What should Vlade do at Trade Deadline???

What should Vlade do at the Trade Deadline???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
True they have others, but Mozgov is likely to be traded, or just walk. I can't think of any other bigs that can produce on a contract more fair than KK.
You're talking past my point; Koufos' value relative to his contract is irrelevant to the question of whether or not Cleveland actually wants a guy who plays like that.

Cleveland is already over the cap. I think that they will try to trade Mozgov for someone that fits what they're trying to do, but I simply can't see them taking back a player that they don't want, just so that they can say that they didn't let him walk for nothing.

You're talking past my point; Koufos' value relative to his contract is irrelevant to the question of whether or not Cleveland actually wants a guy who plays like that.

Cleveland is already over the cap. I think that they will try to trade Mozgov for someone that fits what they're trying to do, but I simply can't see them taking back a player that they don't want, just so that they can say that they didn't let him walk for nothing.
He's playing 17.8 minutes a game so far this season. If they don't take a big back, who fills in?

With my presented trade earlier, it all depends on the third team I believe we may have to toss something that way too, but they may be able to get something long term better for them cap wise losing the cap hit with Shump, securing a budget big to fill the void that's more reliable, and Ben still gives them some options.

I'm not sure how they want to tinker with their cap as they are in a bad cap situation, so I think security may be enticing with KK as other moves or signings happen down the road.

OK then if they want athleticism 3&D in return and don't want the extra big - I don't mind having an extra big at all. Not a bit - not a problem. Cuz/Trill/Mosgov/KK - fine.

ESPN trade checker says this works:

Marco, McLemore & Butler for Shumpert & Mosgov.

Why would Cleveland? Their GM LeBron was pimping McLemore hard on draft day. Marco finds his touch on contender teams. Butler is their type of guy for 3 & D insurance albeit old.

Why would Sac? Fixes the 2. Costs our failed 2s. Why not?

This Trade is Successful!

I'd be OK with Marco B. getting traded. He hasn't worked out for the Kings thus far. His shot is cold and he doesn't know what defense is. Trade him for someone that at least plays D or shoots well beyond the arch as any one of the two skills would be an upgrade. All in all the team doesn't need too much tinkering.

Last edited:
Cleveland's most likely course of action, if they move Mozgov, is to go smaller and/or give more minutes to Thompson and Varejao.
They could play Love more and split the minutes that's true, but it leaves them thin if there are fouls/injury considerations. I still think they'd need at least 10-15 minutes from someone else they don't have. So I guess it depends on the return for Mosgov.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
They could play Love more and split the minutes that's true, but it leaves them thin if there are fouls/injury considerations. I still think they'd need at least 10-15 minutes from someone else they don't have. So I guess it depends on the return for Mosgov.
I'm willing to make a "board clothes" bet that Cleveland doesn't get a center back for Mozgov. That's how confident I am that they're not interested.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
They already have depth that they're not using: they still have Love, Thompson, Varejao, and the rookie Kaun, plus they can go small with James at PF, if they want to. If feel like you think that Cleveland needs more bigs than Cleveland thinks that they need.

They already have depth that they're not using: they still have Love, Thompson, Varejao, and the rookie Kaun, plus they can go small with James at PF, if they want to. If feel like you think that Cleveland needs more bigs than Cleveland thinks that they need.
I think they'd want a budget big and look to improve perimeter D. Problem is their cap commitments. I think they may be able to reorganize better than they are now. But maybe they are happy to pay Shump all that loot?

I'm not sure, I'd have to see what wing they are looking for, and how its going to go for big bench depth.

I do know that KK offers security, Ben may be a decent option who can do more in theory than Shump besides the D, and maybe they can grab someone who is capable defensively much cheaper long term than Shump.

I'll say it again: board clothes. Bet me, if you're so sure about this. Because I am mad confident about this particular issue.
Again I need to see what we can do with the third team involved. Also I'm not sure they want to pay as much tax as they likely are the next few seasons. There may be multiple moves coming.

I'm thinking broader cap commitments beyond the year.

I trust Vlade but I also don't see him pulling the trigger on a major trade yet.

We have enough to get us to the playoffs and that is our goal this season. There will be no jeopardising of chemistry.

I really don't know. The back court is probably the worst in league defensively. Starters and reserves. I think if we stand pat, teams will continue to light us the hell up from beyond the arc spoiling any chances of making the playoffs.

Miami's Tyler Johnson is intriguing, and I'm not sure they are going to have the funds to resign him since they already have big contracts for Bosh and Dragic on the books, they want to resign Whiteside and Wade is going to get payed (and his cap hold is gigantic), they also lack depth at center so a deal of:
KK and Marco/DC (preferably Marco) for
Tyler, Birdman (expiring) and McRoberts might work.
McRoberts was mostly hurt and have 3 years 5 million each contract, but when healthy is a nice big to have with great playmaking.

If Charlotte drifts away from the playoff picture in the east Batum might be avialable for a package of Ben and Marco/KK (or DC and filler), I'm not sure how I feel about this type of move.
If you are all-in for win-now it can be great (Rondo-Batum-Gay-WCS-DMC looks great on paper) but he is on an expiring contract and an unristricted FA.

Miami's Tyler Johnson is intriguing, and I'm not sure they are going to have the funds to resign him since they already have big contracts for Bosh and Dragic on the books, they want to resign Whiteside and Wade is going to get payed (and his cap hold is gigantic), they also lack depth at center so a deal of:
KK and Marco/DC (preferably Marco) for
Tyler, Birdman (expiring) and McRoberts might work.
McRoberts was mostly hurt and have 3 years 5 million each contract, but when healthy is a nice big to have with great playmaking.

If Charlotte drifts away from the playoff picture in the east Batum might be avialable for a package of Ben and Marco/KK (or DC and filler), I'm not sure how I feel about this type of move.
If you are all-in for win-now it can be great (Rondo-Batum-Gay-WCS-DMC looks great on paper) but he is on an expiring contract and an unristricted FA.
For me I am nervous about expirings if we are trading talent out. I'd much rather go for a guarantee. I don't think we are good enough to gamble and lose talent if they walk later.

This whole thread is quickly becoming an exercise in the danger of "grass is greener" syndrome. Some of the guys becoming thrown about aren't even as good as the ones we're sending.

This whole thread is quickly becoming an exercise in the danger of "grass is greener" syndrome. Some of the guys becoming thrown about aren't even as good as the ones we're sending.
You've got to have a possible deal worth mentioning to improve our defense right?

If so I'd like to hear it.

For me I am nervous about expirings if we are trading talent out. I'd much rather go for a guarantee. I don't think we are good enough to gamble and lose talent if they walk later.
Me too, but it's hard to find trade partners that way.

Johnson is a restricted FA, so that's good- and from the way I'm looking at it we aren't losing much in the trade I suggested since Marco is useless right now and KK is a good player- but we have very little need of him between Cousins and WCS.

The Batum trade is far more riskier (and Charlotte got to drop for it to happen) but he is on an all other level, if you could resign both him and Rondo in the summer you got a pretty nice roster- but like I said, I'm not sure how I feel about it- it's more of a win-now move.

I really don't know. The back court is probably the worst in league defensively. Starters and reserves. I think if we stand pat, teams will continue to light us the hell up from beyond the arc spoiling any chances of making the playoffs.
True. We are at risk. I think Vlade needs to make it clear to Karl that Perimeter defense needs to become a priority and focus every game.

Ram it down the players throats. Defense!

Is it the backcourt players, or the defensive system as a whole? That's my main question.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Reading this thread there is some overvaluing of players and some undervaluing of players going on here.

I don't see Vlade trading any of the key rotation guys that Karl is currently using....and really, if George is going to be the coach, to make a trade you have to make sure George is going to play the acquired player. Koufos isnt going anywhere....it would leave us short a quality backup at center. The team needs a SG upgrade and if George isn't going to play Ben then he's a potential trade piece and I believe his trade value is a little better than some make it out to be.....obviously not great but there is value in his youth and potential still.

I think if Vlade acquires anything it's a 3 and D guy or a better combo guard than Collison. That,would be the level of any deal.

I don;t see how any player is going to make a defensive impact in Sacramento, as long as George Karl is in charge of the defensive schemes and the substitutions/roster.

Karl has absolutely no clue how to play defense in the modern NBA, and that has been proven this season, many times over.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don;t see how any player is going to make a defensive impact in Sacramento, as long as George Karl is in charge of the defensive schemes and the substitutions/roster.

Karl has absolutely no clue how to play defense in the modern NBA, and that has been proven this season, many times over.
Agreed....makes me look at his teams from before and how they won. I mean he's been successful and won...defensively, is it because he's had great defensive players or did he have schemes that worked or has he changed or......

He has good defensive interior players here, but we just give up a huge number of open looks on the perimeter.....remember the Atlanta game when Korver had wide open looks? He missed them that night....a big reason why we won. Charlotte made theirs and they made a lot.

I've come to the conclusion that if we can upgrade our defensive position at SG with a guy like Sefolosha for example, it might not matter if we invite them to shoot from 3.