what was the last movie you watched?

The Girl in the Spider's Web - Wanted to catch a movie and this was one of the few playing that even sounded interesting. I've had one day off over the past 3 weeks (worked most of today and will tomorrow as well - this gets a little old sometimes).

I haven't read any of the books or watched the other movies. Went into it "blind", so to speak.

Anyways, I liked the vibe and the cinematography was good, but some parts seemed "staged" and the plot point that the movie turned on was a bit weird. Wasn't a bad move at all, just a bit "off" in certain ways.

Her sister decided to stay with their dad, knowing he was a creep, and then blames her for not rescuing her when she tried to get her sister to go with her to begin with? And that is the big motivator for the sister???
Is this a follow up to the girl with the dragon tattoo?
If it is then no Fincher/Craig/Mara = me not seeing it :-(

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Is this a follow up to the girl with the dragon tattoo?
If it is then no Fincher/Craig/Mara = me not seeing it :-(
I think so, but see my post. I haven't read the books or seen any previous or affiliated movies. I have no clue about movie connections or order. I assume it is.

I think so, but see my post. I haven't read the books or seen any previous or affiliated movies. I have no clue about movie connections or order. I assume it is.
I looked it up and it is a part of it. If you have time watch the girl with the dragon tattoo (both the original and Finchers). I’m partial to Finchers since he is my favorite director after all :)

Barry Lyndon. Love this film, it's perhaps Stanleys finest demonstration of visual storytelling. It's just so perfectly and hilariously absurd too.

The fight scene is great, looks so much more real than some of what you see in lets say Spartacus (which is spectacular as well)

In the last week or 2, I’ve watched these:

Creed 2. Really liked it. Great continuation of the whole saga and liked that they gave a good amount of time to Drago and his son.

Instant Family. Turkey day viewing with family. Solid movie. I like Mark Walhberg and Rose Byrne. Bring some tissues.

The Post. Watched on HBO.....thought it was solid and of course, good performances by the cast. Educational for me as well.

Bohemian Rhapsody. Loved this movie. Outstanding performances in it. One of my favorites this year.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald - saw this with my wife tonight. Don't see it unless you have some working knowledge of the Harry Potter series and especially the first FB movie. You will be lost.

Better than I thought it would be based on some reviews I read, but still feels a bit overstuffed with trying to keep track of the different characters and histories/backgrounds. I think a second viewing would definitely help. We both enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Was at Best Buy to pick up another Shield TV and wound up buying a bunch of movies on sale.

Kiddo suggested Uncle Drew so I figured why not. I didn't realize that Chris Webber had such a prominent role. Plus I love Nick Kroll. Better than expected.

Imagine I'll get through a few of the other ones tomorrow, though I have to work in the AM.

Watched Ready Player One on Saturday with kiddo. I understand why he liked it so much. It's cool to see all the 80s throwback stuff too. Surprised more movies haven't done this to get the gen-x/y parents and their kiddos to the screens together. There was Wreck-It Ralph (good) and Pixels (not so good) and not sure what else.

After that I started to watch Sorry to Bother You. It wasn't what I was expecting and I fell asleep but I think I need to re-watch it when I am alert.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watched Ready Player One on Saturday with kiddo. I understand why he liked it so much. It's cool to see all the 80s throwback stuff too. Surprised more movies haven't done this to get the gen-x/y parents and their kiddos to the screens together. There was Wreck-It Ralph (good) and Pixels (not so good) and not sure what else.
I was a bit disappointed with it because the book was better and some of the stuff they cut out (basically, everything D&D related to start with, plus a lot more including almost everything Spielberg-related because he didn't want it to be about him). Still fun, my wife actually enjoyed it as well, so I bought it on sale at Amazon for $9. But could have been better.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

I'd been meaning to get around to this recent film from New Zealand director Taika Waititi (who most might know as the director of 'Thor: Ragnarok,' but who caught my attention in 2014 with his brilliantly funny mockumentary 'What We Do in the Shadows') for some time. Sam Neill turns in an excellent performance as grumpy old woodsman Hector, and Julian Dennison is a revelation as the child under Hector's care. Imagine a Kiwi Kevin McCallister with a faux gangster sensibility. Riotous movie, and poignant, as well. In many ways, it's a love letter to New Zealand's famously gorgeous countryside, and it's worth it for the authentic on-location cinematography alone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Finally got a chance to watch Black Panther. I loved everything about it. I was truly impressed by the attention to detail in everything from costuming to background scenery. It's a very well done film. I wasn't familiar with the character so I didn't have any preconceived notions. I expect to hear its name called quite a bit during the upcoming award season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Avengers: Infinity War. Go see it. Now. I have to see it again to make sure I caught everything and, just, wow.
Just finished watching it.

Not happy with the ending at all. How in the hell can they wipe out half the Marvel universe? Gamora gone? I had heard she was going to be the focus of Guardians 3. I will not be watching Infinity War again unless that whole "poof into dust" ending is just a cliffhanger heroine on the railroad tracks plot fake to set up Infinity War 2.

EDIT: Just watched the trailer for Avengers: End Game. As someone else said, "Just take my money."

Disregard previous spoiler.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Not happy with the ending at all. How in the hell can they wipe out half the Marvel universe? Gamora gone? I had heard she was going to be the focus of Guardians 3. I will not be watching Infinity War again unless that whole "poof into dust" ending is just a cliffhanger heroine on the railroad tracks plot fake to set up Infinity War 2.

EDIT: Just watched the trailer for Avengers: End Game. As someone else said, "Just take my money."

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

Disregard previous spoiler.
I think there one or more loopholes they are going to work with to bring back those wiped out with the snap. Those killed otherwise...well, I think they are gone for good. But they already have movies announced for many of the characters that got wiped out. They are coming back.

Some possibilities: https://www.looper.com/120410/infinity-wars-ending-reversed/

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The Ghostbusters reboot was on TV so I watched it. The only good thing about that movie was Chris Hemsworth - I thought he was hilarious.

The Ghostbusters reboot was on TV so I watched it. The only good thing about that movie was Chris Hemsworth - I thought he was hilarious.
He was a gem. I didn't hate this movie for reactionary reasons but I do feel it was completely unnecessary.

My son seemed to enjoy it, which is cool I guess. The problem with these movies, is they just don't create memories like the original did. Like I laughed quite a bit when I watched the new Vacation, but I couldn't quote it today whereas I can quote the first three Chase movies endlessly.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
He was a gem. I didn't hate this movie for reactionary reasons but I do feel it was completely unnecessary.

My son seemed to enjoy it, which is cool I guess. The problem with these movies, is they just don't create memories like the original did. Like I laughed quite a bit when I watched the new Vacation, but I couldn't quote it today whereas I can quote the first three Chase movies endlessly.
The thing with many of these movies is that they try too hard. Instead of a more natural humor, they start dropping more and more F-bombs thinking that is funny, or extra-crude humor, instead of just being more naturally entertaining.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I give you Melissa McCarthy as example #1. In all of her movies I have seen she is trying too hard to be funny. It's like they are trying to force the funny into the movie. Does she have some funny moments? Yes. But I go into the movies knowing she will be doing the same thing every time and it is about 10% more stupid/vulgar/over the top that it should be to really be funny more naturally.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Aquaman - I wasn't expecting much (this is a DC movie, after all) and wasn't disappointed. The visuals were generally great, Atlantis looked kinda like an underwater Tron at times, and there is usually some kind of action on the screen.

But, except for Wonder Woman, I don't think any of the recent DC movies (including this one) really get me emotionally invested in the characters like the Marvel movies typically do. The stories seem more formulaic and the dialogue isn't nearly as good. I do like that they brought back his green and gold suit - thought they did a good job with that!

And after re-watching Deadpool recently, I keep seeing the "superhero landing" and say that in my head when it happens!