Wenyen Gabriel

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Last night Gabriel had 28 pt's, 18 rebounds, and 4 blocked shots. If he keeps up that kind of production maybe he'll earn a spot on the bench.
With Taylor playing good min with with mostly good results it presents a problem with roster space and min at the 3, but I am faily certain that as the season wears on Pedja and Vlade will get Gabriel up in Sac sooner rather than later this season.

Entity

Hall of Famer
With Taylor playing good min with with mostly good results it presents a problem with roster space and min at the 3, but I am faily certain that as the season wears on Pedja and Vlade will get Gabriel up in Sac sooner rather than later this season.
Who is Taylor?

Mind fart I was was thinking of Troy... in my defense I have been grading student papers and speeches for 5 days straight and the names are starting to blur with my vision... they are some how all becoming "what's his/her face" to me.
I was thinking you can't spell Taylor without T-r-o-y :D

So how did Gabriel do this year and what’s his status? I thought he had some potential but then I lost track of him. If any of you followed him through the season, let us know how he did and whether he’s on the King’s radar for next season. Or should be.

So how did Gabriel do this year and what’s his status? I thought he had some potential but then I lost track of him. If any of you followed him through the season, let us know how he did and whether he’s on the King’s radar for next season. Or should be.
In 20.7 mins, he averaged 10.1 pts, 1.1 asts, 6.6 rbs, 1.1 blks, 0.5 stls while shooting 48.8% from the field (37% 3pt, 73.8% FT).

Anyone know if he found a position this year? His stats are decent, but that doesn’t tell us enough.
We signed him to a 2-way contract, but I don’t recall him ever being called to suit up for a Sactown Kings game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
In 20.7 mins, he averaged 10.1 pts, 1.1 asts, 6.6 rbs, 1.1 blks, 0.5 stls while shooting 48.8% from the field (37% 3pt, 73.8% FT).
Don't remember the exact numbers, but in his final game of the season, he put up something like 32 pts, 14 rebounds, and had 5 blocked shots. It was his best game of the year, and a great way to finish off the season. I expect him to be on our summer league team and it wouldn't surprise me to see him on our roster next year since well have some roster openings.

I know he didn't see any time with the parent club, but I think the Kings thought it would be better use of his time playing in Stockton, than sitting at the end of the Kings bench.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Anyone know if he found a position this year? His stats are decent, but that doesn’t tell us enough.
We signed him to a 2-way contract, but I don’t recall him ever being called to suit up for a Sactown Kings game.
Just a guess, but I think the Kings see him as a combo forward who can play both the SF and PF positions. He's a good athlete, who at Kentucky was always a good defender and rebounder. He seemed to have a nose for the ball. What he lacked was offensive experience. Something that can only come from minutes on the floor, making mistakes, and learning from them. Better done in Stockton than on the parent club that's fighting for a playoff berth. Which was the position last season.

Just a guess, but I think the Kings see him as a combo forward who can play both the SF and PF positions. He's a good athlete, who at Kentucky was always a good defender and rebounder. He seemed to have a nose for the ball. What he lacked was offensive experience. Something that can only come from minutes on the floor, making mistakes, and learning from them. Better done in Stockton than on the parent club that's fighting for a playoff berth. Which was the position last season.
Just watched the highlights from his last game. Impressive (to the extent that a highlights video shows anything). He looks to be all you say: good athlete. Good defender and rebounder. Can make outside shots, but probably gets most of his points on dunks and put backs. Athletic. His body moves like an athletic 7 footer. Maybe a little less impressive for a 6-9 guy. Couldn't tell from the video if he's got good hands or a good handle. Or if he has lateral quickness. Or if the shotblocking ability he showed at Kentucky will translate to the NBA (probably not). Or where he is on the BBIQ spectrum. But I like him and hope he gets a shot at the roster next year, beginning with a summer league invite.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just watched the highlights from his last game. Impressive (to the extent that a highlights video shows anything). He looks to be all you say: good athlete. Good defender and rebounder. Can make outside shots, but probably gets most of his points on dunks and put backs. Athletic. His body moves like an athletic 7 footer. Maybe a little less impressive for a 6-9 guy. Couldn't tell from the video if he's got good hands or a good handle. Or if he has lateral quickness. Or if the shotblocking ability he showed at Kentucky will translate to the NBA (probably not). Or where he is on the BBIQ spectrum. But I like him and hope he gets a shot at the roster next year, beginning with a summer league invite.
Gabriel was a 5 star athlete coming out of highschool and I firmly believe he got lost in the numbers at Kentucky. Every year he was there, they brought in a couple of big name highschool players that took away his potential minutes. If he had chosen a team like Villanova, or Virginia, I think he would have benefited more, and got more playing time. But it is what it is right now. He's originally from the Sudan, and his first name, Wenyen, means "Wipe your tears" in Sudanese. He got that name in honor of his sister who died one year before after being born.