Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before: Audioslave - Out of Exile

Now: The Roots - Phrenology

Later: Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece

Am I the only one listening to music? Seems like I'm dominating this thread as of late.

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

if anyone here is into roots reggae, there is a band out of stockton, ca called Groundation. This is the best roots since the likes of Bob Marley, The Gladiators, Israel Vibration etc. Check them out and let me know what you think.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
if anyone here is into roots reggae, there is a band out of stockton, ca called Groundation. This is the best roots since the likes of Bob Marley, The Gladiators, Israel Vibration etc. Check them out and let me know what you think.
If this is the same band I'm thinking of, I saw them four or five years ago in Davis. My friend Spencer told me they were from his neck of the woods, up near Rohnert Park.

Obviously I like reggae. I always choose a music related nick when I post online. TheBigO is my favorite, followed by funkykingston. Toots Hibbert is the man.

By the way, I am currently listening to 007 (Shanty Town) by Desmond Dekker

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm TheBigO... Name sounds familiar
Yeah, unfortunately, I can no longer access the Bleacher Mob. Some weird deal with my internet connection.

So for better or worse, this board is getting the bulk of my posting.

Not to move away from the thread topic:

Silver Lining - David Gray

The album is White Ladder

Lil Bit- 50 Cent

...an 8 year old complaining he has to go to bed sooo early (10:45! :confused:) in the summer...sheesh!!

.....And a BIG huge hello to everyone this evening!! Thought I'd come on in and say hello to some old friends (thanks VF21!) and hopefully some new ones too! :p

T

thesanityannex

funkykingston said:
If this is the same band I'm thinking of, I saw them four or five years ago in Davis. My friend Spencer told me they were from his neck of the woods, up near Rohnert Park.

Obviously I like reggae. I always choose a music related nick when I post online. TheBigO is my favorite, followed by funkykingston. Toots Hibbert is the man.

By the way, I am currently listening to 007 (Shanty Town) by Desmond Dekker
yup, its gotta be the same band. was the singer a dreaded white guy. if so, you must have seen an amazing show. I just recently caught a live show in San Diego and it was top notch. I believe they are touring Europe now.

T

thesanityannex

funkykingston said:
Obviously I like reggae. I always choose a music related nick when I post online.
See if you can figure out my music related nick. then listen to it and tell me what you think.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard of Sonic Sum, but I haven't listened to anything of theirs.

I only know about them through my friend Ryan who bought Rob Sonic's solo album.

My list of cds to buy only gets bigger.

T

thesanityannex

funkykingston said:
I've heard of Sonic Sum, but I haven't listened to anything of theirs.

I only know about them through my friend Ryan who bought Rob Sonic's solo album.

My list of cds to buy only gets bigger.
Check out Sonic Sum first, gotta be the most creative hip hop album i've ever heard. I've got both albums(sonic sum and rob sonics solo)
Both are very different. on the solo album, rob did all the beats electronically and its got a very raw, amazing sound. his lyrics on both are astounding.

"My feet dangle as my feelings get tangled, I need to express but worry just how much they will accept. My thoughts are left open and exposed to their onslaught, not my destiny. It's my destination for one to find one's self through constant vistitation, I seem to stub my toes like I majored in hesitation."-Sonic Sum

He's got the most flowing and poetic delivery I've ever heard.

Hey Kingston, I'm looking for some good dub records to spin, any ideas. I've got a ton of King Tubby and old israel vibration dubs, along with scientist, lee scratch perry. But i want to find some stuff no ones heard. Can you help me?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dub's not really my strongsuit. I love early ska and rocksteady but I'm not an expert on them, let alone on dub or dancehall. I can name a few artists, but it sounds like you know more about it than I do. Sorry I can't be more help.

Not to get too far away from the thread, I'm currently listening to "Oh, Pretty Woman" by Albert King

Born Under a Bad Sign is one of my favorite blues albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.