups as she will likely be more involved in future movies.

Just little stuff.
Totally get it. Especially your first spoiler point. But he was still a badass when the chips were down!

La llorona I wouldn't recommend it though. It's more of a one time movie to pass time but I thought they should have made the story longer and more of a film if that makes sense.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was going through a box of DVDs this afternoon and found one I had never gotten around to watching. I just finished it and I'm very glad to have it in my collection.

15:17 to Paris - As long as we have young people like Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos and Spencer Stone, the future is in good hands. Incredibly proud of these young men from Sacramento.

Have been going thru Robert Altman's stuff, really gained a ton of appreciation for his 'signature style';

Vince & Theo(1990) -- Way underrated. Very good flick. Starring Tim Roth (about Vincent Van and his relationship with his brother)

The Long Goodbye(1973) --- Masterpeice. John Williams score!

The Player (1992) --- Way underrated gem from the 90's, one of my 10 favorite films from the decade. Starring Tim Robbins with a list of Cameo's u gotta see to believe. Extremely well-written and shot.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971) --- Gritty western, I liked it. The score is enchanting.

Gosford Part (2001) -- Why didnt i see this earlier?! Netflix has it, one of the better films on there. loved it.

Theives like Us (1974) - Wasn't bad, but I like the others better.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched Harvey (1950 with James Stewart) with my dad yesterday morning - it's one of his favorites. I've seen parts of it before but never the whole thing. Cute little movie with absolutely no action in it - all character driven.

Also went to see Avengers: Endgame late yesterday (for the second time). I had a free movie pass to use and had been wanting to see it again. I always enjoy these movies as much or more the second time around as there are usually little details, etc., that you pick up on that you missed the first time.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Went and saw Dark Phoenix tonight with my dad, brother-in-law, and a friend. The movie was panned by the Sac Bee, but I actually thought it was pretty decent, and better than some of the others in the X-Men series. Three of the four of us thought it was a pretty entertaining movie, but with plot holes or other stuff that could have been done better.

Who were the aliens in the movie? They just are introduced as aliens out of the blue? Strange.

It seemed like some of the characters flip-flopped a bit with alliances or motivations.

Some of the action sequences have things that just make you say - what?/why? Like Magneto pulling the subway car out from underground. Why do that? What was he trying to accomplish? Seems like a lot of effort for …. nothing.

I think it just ended up being a movie I enjoyed more than I normally would have given the spoilered things, and that's OK. There are some movies that I think I should like more and don't. Whatever - I enjoyed this one.

Edit - oh, and one thing that X-Men really seems to have a hard time with is movie continuity. Each movie is almost its own entity, overall X-Men universe be damned. Kinda like the anti-MCU - I think each X-Men movie has more inconsistencies with the "universe" than the entire decade-plus of the MCU films do in their entirety. Hopefully they do a better job of that now that Disney/Marvel have creative control again.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Went with my wife and in-laws to see Rocketman today (they are all bigger Elton John fans than I, but I did really enjoy his concert at G1C recently). Also watched most of Bohemian Rhapsody at their house (skipped about half an hour of the movie to get to the end due to time constraints).

Both movies were OK, I guess if you really like the singers/bands then it would be much more interesting. I found both movies to be rather "meh".

Went to a fancy new theater and saw Rocket Man yesterday.

Pretty impossible not to compare them so I thought it was a better movie than BoRap but I'd probably rather watch the Queen movie 2 or more times. But since it made the story into more of a musical production and fantasy rather than a straight biopic I didn't feel the need to nitpick like I did the Queen or laughably bad Crue pics.

Movie theater we went to, A+. It is our latest living room type of operation, which we have tons of in Portland, and I had french toast and bloody mary with the picture. I wish I had room in my basement to set up that type of theater.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Took dad for a belated Father's Day outing and had lunch and saw Anna. Action/spy type movie that was probably slightly better than I expected (but that isn't necessarily saying much). There was a bit too much of the young skinny girl beating up roomfuls of armed and trained soldiers/private security on her own (a little too unrealistic) and the way the film is done it jumps around a bit too much chronologically for my taste. I understand why they did it (time jumps), but it was just a bit off-putting for me with the frequency. Fight scenes were fairly well choreographed and action was sprinkled throughout. Had a couple of twists and turns in it and thought overall the main actress did a good job.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Went and saw Spider-Man: Far From Home today and we all enjoyed it. We watched Spider-Man: Homecoming earlier this week because my sister hadn't seen it yet.

I like what they are doing with these films - fitting them into the overall Avengers universe while still letting them be their own entity. The movie was definitely enjoyable and fun. Good flick.

Went and saw Spider-Man: Far From Home today and we all enjoyed it. We watched Spider-Man: Homecoming earlier this week because my sister hadn't seen it yet.

I like what they are doing with these films - fitting them into the overall Avengers universe while still letting them be their own entity. The movie was definitely enjoyable and fun. Good flick.
With a 4 year old who loves these movies I’ve really started to watch and enjoy them myself. That Homecoming was throughly enjoyable, cant wait to take my son and see the new one.

I haven't rewatched Us yet, but I figured out what was happening fairly early into the film and thought it was really well put together so it wasn't going to be a twist out of left field. My girlfriend seemed a bit confused by it, so I don't think it's obvious - but I think if the ending threw you off it may be worth that rewatch because you might see how well acted it is in foreshadowing the reveal.

Watched Midsommar. Very artsy and not sure how to categorize it....horror?, thriller? Kind of bizarre but also entertaining in an artsy/horror type way.

I've been watching a lot of music docs lately. Last night I watched Nego Terror on Amazon Prime, the documentary about punk band of the same name from Memphis. Unfortunately they were in the news in April when their singer and bassist Omar passed after battling a staph infection, which was the first I had heard of them. Sad to have missed out. Only an hour so a quick watch, for folks into music docs with tastes outside the mainstream, highly recommended.

Also recently watched Vice on Hulu, worthwhile but not a period I am keen on revisiting. There was one hilarious gag - the fake ending - that I thought was really well done.

And I was asked to review Savage Streets, a Linda Blair cheesefest from the 80s for a podcast I listen to. If you are into bad 80s cinema of the Joe Bob Briggs type, this can be found on Prime and highly recommended. Otherwise stay far away.

John Wick 3

if you like action, this movie provides plenty of it. John should of died on multiple occasions but he always finds a way. If they make a 4th installment, this may be the last one I watch for this series.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Oh, I really enjoyed it and intend to see it in the theater again. My quibbles (mostly just personal preferences and not technical) have more to do with things like:

Turning Thor into a bit of a putz - I thought that was a bit much. Really, a fat slob playing video games???
They didn't really "turn him into a putz." Dude was super depressed: you got that, right?