Welcome Davion Mitchell

Players height is NOT recorded by their height in bare feet.
Do other players not wear shoes? Why do they provide the "with shoes" and "without shoes" measurements then? Last I checked my shoes aren't a part of my body. Quick, somebody jump into the combine measurement line with a pair of stilettos on!

This is a dumb argument. Dude is 6'0". I didn't say he can't do things on the court because of his height. Simply stating a fact. Devion Mitchell is 6'0".

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
He was measured 6'0" barefoot, but players usually play with shoes on.
With shoes he measured 6'1.25" so he should really be listed at 6'1", but he is listed in several places as 6'2"
In NBA terms, 6'1.25" in shoes comes out to 6'2" on roster sheets following the "always round up" rule. They've been doing it this way for as long as I can remember. You might as well take an inch off everyone's official height if you're wondering about Mitchell's height relative to other players, which is what actually matters right?

In NBA terms, 6'1.25" in shoes comes out to 6'2" on roster sheets following the "always round up" rule. They've been doing it this way for as long as I can remember. You might as well take an inch off everyone's official height if you're wondering about Mitchell's height relative to other players, which is what actually matters right?
Some players have lifts in their shoes too.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Do other players not wear shoes? Why do they provide the "with shoes" and "without shoes" measurements then? Last I checked my shoes aren't a part of my body. Quick, somebody jump into the combine measurement line with a pair of stilettos on!

This is a dumb argument. Dude is 6'0". I didn't say he can't do things on the court because of his height. Simply stating a fact. Devion Mitchell is 6'0".
Literally every NBA player’s official listed height is in shoes so for the purpose of the argument on an NBA forum, he’s not 6’0” unless you’re also gonna say Moses Moody is 6’5”, Cad Cunningham is 6’6”, and Joel Embiid is actually 6’11”.

Also, his name is Davion.

The official listed heights of ALL players in the NBA is with their shoes on.
For example, I'm 5'11.75 w/o shoes, but would be listed as 6'1 if I was in the NBA. I once stood next to Bobby Jaskson (listed at 6'1) and was the same height as him.

Can we start a separate thread about players heights? I’d prefer this one talk about how Davion is playing. This dude is just different. The speed and power this man plays with is fun to watch.
my guess is he’s gonna lead the 2nd unit this year and be a big spark plug for us. At times, when either Fox or Ty are having a bad game he can come off the bench and bring up the intensity for the starting unit. This team wants to win like any other team but we lack the confidence and heart. Ty was the beginning of the change of culture but Mitchell gonna be the one that instills the dog and the heart. I better see this team getting angry at opposing players for trying to push them around this year

I haven't seen any SL games, but just watched the last nights game highlights and I have to say, he looks freaking goooooood!!!!!

The way he dribbles and moves with the ball looks like another Mitchell - Donovan, but that defense, JUST WOW!!!

So far so good!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Kings play the Washington Wizards on Tuesday, and Mitchell is still trying to find a way to get some extra work in.

“He called me this morning and asked if we can go to the gym and get some shots up, and I said, ‘Young fella, there isn’t a gym available,’” Jackson said. “He’s trying to get some real work in on gamedays, and it’s not for show. He just wants to be in the gym. We just have to teach him how to manage his body on gamedays because he can’t do that for 82 games. I’m never going to tell a player to not work hard, but there are ways of doing it smart.

“He gives our team a toughness we really haven’t had. And it’s no knock on our guys, but he’s different. When you’re a small guy, you’ve got to fight and scrap for everything, and so I get why he works so hard. This brother is special, and we’re lucky to have him.”

Particularly like this excerpt:

Mitchell divulged he had worked out at 8 a.m. for a few hours and then returned to the gym around noon for another hour or so workout before the 5 p.m. practice. The Kings then made the decision to pull him from practice.

“I just looked at him and said, ‘You really worked out twice before coming here? Bro, you can’t be doing that,’” Jackson said of his recollection. “He has an unbelievable work ethic. He’s a tough kid and competitive as they come. But we’ve definitely had to scale him back a little. He’s just wired differently.”

Mitchell said he’s heard that about himself.

“I just love the game of basketball,” Mitchell told Yahoo Sports. “I love competing. When you watch me out there, you can see I hate to lose. I play hard. What motivates me is this game.”

Particularly like this excerpt:

Mitchell divulged he had worked out at 8 a.m. for a few hours and then returned to the gym around noon for another hour or so workout before the 5 p.m. practice. The Kings then made the decision to pull him from practice.

“I just looked at him and said, ‘You really worked out twice before coming here? Bro, you can’t be doing that,’” Jackson said of his recollection. “He has an unbelievable work ethic. He’s a tough kid and competitive as they come. But we’ve definitely had to scale him back a little. He’s just wired differently.”

Mitchell said he’s heard that about himself.

“I just love the game of basketball,” Mitchell told Yahoo Sports. “I love competing. When you watch me out there, you can see I hate to lose. I play hard. What motivates me is this game.”
“I really don’t have any goals this season aside from making the playoffs and winning,” Mitchell said. “I’m just glad to be with the Kings, and I’m ready to work.”

i think it’s been a long time where our best players genuinely mean this (Fox, Ty, and Mitchell)

The official listed heights of ALL players in the NBA is with their shoes on.
For example, I'm 5'11.75 w/o shoes, but would be listed as 6'1 if I was in the NBA. I once stood next to Bobby Jaskson (listed at 6'1) and was the same height as him.
don’t trust publicized heights.

I met KJ once. He was listed at 6’1. Thought he’d be 5’11. Dude looked like he was 6’3 to 6’4 (with dress shoes on). Alternatively, AI was listed at 6 ft, but ran into him at a bar and dude was like 5’10 max.

I thought the NBA started doing barefoot heights, when they made all those listed changes a few years back.
So either way Mitchell is a little smaller than a Jrue Holiday or Avery Bradley.

So I'll ask the question, how are we going to keep Mitchell out of the starting lineup? When we are playing the Blazers for example, are we really going to let Davion come in for 20-25 min a game against mostly reserves? We need him against Lillard. After seeing him guard Bouknight, I don't see how you can have Mitchell coming off the bench. You NEED him to guard your best player. He has to guard the best player 1-3, he just has to.
Knowing Walton, I think we are going to see Mitchell and Haliburton kind of bounced around at times. One guy might play 40 minutes one night, 20 the next. Then flip flop the names.

I think it would make sense to keep Fox more fresh if possible with lesser mimutes so he can just go crazy in 4th quarters. He was 3rd in the league in 4th quarters last season
Well, that was just Walton being Walton so is it fixable? He just didn't grasp, and hasn't ever grasped the idea of rotations. He would play guys straight through and burn up players because it's just what he does. The minutes Fox and Barnes got were just right for what you need out of core players, but playing them 16-20 game minutes straight and sitting them for longer stretches in the middle of critical quarters ended up in the ways many of us were saying they would. With players ground to stump and racking up silly fatigue injuries.

“I really don’t have any goals this season aside from making the playoffs and winning,” Mitchell said. “I’m just glad to be with the Kings, and I’m ready to work.”

i think it’s been a long time where our best players genuinely mean this (Fox, Ty, and Mitchell)
Im not sure Fox really does or he wouldn’t be one of the worst defenders on the team. Mitchell is certainly going to get in his grill that’s for sure.