What are you listening to?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I believe we had a thread like this once before. I was watching this clip on YouTube and just had to share. Feel free to add the song you want everyone to hear - keeping in mind our core rule of family-friendly. ;)

One of my absolute favorite bands released a new album in October called [Untitled], and I pretty much haven't been able to stop listening to it since:

Genre tags: post-hardcore, indie rock, art rock

I listen to dozens of hours of music a week. One of my biggest sources of music is a local, public radio station broadcast out of UC Davis. They have a radius of about fifty miles and a website, kdvs.org, where one can listen live, explore the programming, and listen to past shows. All the DJs are volunteers and they're given the freedom to play whatever they want. Because of this, anybody listening can be treated with many different genres throughout the day and throughout the week. Genres include: ambient, drone, punk, post-punk, new wave, reggae, hip-hop, blues, jazz, hardcore, death metal, black metal, indie rock, alternative rock, math rock, surf rock, prog-rock, noise, industrial, soul, funk, techno, trance, edm, goth, synth wave, minimal, folk, country, various international styles, and more. It's just a great radio station with something for everybody, and for the most part the listener doesn't have to worry about hearing a song they've heard repeatedly before. So check it out.

I also have an eclectic record collection with a focus on experimental music of different kinds. Some of my favorite types of music are ambient, industrial, post-punk, musique concrète, art rock, and Krautrock.

Here are some choice recommendations. These are not my my top five favorites, just a variety of sounds.

Batelages by Etron Fou Leloublan

Kontakte by Karlheinz Stockhausen

Escape from Noise
by Negativland

Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt

Kollaps by Einstürzende Neubauten

I'm just going to stop here to keep from going on and on.

Pretty eclectic and diverse taste among KF posters. I don't really know anything about the music in previous posts...

Anyway. Another album I've really enjoyed this year has been Kamasi Washington's 'Heaven and Earth'. His 2015 album 'The Epic' was just that.

I'm originally a hip-hop head. I've always loved the Red Hot Chill Peppers though. In the recent months, I've been going thru catalogs of big-time bands/singers like; Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Metallica, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, RUSH, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Neil Young, Black Sabbath, Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Velvet Underground. (and been thoroughly enjoying it)

Right now I'm going thru the Grateful Dead's catalog

This track, Sugaree(studio version) and Fire on the Mountain are my favorites so far.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm originally a hip-hop head. I've always loved the Red Hot Chill Peppers though. In the recent months, I've been going thru catalogs of big-time bands/singers like; Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Metallica, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, RUSH, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Neil Young, Black Sabbath, Stevie Ray Vaughn and the Velvet Underground. (and been thoroughly enjoying it)

Right now I'm going thru the Grateful Dead's stuff.

This track, Sugaree(studio version) and Fire on the Mountain are my favorites so far.
Same here. However now a days, it's difficult to find quality Hip-Hop being released. You would really need to do some searching for that underground Hip-Hop. Who are some of the artists you listen to?

Same here. However now a days, it's difficult to find quality Hip-Hop being released. You would really need to do some searching for that underground Hip-Hop. Who are some of the artists you listen to?
Devin the Dude is the rapper who stays in my musical rotation the most. I'm a huge fan of Little Brother, the Chittlin Circuit 1.5 is one of my favorite albums.. I'm bout as big of a fan of Can-i-bus as you'll find, he took rap lyricism and brought it to new heights, I would say that I judge other rappers lyrics based on the qualifications of "Lyrical Fitness" he's outlined.... I used to post on his forum way back and J. Cole was a member of that forum too.. I really like a lot of stuff. I listen to music all day long every day... Tribe called Quest, Mos Def, The Roots, Cunninglynguists, Atmosphere..

with rap these days to me it's like I'll listen to some newly hyped and 90% of the tracks sound like throwaways, but then you get to the track where you're like "here's the potential", Dave East is a perfect example of this tbh.. I'm a NY'er but I'm not all that territorial over the sounds, clearly everything is blending these days.. to me I look for redeeming qualities, I don't mind some of the drill music, like Chief Keef and Famous Dex.

I like A$AP Rocky and Action Bronson they are my 2 favorite newer NY rappers. Logic sounds very talented to me, his initial mixtapes that got him signed are straight flames, dare I even say undeniable..

To me tho if I had to choose 1music catalog to take with me on a deserted island type scenario, I'm going with MF Doom. (I'ma just cut myself off here I could ramble about this topic for days.)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Devin the Dude is the rapper who stays in my musical rotation the most. I'm a huge fan of Little Brother, the Chittlin Circuit 1.5 is one of my favorite albums.. I'm bout as big of a fan of Can-i-bus as you'll find, he took rap lyricism and brought it to new heights, I would say that I judge other rappers lyrics based on the qualifications of "Lyrical Fitness" he's outlined.... I used to post on his forum way back and J. Cole was a member of that forum too.. I really like a lot of stuff. I listen to music all day long every day... Tribe called Quest, Mos Def, The Roots, Cunninglynguists, Atmosphere..

with rap these days to me it's like I'll listen to some newly hyped and 90% of the tracks sound like throwaways, but then you get to the track where you're like "here's the potential", Dave East is a perfect example of this tbh.. I'm a NY'er but I'm not all that territorial over the sounds, clearly everything is blending these days.. to me I look for redeeming qualities, I don't mind some of the drill music, like Chief Keef and Famous Dex.

I like A$AP Rocky and Action Bronson they are my 2 favorite newer NY rappers. Logic sounds very talented to me, his initial mixtapes that got him signed are straight flames, dare I even say undeniable..

To me tho if I had to choose 1music catalog to take with me on a deserted island type scenario, I'm going with MF Doom. (I'ma just cut myself off here I could ramble about this topic for days.)

lots of quality artists in your rotation I see. As a New Yorker I'm surprised you didn't mention Torae or Skyzoo.

lots of quality artists in your rotation I see. As a New Yorker I'm surprised you didn't mention Torae or Skyzoo.
The last concert I went to was to see Sean Price (RIP)! I enjoyed Skyzoo's - Music for my friends, his wordplay is great. Haven't really been keeping up with Rap right now tho been speeding thru other genres. U got a favorite tape from Torae? I'll check it out.

I'm looking forward to Tek & Steele/Smif-n-Wessun's new album produced by 9th wonder

While we're talking NY, Sheck Wes has potential as far as I'm concerned.

I like Kid Cudi, his ability to hum and add an extra layer over a beat is second to none... Looking forward to hear Cyhi tha Prince and Valee's stuff moving forward, I suspect Kanye made 2 very good signings with those 2.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The last concert I went to was to see Sean Price (RIP)! I enjoyed Skyzoo's - Music for my friends, his wordplay is great. Haven't really been keeping up with Rap right now tho been speeding thru other genres. U got a favorite tape from Torae? I'll check it out.

I'm looking forward to Tek & Steele/Smif-n-Wessun's new album produced by 9th wonder

While we're talking NY, Sheck Wes has potential as far as I'm concerned.

I like Kid Cudi, his ability to hum and add an extra layer over a beat is second to none... Looking forward to hear Cyhi tha Prince and Valee's stuff moving forward, I suspect Kanye made 2 very good signings with those 2.
my favorite Torae tape is For the Record

when is that Smif-n-Wessun project slated to drop?

go check out the new album from Masta Ace & Marco Polo a Breuklen Story if you are looking for some new Hip-Hop releases

Last month, one of my favorite bands from the 90's released their first song in over a decade. It's excellent, and I've been listening to it a ton this holiday season. It just feels right for the cold winter months.

Mineral - Aurora:

Genre tags: indie rock, post-rock, alternative, emo

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Pretty cool sound. I’ve had their album on my Amazon wish list for a while but just haven’t gotten around to pulling the trigger on it yet.
Pull the trigger. You'll like it. I use it as background music when I'm playing the original Final Fantasy.

I've been watching 2 Minute to Late Night a lot the past month or so, their covers are generally amazing, especially all the videos they've done during quarantine. Since I am not a Springsteen fan I totally overlooked this one. It actually made me go back and check out the original which I also enjoyed.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I just thought that as long as I was passing through I would add something in here. I spent last week being introduced to an utter child prodigy of a singer named Angelina Jordan. Not a "great young singer" or some such, certainly not a great child singer, but some old soul 1940s torch singer reborn into the body of a little girl and armed with a voice that makes you come to ridiculous conclusions, such as that the greatest female singer in the world today might be 13 years old.

She's going to blow up in an enormous way very soon so it's not going to be an unknown name for long, but thought I would call "first" on her, at least here.

Silly things that going down the mesmerizing rabbit hole of watching this girl will teach you:

1) That the best blues singer in the world to channel Screamin' Jay Hawkins and do justice to "I Put a Spell on You" is a 9 year old girl:

2) That Lana Del Rey's label might as well just transfer the copyrights in her music to a 12yr old girl, because she now sings the definitive versions:

Also:

3) That the problem with Adele is that she has no idea how to sing with emotion:

4) And that young girls playing with their little sisters on the beach often just pause to rip off note for note and timbre for timbre covers of Amy Winehouse songs between giggles.

And while you are feeling foolish for not having realized these things earlier, you may also stumble across evidence that she might already be a better singer than John Legend, Freddie Mercury, Elton John, Etta James, and Andy Williams. Whitney Houston might be/have been more of a draw last year, as Angelina is one of those oh-so-common pre-adolescent contraltos and pulled back from challenging Whitney up high when covering her last year. Then again rehearsal videos show her doing it as easily as she seems to do everything else, and she's a year older now, so Whitney may have been dusterd by now too. This girl is like finding some homeless street urchin in the streets of Calcutta who can do advanced calculus in his head.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
I just thought that as long as I was passing through I would add something in here. I spent last week being introduced to an utter child prodigy of a singer named Angelina Jordan. Not a "great young singer" or some such, certainly not a great child singer, but some old soul 1940s torch singer reborn into the body of a little girl and armed with a voice that makes you come to ridiculous conclusions, such as that the greatest female singer in the world today might be 13 years old.

She's going to blow up in an enormous way very soon so it's not going to be an unknown name for long, but thought I would call "first" on her, at least here.

Silly things that going down the mesmerizing rabbit hole of watching this girl will teach you:

1) That the best blues singer in the world to channel Screamin' Jay Hawkins and do justice to "I Put a Spell on You" is a 9 year old girl:

2) That Lana Del Rey's label might as well just transfer the copyrights in her music to a 12yr old girl, because she now sings the definitive versions:

Also:

3) That the problem with Adele is that she has no idea how to sing with emotion:

4) And that young girls playing with their little sisters on the beach often just pause to rip off note for note and timbre for timbre covers of Amy Winehouse songs between giggles.

And while you are feeling foolish for not having realized these things earlier, you may also stumble across evidence that she might already be a better singer than John Legend, Freddie Mercury, Elton John, Etta James, and Andy Williams. Whitney Houston might be have been more of a draw last year, as she is one of those oh so common pre-adolescent contraltos and pulled back from challenging Whitney up high when covering her last year. Then again rehearsal videos show her doing it as easily as she seems to do everything else, and she's a year older now, so Whitney may have been dusterd by now too. This girl is like finding some homeless street urchin in the streets of Calcutta who can do advanced calculus in his head.
I saw her on America’s Got Talent. Although I don’t agree with your assessments in the last paragraph, she is quite the talent.

Bricklayer

I saw her on America’s Got Talent. Although I don’t agree with your assessments in the last paragraph, she is quite the talent.
Yeah, I didn't pick those names at random:

this is a 12yr old:

this is a 13yr old:

her treatments, so far as a young teen, of the others are disparate enough to make comparison difficult, but she just seems to entertain herself by covering the greatest singers we have known. Probably looking for peers or something. you don't ever see her bother to cover Miley. And her covers, just casually done live, or in a single take in a home studio, are just routinely so spot on or even superior that almost every one of those songs could/would have been a hit if she had been the singer.

As I understand it the AGT thing was kind of a stunt to introduce her to American audiences, almost like a guest singer for them, since she has had major labels lined up trying to sign her since she was about 10, but her parents have been holding them off trying to give her a real childhood. She was never going to sign with Simon's label, so the timing of her character arc and exit were predetermined.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I didn't pick those names at random:

this is a 12yr old:

this is a 13yr old:

her treatments, so far as a young teen, of the others are disparate enough to make comparison difficult, but she just seems to entertain herself by covering the greatest singers we have known. Probably looking for peers or something. you don't ever see her bother to cover Miley. And her covers, just casually done live, or in a single take in a home studio, are just routinely so spot on or even superior that almost every one of those songs could/would have been a hit if she had been the singer.

As I understand it the AGT thing was kind of a stunt to introduce her to American audiences, almost like a guest singer for them, since she has had major labels lined up trying to sign her since she was about 10, but her parents have been holding them off trying to give her a real childhood. She was never going to sign with Simon's label, so the timing of her character arc and exit were predetermined.
I went back on YouTube and watched her first performance on AGT, singing the Queen song. Clearly on AGT, they insert some already “established“ performers and then make it out to be where AGT discovers these performers. It’s all good for me as you see these phenoms like Angelina Harmon. They are born to do this. The other young singer I remember from AGT is Angelica Hale.

Bricklayer

I went back on YouTube and watched her first performance on AGT, singing the Queen song. Clearly on AGT, they insert some already “established“ performers and then make it out to be where AGT discovers these performers. It’s all good for me as you see these phenoms like Angelina Harmon. They are born to do this. The other young singer I remember from AGT is Angelica Hale.
Not being an AGT fan, hadn't watched anything more than the performance itself, but watched the full version after your comment, and several things stood out:

1) Howie's cringeworthy comment: something like "I believe THIS moment! THIS performance! THIS show! Is going to be the one to make you a huge star!"

2) And then the other lady judge sitting next to him just randomly knowing how to say "you are a star" in Norwegian? I mean...I guess you could preprepare that just in case somebody did well, but it certainly seems to support the idea that everybody kind of knew already what was going to happen.

Again not being an AGT fan, hadn't seen this before, but it was really beautiful, not only her own vocals again,, but the whole trio's performance::

Last edited: