What 3 things do you want to see in camp/Training Camp 2019

gunks

Hall of Famer
Defense would be glorious. Thought coach J would bring that to the team, but alas... Luke had the young Lakers playing super solid on that end, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm not enamored with the idea of playing even faster after watching the team lose gas in a major way down the stretch last season, but this is a deep squad, and Fox and Bagley can outrun anybody. So uh, we'll see how that goes.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
that sounds and looks good on paper and all but that seems like a recipe for injuries as the season progresses on. The season is a an animal and if not taken care of accordingly by the athletic staff, strength coaches, etc. this team will hit a big wall at some point. Having all that depth definitely helps in this aspect where you don't need to run guys into the ground with huge minutes and can even have instances where you rest them for games if the record is in their favor.

I really don’t like even faster. Fast is good, but they need to know how to play real basketball when it doesn’t work.
If we use the depth and play guys 28-30 min a game it could work in our favor against top heavy teams with limited depth. But if you play fast and shorten the bench by not playing Giles or Beli like some coaches did it can be a disaster.

I really don’t like even faster. Fast is good, but they need to know how to play real basketball when it doesn’t work.
Luke Walton on Media Day:

"When we get stops, that's when we're a jailbreak team."

"But if a team scores, or we're taking the ball out of bounds after a dead ball, we want to be able to flow."

"If we want to not only get to the Playoffs, but then win in the Playoffs, we have to be able to execute. So we can't be a team that's always throwing the ball and playing as fast as possible all the time. We have to be able to score in the half court."

"So we have to start working on execution. And understanding the difference of when we're in a jailbreak, a fast break, when we're transition, and it's more that secondary offense. And then when it's just straight, we're coming down to execute a play right now."

@48:08

Last edited:

If they aren't just focused on running for no reason getting shots up quicker in the clock will be the difference. Joerger had them run, but they too often had only 1 look late in the clock in their half court set and part of that was them refusing to take 3's and instead attempt to get to the rim. Fox can do it but he didn't run nearly enough pick and roll in space for him last year. It sounds like they've figured it out but I agree just playing "fast" isn't the answer if they are just talking about running but I don't think they are. We've already seen the mandate on 3's and like it or not, this team will live by the 3 like most young teams do. At least Vlade equipped the team with all kinds of spot shooting so for the first time there is literally no excuse not to do it.

If we use the depth and play guys 28-30 min a game it could work in our favor against top heavy teams with limited depth. But if you play fast and shorten the bench by not playing Giles or Beli like some coaches did it can be a disaster.

If they do that, again, it will fail miserably. You win when it counts with core talent, not evenly spread depth. If the concern is the playoffs we saw it loud and bright on display last year. All the deep teams were overwhelmed by a condensed rotation and had to start cutting down themselves. The truth is, if they play a free flowing up and down game and not a grind it out game then playing more minutes won't be an issue. NBA players can run all night long. It's the pounding that works against you. That's why players like Jordan, LeBron, Kobe, etc. are such anomalies. They just never quit or broke down seemingly all while taking the pounding. If the Kings take easier shots earlier in the clock minutes and associated fatigue shouldn't be an issue. Running 12 players will see this team, just like almost every team before it tuning out by the mid point of the year. Many of these players have already experienced that under their previous coach. Remember those times where one unit would let the other team back in as the starters rotted on the bench? That bridge isn't there to cross with this crop when it comes to that.

1. Figure out team defense. Are we a switching team, a help team or something else?
2. Get serious about rebounding. The technique is not that hard to learn. It takes desire. This can be coached.
3. Learn to be unselfish. That is a Walton trademark and I want to see it on the floor.

Watching the early pre season games the offence did not look that good IMO. Pass to the left, pass to the right, dribble drive into 2 or 3 defenders and kick it out to the man who wasn't open. Pacers were clogging our passing lanes and we looked predictable.

Defense wad bad. Our guys work hard but they seem out of position most of the time. We appear to have bad strategy and are behind no matter how hard the players are working. Pacers where in our face and also blocking passing lanes.

IMO too much reliance on physical skills and not very sophisticated. But pre season is early with a new coach. Hopefully our coach can assess our strengths and get ahead of the curve in training camp.